Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Candle Purdue…..probably not
Bookmark and Share
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2022 10:28 PM by indianasniff.)
12-07-2022 10:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
RE: Candle Purdue…..probably not
(12-07-2022 10:26 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  https://www.boiledsports.com/2022-bs-sea...candidates

Tier 2 candidate on this list

https://www.boiledsports.com/posts/2022/...son-candle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, 4 of their 6 “Tier 1” candidates are pure fantasy.
12-07-2022 10:55 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-07-2022 10:55 PM)holybovine Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 10:26 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  https://www.boiledsports.com/2022-bs-sea...candidates

Campbell and DeBoer are the only two I'd rule out. The rest have some history with Purdue or with the style they bring. Enough to presume at least minor mutual interest. If this had happened a week ago, Sean Lewis would have been on this list.
12-08-2022 07:34 AM
toledobigmike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
By my quick estimate, six of those thirteen coaches are current or former MAC coaches. Reading some of their assessments shows they’re inexplicably divorced from reality about their program. Aren’t we 3-3 vs Purdue? IMO, Toledo will make a playoff bid before a perpetual bottom dwelling B10 Purdue. Money, history and conference hasn’t helped them consistently beat us or even disproportionately out-recruit us. Quadrupling our coaches pay won’t make him a better coach at Purdue. That OSU loss this season should dispel any notion that he’s a legit candidate unless their AD is incompetent or irrationally optimistic.
12-08-2022 12:01 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(12-08-2022 12:01 PM)toledobigmike Wrote:  By my quick estimate, six of those thirteen coaches are current or former MAC coaches. Reading some of their assessments shows they’re inexplicably divorced from reality about their program. Aren’t we 3-3 vs Purdue? IMO, Toledo will make a playoff bid before a perpetual bottom dwelling B10 Purdue. Money, history and conference hasn’t helped them consistently beat us or even disproportionately out-recruit us. Quadrupling our coaches pay won’t make him a better coach at Purdue. That OSU loss this season should dispel any notion that he’s a legit candidate unless their AD is incompetent or irrationally optimistic.

The new coach will make North of 8 mil at Purdue. They're loaded. So 7x pay raise for a guy like Candle, in an also cheap city. But I agree, without divisions Purdue won't sniff a B1G title when USC and UCLA come to it.
12-08-2022 12:44 PM
toledobigmike Offline
1st String

FWIW from 247 Sports…
“ Coming off a conference championship win over the weekend, Jason Candle's stock is high at the moment and often is as one of the Group of Five's most respected coaches.”
12-08-2022 01:42 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Current B10 Coaching salaries

Penn St (Frankline) 7 mil --> #8 Purdue (Brohm) 4.4 mil --> #14 Md (Locksley) 2.5 mill

Purdue's athletic budget is self-sustaining, not connected to the academic campus in anyways. Athlete Scholarships come from the John Purdue Club. They're not in competition with anyone for coaches. There's little pressure from the fan-base to do that.
12-08-2022 02:24 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

(12-08-2022 12:01 PM)toledobigmike Wrote:  By my quick estimate, six of those thirteen coaches are current or former MAC coaches. Reading some of their assessments shows they’re inexplicably divorced from reality about their program. Aren’t we 3-3 vs Purdue? IMO, Toledo will make a playoff bid before a perpetual bottom dwelling B10 Purdue. Money, history and conference hasn’t helped them consistently beat us or even disproportionately out-recruit us. Quadrupling our coaches pay won’t make him a better coach at Purdue. That OSU loss this season should dispel any notion that he’s a legit candidate unless their AD is incompetent or irrationally optimistic.

I have watched a lot of Purdue football last four years with my son in the band. Purdue went to a bowl game in four of the six years under Brohm. Six conference wins the last two years. Yes they struggled after Tiller left with a couple bad hires but this is a program with an up trajectory. Do not think “perpetual bottom dwelling” is an accurate statement

12-08-2022 02:39 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-08-2022 02:39 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  

I have watched a lot of Purdue football last four years with my son in the band. Purdue went to a bowl game in four of the six years under Brohm. Six conference wins the last two years. Yes they struggled after Tiller left with a couple bad hires but this is a program with an up trajectory. Do not think “perpetual bottom dwelling” is an accurate statement

Purdue is very competitive #4 down in the B10. I know Brohm played at Louisville, but to leave a Big 10 school making big money this new contract for a college not even in the same galaxy academically is a head scratcher. Maybe he doesn't like living in the "north".
12-08-2022 03:30 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
(12-08-2022 07:34 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 10:55 PM)holybovine Wrote:  

Campbell and DeBoer are the only two I'd rule out. The rest have some history with Purdue or with the style they bring. Enough to presume at least minor mutual interest. If this had happened a week ago, Sean Lewis would have been on this list.

