Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scott Rolen vs Lance Berkman
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Scott Rolen vs Lance Berkman
Scott Rolen made the baseball Hall of Fame today - the only player to make the Hall this year. I'm not really sure why Rolen got in and Lance Berkman didn't gain any momentum towards making it as the process continued for Lance.

Here's a comparison of the two (and they played roughly in the same era)

Berkman - 1879 games (1999-2013)
Rolen - 2038 games (1996-2012)

Berkman - 366 HR, 1234 RBI, .943 OPS, 51.9 WAR
Rolen - 316 HR, 1287 RBI, .855 OPS, 70.1 WAR

Rolen was a different position (3B compared to mostly 1B for Lance), and a much better fielder (7 gold gloves). I think ultimately Lance's career ending quicker cost him those 2000 hits and 400 homers (maybe), and those seem to be the milestones baseball writers are looking for. And he was hurt by the tougher competition to get into the Hall than someone like Rolen.

Still, I find it hard to believe that someone can make a solid case as to why Rolen deserves the Hall of Fame, and Lance never came close to getting in.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023 07:38 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
01-24-2023 07:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
RE: Scott Rolen vs Lance Berkman
Couldn't agree more. Lance was a far superior hitter than Rolen. Rolen had good power, but struck out a ton. And Lance was not bad defensively. Let's not forget he played CF for a couple years there.

Lance made 6 all-star games and finished in the Top 10 in MVP voting 6 times (3 times in Top 3).

Rolen made 7 all-star appearances, but finished in the Top 10 in MVP voting just once.
01-24-2023 10:56 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice
Plus, Lance was one of the best switch hitters in MLB history.
01-25-2023 11:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(01-24-2023 07:31 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Still, I find it hard to believe that someone can make a solid case as to why Rolen deserves the Hall of Fame, and Lance never came close to getting in.

The reason likely has almost nothing to do with the straightforward math.
01-25-2023 11:52 AM
Advertisement

RiceBull Offline
2nd String

Same reason he isn't coaching at Rice perhaps?
01-25-2023 12:21 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(01-25-2023 12:21 PM)RiceBull Wrote:  Same reason he isn't coaching at Rice perhaps?

He's not head coaching at Rice for one reason and one reason only-- he had no previous D1 coaching experience when we had the opening.
01-25-2023 12:28 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2023 12:28 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(01-25-2023 12:21 PM)RiceBull Wrote:  Same reason he isn't coaching at Rice perhaps?

He's not head coaching at Rice for one reason and one reason only-- he had no previous D1 coaching experience when we had the opening.

Don’t believe Cheito did either. Next excuse.
01-25-2023 12:34 PM
Advertisement

2018Owl Offline
Water Engineer

While I'd love to have an Owl in the Baseball HoF, you all are breezing over a nearly 20 bWAR gap between Rolen and Berkman, which is not insignificant at all. While Berkman was a somewhat better hitter than Rolen, Rolen was in an entirely different league defensively, as evidenced by Rolen having 8 Gold Gloves vs. Berkman's 0 (which is a BIG DEAL to HoF voters).

If you showed me 2 anonymous players with these guys' resumes, I would think the 70 bWAR player would likely be a lock for the HoF unless he was on steroids or cheated some other way, and that the 50 bWAR player would likely miss out unless there were some extenuating personal / injury circumstances.

I think Rolen pretty clearly belongs in the HoF (not saying anyone's disagreeing) but very surprised you all think there's that strong of an argument to be made for Berkman...
01-25-2023 04:03 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(01-25-2023 04:03 PM)2018Owl Wrote:  While I'd love to have an Owl in the Baseball HoF, you all are breezing over a nearly 20 bWAR gap between Rolen and Berkman, which is not insignificant at all. While Berkman was a somewhat better hitter than Rolen, Rolen was in an entirely different league defensively, as evidenced by Rolen having 8 Gold Gloves vs. Berkman's 0 (which is a BIG DEAL to HoF voters).

If you showed me 2 anonymous players with these guys' resumes, I would think the 70 bWAR player would likely be a lock for the HoF unless he was on steroids or cheated some other way, and that the 50 bWAR player would likely miss out unless there were some extenuating personal / injury circumstances.

