Renovations for both Rickwood and Legion Fields 04-rock

5% living cost increase for city employees 03-yes
01-31-2023 03:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
RE: Birmingham Approves Share of Funding for Amphitheatre
I've heard really good things about the new Orion amphitheater in Huntsville. It was interesting to see that Live Nation plans to close Oak Mountain when the new one opens, but it doesn't surprise me. Seems more shows go to Tuscaloosa now, and I don't blame them. It's a better facility. Oak Mt. is a nightmare- from ingress/egress (both in the car and on foot into the venue), concessions, parking. I welcome a new outdoor music venue downtown.
01-31-2023 03:53 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
Like the idea of the new venue, but I have a lot of fond memories of shows at Oak Mountain and it will be missed. One thing, I do not think this is good for the spirit of regional cooperation. Oak Mountain generated a lot of revenue for Pelham and i read a new entertainment/dining facility is being developed directly across the street from the amphitheater. This will certainly hurt that.
01-31-2023 04:13 PM
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(01-31-2023 03:53 PM)BatesUAB Wrote:  I've heard really good things about the new Orion amphitheater in Huntsville. It was interesting to see that Live Nation plans to close Oak Mountain when the new one opens, but it doesn't surprise me. Seems more shows go to Tuscaloosa now, and I don't blame them. It's a better facility. Oak Mt. is a nightmare- from ingress/egress (both in the car and on foot into the venue), concessions, parking. I welcome a new outdoor music venue downtown.

agree... but (there's ALWAYS a 'but' on BlazerTalk, no? 03-lmfao ) - they REALLY need to get moving on some new parking decks... they are supposed to build one behind the West side of the stadium, not sure of any other new ones, unless the new Carraway project has one or more in it's scope... they tore down the existing decks, so... who knows?
01-31-2023 05:22 PM
BlazerDave Offline
1st String

(01-31-2023 05:22 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  
(01-31-2023 03:53 PM)BatesUAB Wrote:  I've heard really good things about the new Orion amphitheater in Huntsville. It was interesting to see that Live Nation plans to close Oak Mountain when the new one opens, but it doesn't surprise me. Seems more shows go to Tuscaloosa now, and I don't blame them. It's a better facility. Oak Mt. is a nightmare- from ingress/egress (both in the car and on foot into the venue), concessions, parking. I welcome a new outdoor music venue downtown.

agree... but (there's ALWAYS a 'but' on BlazerTalk, no? 03-lmfao ) - they REALLY need to get moving on some new parking decks... they are supposed to build one behind the West side of the stadium, not sure of any other new ones, unless the new Carraway project has one or more in it's scope... they tore down the existing decks, so... who knows?

This article says some of the parking decks are going to be renovated for future use.

https://constructionreviewonline.com/new...n-alabama/
01-31-2023 05:31 PM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
(01-31-2023 04:13 PM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  Like the idea of the new venue, but I have a lot of fond memories of shows at Oak Mountain and it will be missed. One thing, I do not think this is good for the spirit of regional cooperation. Oak Mountain generated a lot of revenue for Pelham and i read a new entertainment/dining facility is being developed directly across the street from the amphitheater. This will certainly hurt that.

I don't think they'll be too upset as long as the Bulls stay out there.
01-31-2023 06:01 PM
Advertisement

BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

(01-31-2023 06:01 PM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  
(01-31-2023 04:13 PM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  Like the idea of the new venue, but I have a lot of fond memories of shows at Oak Mountain and it will be missed. One thing, I do not think this is good for the spirit of regional cooperation. Oak Mountain generated a lot of revenue for Pelham and i read a new entertainment/dining facility is being developed directly across the street from the amphitheater. This will certainly hurt that.

I don't think they'll be too upset as long as the Bulls stay out there.

Very true. I forget about the Bulls being there.
01-31-2023 06:07 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(01-31-2023 05:31 PM)BlazerDave Wrote:  

This article says some of the parking decks are going to be renovated for future use.

cool - I figured some would remain... there's still some stuff there (I just drove by a few months back), but didn't know what was what over there... 03-drunk
01-31-2023 08:01 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

The development across the street from Oak Mountain includes apartments. I cannot see Oak Mountain, even with the City of Pelham wanting it to stay, remaining all that viable as residential development starts to creep in

Regional cooperation is one thing, but Birmingham didn't go seeking out this development. I am convinced that Live Nation and the real estate developers came to them with this plan. I am also not super convinced Live Nation won't shut down Oak Mountain anyway if they don't get this new facility
01-31-2023 09:47 PM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Time for BHM to get their public transportation figured out. Moving students and residents from the south side to what is becoming a large entertainment district at the BJCC and Carraway, also out to Crossplex, Legion and Rickwood.

