Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: JMU alumni teacher shot by 6 year old.
Bookmark and Share
Xeonon Away
1st String

I Root For: jmu
Absolutely mind boggling this is even possible. Prayers out to her family.

https://www.wtkr.com/news/richneck-elem-...ld-student
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2023 08:54 PM by Xeonon.)
01-07-2023 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/c...41ccd68bb7

Now in stable condition.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
01-07-2023 10:14 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: OT: JMU alumni teacher shot by 6 year old.
Absolutely horrible.

While we don't have a lot of details, this feels like a major failure of the parent/guardian involved, and perhaps criminal liability depending on how the child obtained the gun.
01-07-2023 11:15 PM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

How in the hell...
01-08-2023 12:45 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(01-07-2023 11:15 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  Absolutely horrible.

While we don't have a lot of details, this feels like a major failure of the parent/guardian involved, and perhaps criminal liability depending on how the child obtained the gun.

You can be sure that the parents/guardians of the child will be held liable, if not under a criminal statute, then under a civil action. Both would be appropriate IMO.

Thank goodness no other children in his classroom or people in his school were shot.

As I understand from what limited information has been released the shooting occurred around 2pm, which means the 6 year old boy had the gun with him when he came to school that morning, and had access to it all day. These facts make the shooting appear to be deliberate.

News reports are the 30 something old teacher reports to be stable after surgery for a gunshot would to her left shoulder area.
01-08-2023 05:35 AM
jmutley83 Offline
Water Engineer

(01-08-2023 05:35 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

You can be sure that the parents/guardians of the child will be held liable, if not under a criminal statute, then under a civil action. Both would be appropriate IMO.

Thank goodness no other children in his classroom or people in his school were shot.

As I understand from what limited information has been released the shooting occurred around 2pm, which means the 6 year old boy had the gun with him when he came to school that morning, and had access to it all day. These facts make the shooting appear to be deliberate.

News reports are the 30 something old teacher reports to be stable after surgery for a gunshot would to her left shoulder area.
01-08-2023 08:31 AM
Advertisement

jmutley83 Offline
Water Engineer

Abby was one of my daughters roommates for three years. She is 25 and a 2019 graduate (‘20M). She had a successful surgery yesterday and is now in stable condition.
01-08-2023 08:35 AM
Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

(01-08-2023 08:35 AM)jmutley83 Wrote:  Abby was one of my daughters roommates for three years. She is 25 and a 2019 graduate (‘20M). She had a successful surgery yesterday and is now in stable condition.

Wonderful News! Thank you for the update. May Abby make a full recovery and brighten the lights once again.
01-08-2023 09:26 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2023 05:35 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  As I understand from what limited information has been released the shooting occurred around 2pm, which means the 6 year old boy had the gun with him when he came to school that morning, and had access to it all day. These facts make the shooting appear to be deliberate.

I also read that the boy supposedly brought bullets to school about a week prior and had told others he would bring the gun. The police are reporting the shooting was deliberate and related to some type of argument, I assume either with the teacher or another student.

Multiple adult failures at multiple levels to prevent it if all this is true.
01-08-2023 09:36 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2023 08:35 AM)jmutley83 Wrote:  Abby was one of my daughters roommates for three years. She is 25 and a 2019 graduate (‘20M). She had a successful surgery yesterday and is now in stable condition.

Hope she recovers quickly and fully. By some accounts this teacher is a hero and prevented other students from being harmed.
01-08-2023 09:38 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

This one hits way too close to home in Bad News, VA as it impacted my wife who works NNPS. There are many more details that will come out that will make you gasp in disbelief on how the shooting occurred.

While it is impossible for anyone to make sense of this, none of us should be surprised as the youth simply follow the examples that are provided to them. I believe most people are good, but I also believe a few people are not good and they make it really bad for the rest of us. The pure evil is passed down from generation to generation.

