Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WWE Royal Rumble to take place on Saturday Night.
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
WWE Royal Rumble to take place on Saturday Night.
Because nobody wants to put their event on up against the NFL.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1178632/jim...day-night/

This is obviously mostly off-topic, but it's something we talk about a lot with College Football Playoff scheduling.

EDIT: If you don't know, pro wrestling pay-per-views (now known as Premium Live Events because they're not really PPV anymore) are usually on Sundays.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023 04:35 PM by johnbragg.)
01-26-2023 04:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kurtrundell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KU
RE: WWE Royal Rumble to take place on Saturday Night.
WWE actually switched most of its PPVs to Saturdays awhile back.
01-26-2023 06:33 PM
Chris02m1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Syracuse
(01-26-2023 04:27 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Because nobody wants to put their event on up against the NFL.

This is obviously mostly off-topic, but it's something we talk about a lot with College Football Playoff scheduling.

EDIT: If you don't know, pro wrestling pay-per-views (now known as Premium Live Events because they're not really PPV anymore) are usually on Sundays.

been saturday since sometime in 2022
01-26-2023 07:18 PM
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
Like stated earlier Saturday live PPV isn't new to anyone who watches wwe. It's a non story. If they were worried about the NFL they'd pull raw off of Monday nights. Which they haven't in 30 years I think.
01-26-2023 08:00 PM
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
WWE hasn’t had a PLE on a Sunday since June.
01-26-2023 08:07 PM
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
WWE is a lot like the Pac 12. Living on its past laurels.
01-26-2023 08:40 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(01-26-2023 08:40 PM)darkdragon99 Wrote:  WWE is a lot like the Pac 12. Living on its past laurels.

The WWE is valued at over $6 billion. If there is any comparison to its TV content, I guess you could say it is worth as much as the SEC (ESPN) and B1G (Fox) television contracts combined.

It will be fascinating to see who ultimately purchases it. My guess is Comcast, but I wouldn't count out Fox either.
01-26-2023 08:58 PM
Advertisement

whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(01-26-2023 04:27 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Because nobody wants to put their event on up against the NFL.

Result of Peacock picking up the WWE Network rights a couple of years ago.
01-26-2023 09:22 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
WWE is entertainment for people who like feeling their own neurons die.

07-coffee3
01-26-2023 10:11 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(01-26-2023 08:40 PM)darkdragon99 Wrote:  WWE is a lot like the Pac 12. Living on its past laurels.

The Attitude Era (1998-2001) was by far the golden age that’s impossible for their product to ever sniff, but revenue-wise they’ve exploded over the years. I don’t get it either - especially if you compare a 98-01 episode to today - but they’ve pulled it off somehow.
01-26-2023 10:34 PM
Advertisement

Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State

It's not much like the PAC at all.
The PAC involves sports.
01-27-2023 12:55 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
WWE makes virtually all its money from TV contracts and the Saudis. Their live event revenue is meniscal in comparison. If Comcast buys WWE, they won't have to pay the TV rights anymore, but they will still have to fund WWE production. It would be like producing a very expensive sitcom or drama
01-27-2023 09:07 AM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(01-27-2023 09:07 AM)solohawks Wrote:  WWE makes virtually all its money from TV contracts and the Saudis. Their live event revenue is meniscal in comparison. If Comcast buys WWE, they won't have to pay the TV rights anymore, but they will still have to fund WWE production. It would be like producing a very expensive sitcom or drama

Peacock is paying for the WWE NEtwork content (including the PPVs/ Premium Live Events) about what NBC Universal pays for RAW or Fox pays for Smackdown.

"Comcast buying WWE" is a popular theory, and WBD and Netflix executives have talked about "renting vs owning" in terms of sports rights. But I don't know what happens to a Comcast bid when they get a full picture of the expenses involved in actually keeping a WWE sized pro wrestling operation running. Not to mention the long term health insurance lawsuit liabilities involved.
01-27-2023 09:19 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(01-27-2023 09:19 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(01-27-2023 09:07 AM)solohawks Wrote:  WWE makes virtually all its money from TV contracts and the Saudis. Their live event revenue is meniscal in comparison. If Comcast buys WWE, they won't have to pay the TV rights anymore, but they will still have to fund WWE production. It would be like producing a very expensive sitcom or drama

Peacock is paying for the WWE NEtwork content (including the PPVs/ Premium Live Events) about what NBC Universal pays for RAW or Fox pays for Smackdown.

"Comcast buying WWE" is a popular theory, and WBD and Netflix executives have talked about "renting vs owning" in terms of sports rights. But I don't know what happens to a Comcast bid when they get a full picture of the expenses involved in actually keeping a WWE sized pro wrestling operation running. Not to mention the long term health insurance lawsuit liabilities involved.

Exactly!

And then their is the independent contractor situation.

Its a lot easier to sue a giant monolith corporation about employee v independent contractor status than it is to sue basically one individual who has the power to hold your career back if you do.
01-27-2023 09:21 AM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(01-27-2023 09:19 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  "Comcast buying WWE" is a popular theory, and WBD and Netflix executives have talked about "renting vs owning" in terms of sports rights. But I don't know what happens to a Comcast bid when they get a full picture of the expenses involved in actually keeping a WWE sized pro wrestling operation running. Not to mention the long term health insurance lawsuit liabilities involved.

WWE does not pay health insurance. That said, the talent is healthier than its ever been. How?

At the higher levels, WWE and AEW talent work a lot less--sometimes just once or twice a week. In the old days, they wrestled nearly every night just to make a living and sometimes two a days (Ric Flair once claimed to have wrestled 381 matches in a calendar year). That was also the era where if someone twisted a knee or got a concussion, they just hit the painkillers and went down that dark path. Today's talent has a higher upside and is more likely to take time off for injuries and get better because it's simply better for their long term income, and the writers will simply give them a break as to the stories. At least two Royal Rumble competitors are coming off extended time out of the ring due to injury.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2023 11:24 AM by DFW HOYA.)
01-27-2023 11:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.