Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who Will the Pac 12 Sign Its TV Agreement With? | ESPN | AppleTV | Amazon Prime
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Who Will the Pac 12 Sign Its TV Agreement With? | ESPN | AppleTV | Amazon Prime
David Smoak, Paul Catalina, and Craig Smoak of 365 Sports discuss how linear television compares to cable, who will team up with the Pac 12 for its TV agreement, and more.

Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4QwHtb_wH8
02-15-2023 08:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
RE: Who Will the Pac 12 Sign Its TV Agreement With? | ESPN | AppleTV | Amazon Prime
PBS

They got get that window after the reruns of Joy of Painting to hope the viewers stay for the game. Also have SMU in that early time slot right after Sesame St. to get those young viewers
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2023 08:27 PM by Fresno St. Alum.)
02-15-2023 08:23 PM
World Wide Swag Offline
Banned

I Root For: $MU and Vols
RE: Who Will the Pac 12 Sign Its TV Agreement With? | ESPN | AppleTV | Amazon Prime
Seems like Amazon/ESPN is most likely

I was surprised to read this today. I knew the streaming revolution was coming fast, but had no idea we were already at this point: https://news.yahoo.com/digital-video-vie...05586.html
02-15-2023 09:48 PM
Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
TikTok and MySpace Mobile is my bet
02-15-2023 09:53 PM
Owls9878 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
Snapchat likely the best option
02-15-2023 10:01 PM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(02-15-2023 08:23 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  PBS

They got get that window after the reruns of Joy of Painting to hope the viewers stay for the game. Also have SMU in that early time slot right after Sesame St. to get those young viewers

To be fair, PBS used to show Ivy League games so there is precedence.
02-15-2023 10:03 PM
Advertisement

jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
Straight to consumer with a shift in focus from sports to lifestyle programming.

Bill Walton’s PAC Jam psychedelic battle of the bands.

Who wants to marry a Buffalo? The PAC 12 dating show.

Project trackfield: PAC students compete to get a Nike shoe line.

Cal’s all-vegan tailgate cook off!

PAC12’s got vocal talent! A singing competition judged by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Green thumbs- who can grow the PAC’s best buds.

Before this ship goes under it needs to let its PAC spirit shine
02-15-2023 10:04 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
ESPN/Amazon mix

$308m
$28m for each of the 10 current Pacs
$14m for SMUDSU
02-15-2023 10:26 PM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
They might be able to resurrect Jefferson Pilot Sports. If not then, Stadium. If they want a streaming option Facebook has experience broadcasting college football.

Sent from my LM-G820 using CSNbbs mobile app
02-15-2023 10:27 PM
World Wide Swag Offline
Banned

I Root For: $MU and Vols
(02-15-2023 10:26 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  ESPN/Amazon mix

$308m
$14m for SMUDSU
Hoo boy, as an SMU fan we'll take 2X+ what we're making now but that'd be a tough number to stomach for the existing schools. Not enough to make any moves but that would be a real disappointment.
02-15-2023 10:28 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(02-15-2023 10:04 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  Straight to consumer with a shift in focus from sports to lifestyle programming.

Bill Walton’s PAC Jam psychedelic battle of the bands.

Who wants to marry a Buffalo? The PAC 12 dating show.

Project trackfield: PAC students compete to get a Nike shoe line.

PAC12’s got vocal talent! A singing competition judged by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Green thumbs- who can grow the PAC’s best buds.

Before this ship goes under it needs to let its PAC spirit shine

Why did you put this realistic option in the same place as these jokes?
02-15-2023 10:30 PM
Advertisement

jrj84105 Offline
All American

I’m not really joking. The PAC-N should never have been all sports. There’s simply not enough content for all the channels. There’s no reason why PAC LA shouldn’t be airing a live performance of UCLA’s current theater production:

SuperAmerica (New Play Festival #1)
By Malick Ceasay
Directed by Bruce Lemon Jr.
A trio of co-workers devises a plan to throw a rap concert inside a gas station with high hopes to settle debts and pivot toward new horizons. Despite all efforts, the harsh realities of capitalism pin the workers against one another, questioning their ability to fully commit and find a collective rhythm.
Performances
February 23-24, 2023, 8:00 p.m.
February 25, 2023, 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
Macgowan 1340

And also the PAC should have paired with its university PBS stations to re-air sports programming.

Going solo with the PAC networks was dumb. But if you’re going without a for-profit partner that really removed all of the constraints of being a typical sports network. It should have been a PACN, not a PAC sports N. If PAC alums don’t care about sports, the network should have reflected those varied interests.

Also, it’s a ******* tragedy that the engineering departments didn’t have robot battles. I would watch the **** out of that. Several of our schools actually had real teams that were competitive on BattleBots.

https://attheu.utah.edu/facultystaff/the...for-glory/
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2023 10:46 PM by jrj84105.)
02-15-2023 10:42 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

That’s why I hate Larry Scott and everybody else driving the PACN.

Once they realized it was a financial flop but all the broadcast equipment was paid for they showed absolutely zero creativity in using the insane amount of freedom they had in promoting and engaging in unconventional ways.

