Opening line: SEMO -4 total 146
02-22-2023 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jvbranson33 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Semo mens basketball
RE: LINDENWOOD
Need a night crowd at Lindenwood. Hit Big A's at 6. See you there.
02-22-2023 09:17 PM
Jvbranson33 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Semo mens basketball
Need a big crowd**
02-22-2023 09:18 PM
HoopsGuru Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: SEMO
(02-22-2023 09:17 PM)Jvbranson33 Wrote:  Need a night crowd at Lindenwood. Hit Big A's at 6. See you there.

Link: https://www.bigasontheriverfront.com/find-us
02-23-2023 03:07 PM
Captain Jackass Offline
Water Engineer

Anyone know where Russell is?
02-23-2023 09:37 PM
arich35 Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-23-2023 09:37 PM)Captain ******* Wrote:  Anyone know where Russell is?

Apparently suspended for a game by the OVC for repeated violations of the sportsmanship policy..

Slapping fans in the middle of the game is okay though and is handled by the University
02-23-2023 09:54 PM
Advertisement

Captain Jackass Offline
Water Engineer

I don't know what it is about this team but they make an art of getting technicals called on the other team.
02-23-2023 09:58 PM
Captain Jackass Offline
Water Engineer

(02-23-2023 09:54 PM)arich35 Wrote:  
(02-23-2023 09:37 PM)Captain ******* Wrote:  Anyone know where Russell is?

Apparently suspended for a game by the OVC for repeated violations of the sportsmanship policy..

Slapping fans in the middle of the game is okay though and is handled by the University
Let's join the Horizon
02-23-2023 10:01 PM
arich35 Offline
Bench Warmer

Blew a 20 point 2nd half lead. Tie game with 50 seconds left
Can't hit free throws, think announcers said we were 8-18.
02-23-2023 11:06 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(02-23-2023 11:06 PM)arich35 Wrote:  Blew a 20 point 2nd half lead. Tie game with 50 seconds left
Can't hit free throws, think announcers said we were 8-18.

Unbelievable. You beat Lindenwood and we (LR) are in the tournament. Now It looks like we will have to beat them on their homecourt Saturday to get in.
02-23-2023 11:25 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

Well that was crazy. You have to pull it out now.
02-23-2023 11:32 PM
Advertisement

Captain Jackass Offline
Water Engineer

I mean, come on. You have to hit 70% from the line, and you certainly need to get buckets under the basket.
02-23-2023 11:55 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

Still can't believe you blew it. Does that cost you the double bye- maybe not with all the crazy results.
02-23-2023 11:56 PM
semosupporter Online
2nd String

I Root For: Southeast Missouri St.
I don't even know what to say after this give away.
02-24-2023 12:15 AM
arich35 Offline
Bench Warmer

So many missed closed shots and free throws, we really blew the 2 seed with that collapse. Lindenwood had 4 guys fouled out for pretty much the whole 2nd OT and we were gifted two free throws and still couldn't win.
02-24-2023 12:41 AM
semosupporter Online
2nd String

Most of you will probable disagree with me but I put this loss ALL on Phillip Russell. I knew at some point during the year his mouth was going to cost us a game. He let himself, his teammates, and his school down by his continued antics. They were very selfish actions. He's a great player and I love the kid but he has to learn just to play the game and shut the hell up. If this doesn't wake him up then nothing will.
02-24-2023 08:19 AM
Advertisement

HoopsGuru Offline
Water Engineer

(02-24-2023 08:19 AM)semosupporter Wrote:  Most of you will probable disagree with me but I put this loss ALL on Phillip Russell. I knew at some point during the year his mouth was going to cost us a game. He let himself, his teammates, and his school down by his continued antics. They were very selfish actions. He's a great player and I love the kid but he has to learn just to play the game and shut the hell up. If this doesn't wake him up then nothing will.

