Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Will a sizable influx of (e.g., >10) FCS to FBS schools - OR ANYTHING ELSE - cause the P5 to split-off from the rest of the FBS?
It is certain.
It would be very likely to cause the P5 to split off.
It would be somewhat likely to cause the P5 to split off.
It might tip the balance, but then again, it might not.
I don't think it would be too likely to cause the P5 to split off.
I'm convinced that it would be very UNLIKELY to cause a split.
Cannot predict now - ask again later.
I'm too hazy (or would rather not talk about it) right now.
other (describe in comments)
[Show Results]

Will sizable influx of FCS to FBS schools - or anything else - cause a P5 split-off?
Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams
Will sizable influx of FCS to FBS schools - or anything else - cause a P5 split-off?

Will a sizable influx of FCS to FBS schools - OR ANYTHING ELSE - cause the P5 to split-off from the rest of the FBS?
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2022 08:30 PM by Milwaukee.)
12-20-2022 07:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
RE: Will sizable influx of FCS to FBS schools - OR ANYTHING ELSE - cause a P5 split-off?
The only thing that will do anything is money. If there's money to be made by splitting off, it'll happen. Otherwise it won't happen.
12-20-2022 07:27 PM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams
RE: Will sizable influx of FCS to FBS schools - OR ANYTHING ELSE - cause a P5 split-off?
(12-20-2022 07:27 PM)e-parade Wrote:  The only thing that will do anything is money. If there's money to be made by splitting off, it'll happen. Otherwise it won't happen.

Arguments could be made in both directions, but my guess is that there's little to be gained by splitting off, and that the risks wouldn't necessarily justify the potential rewards.

The main risk might be that the law of unintended consequences might apply. Rather than giving the P5 more of an income advantage than it already has, it's possible that the G5 might get a larger boost from a split.

Why? Because it might be possible that a split could help turn the G5 into a competitive alternative league, as opposed to its current status as sort of a "little brother" to the P5.

Another point worth considering is that a split might result in fewer P5 vs. G5 games, and some of the P5 vs. G5 games are good for some of the P5 schools.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2022 07:59 PM by Milwaukee.)
12-20-2022 07:52 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
RE: Will sizable influx of FCS to FBS schools - or anything else - cause a P5 split-off?
The split already happened. The 10 CFP conferences are the split. ASUN/WAC can go FBS, but they won’t crack the CFP.
12-20-2022 08:36 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
RE: Will sizable influx of FCS to FBS schools - or anything else - cause a P5 split-off?
(12-20-2022 08:36 PM)Crayton Wrote:  The split already happened. The 10 CFP conferences are the split. ASUN/WAC can go FBS, but they won’t crack the CFP.

Good point. It's an invitational after all.
12-20-2022 10:29 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
(12-20-2022 07:27 PM)e-parade Wrote:  The only thing that will do anything is money. If there's money to be made by splitting off, it'll happen. Otherwise it won't happen.

And because they won’t have to subsidize the G5, they’ll get to keep all the $$. A split is inevitable
12-20-2022 10:48 PM
Advertisement

Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
(12-20-2022 07:52 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  

Arguments could be made in both directions, but my guess is that there's little to be gained by splitting off, and that the risks wouldn't necessarily justify the potential rewards.

The main risk might be that the law of unintended consequences might apply. Rather than giving the P5 more of an income advantage than it already has, it's possible that the G5 might get a larger boost from a split.

Why? Because it might be possible that a split could help turn the G5 into a competitive alternative league, as opposed to its current status as sort of a "little brother" to the P5.

Another point worth considering is that a split might result in fewer P5 vs. G5 games, and some of the P5 vs. G5 games are good for some of the P5 schools.

Those games are ONLY good if they win! You can’t lose a game you don’t play.
12-20-2022 10:50 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I doubt the P5 conferences care if the G5 or “G6” in this scenario want to divide the already existing money even more amongst themselves. If it begins taking large sums from their pocket then there might be a discussion. However I really don’t see WACSUN becoming FBS. EKU has been trying for years but no invite yet and SFA could probably get a C-USA invite if they wanted one but the other 8 are probably no-gos.

I’m more curious about a split happening where the current FBS + Big East + a few others form 1-A and 1-AA basketball.
12-20-2022 11:37 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Other-- There will be no split IF... the NCAA just enforces the rules already on the books.

Current rule------- FCS can ONLY move up if invited by an EXISTING FBS conference.
12-21-2022 12:05 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
I'm not saying that we won't eventually split off, but, if we do, it won't be b/c a few more teams jumped to FBS.
12-21-2022 12:41 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
The B2 could careless about the G5 or probably even the M3 or how many schools are involved. In the real world these schools are in a different class already. ASUN/WAC has several schools who will compete head on with several G5 schools and that is why you see posters complaining about the possible move. These same ones complain about any move ups.

