Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SI Ross Dellenger: CFP Rose Bowl decision expected this week.
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
SI Ross Dellenger: CFP Rose Bowl decision expected this week.
Sports Illustrated

The Rose Bowl has lost their minds. Or maybe they were always completely over-rating their power and importance.

The new proposal from the Rose Bowl:

In its latest proposal to the CFP, the Rose Bowl is requesting to host a semifinal in two out of every three years assuming semifinals are held on New Year’s Day.

So the Rose Bowl is asking the CFP to move the semifinals to New Years Day, Rose Bowl would host 2 years out of 3, and they'd STILL have the every-three years problem.

The Rose Bowl is seriously overplaying their hand here. They're making proposals that aren't even close to the balance-of-power-and-money involved. Moving the entire system back a week, for the Rose Bowl 2 years out of 3? Crazy.
11-28-2022 06:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
RE: SI Ross Dellenger: CFP Rose Bowl decision expected this week.
The Rose won't unilaterally block CFP expansion, they would be writing their own death sentence. They can only push as hard and as far as the B1G and Pac will support them b/c then it's not "Rose Bowl vs the World" but rather "2 of the P5 conferences hashing things out with the other 3".
11-28-2022 06:15 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
I read that as 4 Bowls/QF on NYD and then Pasadena hosting a weeknight SF the following week 2/3 years. I think this is a good deal if they are giving up that NYD slot 2/3 years. They need to take this deal. RB is compensated bigly for giving up that NYD window 2/3 years.
11-28-2022 06:22 PM
johnbragg Offline

(11-28-2022 06:15 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  The Rose won't unilaterally block CFP expansion, they would be writing their own death sentence. They can only push as hard and as far as the B1G and Pac will support them b/c then it's not "Rose Bowl vs the World" but rather "2 of the P5 conferences hashing things out with the other 3".

Their proposal (Rose Bowl Semifinal on New Years Day 2 years out of 3) rips up what the presidents--including the Big Ten and PAC-12 presidents-- agreed to in September. That's not going to fly.

A Rose Bowl quarterfinal every year on New YEars' Day, and no Rose Bowl semifinals on mid-January weeknights would have been a win-win solution, but that doesn't seem to have come up.

Possibly I'm over-rating the value-added of the Rose Bowl vs a Sofi Bowl or a Vegas Stadium Bowl or elevating the Houston or Nashville games. (So the Rose Bowl wouldn't be as willing as I am to trade away Pasadena semifinal games in mid-January.) Or possibly the Rose Bowl leadership has mis-read the situation.
11-28-2022 06:40 PM
johnbragg Offline

(11-28-2022 06:22 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  I read that as 4 Bowls/QF on NYD and then Pasadena hosting a weeknight SF the following week 2/3 years. I think this is a good deal if they are giving up that NYD slot 2/3 years. They need to take this deal. RB is compensated bigly for giving up that NYD window 2/3 years.

1. But that's not what it says. It says NYD semifinals, which aren't on the table.

2. That deal is close to the worst of all possible worlds--the Rose Bowl Game gives up the connection to the Parade 2 years out of 3, and the semifinals go to Pasadena, which doesn't really benefit anybody.
11-28-2022 06:46 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(11-28-2022 06:10 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Sports Illustrated

The Rose Bowl has lost their minds. Or maybe they were always completely over-rating their power and importance.

In its latest proposal to the CFP, the Rose Bowl is requesting to host a semifinal in two out of every three years assuming semifinals are held on New Year’s Day.

So the Rose Bowl is asking the CFP to move the semifinals to New Years Day, Rose Bowl would host 2 years out of 3, and they'd STILL have the every-three years problem.

The Rose Bowl is seriously overplaying their hand here. They're making proposals that aren't even close to the balance-of-power-and-money involved. Moving the entire system back a week, for the Rose Bowl 2 years out of 3? Crazy.

1. LOL

2. RIP

3. Good riddance

Wonder what the Rose Bowl cultists think? I've seen of a few pop up on other boards who wholeheartedly believe the folks in Pasadena still hold significant long-term power — even as the Pac-12 teeters on disintegration.

Meanwhile, the B1G has proven it will push aside tradition if a more economically enriching path presents itself.

Tick, tick, tick ...
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 06:54 PM by PeteTheChop.)
11-28-2022 06:53 PM
Advertisement

Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
To recap, Rose wanted to double host every third year AND keep their NYD time slot.

