Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the MAC rooting for the other conferences to weaken C-USA to attract WKU & MTSU?
Bookmark and Share
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
Is the MAC rooting for the other conferences to weaken C-USA to attract WKU & MTSU?
So with SDSU and SMU potentially joining the PAC-12, is it a good assumption that the MAC is rooting for the MWC, AAC, and SBC (if they lose a member to the AAC) to replenish their leagues with 2 C-USA members not Western Kentucky or Middle Tennessee? One would think that C-USA will hit a point where WKU and MTSU gives up on C-USA and/or accepts that AAC may never call (MTSU). It should be a benefit for all involved for MTSU/WKU to join the MAC, and C-USA will just keep rebuilding with FCS members no matter who leaves to avoid folding.
02-08-2023 12:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
RE: Is the MAC rooting for the other conferences to weaken C-USA to attract WKU & MTSU?
No, I have no problem with WKU or MTSU joining the MAC, but neither program does anything to elevate the conference as a whole, at least not materially. The MAC would still very much be a 1 bid conference in basketball, and would still be competing with the SBC to be the 3/4 best G5 conference in football.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2023 03:24 PM by kreed5120.)
02-08-2023 01:07 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: Is the MAC rooting for the other conferences to weaken C-USA
"Rooting" is a strong word. While the addition of Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee might be a reasonable decision for the MAC to make at some point, it's not exactly a moonshot for the conference. (I do respect Western Kentucky, though.)

I'm surprised the Pac 12 is possibly this interested in Southern Methodist. It doesn't seem like a strong fit to me. SMU is at best the sixth-best FBS program in Texas (and I'd argue seventh-best given that the Big 12 already passed on them and took Houston instead).

It will be interesting to see how the Mountain West responds. Texas-El Paso used to be in the same league with many of these schools (the WAC). Do they look there again? Or is this North Dakota State's moment?
02-08-2023 01:29 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
RE: Is the MAC rooting for the other conferences to weaken C-USA to attract WKU & MTSU?
I'd like CUSA to be a joke, so we are further from being the joke. If that happens, MTSU and WKU may see the MAC as a step up. Having a team flirt with the top 25, win some P5 games, and continue bowl success should achieve that.

I want a wrench thrown into divisions. If it takes 2 more teams to do so, that's cool.
02-08-2023 01:41 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
The way I can see the PAC-12 being "interested" in SMU is between Amazon and ESPN, they get told to get the money they want, Amazon wants a Friday prime time and Saturday prime time game they can self-advertise on MNF, and ESPN wants the Saturday night light slot, and then the rest is going on ESPN+, and they get more money when there is 5-6 games to choose from than when there is 4-5 games ... in particular two schools having a bye during the conference round means that ESPN's late night game would be the third best of four games.

Then they add SDSU and have to add a #12. SMU is not a great pick, but if there were great picks to choose from, the PAC would have already expanded with them. I can easily see it coming down to either SMU or Hawaii FB-only.

Something like the above would explain why it's taking so long, since AD's would not be happy with having only one home game on linear cable, and that at a terrible time slot for viewership in the rest of the country, but if it's what is needed to match or get slightly more than the Big12, they have to talk their way through to agreeing to it.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2023 02:00 PM by BruceMcF.)
02-08-2023 01:58 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
WKU and MTSU not that exciting of an add. More of the same, maybe a few slightly warmer fall football games?
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2023 04:20 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
02-08-2023 04:18 PM
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
WKU is a no-brainer IMHO. Solid football and hoops and would bolster the MAC in both respects. MTSU? I dunno. They have shown that they can catch fire quickly (at least in hoops), but Staystill (sic) will never leave the FB team and that is a disaster for them.
02-10-2023 11:24 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
RE: Is the MAC rooting for the other conferences to weaken C-USA to attract WKU & ...
(02-10-2023 11:24 AM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  WKU is a no-brainer IMHO. Solid football and hoops and would bolster the MAC in both respects. MTSU? I dunno. They have shown that they can catch fire quickly (at least in hoops), but Staystill (sic) will never leave the FB team and that is a disaster for them.

