Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2023 Softball
Bookmark and Share
MarginalDuke Online
1st String

I Root For: JMU
2023 Softball
I was going to post it in the old thread but figured we needed a 2023 thread.

We are less than a month away from Game #1 against Chatty at the CofC tournament on February 10th. Hopefully the Dukes turn the corner this year as we bring in some good recruits and transfers in addition to last season’s very young roster gaining experience.

My understanding is that in addition to the stadium expansion, the locker room also received a renovation, so hopefully a lot of new and positive energy for this year.

Preseason Top 25 according to D1Softball.com:
1. Oklahoma (unanimous, no surprises there)
9. Clemson (4th season as a program)
13. Virginia Tech (Big loss in ace pitcher Keely Rochard graduating, but sophomore Emma Lemley might not be much of a drop-off)
20. ULL (Play them at home for the weekend of Mar. 31st-Apr. 2nd)
22. Duke (Play @ Duke on Mar. 15th)

Full list: https://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/artic...ftball?amp
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2023 03:56 PM by MarginalDuke.)
01-18-2023 03:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: 2023 Softball
Quick questions:
how often do ya'll get home games vs ranked teams?
As im expecting Louisiana to be ranked when we visit at the end of march. Im guessing a conference home game vs ranked team is at least rare for yall right? im already looking forward to this series, Cajun fans will be keeping our eyes on yall and congrats on the stadium expansion.

whats the highest ranked team that has come played at your home field?
01-18-2023 03:47 PM
#YEEHAWDUKES Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
We hosted LSU in the super regionals in 2016. Looks like they were ranked 10th. Regular season pretty much never - all of our ranked games we’re at neutral sites or away. Maybe one of the good Hofstra teams was ranked at some point.
01-18-2023 03:53 PM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

(01-18-2023 03:53 PM)#YEEHAWDUKES Wrote:  We hosted LSU in the super regionals in 2016. Looks like they were ranked 10th. Regular season pretty much never - all of our ranked games we’re at neutral sites or away. Maybe one of the good Hofstra teams was ranked at some point.

thanks. Hopefully, you will have ranked teams coming every year at home for conference play. Louisiana, Texas St, USA, and Troy usually has at least 1 team ranked from that group, if not multiple teams. also, OCC teams will start coming to visit due to being in a stronger conference.

I remember that match up with the tiggers but didnt realize it was at home for yall. nice get. well to many more supers being hosted at your home field.04-cheers
01-18-2023 04:26 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

(01-18-2023 04:26 PM)balanced_view Wrote:  
(01-18-2023 03:53 PM)#YEEHAWDUKES Wrote:  We hosted LSU in the super regionals in 2016. Looks like they were ranked 10th. Regular season pretty much never - all of our ranked games we’re at neutral sites or away. Maybe one of the good Hofstra teams was ranked at some point.

thanks. Hopefully, you will have ranked teams coming every year at home for conference play. Louisiana, Texas St, USA, and Troy usually has at least 1 team ranked from that group, if not multiple teams. also, OCC teams will start coming to visit due to being in a stronger conference.

I remember that match up with the tiggers but didnt realize it was at home for yall. nice get. well to many more supers being hosted at your home field.04-cheers

I'm extremely excited about the massive improvement in our softball conference. Really looking forward to matchups with Louisiana especially, but all of those teams and hopefully overall positive impact on our recruiting, seeding, and OOC scheduling.

Now if we fire our baseball coach after this season and make a solid next hire there then you can practically copy and paste this for baseball as well lol
01-18-2023 04:51 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2023 04:51 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

I'm extremely excited about the massive improvement in our softball conference. Really looking forward to matchups with Louisiana especially, but all of those teams and hopefully overall positive impact on our recruiting, seeding, and OOC scheduling.

Now if we fire our baseball coach after this season and make a solid next hire there then you can practically copy and paste this for baseball as well lol

We have baseball?
01-18-2023 05:02 PM
Advertisement

Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

How long have you been following softball? Apparently not too closely, as you’d know hosting LSU wasn’t a “get” as much as it was a Super Regional determined via JMU being the higher ranked team. To date it’s been the only Super Regional hosted by JMU,

JMU has had other seasons where hosting a Super Regional should have been in play, but the P5s really control women’s sports, even more so than the men’s teams. Also, JMU’s softball stadium (which is very good) didn’t offer the requisite number of permanent seats for hosting Supers. JMU would bring in non-permanent bleachers to boost seating capacity, however, that has changed starting with this season. Permanent seating has now been doubled by the addition of upper-decks along both the first base and third base sides. Investing in Olympic sports can be an issue at most schools, but JMU’s run to the WCWS (which required JMU to play almost all its games on the road) has opened eyes and changed minds.

The following of JMU softball across our campus and in the community is very strong. Playing in the SBC should only help continue and hopefully boost that interest. Looking forward to the first SBC season!
01-19-2023 10:38 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2023 10:38 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

How long have you been following softball? Apparently not too closely, as you’d know hosting LSU wasn’t a “get” as much as it was a Super Regional determined via JMU being the higher ranked team. To date it’s been the only Super Regional hosted by JMU,

JMU has had other seasons where hosting a Super Regional should have been in play, but the P5s really control women’s sports, even more so than the men’s teams. Also, JMU’s softball stadium (which is very good) didn’t offer the requisite number of permanent seats for hosting Supers. JMU would bring in non-permanent bleachers to boost seating capacity, however, that has changed starting with this season. Permanent seating has now been doubled by the addition of upper-decks along both the first base and third base sides. Investing in Olympic sports can be an issue at most schools, but JMU’s run to the WCWS (which required JMU to play almost all its games on the road) has opened eyes and changed minds.