CFP said that with 4 quarters, they NEED that time slot.

Rose, is countering that if the semis are on NYD there’d be no issue keeping their time slot. BUT, they want a healthy dose of playoff appearances.

This should work for scheduling, but not sure the CFP will acquiesce to 2/3. At most 2/4 with Sugar given a similar deal and the other NY6 getting 1/4. CFP won’t want to make 1 bowl favored over the others.

I’m tellin’ ya’ll, NYD semis (with a condensed December schedule) is still in the cards.

I’m guessing the Rose views “permanent quarterfinal” as a lesser position. If the Sugar (or Peach, et al) get a turn as a semifinal they REQUIRE at least an equal turn.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 07:00 PM by Crayton.)
11-28-2022 06:57 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(11-28-2022 06:15 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  The Rose won't unilaterally block CFP expansion, they would be writing their own death sentence. They can only push as hard and as far as the B1G and Pac will support them b/c then it's not "Rose Bowl vs the World" but rather "2 of the P5 conferences hashing things out with the other 3".

What, exactly, does the support of a reeling Pac-1210 amount to these days?

If B1G considers the Rose Bowl a high priority as some seem to think, then did Warren Delany not consider the impact of inviting USC and UCLA (with some or all of Cal, Oregon, Washington and Stanford on deck) on the "Granddaddy of Them All" wrt a gutted Pac-12?

Pretty sure the B1G commissioner and his mentor considered and weighed all the repercussions and yet here we are.

Is actions speak louder than words, then the Rose Bowl doesn't seem like much of a priority to the folks with real power making these decisions.
11-28-2022 07:01 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2022 06:46 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 06:22 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  I read that as 4 Bowls/QF on NYD and then Pasadena hosting a weeknight SF the following week 2/3 years. I think this is a good deal if they are giving up that NYD slot 2/3 years. They need to take this deal. RB is compensated bigly for giving up that NYD window 2/3 years.

1. But that's not what it says. It says NYD semifinals, which aren't on the table.

2. That deal is close to the worst of all possible worlds--the Rose Bowl Game gives up the connection to the Parade 2 years out of 3, and the semifinals go to Pasadena, which doesn't really benefit anybody.

Again... the Dinich report was bewildering as well, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt that the RB was eyeing an additional SF game on top of a NYD QF (or maybe the details were slightly different but something to that effect).

Is it really a RB of it's not played on NYD? I've been telling everyone here to wait until something is signed sealed and delivered. They are STILL having problems scheduling all the rounds.

If the RB is giving up the slot and Jerry World or Tempe gets the 5pm ET slot, they are obviously not going to play a football game after the parade. Otherwise, they seemingly think the CFP can squeeze in multiple rounds on weekends that don't exist on the December calendar in order to host a SF on NYD.

The season has to move back a full week in that case, no exceptions.
11-28-2022 07:03 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

Rose keeps the parade every year. They will be the third NY6 bowl that day. This is why the Rose is pushing the semis to NYD, because the CFP only needs 2 slots.

NYD semis are on the table, if they can get both new rounds into December. Can be done, see my thread.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 07:07 PM by Crayton.)
11-28-2022 07:04 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2022 07:01 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  

If B1G considers the Rose Bowl a high priority as some seem to think, then did Warren Delany not consider the impact of inviting USC and UCLA (with some or all of Cal, Oregon, Washington and Stanford on deck) on the "Granddaddy of Them All" wrt a gutted Pac-12?

Pretty sure the B1G commissioner and his mentor considered and weighed all the repercussions and yet here we are.

Is actions speak louder than words, then the Rose Bowl doesn't seem like much of a priority to the folks with real power making these decisions.

I agree with everything here 1000%, but I can't wait for a particular B1G guy here to interject with his two cents. I don't see how people don't see the writing on the wall...
11-28-2022 07:07 PM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
If the CFP can keep the SF on NYD, they can make the Rose Bowl SF once every 3 years and schedule the SF's around them (before and after) the other years. The only bowl that gets downgraded in this scenario is the Sugar, having to give up the prime time slot on NYD. The others will get Playoff games on NYD rather than December Saturdays. Then the SF's aren't in the middle of January and the championship game isn't further into "spring semester".
11-28-2022 07:13 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2022 07:04 PM)Crayton Wrote:  

Rose keeps the parade every year. They will be the third NY6 bowl that day. This is why the Rose is pushing the semis to NYD, because the CFP only needs 2 slots.

