Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mike Leach wanted a 64 team playoff and other nuggets
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
Mike Leach wanted a 64 team playoff and other nuggets
https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ng-typical

I don't know what his detailed analysis looked like, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't agree with it at all, but I bet it was really interesting.

Also, in case you needed more info on Bigfoot and aliens:

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/20599559
12-21-2022 12:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: Mike Leach wanted a 64 team playoff and other nuggets
(12-21-2022 12:32 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ng-typical

I don't know what his detailed analysis looked like, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't agree with it at all, but I bet it was really interesting.

From that video clip I doubt many scientists would disagree with him. Whether a majority of average citizens would or not I can't say. Personally, I think the odds that this planet is alone in the universe when it comes to harboring life are pretty small.
12-21-2022 08:41 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Leach’s 64 team playoff would require dropping the regular season back to 10 games over 11 weeks.

The CCGs would occur the Saturday before Thanksgiving.
The Round of 64 would be Thanksgiving weekend.
Play the quarterfinals on New Years at bowl sites
Semis and Title get hosted in the same city (CFP Final 4)

I suppose you have to give auto berths to all 10 conference champs but I’d be curious how many at larges the G5 would land.

I’d also be curious as to who could afford to stay FBS considering:
Shorter regular season means fewer rent-a-victim opportunities
Many G5s would be splitting the revenue for 1 credit among 10-14 schools
12-21-2022 11:05 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(12-21-2022 11:05 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Leach’s 64 team playoff would require dropping the regular season back to 10 games over 11 weeks.

I suppose you have to give auto berths to all 10 conference champs but I’d be curious how many at larges the G5 would land.

I bet there will be enough interest in this that, if he actually wrote it all down, his family at some point just publishes the whole thing.

Leach was so off the wall. He's probably my most-hated rival on the field, but man that dude was interesting.
12-21-2022 01:17 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(12-21-2022 11:05 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’d also be curious as to who could afford to stay FBS considering:
Considering we only have around 82-84 bowl eligible teams in a given year now, a 64-team playoff would pretty much have most 6+ win teams in the playoffs. It would take a bad set of circumstances for a conference to have only one team in the field.

The lack of buy game opportunities would certainly be problematic, but it is possible power conferences adjust by beating up less on each other. Schools used to playing 7 or even 8 true home games likely would be limited to 6, maybe 7 depending on their conference schedule.

The bigger challenge would be television, as the first round could potentially require five or six tv partners; it's one thing to have Kentucky play UTSA in basketball on a neutral court in San Jose at 10:00 PM Eastern, but Kentucky can't host a football game that kicks off that late.

There's also the possibility a handful of minor bowls for teams who didn't make the playoffs.
12-24-2022 06:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
Sadly, I’d hardly rule out the possibility of a 64 team playoff.

I’m pretty much expecting a 24 team playoff after the recently signed playoff contract ends. Maybe they’ll go to 48 teams in the next playoff contract, and then 64 teams after that.

Maybe they’ll even go to 128 teams in the contract after that, and then to 256 teams in the contract after that. (Since FBS will probably be at 300 teams by that time.)
12-24-2022 07:14 PM
Poster Offline
All American

(12-21-2022 11:05 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Leach’s 64 team playoff would require dropping the regular season back to 10 games over 11 weeks.

If they go to 64 playoff teams, they in all likelihood will still keep alive 12 regular season games and conference title games. Maybe there’s a slim chance they’d drop conference championships games, but there’s pretty much a 0% chance they’ll drop any regular season games.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2022 07:25 PM by Poster.)
12-24-2022 07:17 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
I think Leach is thinking the way I am thinking. We could see more schools in the FBS, and then split D1 in all sports that way.
12-24-2022 07:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Poster Offline
All American

(12-24-2022 07:19 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  I think Leach is thinking the way I am thinking. We could see more schools in the FBS, and then split D1 in all sports that way.

