Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Final" Massey Composite 2022 Rankings (top 15)
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
"Final" Massey Composite 2022 Rankings (top 15)
I put "Final" in quotes because who knows if some more computers will check in, but it has been over two weeks since the CFP title game and there are 73 that have, so I'm calling it:

1) Georgia
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State
4) Alabama
5) Tennessee
6) TCU
7) Penn State
8) Kansas State
9) LSU
10) Clemson
11) Utah
12) Oregon
13) USC
14) Washington
15) FSU

This largely comports with my qualitative judgment. Sure, Alabama is probably the second-best team but accomplishments have to factor in somewhere and the two B1G schools had fewer losses and/or more accomplishments.

On the other hand, I feel vindicated by LSU at #9. IMO the pollsters way-underrated them. They beat Purdue by literally a record-setting margin in their bowl and basically didn't budge from the #16/#17 position the polls had assigned them. LSU was really good, they just lost to two really good and two very talented opponents.

Anyway, a wrap on 2022, in my book.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2023 05:32 PM by quo vadis.)
01-25-2023 05:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: "Final" Massey Composite 2022 Rankings (top 15)
(01-25-2023 05:32 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I put "Final" in quotes because who knows if some more computers will check in, but it has been over two weeks since the CFP title game and there are 73 that have, so I'm calling it:

1) Georgia
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State
4) Alabama
5) Tennessee
6) TCU
7) Penn State
8) Kansas State
9) LSU
10) Clemson
11) Utah
12) Oregon
13) USC
14) Washington
15) FSU

This largely comports with my qualitative judgment. Sure, Alabama is probably the second-best team but accomplishments have to factor in somewhere and the two B1G schools had fewer losses and/or more accomplishments.

On the other hand, I feel vindicated by LSU at #9. IMO the pollsters way-underrated them. They beat Purdue by literally a record-setting margin in their bowl and basically didn't budge from the #16/#17 position the polls had assigned them. LSU was really good, they just lost to two really good and two very talented opponents.

16 or 17 low for LSU, but 9 way too high with 4 losses. They got stomped badly by Georgia and Tennessee and pretty thoroughly trashed by unranked 5-7 A&M. They also lost to FSU. Their only win against that top 15 was Alabama.

But then results on the field never seem to matter much to you!
01-25-2023 06:50 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(01-25-2023 05:32 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I put "Final" in quotes because who knows if some more computers will check in, but it has been over two weeks since the CFP title game and there are 73 that have, so I'm calling it:

1) Georgia
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State
4) Alabama
5) Tennessee
6) TCU
7) Penn State
8) Kansas State
9) LSU
10) Clemson
11) Utah
12) Oregon
13) USC
14) Washington
15) FSU

You couldn't even go an entire sentence of allowing people to believe that you thought bama was the 4th rather than 2nd best team, could you?
01-25-2023 08:57 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(01-25-2023 06:50 PM)bullet Wrote:  

1) Georgia
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State
4) Alabama
5) Tennessee
6) TCU
7) Penn State
8) Kansas State
9) LSU
10) Clemson
11) Utah
12) Oregon
13) USC
14) Washington
15) FSU

16 or 17 low for LSU, but 9 way too high with 4 losses. They got stomped badly by Georgia and Tennessee and pretty thoroughly trashed by unranked 5-7 A&M. They also lost to FSU. Their only win against that top 15 was Alabama.

LSU lost to 5-7 A&M by 15, and the game wasn't even that close. They lost by 20+ to both Tennessee and Georgia. But, sure, they were #9! Bama was a top team because of their close losses, but, I guess, LSU was a top team in spite of their blowout losses? Let's just call it what it is, the SEC is just better than everybody else. Right, Quo?

I feel like I have a significant bias in favor of all things SEC, and even I'm embarrassed by stuff like this sometimes.

edit: I was just looking at LSU's schedule for 2022, they had a negative point differential in SEC games because their 3 losses were so lopsided, and most of their wins were close. #9 you say?
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2023 09:14 PM by bryanw1995.)
01-25-2023 09:01 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

1) Georgia
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State
4) Alabama
5) Tennessee
6) TCU
7) Penn State
8) Kansas State
9) LSU
10) Clemson
11) Utah
12) Oregon
13) USC
14) Washington
15) FSU

About the bolded, well, it's not just me that thinks LSU was a top-10 team. The composite of 73 ranking systems in the MC thinks so too, and I imagine those systems take in to account "results on the field".