NYD semis are on the table, if they can get both new rounds into December. Can be done, see my thread.

Starting the season before most students return to campus is asinine. There are simply not enough weekends otherwise.

Give the Sugar and RB permanent SFs to appease the B1G and SEC... trade in conference championship games for campus games Round 1. That's the solution, but greed has a way of diluting things.

Is anyone remotely interested in a Purdue UM game this weekend, or a UM vs tOSU rematch? It's redundant...
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 07:17 PM by RUScarlets.)
11-28-2022 07:15 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(11-28-2022 07:07 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  

I agree with everything here 1000%, but I can't wait for a particular B1G guy here to interject with his two cents. I don't see how people don't see the writing on the wall...

The Power Move for the Rose would be to get the SEC on-side. Start taking the SEC and B1G champ every year (or best non-playoff team). If you have both the SEC and B1G in your corner then it's easy to sort out the details. Or set up a rotation with the Sugar, one year you have Rose with #1 B1G and #2 SEC, next year Rose gets #1SEC and #2 B1G, with Sugar getting the #2/#1 teams not taken by Rose each year, then you REALLY have strong pressure from the P2 to smooth everything over. Dump the Pac #1 and big 12 #1 into the Cotton or Fiesta.
11-28-2022 07:16 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2022 07:16 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 07:07 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  

The Power Move for the Rose would be to get the SEC on-side. Start taking the SEC and B1G champ every year (or best non-playoff team). If you have both the SEC and B1G in your corner then it's easy to sort out the details. Or set up a rotation with the Sugar, one year you have Rose with #1 B1G and #2 SEC, next year Rose gets #1SEC and #2 B1G, with Sugar getting the #2/#1 teams not taken by Rose each year, then you REALLY have strong pressure from the P2 to smooth everything over. Dump the Pac #1 and big 12 #1 into the Cotton or Fiesta.

Not happening... the B1G needs to expand further and officially kill these other conferences before those ties can be severed. Warren doesn't want his fingerprints on that homicide.
11-28-2022 07:21 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

(11-28-2022 07:15 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 07:04 PM)Crayton Wrote:  NYD semis are on the table, if they can get both new rounds into December. Can be done, see my thread.

Starting the season before most students return to campus is asinine. There are simply not enough weekends otherwise.

At USF we had two weeks before Week 1. August 22nd seems to have been the most common Fall start date across the country. Not ‘every’ team needs to start Week 0. It is optional, in the thread. You can comfortably account for the logistics of hosting without moving the season up.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 07:29 PM by Crayton.)
11-28-2022 07:28 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-28-2022 06:10 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Sports Illustrated

Seems like having the semis on NYD and quarters between finals and Christmas would be a really bad deal for TV ratings and travel. They'd be working 4 games quarterfinal games around the NFL.
11-28-2022 07:33 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-28-2022 06:57 PM)Crayton Wrote:  To recap, Rose wanted to double host every third year AND keep their NYD time slot.

CFP said that with 4 quarters, they NEED that time slot.

Rose, is countering that if the semis are on NYD there’d be no issue keeping their time slot. BUT, they want a healthy dose of playoff appearances.

This should work for scheduling, but not sure the CFP will acquiesce to 2/3. At most 2/4 with Sugar given a similar deal and the other NY6 getting 1/4. CFP won’t want to make 1 bowl favored over the others.

I’m tellin’ ya’ll, NYD semis (with a condensed December schedule) is still in the cards.

I’m guessing the Rose views “permanent quarterfinal” as a lesser position. If the Sugar (or Peach, et al) get a turn as a semifinal they REQUIRE at least an equal turn.

The article says NYD semis is something considered for the next iteration, not the final 2 years of the current contract. So the Rose is holding things up now for guarantees in the future.
11-28-2022 07:34 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I am surprised there is so much talk of the semi-finals on New Years Day. They just seem to work better all around with the quarterfinals there.

I see the issues there though. The Rose Bowl wants the traditional time slot more than anything. If the playoffs take over the day, they want to be guaranteed to keep their spot 2 out of 3 years. If the semi-finals do go there (displacing the Rose Bowl from a century old spot), it seems reasonable to me.
11-28-2022 07:45 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Rose Bowl is calling the shots. Rose Bowl is calling the committee's bluff and will force their hand to rearranging the proposed schedule so the QF fall on NYD, solving the issue.
11-28-2022 07:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.