UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tony Kurre’s latest interview with Mark Ingram
KevMo4UAB Online
#FreeUAB

I Root For: UAB
Smile Tony Kurre’s latest interview with Mark Ingram
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2023 10:22 AM by KevMo4UAB.)
12-01-2022 10:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
RE: Tony Kurre’s latest interview with Mark Ingram
another great interview. here's what I wrote in the thread about possible candidates:

We've always heard that BV is a great guy...and that he absolutely loves UAB. I've never heard anything to make me doubt that.
If he's being objective, there's no way he could possibly think that he's earned the head coaching job.

If the first 2 statements are true, here's my wish (and it may be a pipe dream).
BV meets with the players and says "look...I've done my best. It wasn't enough. And that's life and that's okay. I plan to be the head coach through the bowl game. I think the next coach will be fully committed to this Blazer family, it's not his fault that I won't be the head coach next year, and I hope each of you will give him a chance."

based on that interview...it absolutely sounds like that's what happened (or at least it's close)
12-01-2022 10:57 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

It sounds like they did it the best way they could.
12-01-2022 11:31 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
Maybe cautiously optimistic, but I don’t think you’re going to see the mass portal exodus some of the BV stalwarts feared. If anything, the effect from the portal may be a net positive.
12-02-2022 01:27 AM
Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

I like how Kurre doesn’t shy away from any question and Mark doesn’t shy away from any answer. The only time he’s declined to answer was when he was asked about names on his shortlist a few weeks back. It’s refreshing to hear an AD be candid.
12-02-2022 10:24 AM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

There are very few ADs who would be so giving of their time and insight the way ADMI does with Tony. It is very refreshing to hear the banter and candidness. And agree, Tony doesn't shy away from some challenging topics and Mark is pretty insightful in his answers.
12-02-2022 10:29 AM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(12-02-2022 01:27 AM)FNblazer Wrote:  Maybe cautiously optimistic, but I don’t think you’re going to see the mass portal exodus some of the BV stalwarts feared. If anything, the effect from the portal may be a net positive.

I never thought that would be the case. BV isn’t likely going to be somewhere else right away, and entering the portal out of spite is a short sighted decision. I think Dilfer is a big enough name to at least have the remaining guys curious.
12-02-2022 12:41 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(12-02-2022 01:27 AM)FNblazer Wrote:  Maybe cautiously optimistic, but I don’t think you’re going to see the mass portal exodus some of the BV stalwarts feared. If anything, the effect from the portal may be a net positive.

If those "BV stalwarts" are as close to the team/players as they purport to be, then I imagine they are negatively influencing our players with their pro-BV or bust BS too. Hope they get boxed out as part of this transition. In most of my interactions with them, they've come across as more concerned about their place/closeness to the "inner circle" of UAB football rather than the well-being of the program and players. They can wrap it around their care for the players and program, but it's pretty obvious to me what the motivation is.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 01:15 PM by demiveeman.)
12-02-2022 01:13 PM
jaymay2525 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-02-2022 01:13 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  

If those "BV stalwarts" are as close to the team/players as they purport to be, then I imagine they are negatively influencing our players with their pro-BV or bust BS too. Hope they get boxed out as part of this transition. In most of my interactions with them, they've come across as more concerned about their place/closeness to the "inner circle" of UAB football rather than the well-being of the program and players. They can wrap it around their care for the players and program, but it's pretty obvious to me what the motivation is.

2 names come to my mind, lol
12-02-2022 01:19 PM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
(12-02-2022 01:13 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  In most of my interactions with them, they've come across as more concerned about their place/closeness to the "inner circle" of UAB football rather than the well-being of the program and players. They can wrap it around their care for the players and program, but it's pretty obvious to me what the motivation is.

Ever since the team's letter leaked on Tuesday, I've been thinking about a story, and this made me think about it again. I think it fits in well right here.

It was the end of the SMU game, 2005. They'd just gone 80 yards in 4 plays, threw a 30yd Hail Mary at the buzzer for the win. (Sorry to bring this up for those that were there...)

I had graduated already, but was still a young, dumb twenty-something who had been in the brown water. I lost my temper, as I was prone to do back in those days. Voiced my displeasure with Watson Brown very loudly and colorfully in the stands. Not my proudest moment. But it ended up leading to a confrontation with the parent of a player.

