Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SoCon expansion
shizzle787 Online
1st String

I Root For: UConn
SoCon expansion
Certain SoCon institutions declined interest from the CAA last year, and the SoCon schools all agreed to a 2 million dollar exit fee. That sets the stage for the following:

With no league above them affecting their schools, will the SoCon explore expansion to 12 or 14 schools, and does the league have a chance to swipe CAA institutions?

With the four CAA additions, and the SoCon's place in the basketball hierarchy, would Charleston and UNC Wilmington consider joining the SoCon as it is the better league likely going forward and both are basketball schools?

Who else would be a legitimate SoCon expansion candidate?
02-07-2023 02:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

andybible1995 Online
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
RE: SoCon expansion
(02-07-2023 02:19 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Certain SoCon institutions declined interest from the CAA last year, and the SoCon schools all agreed to a 2 million dollar exit fee. That sets the stage for the following:

With no league above them affecting their schools, will the SoCon explore expansion to 12 or 14 schools, and does the league have a chance to swipe CAA institutions?

With the four CAA additions, and the SoCon's place in the basketball hierarchy, would Charleston and UNC Wilmington consider joining the SoCon as it is the better league likely going forward and both are basketball schools?

My picks would be:

Austin Peay
Bellarmine
Eastern Kentucky
Lipscomb
North Alabama
Queens
Tennessee Tech
UT Martin
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2023 03:11 PM by andybible1995.)
02-07-2023 02:44 PM
Hootyhoo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State
(02-07-2023 02:44 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  
(02-07-2023 02:19 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Certain SoCon institutions declined interest from the CAA last year, and the SoCon schools all agreed to a 2 million dollar exit fee. That sets the stage for the following:

My picks would be:

Austin Peay
Bellarmine
Eastern Kentucky
Lipscomb
North Alabama
Queens
Tennessee Tech
UT Martin

It's hard for me to see EKU going to a league with a large exit fee. They want fbs asap. Going to socon would signal they've basically given up on that and want to stay fcs.
02-07-2023 03:48 PM
JSUCleburneslim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
(02-07-2023 03:48 PM)Hootyhoo Wrote:  

My picks would be:

Austin Peay
Bellarmine
Eastern Kentucky
Lipscomb
North Alabama
Queens
Tennessee Tech
UT Martin

It's hard for me to see EKU going to a league with a large exit fee. They want fbs asap. Going to socon would signal they've basically given up on that and want to stay fcs.

The same for Peay and Tuna.
02-07-2023 07:59 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I don’t see the SoCon adding any more full members unless someone from the Big South emerges as a strong candidate.

Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern would die for fb affiliate status and honestly, I think letting them in would be a good thing because they’d pad some wins for most of the rest of the conference
02-07-2023 08:47 PM
lion1983 Online
1st String

I Root For: North Alabama
(02-07-2023 07:59 PM)JSUCleburneslim Wrote:  

My picks would be:

Austin Peay
Bellarmine
Eastern Kentucky
Lipscomb
North Alabama
Queens
Tennessee Tech
UT Martin

UNA would go to the SoCon Way before going FBS if had a choice in the matter...
02-07-2023 08:57 PM
Advertisement

Clueless Fan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: the underdog
I believe the SoCon only desires the CAA south teams, specifically W&M and UR but would accept Elon, CoC, and UNCW to get W&M and UR back.
02-07-2023 09:17 PM
Clueless Fan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: the underdog
If Tennessee Tech was better at football and basketball then I could see some interest. But TTU has been horrible forever.
02-07-2023 09:19 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Bellarmine needs to make their football team a varsity team.
02-07-2023 09:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
andybible1995 Online
All American

Why would 2 Carolina based schools leave a conference that just added Campbell, who's another Carolina based school?
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2023 11:32 PM by andybible1995.)
02-07-2023 11:26 PM
andybible1995 Online
All American

(02-07-2023 09:17 PM)Clueless Fan Wrote:  I believe the SoCon only desires the CAA south teams, specifically W&M and UR but would accept Elon, CoC, and UNCW to get W&M and UR back.