The following of JMU softball across our campus and in the community is very strong. Playing in the SBC should only help continue and hopefully boost that interest. Looking forward to the first SBC season!

Really...way to be a douche.

That is what the said if you actually bother to read the entire context below....he acknowledged it was in the super regionals and basically stated getting LSU at home for the supers was a good get.....geez.

I remember that match up with the tiggers but didnt realize it was at home for yall. nice get. well to many more supers being hosted at your home field.
01-19-2023 12:31 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-19-2023 12:31 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  

Really...way to be a douche.

That is what the said if you actually bother to read the entire context below....he acknowledged it was in the super regionals and basically stated getting LSU at home for the supers was a good get.....geez.

I remember that match up with the tiggers but didnt realize it was at home for yall. nice get. well to many more supers being hosted at your home field.

I love you too. 03-lmfao
01-19-2023 05:42 PM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

"Draw" is the more accurate term compared to "get". I just didnt put that much thought into it at the time of posting. thanks for the rest of your answer, your facility looks really nice.

So what are the home fans expectations for this season?
01-19-2023 05:45 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-19-2023 05:45 PM)balanced_view Wrote:  

"Draw" is the more accurate term compared to "get". I just didnt put that much thought into it at the time of posting. thanks for the rest of your answer, your facility looks really nice.

Unknown. Pitching is the big question mark.
01-19-2023 05:48 PM
Advertisement

JMad Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: James Madison University
[/quote]

I would expect they are pretty low after what happened last season. There may have been some pressure to perform like the 2021 team with no conference championship possibility.
To me, moving to the SBC was probably the best thing that could happen. The offense should be similar if not better than last season. The return of Shiflet and H. Hall is key. Looking for Henessey, Gleason and Butler to have their breakout season this year.
As far as pitching is concerned, at least there are more of them available this year. Humphries is a much better pitcher than what she showed last year. If she can't do it, then Kylah Berry will break some strikeout records. 40 wins isn't out of the realm of possibility.
01-23-2023 02:54 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
Crews made a lot of progress on the stadium last week. The seats, steps, and risers are installed. Visibly it's a big upgrade. No flaps though, just fencing 04-cheers
01-24-2023 09:30 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
(01-24-2023 09:30 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Crews made a lot of progress on the stadium last week. The seats, steps, and risers are installed. Visibly it's a big upgrade. No flaps though, just fencing 04-cheers

That's it. I'm boycotting softball. haha.
01-24-2023 09:42 AM
CarRamrod Offline
1st String

02-02-2023 02:56 PM
MarginalDuke Online
1st String

(02-02-2023 02:56 PM)CarRamrod Wrote:  

That looks about right, ULL is a Top 25 program and Texas State could be quite good this year. No shame in starting behind them but I hope we can finish ahead of them!

Hopefully a multi-bid year for the SBC as JMU strengthens the conference but make no mistake, Louisiana and Texas State currently carry the banner.

Tournament Placements of SBC (t-1)
2022: (1) ULL
2021: (4) ULL, USA, Troy TXST
2019: (1) ULL
2018: (2) ULL, TXST
2017: (2) ULL, TXST
2016: (2) ULL, TXST
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2023 03:22 PM by MarginalDuke.)
02-02-2023 03:21 PM
Advertisement

JMad03 Offline
Heisman

If we were in the CAA, we would have most likely been projected number 1.

Perhaps the projection will take some pressure off.
Really hoping they can exceed expectations.
02-02-2023 04:49 PM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

(02-02-2023 04:49 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  If we were in the CAA, we would have most likely been projected number 1.

Perhaps the projection will take some pressure off.
Really hoping they can exceed expectations.

It'll be a nice change to play in-conference games against nationally-known teams, so we have an opportunity to impress outside of the spring-break tournaments and NCAAs.
02-07-2023 02:34 PM
MarginalDuke Online
1st String

We are 60 hours away from first pitch against Chatty at 11AM on Friday in Charleston. Hoping we can walk out of the first tournament either 5-0 or 4-1.

There hasn’t been an official picture yet but here’s a look at the new expansion to the stadium. Happy to have the SBC on the backstop. Here’s to hopefully a successful first campaign in a great conference.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2023 08:31 PM by MarginalDuke.)
02-07-2023 08:29 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(02-07-2023 08:29 PM)MarginalDuke Wrote:  We are 60 hours away from first pitch against Chatty at 11AM on Friday in Charleston. Hoping we can walk out of the first tournament either 5-0 or 4-1.

There hasn’t been an official picture yet but here’s a look at the new expansion to the stadium. Happy to have the SBC on the backstop. Here’s to hopefully a successful first campaign in a great conference.

Looks really nice.

I'm really looking forward to watching JMU softball again!
02-08-2023 08:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.