Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What does MAC BB look like now???
Bookmark and Share
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
What does MAC BB look like now???
Had hopes at least half the MAC BB teams would be looking stout by now, but that just is not the case. However, it does look like Ohio is getting its act together, Akron and UB show some promise and Eastern's talent can't be denied.

So there's hope by January things look a bit more solid. But as of now here is one observation.

1) Toledo and Kent State are a cut above the rest.

2) Ohio and Akron could easily join them soon.

3) UB remains a puzzle but still time.

4) EMU may not be as deep as Toledo/Kent, but starting 5 measures up with both.

5) Wild card to me remains Ball State.

6) Questions-Questions-Questions after that.
12-02-2022 09:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
RE: What does MAC BB look like now???
WMU looking at cellar dweller status yet again.
12-02-2022 10:43 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Motown Bronco, assuming you watch the basketball non-conf as close as me and realize that the league was real close to having a good start but lost a bunch of last minute leads over good teams.

A no-call and missed shot or 2 has kept Kent from being 8-0 and ranked w a win over #1 seed type team on the road. They battle and have glue guys and push each other. Carry is hit or miss, he's gonna shoot you just hope to get him on a cool night. Good guards. Frontcourt doesn't have any all-MAC type guys but there's no bums.

OU could easily be 6-1 w wins at Michigan and Belmont. lots of new pieces and roles. might gel. should be a winning team even if it doesn't.

Akron had a really good Nevada team beat on a neutral court but let it slip away. they beat a good WKU team and have competitive losses to solid clubs. they just can't shoot. gonna outwork a lot of MAC teams for wins. probably need castenada to be hot to beat anybody good.

Toledo has looked great against 5 average to good teams, but went flat against uninspiring competition in a florida tournament. Most complete offense in the league. my early season vote for best player in RayJ Dennis.

UB has some guys. The roster is deep in terms of legit D1 players, but it's been predictably inconsistent so far. They can overwhelm an unathletic team and have some guys who can score points. Probably my 5th team in terms of their floor.

EMU and CMU both have some high talent young players. EMU is really young and not very deep and had a terrible 6 game losing streak, but when they decide to play hard and for an entire half or game they have looked pretty good. if they can zero in on their strengths and find a better way to fit in their 5,6,7,8,9th best guys they could be good. As it is they are sloppy shot makers that play poor defense get in foul trouble and lose close games. CMU has some similar attributes but is missing key players. I'm not in the loop on CMU hoops but Boopie Miller who is their best player and maybe top 10 in the MAC has missed recent games and their big PF transfer Harding? who played well early has been out for a while. Barbee keeps tinkering with the lineup. if they get everyone healthy and on the same page there is a lot of potential with a good pg running the show.

BSU so so play, Boogie Coleman has been mediocre in his 5th year return. sparks is good but not elite. new coach inconsistent effort. some injuries and guys out, in, out. Got enough players but nothing too special so far.

Miami under Steele will be better I think. Not sure how it adds up this season but I wouldn't be shocked if they are middle of the pack in the MAC standings.

BG is not going to be good in the MAC without either a solid pg or consistent shooting guard play. their bigger guys might be a problem around the glass for a few MAC teams, but they're not complete players that can take over a game. Guess this depends on if Huger can get a low ceiling team to buy in. To grow into a team that might sneak into the MAC tourney.

NIU is a little better with Nutter but still a hot mess most nights.

WMU is pretty young and plays pretty hard under stevens. some decent talent to develop but not much ready now, especially w their top guy injured.

based on current health and availability my 1/4 of the way in prediction is
Toledo 15-3
Kent 14-4
Akron 11-7
Ohio 11-7
Buffalo 10-8
EMU 9-9
Ball St 9-9
Miami 8-10
CMU 7-11
BG 7-11
WMU 5-13
NIU 2-16
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2022 02:42 AM by pono.)
12-03-2022 02:15 AM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
(12-02-2022 10:43 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  WMU looking at cellar dweller status yet again.