IMO, the pollsters and CFP underrated how strong the SEC was. The SEC really was "that much" better than anyone else. So to me, losses in the SEC shouldn't have been held against SEC teams much when comparing them to teams from other leagues. That hurt Alabama and it hurt Tennessee and LSU. Those teams consistently got compared negatively to schools from other conferences, particularly B12 and B1G schools, that simply did not play SEC schedules, which made no sense to me.

IIRC, no other conference laid a glove on a good SEC team all year, save for FSU beating LSU, a game that was played the first week of the season, and which FSU won by the margin of a missed extra point. That to my knowledge is the only loss any of the four top SEC teams suffered OOC all year. Meanwhile mediocre SEC teams beat the ACC and PAC champs.

IMO, if there ever was a year where the SEC should have had its own playoff, this was it. And when the post-season was played, I think that was proved out.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023 01:51 PM by quo vadis.)
01-26-2023 01:28 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(01-26-2023 01:28 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

1) Georgia
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State
4) Alabama
5) Tennessee
6) TCU
7) Penn State
8) Kansas State
9) LSU
10) Clemson
11) Utah
12) Oregon
13) USC
14) Washington
15) FSU

About the bolded, well, it's not just me that thinks LSU was a top-10 team. The composite of 73 ranking systems in the MC thinks so too, and I imagine those systems take in to account "results on the field".

IMO, the pollsters and CFP underrated how strong the SEC was. The SEC really was "that much" better than anyone else. So to me, losses in the SEC shouldn't have been held against SEC teams much when comparing them to teams from other leagues. That hurt Alabama and it hurt Tennessee and LSU. Those teams consistently got compared negatively to schools from other conferences, particularly B12 and B1G schools, that simply did not play SEC schedules, which made no sense to me.

IIRC, no other conference laid a glove on a good SEC team all year, save for FSU beating LSU, a game that was played the first week of the season, and which FSU won by the margin of a missed extra point. That to my knowledge is the only loss any of the four top SEC teams suffered OOC all year. Meanwhile mediocre SEC teams beat the ACC and PAC champs.

IMO, if there ever was a year where the SEC should have had its own playoff, this was it. And when the post-season was played, I think that was proved out.

All that was proven was that UGA was easily the best team in the country.

Meanwhile, the SEC excepting those 4, went 2-5 in bowls and usually got stomped. So it may have been that those fours records were inflated by wins over the bottom half of the SEC, including over teams like A&M who lost to Appalachian St., a mediocre Sun Belt team.

Wait, LSU didn't beat A&M! They, in fact, got thoroughly whipped by a team who got outplayed by a .500 team with a losing record in the Sun Belt. Tennessee did lose 63-38 to South Carolina, who lost their bowl to a team who got whipped at home by Marshall, a Sun Belt school who was at least 5-3 in the Sun Belt. And LSU and Tennessee both got destroyed by Georgia. LSU was down 35-10 at half and Tennessee down 24-6 at half, before UGA took their foot off the gas. I was at those two games. Neither one of them was ever in doubt. Alabama was just lucky they didn't have to play UGA. They lost to the two best teams they played and needed help from the refs to beat Texas, while A&M ran out of time at the Bama 2.
01-26-2023 01:49 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-26-2023 01:49 PM)bullet Wrote:  

1) Georgia
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State
4) Alabama
5) Tennessee
6) TCU
7) Penn State
8) Kansas State
9) LSU
10) Clemson
11) Utah
12) Oregon
13) USC
14) Washington
15) FSU

Meanwhile, the SEC excepting those 4, went 2-5 in bowls and usually got stomped. So it may have been that those fours records were inflated by wins over the bottom half of the SEC, including over teams like A&M who lost to Appalachian St., a mediocre Sun Belt team.

Wait, LSU didn't beat A&M! They, in fact, got thoroughly whipped by a team who got outplayed by a .500 team with a losing record in the Sun Belt. Tennessee did lose 63-38 to South Carolina, who lost their bowl to a team who got whipped at home by Marshall, a Sun Belt school who was at least 5-3 in the Sun Belt. And LSU and Tennessee both got destroyed by Georgia. LSU was down 35-10 at half and Tennessee down 24-6 at half, before UGA took their foot off the gas. I was at those two games. Neither one of them was ever in doubt. Alabama was just lucky they didn't have to play UGA. They lost to the two best teams they played and needed help from the refs to beat Texas, while A&M ran out of time at the Bama 2.

