Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

More Important Than Recruiting
Bookmark and Share
TigerinFL Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
More Important Than Recruiting
so it is going to be a record of players entering the transfer portal. not just talking Tigers here, but any team. are you smarter to spend time recruiting HS players and developing them over years and hope that they stay? or are you smarter to spend time working the portal to find players who have some experience and have grown more into their bodies?

it's a very fair question and one that needs to be asked. i think the portal is hurting HS recruits because they can commit to a school and then that same school sees a possible transferee available and brings him in. now the HS kid either has to wait his turn or then he is going to be hitting the portal himself next year. and then the cycle continues on and on.

i think a college team would be smart to start a department that's sole job is to build a data base on players who are entering the portal and have a scouting report on those kids. most likely the coaches of the team aren't going to have all that information because they've been busy with their own kids and playing the season out. no way they can know about all the kids who could be available who play in other conferences and all across the country.

IMO that would be the smartest way to find kids who are a little more mature and have experience in a game and have developed. if you rely on getting kids out of HS then you're probably going to find yourself behind the eight ball year after year.

so you're a college coach and you need help to shore up your O line or D line or need to find a special teams player. where do you go?
12-09-2022 11:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
RE: More Important Than Recruiting
(12-09-2022 11:34 PM)TigerinFL Wrote:  so it is going to be a record of players entering the transfer portal. not just talking Tigers here, but any team. are you smarter to spend time recruiting HS players and developing them over years and hope that they stay? or are you smarter to spend time working the portal to find players who have some experience and have grown more into their bodies?

it's a very fair question and one that needs to be asked. i think the portal is hurting HS recruits because they can commit to a school and then that same school sees a possible transferee available and brings him in. now the HS kid either has to wait his turn or then he is going to be hitting the portal himself next year. and then the cycle continues on and on.

i think a college team would be smart to start a department that's sole job is to build a data base on players who are entering the portal and have a scouting report on those kids. most likely the coaches of the team aren't going to have all that information because they've been busy with their own kids and playing the season out. no way they can know about all the kids who could be available who play in other conferences and all across the country.

IMO that would be the smartest way to find kids who are a little more mature and have experience in a game and have developed. if you rely on getting kids out of HS then you're probably going to find yourself behind the eight ball year after year.

so you're a college coach and you need help to shore up your O line or D line or need to find a special teams player. where do you go?

All good stuff
12-09-2022 11:41 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
In a different thread, I said there will be a lot of disappointed kids.

Someone else pointed out that only 40% of transfers find a new place to play.

While the portal is no doubt important, there are many good reasons a lot of these players are not getting playing time. I would think 3-4 players through the portal will be an average number. Programs will still get the vast majority of their players through high school recruiting.
12-09-2022 11:48 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(12-09-2022 11:48 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  In a different thread, I said there will be a lot of disappointed kids.

Someone else pointed out that only 40% of transfers find a new place to play.

While the portal is no doubt important, there are many good reasons a lot of these players are not getting playing time. I would think 3-4 players through the portal will be an average number. Programs will still get the vast majority of their players through high school recruiting.

Like R Clark, left Memphis & still looking for a new home a year later. Many similar stories. And since the portal numbers are rising each year (so far) that percentage finding a new home will tend down I would think to even lower percentages. Also heard yesterday some interesting stats that should give us some insight about potential incoming transfers. Generally stated that "most" transfers regardless of their incoming high school star ratings that didn't get on the field as part of a regular rotation where they originally signed won't get on the field as part of a regular rotation after transfer. If nothing else that should give us a rough guide for expectations.
12-10-2022 09:12 AM
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
florida has 11 4-stars in the portal

texas a&m has 12 4-stars or higher in the portal

man this thing is fluid
12-10-2022 09:28 AM
Advertisement

Tigerspartan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
Supply and demand.

Kids are finally getting compensated.

Fairest it’s ever been.
12-10-2022 09:34 AM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2022 09:28 AM)Unionman76 Wrote:  florida has 11 4-stars in the portal

man this thing is fluid

Leaving star ratings out of the discussion.....it would seem that coaches need to look at the portal and see if there is a player that will improve the overall roster situation. Picking up a player that is high rated but ends up on your second team, is still an improvement in the overall roster if you have a need there. I have pretty much given up on expecting us to sign a super star in the football portal. The QB situation in the portal is enticing but we don't have a perceived need there.
12-10-2022 01:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

(12-10-2022 01:37 PM)DallasTiger Wrote:  
(12-10-2022 09:28 AM)Unionman76 Wrote:  florida has 11 4-stars in the portal

man this thing is fluid

Leaving star ratings out of the discussion.....it would seem that coaches need to look at the portal and see if there is a player that will improve the overall roster situation. Picking up a player that is high rated but ends up on your second team, is still an improvement in the overall roster if you have a need there. I have pretty much given up on expecting us to sign a super star in the football portal. The QB situation in the portal is enticing but we don't have a perceived need there.

i always liked the qb king from longview, but
he did not work out at texas a&m
12-10-2022 01:48 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Well, it is recruiting. Just a different kind than HS. Used to, coaches only recruited HSs. Now they recruit HSs, transfers, and re-recruit their own players every offseason.
12-10-2022 02:42 PM
Advertisement

hk25 Offline
Special Teams

My opinion is your foundation will be your homegrown HS kids who come in learn the system and stay their entire careers. You then use the portal to fill immediate wholes in the rotation due to injuries, missing on your homegrown talent, or in the rare case for G5’s someone gets promoted. Basically the portal replaces the need to go to Juco for more experienced players.

I believe G5’s will gain more talent from portal than what they loose. Since I believe the top HS kids will still primarily sign with P5’s, then the ones that don’t win playing time quickly will either transfer down to G5 to get on the field or be run off by their current p5 team to free up their scholarship for the next hotshot HS kid.

Simply put both HS kids & portal transfers will be important, but the core I think will still be the HS kids with the portal transfers sort of being like trade deadline acquisitions in the pros to hopefully put you over the top.
12-10-2022 03:52 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

(12-10-2022 03:52 PM)hk25 Wrote:  My opinion is your foundation will be your homegrown HS kids who come in learn the system and stay their entire careers. You then use the portal to fill immediate wholes in the rotation due to injuries, missing on your homegrown talent, or in the rare case for G5’s someone gets promoted. Basically the portal replaces the need to go to Juco for more experienced players.

I believe G5’s will gain more talent from portal than what they loose. Since I believe the top HS kids will still primarily sign with P5’s, then the ones that don’t win playing time quickly will either transfer down to G5 to get on the field or be run off by their current p5 team to free up their scholarship for the next hotshot HS kid.

Simply put both HS kids & portal transfers will be important, but the core I think will still be the HS kids with the portal transfers sort of being like trade deadline acquisitions in the pros to hopefully put you over the top.

These are my views at well.
12-10-2022 04:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.