Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

New Receivers Coach Named
Bookmark and Share
danny1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
New Receivers Coach Named
Larry Smith has been named the new receivers coach per The Daily Memphian. He comes to Memphis from UAB where he held the same position. He is a former starting quarterback at Vanderbilt from Prattville, AL.

Article also confirmed that the OL and special teams coaches were being replaced too.

Looks like a solid hire to me. I admit I am no authority in this area and will yield to those who have some knowledge - lol! What do y’all think? Bert?
12-30-2022 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

danny1 Offline
All American

RE: New Receivers Coach Named
I just saw that this was already reported on another thread. My bad.
12-30-2022 07:00 PM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Hopefully the Dude has some excellent recruits he can stripe up

GTG
12-30-2022 09:39 PM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
UAB named Trent Dilfer, a former Pro Bowler and Super Bowl winning quarterback as their new head coach. I guess Smith was available due to that coaching change.
12-30-2022 10:00 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-30-2022 10:00 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  UAB named Trent Dilfer, a former Pro Bowler and Super Bowl winning quarterback as their new head coach. I guess Smith was available due to that coaching change.

Or he saw Memphisas a better job
12-30-2022 11:24 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

(12-30-2022 10:00 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  UAB named Trent Dilfer, a former Pro Bowler and Super Bowl winning quarterback as their new head coach. I guess Smith was available due to that coaching change.

Interesting hire by UAB. Dilfer has only coached at the high school level in Tennessee. Kind of like another coach we know. Will he get the time to learn what he needs to know to be successful on the college level?
12-30-2022 11:24 PM
Advertisement

Keeper Offline
All American

(12-30-2022 11:24 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

He had been at UAB for several years. His old high school coach (6A state champion he played qb as he did for 4 seasons as starter at Vanderbilt) Bill Clark was Head Coach at UAB. When Bill Clark retired for health reasons last summer the admistration chose a different coach to step in as interim coach. That didn't work out. So lets hope he considers Memphis a better job, and let's be grateful he was available and accepted the position here. He is definitely an upgrade at the position.
I expect the receiving corps to be much improved next season. I am surprised that CRS let 3 coaches go. I didn't think he had it in him. It is a very difficult thing to fire one of your coaches. Not something most HCs enjoy. It is a step in his progression as Head Coach. I have decided to be at the opening home game next year after all.
I believe Larry Smith will be an Offensive coordinator sooner than later, possible here at Memphis if Cramsey is successful and moves on.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2022 12:18 AM by Keeper.)
12-31-2022 12:14 AM
jsw3ent Online
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(12-31-2022 12:14 AM)Keeper Wrote:  

He had been at UAB for several years. His old high school coach (6A state champion he played qb as he did for 4 seasons as starter at Vanderbilt). When Bill Clark retired for health reasons last summer the admistration chose a different coach to step in as interim coach. That didn't work out. So lets hope he considers Memphis a better job, and let's be grateful he was available and accepted the position here. He is definitely an upgrade at the position.
I expect the receiving corps to be much improved next season. I am surprised that CRS let 3 coaches go. I didn't think he had it in him. It is a very difficult thing to fire one of your coaches. Not something most HCs enjoy. It is a step in his progression as Head Coach. I have decided to be at the opening home game next year after all.

RS did it to try to take the heat off of himself -------and we all knew you would crawfish and be there LOL----a persons word means little nowadays . I bet your new years resolutions last about as long as your vow to not attend another game until RS is gone---but hey I am glad you will be there---------with the cupcake schedule--we will need all the fans we can get
12-31-2022 12:27 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-31-2022 12:27 AM)jsw3ent Wrote:  

He had been at UAB for several years. His old high school coach (6A state champion he played qb as he did for 4 seasons as starter at Vanderbilt). When Bill Clark retired for health reasons last summer the admistration chose a different coach to step in as interim coach. That didn't work out. So lets hope he considers Memphis a better job, and let's be grateful he was available and accepted the position here. He is definitely an upgrade at the position.