Yeah, five of the mediocre SEC teams that went 8-4 or 7-5 or 6-6 got stomped or lost in their bowl games. Not very meaningful IMO. To me, going 4-0 in NY6 games and winning the Citrus Bowl by a record margin is more meaningful than results in the Music City Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, and whatever other lesser bowls SEC teams lost.

Anyway, the composite tells the tale for me - even with those other bowl losses, I think it shows the SEC as being much stronger than any other conference, top to bottom.

And it has four SEC teams in the top 10, which makes very good sense to me.

Georgia? I agree that they were obviously the best team, way better than LSU or Tennessee. Nobody disputes that. Better than Alabama too. But IMO there's no way they lose by a zillion and one points to UGA like TCU did either.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023 02:27 PM by quo vadis.)
01-26-2023 01:59 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC

1) Georgia
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State
4) Alabama
5) Tennessee
6) TCU
7) Penn State
8) Kansas State
9) LSU
10) Clemson
11) Utah
12) Oregon
13) USC
14) Washington
15) FSU

You can say 9-4 overall if that fits your agenda SMDH
01-26-2023 04:13 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(01-26-2023 01:59 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

1) Georgia
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State
4) Alabama
5) Tennessee
6) TCU
7) Penn State
8) Kansas State
9) LSU
10) Clemson
11) Utah
12) Oregon
13) USC
14) Washington
15) FSU

Yeah, five of the mediocre SEC teams that went 8-4 or 7-5 or 6-6 got stomped or lost in their bowl games. Not very meaningful IMO. To me, going 4-0 in NY6 games and winning the Citrus Bowl by a record margin is more meaningful than results in the Music City Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, and whatever other lesser bowls SEC teams lost.

Anyway, the composite tells the tale for me - even with those other bowl losses, I think it shows the SEC as being much stronger than any other conference, top to bottom.

And it has four SEC teams in the top 10, which makes very good sense to me.

Georgia? I agree that they were obviously the best team, way better than LSU or Tennessee. Nobody disputes that. Better than Alabama too. But IMO there's no way they lose by a zillion and one points to UGA like TCU did either.

Don't think there is any doubt they were the strongest conference. But they weren't that far out ahead.
01-26-2023 04:47 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Massey conference rankings (average rankings of schools):
SEC 32.80
Big 12 39.40
Big 10 47.68
Pac 12 49.81
ACC 53.80
AAC 68.87
Ind 81.63
SBC 81.83
MWC 90.46
CUSA 93.85
MAC 98.48
01-26-2023 04:50 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

1) Georgia
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State
4) Alabama
5) Tennessee
6) TCU
7) Penn State
8) Kansas State
9) LSU
10) Clemson
11) Utah
12) Oregon
13) USC
14) Washington
15) FSU

Sagarin has LSU at #10

Massey rankings below LSU:

10 Clemson 11-3
11 Utah 10-4
12 Oregon 10-3
13 USC 11-3
14 Washington 11-2
15 Florida St 10-3
16 Oregon St 10-3
17 Texas 8-5

I can't say that any of those teams were demonstrably better than LSU. You can make as good a case for the Tigers at #9 as anyone.
01-26-2023 09:48 PM
Advertisement

WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
Feel like Tulane should be around 12 or 13. Pretty hard to justify a USC or Texas ahead of them.
01-27-2023 07:21 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

(01-26-2023 04:50 PM)bullet Wrote:  Massey conference rankings (average rankings of schools):
SEC 32.80
Big 12 39.40
Big 10 47.68
Pac 12 49.81
ACC 53.80
AAC 68.87
Ind 81.63
SBC 81.83
MWC 90.46
CUSA 93.85
MAC 98.48

Best year in SBC history and this was as close as they could come to the AAC? Overhyped.
01-27-2023 07:23 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
(01-27-2023 07:23 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(01-26-2023 04:50 PM)bullet Wrote:  Massey conference rankings (average rankings of schools):
SEC 32.80
Big 12 39.40
Big 10 47.68
Pac 12 49.81
ACC 53.80
AAC 68.87
Ind 81.63
SBC 81.83
MWC 90.46
CUSA 93.85
MAC 98.48

Best year in SBC history and this was as close as they could come to the AAC? Overhyped.