Stock wins bowl games and goes .500. Not many titles but Jason Candle light for sure. They whooped the Huricanes in Coral Gables this past year.
02-11-2023 08:00 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
How much weaker can C-DOA get? Even if they lost more schools there are replacements. The A-Sun and WAC schools say they want to move up.
02-12-2023 05:40 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

On the OP question, no, the MAC is not rooting for that. If MTSU changes their mind and ESPN is still up for a revenue increase with the pair, obviously they'll take the call, ...

... but they aren't waiting with bated breath for the call to come.
02-13-2023 07:03 PM
astr083 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State & MAC
RE: Is the MAC rooting for the other conferences to weaken C-USA to attract WKU & ...
No interest in either MTSU or WKU.... Neither school brings anything to the conference. Just more schools to split revenue with....No thanks.

UMass, Temple, Delaware, and Army.... I would be good with any 2 of those schools joining.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2023 11:14 AM by astr083.)
02-13-2023 09:09 PM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(02-13-2023 09:09 PM)astr083 Wrote:  No interest in either MTSU or WKU.... Neither school brings anything to the conference. Just more schools to split revenue with....No thanks.

UMass, Temple, Delaware, and Army.... I would be good with 2 of those schools joining.

+1 (add Marshall to the list)
02-14-2023 09:31 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(02-13-2023 09:09 PM)astr083 Wrote:  No interest in either MTSU or WKU.... Neither school brings anything to the conference. Just more schools to split revenue with....No thanks.

UMass, Temple, Delaware, and Army.... I would be good with any 2 of those schools joining.

Yep.... because the programs of UMASS and Temple bring anything to the table except for dog **** football programs and Army is an Indy and isn't joining a conference until they have too.
02-14-2023 01:22 PM
astr083 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State & MAC
(02-14-2023 01:22 PM)utpotts Wrote:  

Yep.... because the programs of UMASS and Temple bring anything to the table except for dog **** football programs and Army is an Indy and isn't joining a conference until they have too.

UMass & Temple won't always be losing like this.... I have a feeling UMass could be a sleeping giant if they can turn things around. Temple can come to the MAC and compete, but they won't be winning any championships right away. Both schools would help the league in basketball, but not by much.
02-15-2023 09:03 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
A perfect scenario would have Marshall back in the MAC along with WKU joining …
Two very good overall athletic programs/a past history with the Herd/ while maintaining a tight geographical footprint …
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2023 09:08 AM by FMRocket.)
02-15-2023 09:07 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(02-15-2023 09:03 AM)astr083 Wrote:  
(02-14-2023 01:22 PM)utpotts Wrote:  

UMass & Temple won't always be losing like this.... I have a feeling UMass could be a sleeping giant if they can turn things around. Temple can come to the MAC and compete, but they won't be winning any championships right away. Both schools would help the league in basketball, but not by much.

The last time Temple was in the MAC they couldn't beat a school with a winning record and their program is in even worse shape now than it was in the 2000's. UMASS had their chance and left. How would they be a sleeping giant?? They have been an absolute dumpster fire since coming up to FBS.
02-15-2023 09:30 AM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
It isn't going to happen, but I would welcome Temple and UMass. These are fine institutions that I would like to have as peers.
02-15-2023 10:33 AM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(02-15-2023 10:33 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  It isn't going to happen, but I would welcome Temple and UMass. These are fine institutions that I would like to have as peers.

Agree, but they wont join as they feel they are so much better than the MAC. They were only members in football until they got their act together and UMASS has not gotten together yet. Once Temple left and UMASS was #13 and didn't want in on all sports their participation ended.
02-17-2023 12:09 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Dear MAC Members,
Are we going to have another thousand comment thread about who should, or not be a member of the MAC? Let's please give this a rest.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2023 02:27 PM by Ken Barna.)
02-17-2023 02:00 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

(02-17-2023 02:00 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear MAC Members,
Are we going to have another thousand comment thread about who should, or not be a member of the MAC? Let's please give this a rest.

See, the thing is ...

... you can give it a rest on your own behalf by just not going into threads talking about it, ...

... without having to try to dictate to other people whether they can talk about possible MAC conference realignment on a message board that just so happens to have an entire forum that is dedicated to talking incessantly about conference realignment.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2023 08:45 PM by BruceMcF.)
02-18-2023 08:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.