So much talent and creativity in the conference and they wasted its biggest tool on reruns of sporting events nobody watched live.
02-15-2023 10:53 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(02-15-2023 10:42 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  I’m not really joking. The PAC-N should never have been all sports. There’s simply not enough content for all the channels. There’s no reason why PAC LA shouldn’t be airing a live performance of UCLA’s current theater production:

SuperAmerica (New Play Festival #1)
By Malick Ceasay
Directed by Bruce Lemon Jr.
A trio of co-workers devises a plan to throw a rap concert inside a gas station with high hopes to settle debts and pivot toward new horizons. Despite all efforts, the harsh realities of capitalism pin the workers against one another, questioning their ability to fully commit and find a collective rhythm.
Performances
February 23-24, 2023, 8:00 p.m.
February 25, 2023, 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
Macgowan 1340

And also the PAC should have paired with its university PBS stations to re-air sports programming.

Going solo with the PAC networks was dumb. But if you’re going without a for-profit partner that really removed all of the constraints of being a typical sports network. It should have been a PACN, not a PAC sports N. If PAC alums don’t care about sports, the network should have reflected those varied interests.

Also, it’s a ******* tragedy that the engineering departments didn’t have robot battles. I would watch the **** out of that. Several of our schools actually had real teams that were competitive on BattleBots.

https://attheu.utah.edu/facultystaff/the...for-glory/

This is a brilliant idea
02-15-2023 11:08 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

Also the fact that “No Truckstops” (a Bill Walton hosted Amazing Race-style game where teams of PAC students compete across the PAC footprint) doesn’t exist is a travesty.
02-16-2023 11:23 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(02-15-2023 10:28 PM)World Wide Swag Wrote:  
(02-15-2023 10:26 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  ESPN/Amazon mix

$308m
$14m for SMUDSU
Hoo boy, as an SMU fan we'll take 2X+ what we're making now but that'd be a tough number to stomach for the existing schools. Not enough to make any moves but that would be a real disappointment.

Only a disappointment in relation to the incredibly unrealistic numbers that Kliavkoff and company have been floating around for 6 months. I think that they've burned a lot of legitimate media sources, too, they've gotten the "real media" types to predict $35-40m++ for awhile now. Maybe I'm wrong though and they're about to sign a $420m deal with 12 full members making $35m a year, but even that lower-than-allegedly-expected number seems like a pipe dream now.

$308m for 12 teams is a mild disappointment but not bad enough to break up the Conference. They'll have at least a glimmer of hope that they'll surpass the big 12 in their next media rights negotiation, giving the Presidents an excuse to maintain their preferred course and stay in the Pac.

If Kliavkoff can finagle a way to get the existing teams more than $31.7m then I'll be very impressed.
02-16-2023 12:01 PM
Advertisement

Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
Nobody.

That's it. That's the answer.
02-16-2023 12:10 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

Essentially the BYU-TV model.

The school owns a network that globally serves the mission of the school. The network “buys” content from the athletic department at P5 prices.
The school writes off the network losses as part of its academic mission.

BYU-TV paid cable/satellite providers to carry the channel. The PAC would like charge a subscription fee in a direct to consumer model to offset some of the operational costs. If the networks are offering $25M/yr, you’re looking at a $50M max outlay to try going completely solo.

And really what these cable entities fear the most is a la carte. That’s how you get them to spend a little money to prevent the B1G and SEC from getting big ideas.

$20M per year is not a huge writ
02-16-2023 01:14 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
My WAG:

Amazon: Gets Saturday PRIME time slot GoW (1st pick), including the CCG
ESPN: Gets twice as many games, half are Saturday 4th window, the rest flex Friday night (prime time or 4th window) or Saturday on ESPN networks
ESPN+: Airs Pac-12 Network for all the rest (just over half the football games)
ESPN also get a number of MBB and WBB games to air on their networks, all the rest on "P12N with ESPN+."

Amazon and ESPN pay about $150m each, ESPN+ pays $30-40m (likely the higher figure because of so much football content)
Roughly $30m for the ten members, maybe $15-20m for the two new members.

I could be high by $10m for each provider, in which case the distributions would be more like $28m for the ten and $14m for the new schools.

It's enough to keep the Pac-12 in the game, but the low visibility will be near fatal. It's only a matter of time before it goes the way of the Big East, probably around 2030.
02-16-2023 01:24 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(02-16-2023 01:24 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  My WAG:

Amazon: Gets Saturday PRIME time slot GoW (1st pick), including the CCG
ESPN: Gets twice as many games, half are Saturday 4th window, the rest flex Friday night (prime time or 4th window) or Saturday on ESPN networks
ESPN+: Airs Pac-12 Network for all the rest (just over half the football games)
ESPN also get a number of MBB and WBB games to air on their networks, all the rest on "P12N with ESPN+."

Amazon and ESPN pay about $150m each, ESPN+ pays $30-40m (likely the higher figure because of so much football content)
Roughly $30m for the ten members, maybe $15-20m for the two new members.

I could be high by $10m for each provider, in which case the distributions would be more like $28m for the ten and $14m for the new schools.

It's enough to keep the Pac-12 in the game, but the low visibility will be near fatal. It's only a matter of time before it goes the way of the Big East, probably around 2030.

ESPN Disney usually doesn't split up the rights fees between the Mothership and ESPN+. They could always start, and there was a rumor that flew around months ago that the PAC would do that, but I figure that ESPN is going to offer a number, and negotiate the details of what coverage gurarantees the PAC gets and what content ESPN doesn't get because it's being sold to someone else (Amazon GOTW?)
02-16-2023 01:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.