Come on man; Purdue isn’t getting Klieman or Léipold.
12-08-2022 04:04 PM
toledobigmike Offline
1st String

Purdue has averaged 3.25 conference wins per season over the last 40 years. Call it what you will. I’m distinctly unimpressed with those results.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch...index.html
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2022 04:05 PM by toledobigmike.)
12-08-2022 04:05 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Purdue is almost always in the lower half of the conference in football. It just looks a little better recently because the restructering put them in the division without Michigan, Ohio St or Penn St. In almost every case, the second best team was in the East.

Purdue is excited about 8 wins. Brohm is very good at calling a game. Hw has upsets and even when losing favored, it wasn't favored by much. But they can't remotely compete for recruits like the top programs or even the real bottom dweller, Nebraska. NO coach is going in there and turning them into Ohio St. They would be lucky to ever compete with Ferentz.

Since the Beckman years, Toledo has had better recruits and players in most skilled positions. What Purdue has had, is one generational player and a bunch of solids.

We now know in hindsight, the number of players having NFL careers that our coaches were strong at recruiting and developing and just not that good at calling a game. The in-game x's and o's and game management seems to be where they get beat.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2022 04:40 PM by eastisbest.)
12-08-2022 04:39 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2022 12:44 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

The new coach will make North of 8 mil at Purdue. They're loaded. So 7x pay raise for a guy like Candle, in an also cheap city. But I agree, without divisions Purdue won't sniff a B1G title when USC and UCLA come to it.

West Lafayette is a nice little college town with Purdue running the show, but besides that, there's nothing. Just nothingness and randomness everywhere outside of campus.
12-09-2022 12:09 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-09-2022 12:09 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(12-08-2022 12:44 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

West Lafayette is a nice little college town with Purdue running the show, but besides that, there's nothing. Just nothingness and randomness everywhere outside of campus.

That's not true. There's Lafayette!, lol Come on, Indy is just up the road, it's not all that bad. What's outside of columbus but more columbus strip malls?

To go back to Indianasniff's comment about salaries, Brohm will make more money at Louisville.

Brohm is mostly going home. Purdue knew this day was coming the day they hired him. Brohm was gracious on the last opening, knew he would be leaving Purdue with the job he'd promised undone, so he stayed and the job went to Satterfield. I'm not seeing any hard feelings in the AD press conference or in the on-line fan-boards. Everyone is happy for him. It was a shock his brother staying through the Bowl Game. Just real good people. Louisville is going to get tough again.
12-09-2022 06:53 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Syracuse loses both its OC and its DC today. Hmmmmmm
12-09-2022 01:51 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

(12-09-2022 01:51 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Syracuse loses both its OC and its DC today. Hmmmmmm

Yeah maybe it’s Babers

12-09-2022 07:39 PM
Advertisement

pono Online
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-09-2022 12:09 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(12-08-2022 12:44 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  [quote='toledobigmike' pid='18652854' dateline='1670518916']
By my quick estimate, six of those thirteen coaches are current or former MAC coaches. Reading some of their assessments shows they’re inexplicably divorced from reality about their program. Aren’t we 3-3 vs Purdue? IMO, Toledo will make a playoff bid before a perpetual bottom dwelling B10 Purdue. Money, history and conference hasn’t helped them consistently beat us or even disproportionately out-recruit us. Quadrupling our coaches pay won’t make him a better coach at Purdue. That OSU loss this season should dispel any notion that he’s a legit candidate unless their AD is incompetent or irrationally optimistic.
I concur, that’s a particularly sad boring section of a generally boring state, but the school is big and well funded.

[/quote

I concur, a dull part of a generally boring state.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2022 08:20 PM by pono.)
12-09-2022 08:19 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

^^^^^
They say it's between Chicago and Indianapolis but I can't even find it using Google map.

(12-09-2022 07:39 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  
(12-09-2022 01:51 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Syracuse loses both its OC and its DC today. Hmmmmmm

Yeah maybe it’s Babers

then Candle to Syracuse.
12-09-2022 10:08 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

Candle waiting for that extension and possibly more money from UT after the Rockets win their bowl game.
12-09-2022 10:56 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

https://boile.rs/FBHCRW

So Purdue needs an OC……

12-13-2022 02:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.