Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Bates
Bookmark and Share
ItsDude Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Bates
Goes for 35 tonight.....shot 26 times......EMU loses again....6-16 now. Don't miss Emoni!
02-04-2023 12:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
RE: Bates
(02-04-2023 12:45 AM)ItsDude Wrote:  Goes for 35 tonight.....shot 26 times......EMU loses again....6-16 now. Don't miss Emoni!

Emoni is terrific on offense, unfortunately for Bates, basketball is a team game, which also includes assisting and helping your teammates and defending the opposition..Bates has a lot to work on.
02-04-2023 07:52 AM
passat25 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-04-2023 12:45 AM)ItsDude Wrote:  Goes for 35 tonight.....shot 26 times......EMU loses again....6-16 now. Don't miss Emoni!

Dude.. he is playing subpar competition in Eastern Michigan.. End of story.
02-04-2023 10:42 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
But, he got his, right? Lol
02-04-2023 10:45 AM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

I Root For: Truffles
(02-04-2023 10:42 AM)passat25 Wrote:  

I don't understand why people fail to accept this. If he were doing this for a decent team, sure; but Eastern Michigan is bottom of the barrel swill and playing teams that aren't much better. Franklin was putting up great numbers at a low tier school, for example. How's he doing scaled up at Memphis?
02-04-2023 11:29 AM
Stammers Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
I don't agree with most on this one. He was supposed to be in his senior year of high school when he was with us. He took 9 shots per game, shot 39% and 33% from outside, all while being told that he was going to be the man.

When he was on the bench at the end of the season, he had GREAT body language, cheered on the team without fail, and when he scored his first basket, the entire bench was genuinely excited for him. I think he would be a much different player with us this year than he was last year, and that he is this year. I bet he would be a pretty good teammate; I bet KD would create a bunch of shots for him, and I bet he would be knocking down close to 40% of them from outside, well within the framework of being a good team player.
02-04-2023 12:15 PM
Advertisement

msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-04-2023 12:15 PM)Stammers Wrote:  I don't agree with most on this one. He was supposed to be in his senior year of high school when he was with us. He took 9 shots per game, shot 39% and 33% from outside, all while being told that he was going to be the man.

When he was on the bench at the end of the season, he had GREAT body language, cheered on the team without fail, and when he scored his first basket, the entire bench was genuinely excited for him. I think he would be a much different player with us this year than he was last year, and that he is this year. I bet he would be a pretty good teammate; I bet KD would create a bunch of shots for him, and I bet he would be knocking down close to 40% of them from outside, well within the framework of being a good team player.

He doesn't suck on offense, but I'm not convinced he'd be putting up those crazy numbers at a high caliber school playing tough competition. I'm also concerned that he'd be very weak defensively. He just doesn't appear to be well rounded, almost like the way Kao has been so far - a one trick pony. I do admit that Bates's trick is much more valuable between the two.
02-04-2023 12:21 PM
Stammers Online
Legend

(02-04-2023 12:21 PM)msu35 Wrote:  
(02-04-2023 12:15 PM)Stammers Wrote:  I don't agree with most on this one. He was supposed to be in his senior year of high school when he was with us. He took 9 shots per game, shot 39% and 33% from outside, all while being told that he was going to be the man.

He doesn't suck on offense, but I'm not convinced he'd be putting up those crazy numbers at a high caliber school playing tough competition. I'm also concerned that he'd be very weak defensively. He just doesn't appear to be well rounded, almost like the way Kao has been so far - a one trick pony. I do admit that Bates's trick is much more valuable between the two.

He wouldn't put up those numbers at all here. He would put up the same 8-9 shots per game he did here, shoot at the same percentages he is this year, and average around 12 points per game. I'm sure his defense would be fine.
02-04-2023 12:38 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-04-2023 12:38 PM)Stammers Wrote:  He wouldn't put up those numbers at all here. He would put up the same 8-9 shots per game he did here, shoot at the same percentages he is this year, and average around 12 points per game. I'm sure his defense would be fine.

Completely agree regarding points. As far as defense goes, going to have to disagree. His DBPM is -3.0 which puts him in eighth place on a horrible team playing horrible competition.
02-04-2023 12:43 PM
Fluke Online
1st String

I really don’t like Bates… at all. But as far as scoring goes I think he could do that almost anywhere if they let him take those shots. It’s the rest of his game that would be exposed even more.
02-04-2023 02:27 PM
memphis mania Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Agree. I've always said this about Emoni. He was never a bad team-mate. That wasn't the problem. The problem is that there was talent log at that position he plays. He could average 30 at E Mich and you would have people say he would have been a net negative for us. I disagree wholeheartedly. We could have used him this year
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2023 02:41 PM by memphis mania.)
02-04-2023 02:40 PM
Advertisement

msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-04-2023 02:27 PM)Fluke Wrote:  

I really don’t like Bates… at all. But as far as scoring goes I think he could do that almost anywhere if they let him take those shots. It’s the rest of his game that would be exposed even more.