Not so fast my friend cmu says hold my beer lol
12-03-2022 06:40 AM
OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Mac hoops down this year. Lots of losses to transfers. These teams have lots of new players and will take time to develop. No top 100 teams in MAC. MAC is about what the Horizon League is now. A lot of 200-350 rpi teams and a couple in the 150-200 range. Nothing close to atlarge
12-03-2022 05:03 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
(12-03-2022 05:03 PM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Mac hoops down this year. Lots of losses to transfers. These teams have lots of new players and will take time to develop. No top 100 teams in MAC. MAC is about what the Horizon League is now. A lot of 200-350 rpi teams and a couple in the 150-200 range. Nothing close to atlarge

Let's not get carried away here. The MAC is significantly better than the Horizon. Per Kenpom, the MAC has 2 teams in the top 100 and 6 teams in the top 200. The Horizon League has only two teams in the top 200 and no teams in the top 150.
12-03-2022 06:32 PM
Advertisement

astr083 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State & MAC
(12-03-2022 05:03 PM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Mac hoops down this year. Lots of losses to transfers. These teams have lots of new players and will take time to develop. No top 100 teams in MAC. MAC is about what the Horizon League is now. A lot of 200-350 rpi teams and a couple in the 150-200 range. Nothing close to atlarge

Kent State looks like they could be our one at-large hopeful. They recently lost to a good Charleston team by 2 (yes, the officiating practically gave the game to C of C), and a very competitive 5 point loss at #1 Houston. If they can beat Gonzaga on Monday, they definitely deserve some Top 25 cred/attention.
12-03-2022 09:10 PM
CMichFan Offline

I Root For: CMU

Crappies
Miller and Harding have been "nicked up" in the coach's words. Fortunately, they weren't needed for our past two contests. A couple of other regulars were out due to flu.
12-04-2022 10:09 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
If Stephens can’t rebuild Western, we’re likely permanent cellar-dwellar. We put our money into football & hockey, & basketball plays third wheel. So if Stephens can’t rebuild us, you’ll probably see us put less into basketball than what we do. Unless some day we’re willing to push money from football or hockey into basketball.

I like having all 3 sports, but all 3 never good at one time. & I don’t see us moving $$ from football & hockey.
12-05-2022 03:19 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
I think EMU will be lucky to win 7 games
12-05-2022 05:24 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(12-03-2022 06:32 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  

Let's not get carried away here. The MAC is significantly better than the Horizon. Per Kenpom, the MAC has 2 teams in the top 100 and 6 teams in the top 200. The Horizon League has only two teams in the top 200 and no teams in the top 150.
It's December. No need to defend ourselves yet.

Louisville is bad. 0-8. But 361 of 363... come on.
12-05-2022 05:31 PM
Advertisement

OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
MAC hasn't had an at-large bid in 20 plus years. It is gone from bad to worse. MAC isn't top 20 conference now. Zero signature wins.
12-09-2022 12:14 AM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
MAC basketball is ass.
12-09-2022 04:31 AM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
The West is busy investing in football. Akron, Kent, & Buffalo (the basketball schools) need to step up. Buffalo had a nice run, including Tournament wins, but not really much other than that.
12-09-2022 03:07 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

(12-09-2022 03:07 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  The West is busy investing in football. Akron, Kent, & Buffalo (the basketball schools) need to step up. Buffalo had a nice run, including Tournament wins, but not really much other than that.

Ohio got a tournament win 2 years ago and Akron nearly knocked off UCLA last tournament. When's the last time the MAC West achieved anything in football? WMU in 2016?

It's pretty inexcusable for these MAC schools to be kenpom 300+. They're literally getting outperformed by schools that are dirt poor and who have enrollments under 7k. Like having 1 bad year sure that's fine, but some of these schools are this bad every year and show no signs of wanting to improve. When the MAC was a top 8-12 conference ~5 years ago it was because the MAC was deep. There was maybe 1-2 teams outside the top 250. Now half the conference is.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2022 04:04 PM by kreed5120.)
12-09-2022 03:46 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-09-2022 03:46 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  
(12-09-2022 03:07 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  The West is busy investing in football. Akron, Kent, & Buffalo (the basketball schools) need to step up. Buffalo had a nice run, including Tournament wins, but not really much other than that.

Ohio got a tournament win 2 years ago and Akron nearly knocked off UCLA last tournament. When's the last time the MAC West achieved anything in football? WMU in 2016?