This guy had been a football player at Auburn back in the day, think he lettered. His son was the starting running back for UAB at the time. He was a big supporter of Watson, and he'd be damned if some kid talked bad about him. We got into an argument, and I told him to his face that I'd be here supporting UAB long after he was gone and never going to games anymore. That was 17 years ago, and I don't think he's been to a game in nearly all of those because his son was a junior that year. In any event, he tossed me down about 5 rows at Legion Field, and me being younger and more resilient I just bounced back up and went on my way.

I thought of that story this week because it is a reminder of things that are permanent and things that aren't. Some of us are UAB fans. Some out there are what you described- they aren't fans of UAB, they just want to feel close to an inner circle, to make themselves seem important, or some such BS. Somebody else used the phrase personality cult, and I think that's apt. A lot of the people complaining and wishing Vincent had stayed are like that dad who tossed my ass down the stadium. They won't be here in a few years, which means they weren't really UAB fans to begin with.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 03:33 PM by BatesUAB.)
12-02-2022 03:31 PM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

(12-01-2022 10:25 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  https://audioboom.com/posts/8206210-12-0...7hGRQ_dJuA

I have come to know Mark Ingram personally and I could tell those who have not had good things to say about him recently ( I must admit that I was in that number originally) that they are mistaken.

However, they would probably have little reason to believe me. On the other hand, I think if they would listen to this podcast it might well be the first step to understanding that they have been mistaken.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 03:39 PM by CajunBlazer.)
12-02-2022 03:38 PM
Advertisement

BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(12-02-2022 03:38 PM)CajunBlazer Wrote:  
(12-01-2022 10:25 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  https://audioboom.com/posts/8206210-12-0...7hGRQ_dJuA

I have come to know Mark Ingram personally and I could tell those who have not had good things to say about him recently ( I must admit that I was in that number originally) that they are mistaken.

However, they would probably have little reason to believe me. On the other hand, I think if they would listen to this podcast it might well be the first step to understanding that they have been mistaken.

I appreciate your recent posts on FB, Cajun. Respect.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 03:52 PM by BlazerGreen.)
12-02-2022 03:50 PM
Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

Idk him personally other than a couple times running into him at athletics events and some small talk, but I know when he started UAB was one of the worst, if not THE worst, FBS athletics departments. Horrid facilities from football to softball to soccer to track. Horrible on field performance. Passed by all peer institutions. Basketball entered a period of mediocrity. Baseball was meh. This was a shithole. Things were bleak. It was a wonder Ingram even took this job, it was almost like career suicide. I am still not convinced that the BOT didn’t shut the football team down like you’d put a run over dog with $15,000 vet bills out of its misery. A mercy kill. Just imagine if that sickos committee Twitter was around for pre-shutdown UAB football. We’d be ranked #1 every poll they have!

But now? We are one of the top non-power 5 athletic departments in division 1 with facilities on par with a good chunk of the lower & mid-tier power 5 schools. UAB fans need to get past their delusions of grandeur. We aren’t Bama. We aren’t Ohio State. We aren’t Notre Dame. But we are on the rise and things are exciting. The coaching hire is definitely odd, but I think Ingram wasn’t fumbling the bag as much as finding a diamond in the rough. After all, that’s what he saw in UAB
12-02-2022 03:51 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(12-02-2022 03:51 PM)Engblazr Wrote:  Idk him personally other than a couple times running into him at athletics events and some small talk, but I know when he started UAB was one of the worst, if not THE worst, FBS athletics departments. Horrid facilities from football to softball to soccer to track. Horrible on field performance. Passed by all peer institutions. Basketball entered a period of mediocrity. Baseball was meh. This was a shithole. Things were bleak. It was a wonder Ingram even took this job, it was almost like career suicide. I am still not convinced that the BOT didn’t shut the football team down like you’d put a run over dog with $15,000 vet bills out of its misery. A mercy kill. Just imagine if that sickos committee Twitter was around for pre-shutdown UAB football. We’d be ranked #1 every poll they have!

