Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

kao
Bookmark and Share
roachman48 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
kao
is being Willie Kemped (Coach mishandling player's playing time) by Penny.
Yesterday and other games, Kao spends 90-100% of the game on the bench in the second half. This is not a foul trouble issue. It is Penny's sometimes screwy substitution habits.
Kao is 6'10 with a craaazy vertical leap. We are undersized in the post. DW is a multiple position player. We put him in the post because we need him there. He is the backbone of this team. I do not want to criticize him. He serves us well by getting in their and banging with the opponents post players.

We need more. Malcolm D is out . When/if he returns , he will not be in shape. Reserve player, Chandler Lawson comes in and does a decent job. I do not have a problem with how he is utilized. But again, we need more. That is not enough.
Kao is skilled. I do admit there is some rawness with his game. But, he is easily the best rim protector and shot blocker on the team. When he is in the game, we are no longer undersized.
IMHO, he is being mismanaged.
I will be first to admit that Penny and staff know more about basketball than I do. They know more about this team than I do.
But, this is frustrating.
02-05-2023 08:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
RE: kao
I’ve been one to want Kao to play more but this was a bad matchup for him. But Penny should play more zone and zone press with him in the game. As for Willie Kemp he got as much playing time as he deserved on a team with Rose, CDR and Anderson. Calipari gave him a chance to be the point guard in 2009 and he failed. Pastner the same his senior year.
02-05-2023 09:05 AM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
It was Chandler who was misused yesterday, and Kennedy
02-05-2023 09:22 AM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

I Root For: Truffles
Kao
-----------
MIN 13
REB 4
AST 0
STL 0
BLK 0
PTS 0

C. Lawson
-----------
MIN 10
REB 6
AST 0
STL 1
BLK 1
PTS 5
02-05-2023 09:24 AM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
I feel sorry for Kao and Kennedy. They have a coach who doesn't know how to make a lineup and puts nepotism above all else.
02-05-2023 10:09 AM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-05-2023 10:09 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  I feel sorry for Kao and Kennedy. They have a coach who doesn't know how to make a lineup and puts nepotism above all else.

I feel sorry for people who can't see that in spite of playing more minutes, Kao didn't earn additional playing time. In fact one could argue that if Kao didn't play at all, we win the game.
02-05-2023 10:27 AM
Advertisement

Titans3775 Offline
All American

(02-05-2023 10:27 AM)msu35 Wrote:  
(02-05-2023 10:09 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  I feel sorry for Kao and Kennedy. They have a coach who doesn't know how to make a lineup and puts nepotism above all else.

I feel sorry for people who can't see that in spite of playing more minutes, Kao didn't earn additional playing time. In fact one could argue that if Kao didn't play at all, we win the game.

Yea and they would be stupid. The starting lineup extended or kept the lead in both halves before being pulled permanently. Instead Penny went with a lineup that had proven it couldn't get over the hump (just like UCF twice) and we lost yet again because somehow Jayden and Jonathan were a better lineup than two starters.
02-05-2023 10:33 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
This team is going to be interesting once ALo comes back. The current players seem to have developed a great chemistry without him, yesterdays effort notwithstanding. How will that chemistry hold up once ALo returns? That same question could be asked of Dandridge, perhaps to a lesser degree since he has never been good for more than 20-25 minutes a game in his entire history here (not really a knock on him since he's been injured or rehabbing for much of his tenure).
02-05-2023 10:38 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(02-05-2023 10:33 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  

Yea and they would be stupid. The starting lineup extended or kept the lead in both halves before being pulled permanently. Instead Penny went with a lineup that had proven it couldn't get over the hump (just like UCF twice) and we lost yet again because somehow Jayden and Jonathan were a better lineup than two starters.

Jayden did some good things for us yesterday but is he the guy I want handling the ball with 8 seconds left in the game? Hell no.

Yesterdays loss was mostly on coach. We could have overcome the poor free throw shooting, Tulane did. Clock management and play calling in the closing minutes were the difference.
02-05-2023 10:42 AM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

The only thing that's stupid is not realizing that zero points is zero points. Look at the rest of the stats. No blocks and less rebounds too, and he played more minutes. Would have been nice if C. Lawson played the entire game. Probably would have provided the scoring needed to overcome our one point loss. The math is pretty straightforward.

If you noticed, I never mentioned J. Hardaway or J. Lawson. I specifically mentioned Kao. Good job moving the goalposts when you can't argue with what I wrote.
02-05-2023 10:43 AM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-05-2023 10:42 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

Jayden did some good things for us yesterday but is he the guy I want handling the ball with 8 seconds left in the game? Hell no.

Yesterdays loss was mostly on coach. We could have overcome the poor free throw shooting, Tulane did. Clock management and play calling in the closing minutes were the difference.

Only a moron would fault J. Hardaway in yesterday's game. He was among the top scorers. If we benched Kao and played Chandler for most of it, he probably would have snagged a few more rebounds, and given us the additional points to overcome the one point deficit.
02-05-2023 10:45 AM
Advertisement

Titans3775 Offline
All American

(02-05-2023 10:43 AM)msu35 Wrote:  

The only thing that's stupid is not realizing that zero points is zero points. Look at the rest of the stats. No blocks and less rebounds too, and he played more minutes. Would have been nice if C. Lawson played the entire game. Probably would have provided the scoring needed to overcome our one point loss. The math is pretty straightforward.

