Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Quietly, a decade in The American
Bookmark and Share
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
Quietly, a decade in The American
We spent 15 years in the Metro and 17 CUSA. Now 10 in the American. I know it sucks being left behind while we watch conference mates move on again. But there’s also something to be said for consistency and getting better where you are. I think there’s a huge opportunity for Memphis to be the Kings of the American in football and basketball. When the 12 team playoffs get started we’ll have a direct route for inclusion if we can be set up to dominate the American.

Many of our ex conference mates will find it harder and harder to compete or have a shot at winning their leagues in football and basketball. We will have a shot at winning our league year in and year out.

Moving up isn’t always the same as becoming better. I started a discussion (Link) on this on the conference realignment board. Keep your chin up Tiger fans. The best is yet to come.
12-27-2022 10:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Quietly, a decade in The American
(12-27-2022 10:45 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  We spent 15 years in the Metro and 17 CUSA. Now 10 in the American. I know it sucks being left behind while we watch conference mates move on again. But there’s also something to be said for consistency and getting better where you are. I think there’s a huge opportunity for Memphis to be the Kings of the American in football and basketball. When the 12 team playoffs get started we’ll have a direct route for inclusion if we can be set up to dominate the American.

Many of our ex conference mates will find it harder and harder to compete or have a shot at winning their leagues in football and basketball. We will have a shot at winning our league year in and year out.

Moving up isn’t always the same as becoming better. I started a discussion (Link) on this on the conference realignment board. Keep your chin up Tiger fans. The best is yet to come.

I sort of agree. It should never be our goal to be the big fish in a smaller pond but you do need to strive for excellence no matter the playground.
12-27-2022 11:32 PM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
(12-27-2022 11:32 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  
(12-27-2022 10:45 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  We spent 15 years in the Metro and 17 CUSA. Now 10 in the American. I know it sucks being left behind while we watch conference mates move on again. But there’s also something to be said for consistency and getting better where you are. I think there’s a huge opportunity for Memphis to be the Kings of the American in football and basketball. When the 12 team playoffs get started we’ll have a direct route for inclusion if we can be set up to dominate the American.

I sort of agree. It should never be our goal to be the big fish in a smaller pond but you do need to strive for excellence no matter the playground.

100%
12-27-2022 11:39 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

I Root For: Truffles

I appreciate this take and have to agree. Nothing but upside to dominating the conference in both football and basketball. If we consistently reflect excellence, that's all that matters.
12-27-2022 11:39 PM
ImaTiger Offline
We fight like Tigers!

I Root For: I am a 901Tiger
+3
12-27-2022 11:48 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

I agree. Being left out of the Big 12 expansion may end up being a blessing in disguise. Certainly will be in a better position to make the playoffs.
12-28-2022 12:32 AM
Advertisement

Slacks Offline
Banned

I Root For: all of us
Don’t condescend me man…
12-28-2022 12:37 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
The tigers will never win a NC in football, but as long as we are on the map as a solid FB school that is what matters most.

Its best for the university, the city and the BB program.
12-28-2022 01:20 AM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-27-2022 10:45 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  We spent 15 years in the Metro and 17 CUSA. Now 10 in the American.

I just realized your numbers represent the 42 years I’ve held season tickets. I’ve never thought of it in terms of time spent in the 3 leagues.
12-28-2022 06:04 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM

What if we don’t have a choice ? It’s 2AM and all the good looking ones have left
12-28-2022 08:52 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
There is zero excuse for Memphis not to dominate this conference instead of letting other schools pass us by - again.

I"'ll believe it 10 years from now when I've seen it.
12-28-2022 09:05 AM
Advertisement

TIGERBUDDY Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
(12-28-2022 08:52 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

What if we don’t have a choice ? It’s 2AM and all the good looking ones have left
04-cheers Depends on how much you have already drank.
12-28-2022 09:13 AM
dcg141 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leaving the AAC
BB yes but I'm not sure we are head and shoulders ahead of SMU, Tulane and ECU in football. Also UTSA is not even worried about BB. They are all in on FB and they will be a player in the new AAC. My worries are about money and the growing divide with the P5. Not sure what it all means for the G5 in the future. I would love the chance to have the money and the crowds that come with playing schools that bring fans and that our casual fans want to see. I just believe both programs would thrive in the P5. I think our recruiting would go thru the roof. I still can't get beyond that we will be in the same conference as UNCC.
12-28-2022 10:02 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-28-2022 10:02 AM)dcg141 Wrote:  I would love the chance to have the money and the crowds that come with playing schools that bring fans and that our casual fans want to see. I just believe both programs would thrive in the P5. I think our recruiting would go thru the roof.

I believe this to be true as well. Memphis, with the right coach (not RS) would compete in the B12 given a couple of years. Basketball with Penny’s program in the b12 would be incredible. Sadly, the school never showed the commitment to football until it was too late. If anything ever even happens to upgrade LBMS, it won’t matter much. Maybe have some good crowds the 1st few years with people coming to check out the stadium, but once that new wears off, gonna be blah playing against CHarlotte and Temple. We’re stuck in CUSAAC.
12-28-2022 10:12 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

The American is the best all-sports conference we've had. It was good for us, and is truly the next best thing outside the P5 - not even close. This will be a new chapter with our rivals leaving. I think fb will be okay - UTSA, UAB, UNT, and maybe FAU are showing promise. BB is going to take another hit. But one of our best bb eras was in the comparable CUSA, so there's that.
12-28-2022 10:31 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-28-2022 12:37 AM)Slacks Wrote:  Don’t condescend me man…

12-28-2022 10:48 AM
Advertisement

blue68 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Titans
The 12 teams playoffs were built for the P5 conferences. P5 conferences will now have two maybe three teams per conference. An American team has to be undefeated to even sniff the playoffs. 11-1 won’t make the cut.
12-28-2022 10:54 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(12-28-2022 09:13 AM)TIGERBUDDY Wrote:  
(12-28-2022 08:52 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

04-cheers Depends on how much you have already drank.

Wasted
12-28-2022 10:54 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-28-2022 10:54 AM)blue68 Wrote:  The 12 teams playoffs were built for the P5 conferences. P5 conferences will now have two maybe three teams per conference. An American team has to be undefeated to even sniff the playoffs. 11-1 won’t make the cut.

There is 1 access slot provided for the G5. The American will have the advantage on that slot every year - undefeated or not. If all five of the G5 champs have at least 1 loss, then the American would make the cut most years (unless the other team is Boise - then it will be a nail-biter).
12-28-2022 11:01 AM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

(12-28-2022 11:01 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(12-28-2022 10:54 AM)blue68 Wrote:  The 12 teams playoffs were built for the P5 conferences. P5 conferences will now have two maybe three teams per conference. An American team has to be undefeated to even sniff the playoffs. 11-1 won’t make the cut.

There is 1 access slot provided for the G5. The American will have the advantage on that slot every year - undefeated or not. If all five of the G5 champs have at least 1 loss, then the American would make the cut most years (unless the other team is Boise - then it will be a nail-biter).

The bar will be as high as possible. The seeding will virtually guarantee a first round loss.
12-28-2022 11:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.