Run the math without UCF, UH, Cincinnati, and with the CUSA 6 added to the AAC. The tide is changing.
01-27-2023 08:09 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

(01-27-2023 08:09 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  
SEC 32.80
Big 12 39.40
Big 10 47.68
Pac 12 49.81
ACC 53.80
AAC 68.87
Ind 81.63
SBC 81.83
MWC 90.46
CUSA 93.85
MAC 98.48

Run the math without UCF, UH, Cincinnati, and with the CUSA 6 added to the AAC. The tide is changing.

That's dirty math. Again this was the best year ever for the SBC. Unlikely it notches the caliber of non-conference wins it notched this year every year. Not saying the SBC can't have some years where its the #1 G5 league but the takeover SBC posters have talked about looks pretty doubtful.
01-27-2023 08:16 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-27-2023 08:16 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
SEC 32.80
Big 12 39.40
Big 10 47.68
Pac 12 49.81
ACC 53.80
AAC 68.87
Ind 81.63
SBC 81.83
MWC 90.46
CUSA 93.85
MAC 98.48

That's dirty math. Again this was the best year ever for the SBC. Unlikely it notches the caliber of non-conference wins it notched this year every year. Not saying the SBC can't have some years where its the #1 G5 league but the takeover SBC posters have talked about looks pretty doubtful.

FWIW, I think the SBC's best year was the 2020 covid-shortened year. Might have been the best G5 conference that year, whereas this year, despite the early high-profile wins, the AAC was much better.
01-27-2023 08:27 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

2) Georgia
3) Michigan
4) Ohio State
1) Alabama
5) Tennessee
6) TCU
7) Penn State
8) Kansas State
9) LSU
10) Clemson
11) Utah
12) Oregon
13) USC
14) Washington
15) FSU

There quo, I fixed it for you.
01-27-2023 08:36 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
SEC 32.80
Big 12 39.40
Big 10 47.68
Pac 12 49.81
ACC 53.80
AAC 68.87
Ind 81.63
SBC 81.83
MWC 90.46
CUSA 93.85
MAC 98.48

That "dirty math" reflects the 2022 performance of AAC members this coming Fall season. Suggesting all 6 of the CUSA schools joining will instantly elevate to the level of the departing schools is wishful thinking at best.
01-28-2023 12:21 AM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

(01-28-2023 12:21 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
SEC 32.80
Big 12 39.40
Big 10 47.68
Pac 12 49.81
ACC 53.80
AAC 68.87
Ind 81.63
SBC 81.83
MWC 90.46
CUSA 93.85
MAC 98.48

That "dirty math" reflects the 2022 performance of AAC members this coming Fall season. Suggesting all 6 of the CUSA schools joining will instantly elevate to the level of the departing schools is wishful thinking at best.

I think the SBC won 5 games against the P5 this year, next year I’d expect that to drop back down to 1 or 2 wins. That’s going to have to be offset with a stellar performance against the other G5 leagues, namely the American. Good news is there does appear to be plenty of games in the H2H so we should have a good feel for how the leagues truly stack up.
01-28-2023 02:33 AM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams

1) Georgia
2) Michigan
3) Ohio State
4) Alabama
5) Tennessee
6) TCU
7) Penn State
8) Kansas State
9) LSU
10) Clemson
11) Utah
12) Oregon
13) USC
14) Washington
15) FSU

Despite beating (#8) Kansas State and (#13) USC, Tulane is not listed in the top 15 of the Massey Composite rankings, which have consistently under-ranked the non-P5 teams, suggesting a possible pro-P5 bias, when compared with the AP and Coaches rankings.

In contrast, both the final AP (sportswriters) and Coaches polls ranked Tulane #9th, and that may be considered more authoritative than the Massey composite, in some respects.

Tulane was ranked #16 in the final CFP poll - - but that was before their NY6 bowl victory over (#10) USC, so it seems like the Green Wave would have been ranked at least #15th if there had been a final, post-season CFP poll in January.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Further evidence of potential pro-P5 bias in the Massey Composite:

Number of non-P5 teams in the final top 30 of the Massey Composite: two.

Number of non-P5 teams in the final AP top 30: six.

Number of non-P5 teams in the final Coaches Poll top 30: six.

Number of non-P5 teams in the final CFP top 25: three.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Interestingly, the apparent pro-P5 bias in the Massey Football Composite is not apparent in the Massey Basketball Composite, suggesting that the trends aren't systematic in Massey's system, but in the ranking systems that comprise the two composites.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2023 04:32 AM by Milwaukee.)
01-28-2023 04:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.