I think Rolen pretty clearly belongs in the HoF (not saying anyone's disagreeing) but very surprised you all think there's that strong of an argument to be made for Berkman...

I'm disagreeing. Sure, Rolen deserves it over guys such as Tony Perez and Orlando Cepeda, but as someone who followed Rolen's entire career (being a Mets fan)-- and not simply looking a the analytical stats, I do not consider Rolen a HOFer; nor do I think he's a superior player than Lance. Lance was a MUCH better hitter; not simply slightly better. No comparison at the plate. Most of his bWAR is defense, and even there, he was no Ozzie Smith at SS or Keith Hernandez at 1B or even Brooks Robinson at 3B. He didn't revolutionize the 3B position defensively as those other 3 did.

Again, only once was he considered in the Top 10 in MVP voting, and only a couple more times in the Top 25. Conversely, Lance finished in the Top 10 in MVP voting 6 times (3 in the Top 3), and another 4 times in the Top 20.
01-25-2023 04:49 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
I agree with this tweet re. Keith Hernandez vs. Scott Rolen...

https://twitter.com/PolyesterUnis/status...6449017857

Quote:Vintage Jerseys & Hats
@PolyesterUnis
Scott Rolen was great. Keith Hernandez played the same # of seasons and had more BB's, hits, batting titles, Gold Gloves, MVP's and World Series. Plus, less K's and a better OPS+. Oh, and he was the greatest defensive player IN HISTORY at his position. Just sayin'
@baseballhall

...and another...

https://twitter.com/SammyD5674/status/16...7969760256

Quote:Sammy D
@SammyD5674
Scott Rolen gets into the Hall of Fame. A 280 hitter averaged 118 games a year. While Keith Hernandez a 2 time World Series winner, a National League MVP, an 11 time Gold Glover, 296 hitter and the greatest fielding first baseman of all time is not in. This is a travesty!
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2023 06:21 PM by waltgreenberg.)
01-25-2023 06:05 PM
Advertisement

Musicowl1965 Offline
2nd String

(01-25-2023 06:05 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  I agree with this tweet re. Keith Hernandez vs. Scott Rolen...

@PolyesterUnis
Scott Rolen was great. Keith Hernandez played the same # of seasons and had more BB's, hits, batting titles, Gold Gloves, MVP's and World Series. Plus, less K's and a better OPS+. Oh, and he was the greatest defensive player IN HISTORY at his position. Just sayin'
@baseballhall

...and another...

@SammyD5674
Scott Rolen gets into the Hall of Fame. A 280 hitter averaged 118 games a year. While Keith Hernandez a 2 time World Series winner, a National League MVP, an 11 time Gold Glover, 296 hitter and the greatest fielding first baseman of all time is not in. This is a travesty!

Keith was also a HECK of an actor as well! So he's got that going for him...After all he's "KEITH HERNANDEZ"!!!
01-26-2023 04:25 PM
wrysal Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
(01-26-2023 04:25 PM)Musicowl1965 Wrote:  
(01-25-2023 06:05 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  I agree with this tweet re. Keith Hernandez vs. Scott Rolen...

@PolyesterUnis
@baseballhall

...and another...

@SammyD5674

Keith was also a HECK of an actor as well! So he's got that going for him...After all he's "KEITH HERNANDEZ"!!!

Except he doesn't know the first thing about getting to first base.
01-26-2023 04:32 PM
Volente Beach Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-25-2023 04:03 PM)2018Owl Wrote:  While I'd love to have an Owl in the Baseball HoF, you all are breezing over a nearly 20 bWAR gap between Rolen and Berkman, which is not insignificant at all. While Berkman was a somewhat better hitter than Rolen, Rolen was in an entirely different league defensively, as evidenced by Rolen having 8 Gold Gloves vs. Berkman's 0 (which is a BIG DEAL to HoF voters).

Agreed. Defense is serially underrated by most baseball fans. Rolen excelled here and I give credit to the writers in this instance for valuing his defense appropriately.
01-27-2023 02:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.