RS did it to try to take the heat off of himself -------and we all knew you would crawfish and be there LOL----a persons word means little nowadays . I bet your new years resolutions last about as long as your vow to not attend another game until RS is gone---but hey I am glad you will be there---------with the cupcake schedule--we will need all the fans we can get

You posted 40 times during a game you claimed you were at in person, even though you for sure type with one finger, and takes you at least 5 minutes to type a single sentence. You claimed even though you can't shut up about anything 04-drinky 03-lmfao01-wingedeagle that you talked to Hardgrave in May, who told you 04-drinky 03-lmfao01-wingedeagle that an OCS would have been at least 50,000 seats.

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell, that either of these things, and most things you post are anywhere close to being truthful. You are calling someone out about their word? Irony at its finest.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2022 03:18 AM by Stammers.)
12-31-2022 02:45 AM
danny1 Offline
All American

MyBB RE: New Receivers Coach Named

You are such a negative little troll with the same drivel post after post. I’m sure it made you sick at your stomach to see us win on Tuesday - if you even watched. Do you have anything new or original to post?
12-31-2022 02:59 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-31-2022 02:59 AM)danny1 Wrote:  

You are such a negative little troll with the same drivel post after post. I’m sure it made you sick at your stomach to see us win on Tuesday - if you even watched. Do you have anything new or original to post?

He isn't a troll. A troll does it on purpose. That is his actual brain.
12-31-2022 03:17 AM
Advertisement

danny1 Offline
All American

(12-31-2022 03:17 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(12-30-2022 11:24 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  Or he saw Memphisas a better job

He isn't a troll. A troll does it on purpose. That is his actual brain.

LOL! You are probably right.
12-31-2022 03:35 AM
jsw3ent Online
Heisman

Some can attack--some can defend--some can do both--some can do neither
12-31-2022 09:38 AM
jsw3ent Online
Heisman

I have been a TIGER fan probably 30 years before you were even sucking on swiebacks -----I havent missed but a handful of TIGER games since the early 70'---don't question my fandom

As for original/drivel posts----------- stalk and berate others is your M.O.--same ole same ole
12-31-2022 09:48 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators

Same league now and historically UAB has a winning record against the Tigers don't they?

Memphis may or may not be a better job any longer.... It is certainly not clear cut.
12-31-2022 10:18 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I mean, when a new HC comes in, there is usually a lot of staff turnover. Doesn't take any shine off the potential of Smith. I welcome him.
12-31-2022 10:55 AM
Advertisement

Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2022 12:14 AM)Keeper Wrote:  I am surprised that CRS let 3 coaches go. I didn't think he had it in him. It is a very difficult thing to fire one of your coaches. Not something most HCs enjoy. It is a step in his progression as Head Coach.

I don't think CRS was given a choice. Either make staff changes or hit the road.
12-31-2022 10:56 AM
DallasTiger Online
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2022 10:18 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  

Same league now and historically UAB has a winning record against the Tigers don't they?

Memphis may or may not be a better job any longer.... It is certainly not clear cut.
Apparently Smith thinks it's a better job but.....what does he know?
12-31-2022 12:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(12-31-2022 10:56 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(12-31-2022 12:14 AM)Keeper Wrote:  I am surprised that CRS let 3 coaches go. I didn't think he had it in him. It is a very difficult thing to fire one of your coaches. Not something most HCs enjoy. It is a step in his progression as Head Coach.

I don't think CRS was given a choice. Either make staff changes or hit the road.

You might be right, maybe he was told he needs to make changes. It seems to me the best path to take. I think it is a positive move for the program.
12-31-2022 12:59 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

I Root For: Truffles
(12-31-2022 12:59 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  
(12-31-2022 10:56 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

You might be right, maybe he was told he needs to make changes. It seems to me the best path to take. I think it is a positive move for the program.

With this last season and the performance demonstrated, staffing changes are both welcome and necessary.
12-31-2022 01:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.