Why would any of these schools leave when the CAA just added Campbell?
02-07-2023 11:27 PM
Advertisement

shizzle787 Online
1st String

(02-07-2023 11:26 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  

Why would 2 Carolina based schools leave a conference that just added Campbell, who's another Carolina based school.

Because A) neither school has football, B) the SoCon projects to be the better basketball league, C) the SoCon is more stable, and D) the CAA added a lot of weaker programs in the last 12 months.
02-07-2023 11:30 PM
andybible1995 Online
All American

(02-07-2023 11:30 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  

Why would 2 Carolina based schools leave a conference that just added Campbell, who's another Carolina based school.

Because A) neither school has football, B) the SoCon projects to be the better basketball league, C) the SoCon is more stable, and D) the CAA added a lot of weaker programs in the last 12 months.

From what I've heard, the SoCon isn't interested in adding anyone at this time. They prefer to stay at 10 members for basketball. That gives them a round robin format. Why would they give that up to add 2 schools?
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2023 11:34 PM by andybible1995.)
02-07-2023 11:34 PM
shizzle787 Online
1st String

(02-07-2023 11:34 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  

From what I've heard, the SoCon isn't interested in adding anyone at this time. They prefer to stay at 10 members for basketball. That gives them a round robin format. Why would they give that up to add 2 schools?
They can keep a round robin with 10 schools. It would be 22 games. The Horizon did that last season. Also, if they raid the CAA, the SoCon would now be higher than the CAA in the hierarchy, and the former's only fear of raid would be from FBS leagues or the Atlantic 10.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2023 11:45 PM by shizzle787.)
02-07-2023 11:45 PM
andybible1995 Online
All American

My picks would be:

Austin Peay
Bellarmine
Eastern Kentucky
Lipscomb
North Alabama
Queens
Tennessee Tech
UT Martin

There hasn't been any reports lately about them joining the C-USA. Plus, there are conflicting reports about whether or not WKU would allow them to join. One side says that WkU would block them from joining, while the other side says that the athletic director of WKU would have no problem with them being in the conference.
02-07-2023 11:45 PM
ballantyneapp Online
All American

I Root For: App
(02-07-2023 09:17 PM)Clueless Fan Wrote:  I believe the SoCon only desires the CAA south teams, specifically W&M and UR but would accept Elon, CoC, and UNCW to get W&M and UR back.

That would be a sweet socon. Tribe fans are great. The bball tourney would be fun as well.
02-08-2023 12:06 AM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(02-07-2023 08:57 PM)lion1983 Wrote:  
(02-07-2023 07:59 PM)JSUCleburneslim Wrote:  

My picks would be:

Austin Peay
Bellarmine
Eastern Kentucky
Lipscomb
North Alabama
Queens
Tennessee Tech
UT Martin

UNA would go to the SoCon Way before going FBS if had a choice in the matter...

UNA would have an in-state opponent in Samford University. Do you guys have any history together??
02-08-2023 12:47 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA

If I am not mistaken, Elon burned its bridges with the SoCon when they left for the CAA. Think LaTech & the SunBelt.

I don't think CoC wants to go back to the SoCon, from what I have heard. If they leave for anywhere, it will be the A10.

UR is in the A10. No go there, unless W&M says they will join fully if UR gets a football invite.

UNCW would be a maybe.

I can see UNA also. I don't think SAM (what I will call Samford from now on) would oppose UNA, and would probably like having an opponent they can bus to!!!

I have heard Chattanooga would like to play UNA as well. Not sure how Chatty feels about Austin Peay.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2023 12:59 AM by DawgNBama.)
02-08-2023 12:57 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7

Chattanooga have expressed interest to join an FBS conference. They was not interested in the CAA.
02-08-2023 01:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
andybible1995 Online
All American

(02-08-2023 01:04 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Chattanooga have expressed interest to join an FBS conference. They was not interested in the CAA.

Chattanooga would not go anywhere near the CAA, let alone the FBS. Chattanooga had an opportunity to join the FBS when App State and Georgia Southern moved up, but they turned it down. The chances of them joining the FBS anytime soon are slim to none.
02-08-2023 02:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.