Have another question. When they tore down BIR at the fairgrounds, they were supposed to rebuild a new race track. What about turning the horse/dog track at Birmingham Race Course into a auto track and bring back short track racing to Birmingham?

The current growth of metro Birmingham has been amazing over the last few years.

Now we just need to save BSC. 03-idea (Reminder, my son is a junior there, we need one more academic year out of them)
01-31-2023 10:03 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

(01-31-2023 10:03 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Time for BHM to get their public transportation figured out. Moving students and residents from the south side to what is becoming a large entertainment district at the BJCC and Carraway, also out to Crossplex, Legion and Rickwood.

Have another question. When they tore down BIR at the fairgrounds, they were supposed to rebuild a new race track. What about turning the horse/dog track at Birmingham Race Course into a auto track and bring back short track racing to Birmingham?

The current growth of metro Birmingham has been amazing over the last few years.

Now we just need to save BSC. 03-idea (Reminder, my son is a junior there, we need one more academic year out of them)

I believe the new Bus Rapid Transit line addresses some of those issues in town, but it's still limited and needs to be expanded. Mass transit outside of the city is still a massive issue that I don't see changing anytime soon. Unfortunately the US, especially the southeast, is way behind the rest of the world when it comes to the need for mass transit.

If BSC does shut down, where will your son go?
01-31-2023 11:01 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-31-2023 11:01 PM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  
(01-31-2023 10:03 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Time for BHM to get their public transportation figured out. Moving students and residents from the south side to what is becoming a large entertainment district at the BJCC and Carraway, also out to Crossplex, Legion and Rickwood.

I believe the new Bus Rapid Transit line addresses some of those issues in town, but it's still limited and needs to be expanded. Mass transit outside of the city is still a massive issue that I don't see changing anytime soon. Unfortunately the US, especially the southeast, is way behind the rest of the world when it comes to the need for mass transit.

He was in here duel degree program at BSC for engineering. Taking all the math class and such at BSC before transferring to UAB for a 5th year to get his engineering degree from UAB, with the mathematics degree from BSC. He would just transfer a year early and forego the BSC degree. That is if football is not an opportunity somewhere.
01-31-2023 11:31 PM
Advertisement

Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB

BRT is really a solid route once people look at it more like transit (which is what everyone claims they want) and not like driving your car. I live downtown and have taken it a few times, it'll drop you off a convenient walking distance to Avondale and Pepper Place. The thing that really frustrates me is that you can't bring anything on board with you, so if I wanted to bring a wagon to go to the Pepper Place market then you can't, or if I wanted to bring an electric scooter to get to my final destination quicker I can't do that either.

If we could get the Magic City Connector to be more consistent (or somehow switch it to a rapid route) then that's what the city really needs. MCC and BRT will get you just about anywhere you want for activities or date night or whatever. But MCC as is, I've tried to take it multiple times since moving downtown and it's never been running when I want to use it.
02-01-2023 09:50 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(02-01-2023 09:50 AM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  

BRT is really a solid route once people look at it more like transit (which is what everyone claims they want) and not like driving your car. I live downtown and have taken it a few times, it'll drop you off a convenient walking distance to Avondale and Pepper Place. The thing that really frustrates me is that you can't bring anything on board with you, so if I wanted to bring a wagon to go to the Pepper Place market then you can't, or if I wanted to bring an electric scooter to get to my final destination quicker I can't do that either.

If we could get the Magic City Connector to be more consistent (or somehow switch it to a rapid route) then that's what the city really needs. MCC and BRT will get you just about anywhere you want for activities or date night or whatever. But MCC as is, I've tried to take it multiple times since moving downtown and it's never been running when I want to use it.

I haven’t used BRT yet, but it sounds like Birmingham finally got some rapid transit that works like light rail, so it is a “We have this for convenience, but we are going to make it inconvenient to use” situation.
02-01-2023 10:20 AM
BlazerDave Offline
1st String

(01-31-2023 08:01 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  
(01-31-2023 05:31 PM)BlazerDave Wrote:  

cool - I figured some would remain... there's still some stuff there (I just drove by a few months back), but didn't know what was what over there... 03-drunk

The old hospital had about four or five parking structures. Some big and some smaller.
02-01-2023 12:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.