But now? We are one of the top non-power 5 athletic departments in division 1 with facilities on par with a good chunk of the lower & mid-tier power 5 schools. UAB fans need to get past their delusions of grandeur. We aren’t Bama. We aren’t Ohio State. We aren’t Notre Dame. But we are on the rise and things are exciting. The coaching hire is definitely odd, but I think Ingram wasn’t fumbling the bag as much as finding a diamond in the rough. After all, that’s what he saw in UAB

You are correct sir. UAB athletics had been run into the ground by the previous AD. Kudos for the honest acknowledgment. I'm not against Ingram or Dilfer, just disappointed we weren't able to hire a HC with winning FBS experience. I still support UAB football and always will.
12-02-2022 03:58 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

(12-02-2022 03:51 PM)Engblazr Wrote:  Idk him personally other than a couple times running into him at athletics events and some small talk, but I know when he started UAB was one of the worst, if not THE worst, FBS athletics departments. Horrid facilities from football to softball to soccer to track. Horrible on field performance. Passed by all peer institutions. Basketball entered a period of mediocrity. Baseball was meh. This was a shithole. Things were bleak. It was a wonder Ingram even took this job, it was almost like career suicide. I am still not convinced that the BOT didn’t shut the football team down like you’d put a run over dog with $15,000 vet bills out of its misery. A mercy kill. Just imagine if that sickos committee Twitter was around for pre-shutdown UAB football. We’d be ranked #1 every poll they have!

Good post. I'm glad a lot of the normally anti Ingram posters on here seem to be fans of the Dilfer hire. Like I said, I hope it pays off big time. Credit to Ingram for putting it all on the line in an attempt to bring UAB football to the next level.
12-02-2022 04:18 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(12-02-2022 03:38 PM)CajunBlazer Wrote:  

I agree
12-02-2022 05:33 PM
Advertisement

BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
I get that some folks do not like this hire. I know that some folks are skeptical of anything that Mark days or does… I have been quite impressed with him over the past couple of years. I am very excited about this hire.
12-03-2022 09:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KevMo4UAB Online
#FreeUAB

I know anything is possible, but I just believe Dilfer is a winner. His determination and football knowledge will not allow him to lose. Hell, his initials are TD!

Mark Ingram didn’t want to hire him because he was a high school football coach, and yet TD won him over. How many high school football coaches played QB in the NFL for 14 seasons and won a Super Bowl? How many high school football coaches are featured as an analyst on a national NFL broadcast? How many high school coaches have run a camp for elite QBs?

I also believe this idea of not having college coaching experience is overrated in this case. TD has football experience at a level we have never seen before. Furthermore, he has football connections to help him overcome any areas of weakness, and an awareness to acknowledge those weaknesses. TD and his staff will have all the experience they need to be successful.

Everything Dilfer has done in the past and has presented to us so far indicates to me he is a winner on a level not seen in UAB football before now.
12-03-2022 09:49 AM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

Dilfer is the most knowledgeable offensive mind associated with our program since Dieter Brock. I can’t wait to see an offense that is aggressive and innovative. I was so disgusted last night watching UTSA holding our championship for the 2nd straight year. I want to get our mojo back and start going for the throat again. They have become what we were supposed to be.

On Mark, I have always liked him personally. He is a good dude and that comes across in these interviews. He has a hard job. We all know who his bosses are. He has to work within what they allow. We need an AD who can comfortably sit in the middle and work with them between what they will allow and what we want. It sucks that it is that way while it isn’t for some schools, but that isn’t going to change anytime soon and it is going to be on us to change it through support.

There have been many times I wanted to see Mark be a bit more innovative and aggressive but I also understand why he comes at some of those areas conventionally. In this case, I am going to cheer him loudly for being bold and going for it. Things were stale and we badly needed a shakeup. Will it work? I believe it will! If it doesn’t, I still would have rather taken the shot than played it safe again.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2022 11:09 AM by DuelingDragon.)
12-03-2022 11:07 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I have a feeling that this is a sneaky good hire. Having both BV and HCTD around through the bowl might open some player's eyes, offset some of what they've heard and their preconceptions.

What I'd really like to see is UAB getting off to a strong start next season. There are a lot of naysayers out there who need a tall glass of STFU.

I have long had strong reservations about Ingram. There is a long list of good UAB people who have been run off. I'm certain that a generous portion of those were targeted by Watts due to things they said and did regarding the shutdown. I don't think that it is unreasonable to suspect that some of the moves within the athletic department were due to pressure from the President's office.

That said, I have observed the job that ADMI has done in terms of fund raising, the replacement of bad facilities with much better modern ones. Basically only Young Field and Bartow are left in need of that reworking process, and both are on the agenda with ongoing fundraising. He has changed the face of UAB athletics. I can remember when Ohio St. came down for a softball tournament at George Ward Park and imagining what those players had to say about it when they returned home. That nonsense is over.

I truly hope that this is the grand slam hire that makes Ingram an attractive hire to the P5 schools he hopes to move up to. That would be a victory for all of us.
12-03-2022 11:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.