Surprised it wasn't Diehl ...
01-05-2023 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Crazier Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
RE: New OL Coach
Maybe a sneaky good hire. Was the offensive line coach at Tennessee, Auburn, and Georgia. Also an offensive coordinator. Maybe he can draw up better running schemes if allowed.
01-05-2023 06:44 PM
tpaw09 Offline
1st String

Sounds like a good hire
01-05-2023 07:03 PM
tcountytigerfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
An excellent hire imo
01-05-2023 07:44 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

I like the hire
01-05-2023 08:11 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

Looks like a solid hire.

https://auburntigers.com/sports/football...riend/3447

(01-05-2023 06:44 PM)Crazier Wrote:  Maybe a sneaky good hire. Was the offensive line coach at Tennessee, Auburn, and Georgia. Also an offensive coordinator. Maybe he can draw up better running schemes if allowed.

Those last two words will be the key. Friend at least has the background for it. We'll see how flexible RS will be.
01-05-2023 08:35 PM
Advertisement

msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

I Root For: Truffles
(01-05-2023 08:35 PM)Alanda Wrote:  Looks like a solid hire.

(01-05-2023 06:44 PM)Crazier Wrote:  Maybe a sneaky good hire. Was the offensive line coach at Tennessee, Auburn, and Georgia. Also an offensive coordinator. Maybe he can draw up better running schemes if allowed.

Those last two words will be the key. Friend at least has the background for it. We'll see how flexible RS will be.

My gut tells me he will be all ears for suggestions this iteration.
01-05-2023 08:39 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

(01-05-2023 08:39 PM)msu35 Wrote:  

I hope so. Both he and Penny are learning on the job. Penny finished 5th in conference his first two years and 3rd in his last two. He won the NIT in his third year and made the NCAA tourney in his fourth so we are seeing improvement on the basketball side. RS' situation is weird. He's winning bowl games, but his conference performance is going the wrong way. From 3rd to 7th to 8th. I can't help but laugh and SMH at Navy going 4-8 and finishing higher in conference than Memphis.
01-05-2023 09:04 PM
MSU64 Offline
Water Engineer

(01-05-2023 07:44 PM)tcountytigerfan Wrote:  An excellent hire imo

I hope WF is an excellent hire, time will tell. Below are comments made by UGA fans , hopefully, they are wrong.

Hire away, but he was awful at UGA, left with BoBo to Colorado St. to avoid being fired, was fired at Colorado St. Pruitt was his best man, ended being fired at UT or got out and left Pruitt holding the bag, left South Carolina without ever coaching a game and is about to be fired from AU. He was an awful recruiter, signed multiple 260-70 lb guys for OL.when Kirby took over we had zero OT on the roster.
01-05-2023 09:44 PM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
(01-05-2023 09:04 PM)Alanda Wrote:  
(01-05-2023 08:39 PM)msu35 Wrote:  

I hope so. Both he and Penny are learning on the job. Penny finished 5th in conference his first two years and 3rd in his last two. He won the NIT in his third year and made the NCAA tourney in his fourth so we are seeing improvement on the basketball side. RS' situation is weird. He's winning bowl games, but his conference performance is going the wrong way. From 3rd to 7th to 8th. I can't help but laugh and SMH at Navy going 4-8 and finishing higher in conference than Memphis.

The 2 bowl teams he’s beaten have not been as good as the conference teams that beat him.
01-06-2023 08:36 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-05-2023 09:44 PM)MSU64 Wrote:  

I hope WF is an excellent hire, time will tell. Below are comments made by UGA fans , hopefully, they are wrong.

Hire away, but he was awful at UGA, left with BoBo to Colorado St. to avoid being fired, was fired at Colorado St. Pruitt was his best man, ended being fired at UT or got out and left Pruitt holding the bag, left South Carolina without ever coaching a game and is about to be fired from AU. He was an awful recruiter, signed multiple 260-70 lb guys for OL.when Kirby took over we had zero OT on the roster.

You can always find this type of posts on anyone.
But the overall reputation of Friend is that he is a VERY good recruiter.
I actually think (no info, just a hunch) there are more changes coming on offense and that Friend will get a "bigger" title than OL Coach.
01-06-2023 09:10 AM
Advertisement

tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-06-2023 09:10 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

I actually think (no info, just a hunch) there are more changes coming on offense and that Friend will get a "bigger" title than OL Coach.

The guy has been around though. Not sure if that is a good thing or a sign of something else. Or is just the coaching profession? His stops have not been at winning programs. But the Tigers needed a change at OL so hopefully he works out well.
01-06-2023 10:07 AM
MSU64 Offline
Water Engineer

When WF was at Colorado State his salary was 500K and 700K at Auburn. Does anyone know how much his salary be at Memphis?
01-06-2023 10:33 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-06-2023 10:07 AM)tigerlands Wrote:  

The guy has been around though. Not sure if that is a good thing or a sign of something else. Or is just the coaching profession? His stops have not been at winning programs. But the Tigers needed a change at OL so hopefully he works out well.

Averaging about 3 years a stop - such is the life of a coach. Looking at his resume, he had a good run with Richt at UGA and with Bobo at Colorado State (as offensive coordinator). His last 2 stops have not gone well with Pruitt at UTK and with Harsin at Auburn. Of course, those were 2 bad HC hires, and were never going to succeed. But to get the jobs he's had, speaks pretty highly - UAB, UGA, Col St, UTK, Auburn.

Still haven't heard the university or Friend confirm this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's the hire. John Martin broke the story and the CA & DM ran with it. We know they are never wrong, lol. Just weird that the university hasn't released it. The university released the Larry Smith hiring almost as quickly as the media reported it.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2023 10:58 AM by Tiger87.)
01-06-2023 10:57 AM
ballhog Offline
All American

(01-06-2023 10:57 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(01-06-2023 10:07 AM)tigerlands Wrote:  

Averaging about 3 years a stop - such is the life of a coach. Looking at his resume, he had a good run with Richt at UGA and with Bobo at Colorado State (as offensive coordinator). His last 2 stops have not gone well with Pruitt at UTK and with Harsin at Auburn. Of course, those were 2 bad HC hires, and were never going to succeed. But to get the jobs he's had, speaks pretty highly - UAB, UGA, Col St, UTK, Auburn.

Still haven't heard the university or Friend confirm this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's the hire. John Martin broke the story and the CA & DM ran with it. We know they are never wrong, lol. Just weird that the university hasn't released it. The university released the Larry Smith hiring almost as quickly as the media reported it.

Does he have more freedom to do certain things like recruiting if he isn't officially tied to a school?
I know that used to be a thing, but I'm not really sure if it still is now.
01-06-2023 11:28 AM
griffin Offline
All American

He could be going to Miss State now
01-06-2023 04:19 PM
Advertisement

k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Friend now going to Miss St according to FootballScoop.

WTH???
01-06-2023 04:26 PM
griffin Offline
All American

(01-06-2023 04:26 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  Friend now going to Miss St according to FootballScoop.

WTH???

Mike Bobo OC - huge pay gap between Memphis and SEC coaches pay
01-06-2023 04:30 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Knew something was off on this. Glad we didn't hire Bobo, anyway. Good luck Miss Stake.
01-06-2023 04:32 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Another item for the John Martin bio...Right there with the "0%" comment on Austin Nichols.
01-06-2023 04:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.