It's pretty inexcusable for these MAC schools to be kenpom 300+. They're literally getting outperformed by schools that are dirt poor and who have enrollments under 7k. Like having 1 bad year sure that's fine, but some of these schools are this bad every year and show no signs of wanting to improve. When the MAC was a top 8-12 conference ~5 years ago it was because the MAC was deep. There was maybe 1-2 teams outside the top 250. Now half the conference is.

Achieved anything in fb? Um bad NIU, and Toledo teams have won the entire thing. When's the last time an East team did sht?
12-10-2022 12:19 AM
Advertisement

kreed5120 Offline
1st String

(12-10-2022 12:19 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

Achieved anything in fb? Um bad NIU, and Toledo teams have won the entire thing. When's the last time an East team did sht?

Won the entire thing? Are you talking about winning the MAC? The MAC top to bottom is easily the worst conference in all of FBS right now so no schools are really carrying anything at the moment.

My comment was in regards to another poster trying to justify certain programs not trying in basketball. All the MAC schools should be putting forth effort. That's the only way the conference will improve as a whole. The same can be said about football, but nobody here was trying to justify schools punting on that sport.
12-10-2022 10:47 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2022 10:47 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  

Won the entire thing? Are you talking about winning the MAC? The MAC top to bottom is easily the worst conference in all of FBS right now so no schools are really carrying anything at the moment.

My comment was in regards to another poster trying to justify certain programs not trying in basketball. All the MAC schools should be putting forth effort. That's the only way the conference will improve as a whole. The same can be said about football, but nobody here was trying to justify schools punting on that sport.

The MAC is bad in fb but the high spots have still been MAC West teams.
CMU beat Wazzu in their bowl game last year. EMU beat another P5 this season. As far as what the country knows of MAC teams in fb, it's been those two minor achievements. Miami beating 1-11
NW?? Ball State beat SJSU in 2020. When was the last biggest thing for an East team? No titles lately, the longest title drought of any team in the nation, and a division of coaches who leave when they achieve .500 average football... UB and Kent.
12-11-2022 01:23 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

(12-11-2022 01:23 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

CMU beat Wazzu in their bowl game last year. EMU beat another P5 this season. As far as what the country knows of MAC teams in fb, it's been those two minor achievements. Miami beating 1-11
NW?? Ball State beat SJSU in 2020. When was the last biggest thing for an East team? No titles lately, the longest title drought of any team in the nation, and a division of coaches who leave when they achieve .500 average football... UB and Kent.
You know the MAC is bad when the highlight of the conference is beating a 7-6 P5 team...

I think you missed the entire point of my post. I never said the MAC West hasn't been the better division in football. This is a basketball thread and what I'm saying is no MAC team is achieving enough on the football field to justify it being okay for them to consistently be 300+ in NET rankings. Another poster was saying it was okay for MAC West schools to not try in basketball. Do you agree with them?
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2022 12:11 PM by kreed5120.)
12-11-2022 12:05 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-11-2022 12:05 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  
(12-11-2022 01:23 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(12-09-2022 03:46 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  Ohio got a tournament win 2 years ago and Akron nearly knocked off UCLA last tournament. When's the last time the MAC West achieved anything in football? WMU in 2016?

You know the MAC is bad when the highlight of the conference is beating a 7-6 P5 team...

I think you missed the entire point of my post. I never said the MAC West hasn't been the better division in football. This is a basketball thread and what I'm saying is no MAC team is achieving enough on the football field to justify it being okay for them to consistently be 300+ in NET rankings. Another poster was saying it was okay for MAC West schools to not try in basketball. Do you agree with them?

I don't have an opinion of NIU or WMU mbb. They suck, and invest elsewhere. At least WMU has hockey for some form of solice. CMU should be better? The gym is bad... id look at their wbb hire and ask wtf they saw in their current coach. EMU got a top 25 player in the nation and they have been atrocious as a squad. Ball State and Toledo are the 2 who seem like they care about mbb.

The east has had 3 teams go mbb first in UB, Akron and Kent. But each have seen minor success in fb too. On a rotating cycle. Ohio is equal (much like Toledo) in getting all of their teams good situations to succeed. Miami blegh.

Is being content with 300+ ranked teams good for the league? No. Being content with football as a bottom 20 team is probably worse as that sport funds the rest. Akrons hire in fb shows that they are willing to think outside the box though. I'm not sure any schools are punting on fb... obviously a couple are in mbb.
12-11-2022 01:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.