Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What are the Pac schools waiting for?
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
What are the Pac schools waiting for?
It’s already late February and I really doubt at this late stage a new suitor would show up. In other words, the Pac schools should know all of their media options by now. So what’s the holdup?

These are some possibilities I can think of:

1. Different schools prefer different media options. Maybe some schools are OK with 100% streaming but others are not.

2. UO and UW want an unequal revenue sharing before signing any media deal. This is possible but I guess they can fight over the unequal revenue sharing after the media deal.

3. UO and UW wait for a new B10 commissioner, hoping the new person may push for a further expansion. I doubt this is the case and we don’t even know when the new commissioner would start.

4 UO, Stanford, and UW wait for ND decision. This is very unlikely but if ND decides to join the B10, at least one school from Pac will be tagged along.

5. UO, UW and four corner schools are negotiating with B12 for a better term. Given B12’s interest, I don’t think the negotiation (if any) should take this long.

6. UO and UW and potentially some other schools are waiting for ACC’s invitation. I don’t think the ACC made up its mind yet.

7. Pac 12 schools are praying that a new suitor may magically show up or ESPN suddenly and inexplicably increase the offer.

Is there any other possibility? Until the Pac signs a media deal, wild speculations will continue.
02-23-2023 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
RE: What are the Pac schools waiting for?
These things take time...and I was told that media companies don't really do deals in the first month or two of the year. This probably explains why ESPN hasn't talked to the PAC 12 in weeks.
02-23-2023 01:41 PM
Hootyhoo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State
Deadlines make deals. They still have a lot of time.
02-23-2023 01:43 PM
Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
We have zero visibility into the process so trying to place external deadlines onto private internal affairs doesn’t make sense. I bet if they are juggling between ESPN, Amazon and even Apple that is a ton of negotiations that has to happen to appease all partners. It’s the off-season so everyone is bored and antsy for news here but I’m sure those in the know have their own roadmap and expectations that is divorced from what the public is wanting.
02-23-2023 01:49 PM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(02-23-2023 01:38 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  It’s already late February and I really doubt at this late stage a new suitor would show up. In other words, the Pac schools should know all of their media options by now. So what’s the holdup?

Is there any other possibility? Until the Pac signs a media deal, wild speculations will continue.

There's no very good option on the table, so all of your choices have downsides.

This is sort of close to your #7, PAC-12 schools are praying for ESPN to offer more money, or a new player to enter the game.
02-23-2023 01:50 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
The PAC 12 will wait it out. They sure as hell will never join the Big 12 like a lot of people think.
02-23-2023 01:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
April is the deadline

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2023 02:00 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
02-23-2023 01:57 PM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
Does the PAC have that many viewers to command a good deal? I never watch the PAC in anything because of the time zone issue. And the PAC is rarely good like the more eastern conferences so the games aren't as entertaining.
02-23-2023 02:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
(02-23-2023 01:38 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  It’s already late February and I really doubt at this late stage a new suitor would show up. In other words, the Pac schools should know all of their media options by now. So what’s the holdup?

1. Different schools prefer different media options. Maybe some schools are OK with 100% streaming but others are not.

2. UO and UW want an unequal revenue sharing before signing any media deal. This is possible but I guess they can fight over the unequal revenue sharing after the media deal.

3. UO and UW wait for a new B10 commissioner, hoping the new person may push for a further expansion. I doubt this is the case and we don’t even know when the new commissioner would start.

4 UO, Stanford, and UW wait for ND decision. This is very unlikely but if ND decides to join the B10, at least one school from Pac will be tagged along.

5. UO, UW and four corner schools are negotiating with B12 for a better term. Given B12’s interest, I don’t think the negotiation (if any) should take this long.

6. UO and UW and potentially some other schools are waiting for ACC’s invitation. I don’t think the ACC made up its mind yet.

7. Pac 12 schools are praying that a new suitor may magically show up or ESPN suddenly and inexplicably increase the offer.

Oregon and Washington hoping for a Big 10 offer is my main theory.

If those theories that the Big 10 won't be willing to invite Oregon and Washington until after the Four Corners bolt for the Big 12 are correct (because the Big Ten is afraid of bad public relations from destroying the PAC-12), then Oregon and Washington seriously have a bizarre motivation to deliberately wreck the PAC-12's TV contract negotiations. They have more tools at their disposal to do this than you might think, such as possibly both refusing to sign a GOR and agree to equal revenue sharing. It also wouldn't surprise me if Oregon and Washington were the parties who suggested Apple TV as a partner, with the deliberate goal of pissing off the Four Corners.
02-23-2023 02:50 PM
Sactowndog Offline
All American

I Root For: Fresno State Texas A&M
(02-23-2023 02:43 PM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  Does the PAC have that many viewers to command a good deal? I never watch the PAC in anything because of the time zone issue. And the PAC is rarely good like the more eastern conferences so the games aren't as entertaining.

They don’t have what their shills say they have. Look at the affinity maps related to Twitter and look at the Central Valley and the Central Coast. Cal and Stanford are non-entities.

Fresno has all of San Joaquin County, Sac State has Sacramento. Now granted the sample sizes are not super significant but it does indicate how confined to the Bay Area Cal and Stanford are.

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/m...ootballMap
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2023 04:35 PM by Sactowndog.)
02-23-2023 02:58 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
Can't announce a media deal until the conference knows what teams are in (what the media is paying for). Teams won't commit until they know the media deal. Catch 22 slowing things down.
02-23-2023 03:03 PM
Advertisement

Adler Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
It takes time. Kliavkoff first has to present his best media deal to the 10 remaining conference members.