I feel bad for the kid who has an undeveloped mind and undeveloped spirit yet was groomed to do what he did by adults who should know better.
You can’t put a 6 year old in jail and you can’t put him back in school.

Thankfully, it appears the teacher did not suffer a fatal wound but that doesn’t make the event any less tragic or disturbing. Prayers for her quick and complete recovery.
There has already been an exodus of teachers leaving the profession and school systems are struggling to staff classrooms. This will only add to the exodus.
01-08-2023 11:32 AM
Advertisement

Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
Can a 6 year old even rack a gun?? I guess it could be a revolver or it was stored with one in the chamber with a 6 year old able to access it. So absolutely insane and likely demonstrates criminal negligence
01-08-2023 01:03 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2023 01:03 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Can a 6 year old even rack a gun?? I guess it could be a revolver or it was stored with one in the chamber with a 6 year old able to access it. So absolutely insane and likely demonstrates criminal negligence

In Virginia this is a crime. Firearms are required to be secured from access by children. Could see additional charges depending on circumstances, child endangerment, negligence, maybe even accessory to attempted murder.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2023 01:52 PM by JMURocks.)
01-08-2023 01:52 PM
orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee, JMU,
Parent(s) should be sued into the next century. The kid doesn't need a criminal record, he needs therapy and lots of it. His mind is still undeveloped and he is at a stage where, although he may know right from wrong, he still can't grasp the consequences of his actions.
01-08-2023 03:28 PM
PurpleSoloCup84 Offline
Special Teams

‘She is a hero’: Newport News Police give update on teacher shot by 6-year-old, latest on investigation

“I believe Mrs. Zwarner, Abigale, she saved lives on Friday." - Newport News Chief of Police Steve Drew

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/2023/...stigation/
01-09-2023 09:49 PM
Madison 91 Forever Offline
1st String

Thank God she's recovering from the shooting. What a terrible incident. Law enforcement needs to be looking closely at that child's parent to determine how the child gained access to the weapon.
01-10-2023 07:53 AM
Advertisement

JMad03 Offline
Heisman

The only news I have heard so far is that the firearm was owned by the child's mother.
01-10-2023 08:00 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-10-2023 08:00 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  The only news I have heard so far is that the firearm was owned by the child's mother.

Yes, I heard that report too, and the firearm was purchased legally.

I also heard the wound was to her hand and abdomen, not to her shoulder as reported earlier. Speculation is that she was reaching for the gun to disarm the boy, and then he fired the weapon, with the bullet passing through her hand first.

It’s also been reported that Virginia law does not allow trying 6 year old children as adults, nor can they be committed to a juvenile facility. The only option reported is that the child may be taken from the parent(s) and placed under the control of social services, whatever that means.
01-10-2023 08:15 AM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

(01-08-2023 03:28 PM)orange-to-purple Wrote:  Parent(s) should be sued and jailed into the next century. The kid doesn't need a criminal record, he needs therapy and lots of it, as well as the other kids. His mind is still undeveloped and he is at a stage where, although he may know right from wrong, he still can't grasp the consequences of his actions.

Agreed and added some more.

I grew up in a house with 20+ guns and I don't think I knew the code to the safe until I was ~20. Now with a 5 year old, its unfathomable to me how someone could be so careless to allow a kid access to a handgun and rounds.
01-10-2023 08:44 AM
Bawlmer Duke Offline
1st String

(01-08-2023 11:32 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  

I feel bad for the kid who has an undeveloped mind and undeveloped spirit yet was groomed to do what he did by adults who should know better.
You can’t put a 6 year old in jail and you can’t put him back in school.

Interesting point. Product of his environment and upbringing.

Example: One of my sons is 7. He certainly does not possess the wherewithal to sneak a gun to school, keep it hidden all day, not tell anyone else in the class, AND THEN pull the trigger at the right opportunity.

Insane.

* I do not know all the facts, nor have I read everything about this event.
01-10-2023 09:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.