Well, that doesn't factor in the much stronger defense that comes with teams that aren't hovering in the 300's in the NET. He can shoot, but he gets way more open looks than he would playing on a good team playing good teams.
02-04-2023 02:41 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-04-2023 02:40 PM)memphis mania Wrote:  

Agree. I've always said this about Emoni. He was never a bad team-mate. That wasn't the problem. The problem is that there was talent log at that position he plays. He could average 30 at E Mich and you would have people say he would have been a net negative for us. I disagree wholeheartedly. We could have used him this year

One word: defense.
02-04-2023 02:42 PM
memphis mania Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
E. Mich were 11 point dogs going into that gane and they lost by 1. Eastern Michigan as a team sucks. Bates is definitely not their problem
02-04-2023 02:42 PM
Fluke Online
1st String

(02-04-2023 02:41 PM)msu35 Wrote:  
(02-04-2023 02:27 PM)Fluke Wrote:  

Well, that doesn't factor in the much stronger defense that comes with teams that aren't hovering in the 300's in the NET. He can shoot, but he gets way more open looks than he would playing on a good team playing good teams.

The way I look at it is his fg% increased 5%, 3pt 4%, and ft 13% compared to Memphis. I don’t think it would have been out of the question for the same thing to have happened at Memphis. Those aren’t eye popping increases. The open look thing can go both ways. If he was here people would still have to pay attention to the other teammates. Kendrick getting him better looks etc.. I imagine he also faces a lot of double teams or junk defenses like box and 1 at EMU being the only focal point.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2023 02:49 PM by Fluke.)
02-04-2023 02:46 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-04-2023 02:42 PM)memphis mania Wrote:  E. Mich were 11 point dogs going into that gane and they lost by 1. Eastern Michigan as a team sucks. Bates is definitely not their problem

Never said that he was, but his defense sucks and outside of being a shooter, he doesn't bring much. Against a real defense and with players who expect to get shot opportunities too, he definitely isn't scoring like that either.
02-04-2023 02:48 PM
Advertisement

msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-04-2023 02:46 PM)Fluke Wrote:  The way I look at it is his fg% increased 5%, 3pt 4%, and ft 13% compared to Memphis. I don’t think it would have been out of the question for the same thing to have happened at Memphis. Those aren’t eye popping increases. The open look thing can go both ways. If he was here people would still have to pay attention to the other teammates. I imagine he also faces a lot of double teams or junk defenses like box and 1 at EMU being the only focal point.

Again, consider the level of defense he's facing compared to what he'd get here or at another school that's top-50 in the NET.
02-04-2023 02:49 PM
Fluke Online
1st String

(02-04-2023 02:49 PM)msu35 Wrote:  
(02-04-2023 02:46 PM)Fluke Wrote:  The way I look at it is his fg% increased 5%, 3pt 4%, and ft 13% compared to Memphis. I don’t think it would have been out of the question for the same thing to have happened at Memphis. Those aren’t eye popping increases. The open look thing can go both ways. If he was here people would still have to pay attention to the other teammates. I imagine he also faces a lot of double teams or junk defenses like box and 1 at EMU being the only focal point.

Again, consider the level of defense he's facing compared to what he'd get here or at another school that's top-50 in the NET.

What I’m saying is don’t you think he would have also increased his %s at Memphis or anywhere else being a year older? Most every player does. His offensive talent and potential is obvious. Doesn’t matter what conference he is in. It’s the rest of his package that is the problem.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2023 02:54 PM by Fluke.)
02-04-2023 02:53 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(02-04-2023 02:53 PM)Fluke Wrote:  What I’m saying is don’t you think he would have also increased his %s at Memphis or anywhere else being a year older? Most every player does.

Sure, it's possible. Is it difficult to accept that the gains he's seeing this year could also be greatly assisted by playing against the bottom teams in the NCAA with correspondingly crappy defenses? Am I crazy to believe that a strong defense hurts the opposing offense's shooting percentage? I doubt it.
02-04-2023 02:55 PM
Fluke Online
1st String

(02-04-2023 02:55 PM)msu35 Wrote:  
(02-04-2023 02:53 PM)Fluke Wrote:  What I’m saying is don’t you think he would have also increased his %s at Memphis or anywhere else being a year older? Most every player does.

Sure, it's possible. Is it difficult to accept that the gains he's seeing this year could also be greatly assisted by playing against the bottom teams in the NCAA with correspondingly crappy defenses? Am I crazy to believe that a strong defense hurts the opposing offense's shooting percentage? I doubt it.

I don’t disagree with you that’s why I compared his % to Memphis last year and the increase wasn’t so eye popping that it seemed like that would have been unattainable here. It’s more than just opponent NET though. Would have to compare it to individual players that guard him. How often is he double teamed which is probably tougher than dealing with anyone besides an elite defender 1v1 etc… I don’t know how to quantify that.
02-04-2023 03:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.