If the media deal payout is larger per school and gets as much exposure as the Big12 there could be a consensus for the 10 schools to sign a short term Grant of Rights contract.

If not, the four corners schools will bolt for Big12 while at least two other members leave. Oregon and Washington may accept reduced payout in BIG10, or they could move with Stanford and Cal to the ACC. Either way, the PAC would no longer be a recognized NCAA conference of five schools that have spent a minimum of three years togther. There would be no exit fees and all accumulated Basketball Tourney earnings (which the NCAA banks for 4 years) will be sent directly to the schools that earned it.

OSU and WSU could be left owning a bankrupt conference with no media deal, no bowl tie-ins, and no auto-bid to the Big Dance. Their best move would then be to join the Mountain West along with tagalongs SDSU and SMU. The MWC could then rebrand itself as the PAC and everyone would be happy.
02-23-2023 03:23 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Kliakov is like Jordan Peele in the French Restaurant skit.

Talks a great game until it's time to deliver.

https://youtu.be/0BzGlfm1wFo
02-23-2023 03:57 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
The issue is that Oregon and Washington do not want a deal that has Streaming as Tier 1. Current deal is Amazon or Apple as Tier 1 and ESPN as Tier 2.

ESPN will not even pay more than 100M per year.

Basically one theory is that Oregon and Washington are stalling until the spring (thats when the BIG10 is suppose to have a new commish) and are hoping for a BIG10 invite. If that doesn’t come they have a invite to the Big12. The question becomes is it better to stay j the Pac12 or join the BIg12. It is going to be interesting.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2023 04:05 PM by GTFletch.)
02-23-2023 04:04 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
Apparently some ACC schools are just now realizing this could be them in ten years and maybe they should consider so proactive measures.
02-23-2023 04:11 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(02-23-2023 03:23 PM)Adler Wrote:  It takes time. Kliavkoff first has to present his best media deal to the 10 remaining conference members.

If the media deal payout is larger per school and gets as much exposure as the Big12 there could be a consensus for the 10 schools to sign a short term Grant of Rights contract.

If not, the four corners schools will bolt for Big12 while at least two other members leave. Oregon and Washington may accept reduced payout in BIG10, or they could move with Stanford and Cal to the ACC. Either way, the PAC would no longer be a recognized NCAA conference of five schools that have spent a minimum of three years togther. There would be no exit fees and all accumulated Basketball Tourney earnings (which the NCAA banks for 4 years) will be sent directly to the schools that earned it.

OSU and WSU could be left owning a bankrupt conference with no media deal, no bowl tie-ins, and no auto-bid to the Big Dance. Their best move would then be to join the Mountain West along with tagalongs SDSU and SMU. The MWC could then rebrand itself as the PAC and everyone would be happy.

One problem. The expanded MWC / "PAC" will not earn anywhere near the numbers the other 'power' conferences are getting. Nor will they have a guaranteed playoff berth.
02-23-2023 04:22 PM
Advertisement

Sactowndog Offline
All American

I Root For: Fresno State Texas A&M
(02-23-2023 04:22 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  
(02-23-2023 03:23 PM)Adler Wrote:  It takes time. Kliavkoff first has to present his best media deal to the 10 remaining conference members.

One problem. The expanded MWC / "PAC" will not earn anywhere near the numbers the other 'power' conferences are getting. Nor will they have a guaranteed playoff berth.

No conference has a guaranteed play-off birth. But if the PAC-12 dies a reasonable chance exists the merged PAC/MWC will be a top 6 conference.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2023 06:59 PM by Sactowndog.)
02-23-2023 04:38 PM
Adler Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(02-23-2023 04:22 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

No, they will have a guaranteed playoff berth if they are the MWC and just rename themselves as the "PAC". They can still make this work, it will just be the current MWC with OSU, WSU, and SMU and maybe NMSU/UTEP added. They may or may not be able to use the PAC name which will still be owned by the old PCC schools.
02-23-2023 05:34 PM
Adler Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(02-23-2023 02:50 PM)Poster Wrote:  Oregon and Washington hoping for a Big 10 offer is my main theory.

If those theories that the Big 10 won't be willing to invite Oregon and Washington until after the Four Corners bolt for the Big 12 are correct (because the Big Ten is afraid of bad public relations from destroying the PAC-12), then Oregon and Washington seriously have a bizarre motivation to deliberately wreck the PAC-12's TV contract negotiations. They have more tools at their disposal to do this than you might think, such as possibly both refusing to sign a GOR and agree to equal revenue sharing. It also wouldn't surprise me if Oregon and Washington were the parties who suggested Apple TV as a partner, with the deliberate goal of pissing off the Four Corners.
At least three will refuse to sign the GOR, and at least six will cooperate to leave at the same time. The PAC will then be technically insolvent by NCAA bylaws (less than 5 schools together for less than 3 years) and there could not be exit fees. All accrued PAC finances (bowl payouts and tourney winnings) will be distributed directly to the schools that earned them.

What many don't realize is that Oregon and Washington could join the BIG10 at 50% payout for three years and still make more than what the PAC deal is reportedly offering. Then, they're golden after that as full members in their dream league.
It's almost the same for the "four corners schools". They can make more from the BIG12, have much better national exposure, avoid all PAC exit fees, and Arizona can claim their massive tourney winnings.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2023 05:56 PM by Adler.)
02-23-2023 05:43 PM
Adler Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
today's The Monty Show:

Oregon & Washington Are Bailing Out Of The PAC 12!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGBQa4PZ1_Q[/url]

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2022/11...nment.html
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2023 07:31 PM by Adler.)
02-23-2023 06:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.