Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Division I
Bookmark and Share
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Division I
I really think that NCAA Division I in basketball is too big. I have no problem with having Davids who occasionally will kill Goliath, but we are to the point that David is three feet tall and Goliath is 20 feet tall. Right now Sagarin says that UConn would beat IUPUI by 40 points every time they play (which basically means that they can beat them by however much they desire).

The problem is that so many of the bottom third of Division I finance much of their entire athletic programs by being beaten up by the Goliaths, and changing the model would cause a substantial financial adjustment to have to be made.

In the last few years I have watched a good bit of NAIA, Division 3 and Division 2 basketball, and it is just as entertaining as Division 1. The main noticeable difference is the absence of talented bigs - that and the fact that the kids are playing for the love of the game, or for an education, and not for the money. (Isn't that a unique concept!)
12-21-2022 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Division I
(12-21-2022 09:20 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  I really think that NCAA Division I in basketball is too big. I have no problem with having Davids who occasionally will kill Goliath, but we are to the point that David is three feet tall and Goliath is 20 feet tall. Right now Sagarin says that UConn would beat IUPUI by 40 points every time they play (which basically means that they can beat them by however much they desire).

The problem is that so many of the bottom third of Division I finance much of their entire athletic programs by being beaten up by the Goliaths, and changing the model would cause a substantial financial adjustment to have to be made.

In the last few years I have watched a good bit of NAIA, Division 3 and Division 2 basketball, and it is just as entertaining as Division 1. The main noticeable difference is the absence of talented bigs - that and the fact that the kids are playing for the love of the game, or for an education, and not for the money. (Isn't that a unique concept!)

No doubt low majors, like us, have little in common with the UK's, KU's, and UNC's of this world. We go to these places to be "beaten up" and get our paycheck. Still schools like us occasionally beat the "big boys" in the NCAA tournament which is what makes it so fun for folks like you and me. If the little guy, is eliminated from the NCAA tournament I would have little or no interest in it. I always enjoy the first round, or two, much more than the later rounds. Seems like the powers that be are smart enough to know this, about the tournament, but they will do whatever they think will bring in the most money.
12-21-2022 10:09 AM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
RE: Division I
(12-21-2022 10:09 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-21-2022 09:20 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  I really think that NCAA Division I in basketball is too big. I have no problem with having Davids who occasionally will kill Goliath, but we are to the point that David is three feet tall and Goliath is 20 feet tall. Right now Sagarin says that UConn would beat IUPUI by 40 points every time they play (which basically means that they can beat them by however much they desire).

No doubt low majors, like us, have little in common with the UK's, KU's, and UNC's of this world. We go to these places to be "beaten up" and get our paycheck. Still schools like us occasionally beat the "big boys" in the NCAA tournament which is what makes it so fun for folks like you and me. If the little guy, is eliminated from the NCAA tournament I would have little or no interest in it. I always enjoy the first round, or two, much more than the later rounds. Seems like the powers that be are smart enough to know this, about the tournament, but they will do whatever they think will bring in the most money.

I agree with you that what makes the NCAA Tournament the greatest yearly sporting event is the David vs. Goliath Cinderella stories that happen every year. I don’t think even the NCAA is dumb enough to monkey with that Golden Goose. But, I do believe there will be some things coming down the pike in the next few years that will weed out the weakest financial programs in Division I by upping the ante on what it takes to become, OR REMAIN, a Division I program.
12-21-2022 11:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.