I agree. I have held off saying it all year, "You can take the Wolverine out of Vashon, but you cannot take the Vashon out of the Wolverine!"
02-24-2023 10:02 AM
Grussman94 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southeast Missouri State
(02-24-2023 08:19 AM)semosupporter Wrote:  Most of you will probable disagree with me but I put this loss ALL on Phillip Russell. I knew at some point during the year his mouth was going to cost us a game. He let himself, his teammates, and his school down by his continued antics. They were very selfish actions. He's a great player and I love the kid but he has to learn just to play the game and shut the hell up. If this doesn't wake him up then nothing will.

I agree with you but, at the same time, even without Russell, we should have absolutely beaten Lindenwood...period...even on the road. No excuses.

That said, even though Russell is a special talent, if he wants to be the man, he obviously has to learn to lead in all facets and that includes controlling his actions/reactions. It's his decision. Over the course of the season, I'm not so sure some of the technicals didn't indirectly cost us another game or two.

I don't know if Russell's last technical (against Southern Indiana?) was something more egregious or if it's just the sheer volume of technicals over the course of the season, but I do question the OVC's timing. It's not like there haven't been plenty of opportunities to hand down discipline before now. But with two games to play, in the heat of a conference race for a #2 seed and double-bye, NOW they do something?

I have a hard time thinking the suspension was completely out of the blue but I wonder if SEMO might have preemptively handled it "internally" (but made it known publicly) and sat Russell for a game or even two at some earlier point that the OVC might have been satisfied? Seemed to work for EIU. But that begs the question of which game(s) would you sit him.
02-24-2023 10:59 AM
semosupporter Online
2nd String

(02-24-2023 10:59 AM)Grussman94 Wrote:  

I agree with you but, at the same time, even without Russell, we should have absolutely beaten Lindenwood...period...even on the road. No excuses.

That said, even though Russell is a special talent, if he wants to be the man, he obviously has to learn to lead in all facets and that includes controlling his actions/reactions. It's his decision. Over the course of the season, I'm not so sure some of the technicals didn't indirectly cost us another game or two.

I don't know if Russell's last technical (against Southern Indiana?) was something more egregious or if it's just the sheer volume of technicals over the course of the season, but I do question the OVC's timing. It's not like there haven't been plenty of opportunities to hand down discipline before now. But with two games to play, in the heat of a conference race for a #2 seed and double-bye, NOW they do something?

I have a hard time thinking the suspension was completely out of the blue but I wonder if SEMO might have preemptively handled it "internally" (but made it known publicly) and sat Russell for a game or even two at some earlier point that the OVC might have been satisfied? Seemed to work for EIU. But that begs the question of which game(s) would you sit him.

I know for certain that he has been talked to about it in the past. I agree that we should have absolutely won anyhow but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I know it won't be made public if it does happen (and it shouldn't be) but he needs to man up and apologize to his coaches and teammates for letting them down and assure them that this will not happen again. How will he respond? Will he sulk around (everyone is just picking on me) or come out focused and have a HUGE game. I vote for the HUGE game Saturday.
02-24-2023 11:28 AM
Grussman94 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southeast Missouri State
(02-24-2023 11:28 AM)semosupporter Wrote:  
(02-24-2023 10:59 AM)Grussman94 Wrote:  

I know for certain that he has been talked to about it in the past. I agree that we should have absolutely won anyhow but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I know it won't be made public if it does happen (and it shouldn't be) but he needs to man up and apologize to his coaches and teammates for letting them down and assure them that this will not happen again. How will he respond? Will he sulk around (everyone is just picking on me) or come out focused and have a HUGE game. I vote for the HUGE game Saturday.

I agree and vote for a HUGE game on Saturday as well. In order for it to not continue happening he's really going to have to overcompensate for a while with good behavior as he's made a bad name for himself with the refs. They're looking to T him up and I don't necessarily blame them. As you said, he just needs to be quiet and also watch his body language.
02-24-2023 11:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.