You’d prefer a 256 or 512 team playoff, and for St John’s of Minnesota to get the automatic #1 seed to the playoff every year.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2022 07:23 PM by Poster.)
12-24-2022 07:22 PM
jimrtex Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston, Tulsa, Colorado
(12-21-2022 12:32 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ng-typical

You could do it like the UIL does for 5A, with FBS acting as Division I, and FCS as Division II.

It so happens that 5A Division I has 133 teams the same as FBS.

Divide FBS up into 16 districts, generally with 8, but some with 9 or maybe 10. You might pair two 9-team districts so that they can play an OOD team on their bye week.

Top 4 qualify for each district with four districts in each region to determine national semifinalists.

National finals played at Jerryworld.

Leach would have been familiar with this system since he would have been watching several playoff games each weekend when he was at Texas Tech.
12-24-2022 09:14 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(12-24-2022 09:14 PM)jimrtex Wrote:  

You could do it like the UIL does for 5A, with FBS acting as Division I, and FCS as Division II.

Divide FBS up into 16 districts, generally with 8, but some with 9 or maybe 10. You might pair two 9-team districts so that they can play an OOD team on their bye week.

Top 4 qualify for each district with four districts in each region to determine national semifinalists.

Leach would have been familiar with this system since he would have been watching several playoff games each weekend when he was at Texas Tech.

UIL is just one small area and one state.
12-24-2022 09:17 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

(12-24-2022 07:22 PM)Poster Wrote:  
(12-24-2022 07:19 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  I think Leach is thinking the way I am thinking. We could see more schools in the FBS, and then split D1 in all sports that way.

You’d prefer a 256 or 512 team playoff, and for St John’s of Minnesota to get the automatic #1 seed to the playoff every year.

I'm really good at math, I predict a 2048 team playoffs.
12-24-2022 11:23 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I love that they play all state title games at Jerry World. Can you imagine being a kid from some little podunk 2A school playing there? Amazing.
12-24-2022 11:25 PM
jimrtex Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston, Tulsa, Colorado
(12-24-2022 11:25 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

I love that they play all state title games at Jerry World. Can you imagine being a kid from some little podunk 2A school playing there? Amazing.
They also play the 1A (6 Man) championships there. This is really cool video showing the transformation from 6-man to 11-man.

Timelapse of AT&T Stadium's transformation from six-man to eleven-man

If you have the ability to slow it down it is worth it. 6-man uses a smaller field. 80 yards long and narrower.

It appears the video begins right at the end of the game, with the teams on the field. The teams then line-up on the sidelines for the trophy presentation. I think you are looking at Westbrook in a purplish color. The ISD has a total population of 920 (this is adults, children, everybody. The HS (9-12) reported 84 for alignment purposes. The crowd looks more than 920.

There is a temporary sideline, and advertising boards outside those sidelines to help frame the playing area. There are also goal posts on the regular goal lines, which are at the back of the end zones for 6-man. There are pylons to mark the 6-man goal lines (10-yard line for 6-man).

So while the trophy ceremony is going on, the 6-man goal posts are coming down. Then the advertising boards are moved back outside the 11-man sidelines. After the players are out of the way it looks like they use a wet vac to remover the 6-man sidelines.

The teams in the 1A Division 2 (small schools) final were Benjamin (44 enrollment) and Loraine (37 enrollment). Benjamin is about 90 miles north of Abilene. The town has 186 people despite being the county seat. Loraine is east of Colorado City.

The teams in 1A Division 1 (larger schools) final were Westbrook (84 enrollment) and Abbott (82 enrollment). Westbrook is west of Colorado City, only about 20 miles from Loraine. Abbott is near Hillsboro.

Attendance for the two 1A games were 4232 and 4703. For the 2A game that (Wednesday) evening the attendance was 6504. Tickets were $20 and good for all three games. Presumably the attendance were admission before each game (or half time or end of game). Some fans may have left after their game. I don't know if there was readmission. The games were at 11 AM, 2 PM, and 7 PM.
12-25-2022 03:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.