If a split does happen it will be because the B2 has decided it is best for their programs. And why would they take the M3 along for the ride most of those schools do not provide the funds or the B2 would invite them. The end of the ACC GOR will be the action which could provide a split or at least a date.
12-21-2022 08:25 AM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Adding more schools to FBS = more $$$$$$$$$$ to be made for the networks, sponsors, and the whole of college football including P5 and G5. Some of you who wanted schools be booted out of FBS do not realized it is already expensive with a few teams in FBS that there already is. Adding more schools like schools in the Big Sky, WAC and others can help count towards an FBS opponent. If the P5 stops scheduling G5 in the future as they expand to 20 teams? You need more FBS schools for the G5 to play.
12-21-2022 09:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(12-21-2022 09:16 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Adding more schools to FBS = more $$$$$$$$$$ to be made for the networks, sponsors, and the whole of college football including P5 and G5. Some of you who wanted schools be booted out of FBS do not realized it is already expensive with a few teams in FBS that there already is. Adding more schools like schools in the Big Sky, WAC and others can help count towards an FBS opponent. If the P5 stops scheduling G5 in the future as they expand to 20 teams? You need more FBS schools for the G5 to play.

[Image: 0de35d6b613cb1390f2975a76c8982f2--silly-...quotes.jpg]
12-21-2022 09:57 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(12-21-2022 09:16 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Adding more schools to FBS = more $$$$$$$$$$ to be made for the networks, sponsors, and the whole of college football including P5 and G5. Some of you who wanted schools be booted out of FBS do not realized it is already expensive with a few teams in FBS that there already is. Adding more schools like schools in the Big Sky, WAC and others can help count towards an FBS opponent. If the P5 stops scheduling G5 in the future as they expand to 20 teams? You need more FBS schools for the G5 to play.

I know myself and others have explained this to you but if adding a ton of FCS schools to the FBS increased revenue for those conferences then 1. They would've been invited up already. And 2. They'd already be making money in the FCS.

Adding schools that dont make money wont magically increase the pie for all of FBS.

There are enough G5 schools for everyone to play. Especially since we are losing two independents which will create less demand for OOC games overall.

Not sure why I even bothered typing this out.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2022 10:47 AM by Bobcat2013.)
12-21-2022 10:46 AM
unalions Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
(12-20-2022 08:36 PM)Crayton Wrote:  The split already happened. The 10 CFP conferences are the split. ASUN/WAC can go FBS, but they won’t crack the CFP.

Lol. If P5 wants a few more FBS opponents (instead of FCS) to schedule, the new conference will be welcomed with open arms into FBS and CFP money.

We all know who controls this: P5 and ESPN.
12-21-2022 11:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
unalions Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
(12-21-2022 10:46 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

I know myself and others have explained this to you but if adding a ton of FCS schools to the FBS increased revenue for those conferences then 1. They would've been invited up already. And 2. They'd already be making money in the FCS.

Adding schools that dont make money wont magically increase the pie for all of FBS.

There are enough G5 schools for everyone to play. Especially since we are losing two independents which will create less demand for OOC games overall.

Not sure why I even bothered typing this out.

Is that why so many P5’s schedule an FCS game now? Lol. With the expansion to the CFP, those teams will likely drop scheduling FCS for strength of scheduling (SOS) purposes now.

Therefore, the big boys want a few more FBS schools to schedule in the new environment.

The increase in money is coming from the expanded playoff, not by adding teams.
12-21-2022 11:58 AM
Advertisement

Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
Yes, P5/G5 splits and G5 commences playoffs, essentially creating a new FCS.
12-21-2022 12:00 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I certainly hope so. The influx of new FBS schools is alarming. Back when the BCS started, there was only 112. in a few years we will be well into the mid-130s.

These schools are only coming to try and get a piece of the CFP pie and frankly could afford to be at that level if it weren’t for the CFP money, body bag money, and the fees they soak their students with. There’s nothing wrong with being a respectable FCS school.
12-21-2022 12:00 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
My answer is NO, because IMO the granting of "autonomy" ten years ago removed the only reason why the P5 were concerned about the influx - fear of their proposals getting voted down by non-P5 FBS schools.

Since that's no longer a problem, IMO the influx of FCS to FBS is "all good' for the P2/M3, in that it just means more cupcake schools to feast on and yet the wins still count as "FBS" wins for bowl and marketing purposes. An FCS-to-FBS basically means a school willing to sock its students with about $15m in additional fees for the privilege of getting to occasionally play a P2/M3 school. That's a cost entirely born by the G5 school.

Sure, every so often one of those cupcakes bites you in the arse, beats you, but overall the benefits of having them far outweighs that, IMO.

Really, the only schools that have reason to dislike this influx are the existing G5 schools, as this mean more schools crowding around their trough, a trough that is meager to begin with. But the G5 have no place to leave to.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2022 12:04 PM by quo vadis.)
12-21-2022 12:01 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M

Ridiculous. Utah Tech averages 3,700 per game, the others in WAC not far off. Those are strong D3 numbers. They have stadiums smaller than most FCS. It’s reached the absurd.

If anything, these most recent shifts are making a joke of G5. No good program in FCS at this point would want to jump in that cesspool.
12-21-2022 12:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.