If you noticed, I never mentioned J. Hardaway or J. Lawson. I specifically mentioned Kao. Good job moving the goalposts when you can't argue with what I wrote.

I don't even know why I reply to you. You have some horrendous basketball takes and it literally requires explaining stuff to you like you are 5.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2023 10:49 AM by Titans3775.)
02-05-2023 10:48 AM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

Yea he played good in the first half and then inexplicably played a bajillion minutes in the 2nd half and overtime despite just taking up space.
02-05-2023 10:51 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(02-05-2023 10:45 AM)msu35 Wrote:  

Only a moron would fault J. Hardaway in yesterday's game. He was among the top scorers. If we benched Kao and played Chandler for most of it, he probably would have snagged a few more rebounds, and given us the additional points to overcome the one point deficit.

Well, I think I was pretty clearly in Juniors corner yesterday but I stand by my statement that he is NOT the guy I want handling the ball in the closing seconds of a tight game. Even though he stood there dribbling away 4 seconds, that wasn't his fault. KD couldn't break free from his defender. But I would rather have had a better ball handler taking the inbounds.
02-05-2023 10:54 AM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-05-2023 10:48 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  
(02-05-2023 10:43 AM)msu35 Wrote:  The only thing that's stupid is not realizing that zero points is zero points. Look at the rest of the stats. No blocks and less rebounds too, and he played more minutes. Would have been nice if C. Lawson played the entire game. Probably would have provided the scoring needed to overcome our one point loss. The math is pretty straightforward.

I don't even know why I reply to you. You have some horrendous basketball takes.

I have the horrendous takes? J. Hardaway was fourth for scoring yesterday. C. Lawson's stats for less minutes destroy Kao's stats. If anyone has a bad take it's certainly not me. Look in the mirror.

Again:

Kao
-----------
MIN 13
REB 4
AST 0
STL 0
BLK 0
PTS 0

C. Lawson
-----------
MIN 10
REB 6
AST 0
STL 1
BLK 1
PTS 5

Hardaway
-----------
MIN 26
FG 4-5
3P 2-2
PTS 11

Argue against the facts bud.
02-05-2023 10:55 AM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-05-2023 10:54 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  Well, I think I was pretty clearly in Juniors corner yesterday but I stand by my statement that he is NOT the guy I want handling the ball in the closing seconds of a tight game. Even though he stood there dribbling away 4 seconds, that wasn't his fault. KD couldn't break free from his defender. But I would rather have had a better ball handler taking the inbounds.

Completely agree with that take. Could have really used Lomax for that job.
02-05-2023 10:56 AM
Advertisement

msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-05-2023 10:48 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  I don't even know why I reply to you. You have some horrendous basketball takes and it literally requires explaining stuff to you like you are 5.

I see you edited your post to throw out more childish nonsense. The only person who needs things explained to them is the simpleton who can't look at the stats and realize that they're wrong. Kao was a liability and J. Hardaway was fourth in points. You really aren't very bright are you?
02-05-2023 11:03 AM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
kao
None of our bigs (debatable that CL is a 5) are super talented and the best one we have is hurt. It would be great if the ones left could consistently make a 2 ft shot, but they can’t. That’s about where things stand at the center position. This was a glaring weakness before the season started and it shouldn’t shock anyone where things stand now (especially with MD out).

DeAndre has done his best to fill in, but he’s not a 5. Kudos to him for the work he did on the boards yesterday (17 rebounds).
02-05-2023 12:13 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-05-2023 12:13 PM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  None of our bigs (debatable that CL is a 5) are super talented and the best one we have is hurt. It would be great if the ones left could consistently make a 2 ft shot, but they can’t. That’s about where things stand at the center position. This was a glaring weakness before the season started and it shouldn’t shock anyone where things stand now (especially with MD out).

DeAndre has done his best to fill in, but he’s not a 5. Kudos to him for the work he did on the boards yesterday (17 rebounds).

Couldn't agree more. I suppose the primary thing C. Lawson has going for him is his wing span. Over 7' if my memory isn't failing me, so that helps make up for his lack of height. He also has a great attitude and I've never heard him complain about losing his starting spot and coming off the bench. I have great respect for that.
02-05-2023 12:31 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(02-05-2023 10:54 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(02-05-2023 10:45 AM)msu35 Wrote:  
(02-05-2023 10:27 AM)msu35 Wrote:  I feel sorry for people who can't see that in spite of playing more minutes, Kao didn't earn additional playing time. In fact one could argue that if Kao didn't play at all, we win the game.

Well, I think I was pretty clearly in Juniors corner yesterday but I stand by my statement that he is NOT the guy I want handling the ball in the closing seconds of a tight game. Even though he stood there dribbling away 4 seconds, that wasn't his fault. KD couldn't break free from his defender. But I would rather have had a better ball handler taking the inbounds.

The pass inbounds should have been to KD, who drives and shoots, gets fouled, or draws so much attention, that he finds someone underneath or we rebound his miss.
02-05-2023 12:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.