Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Top House Democrat Compares Buying Firearms to Buying Slaves
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Top House Democrat Compares Buying Firearms to Buying Slaves
Quote:House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-SC) told CBS News that while it is legal to buy firearms in the United States, that does not mean it makes it right. He said he tells people all the time it is like when it was legal to buy slaves before the practice was abolished.

"Just because it’s legal does not make it the right thing. I tell people all the time, the institution of slavery was legal, but it was not right. Just because they purchased these weapons legally does not mean that’s what the law ought to be. We need to change these laws," Clyburn said.

"Unfortunately, I’m going to be here in my district on Wednesday speaking at the funeral service of one of those young football players from the University of Virginia who died at the hands of the weapon that was, from all indications, legally purchased. That’s not the problem," he continued. "Chesapeake, Virginia, that gun was purchased legally the morning of the event. We have to visit these laws and do what’s necessary to keep these guns out of the hands of people who should not have them."

The shooting that took place at the University of Virginia Clyburn referenced involved a suspect who was convicted of possessing a concealed firearm without a license in 2021 but the sentence was suspended, according to the Washington Post. He told the officer who made the vehicle stop that lead to the discovery he paid $500 for the handgun and bought it for protection.

"We need to sit down in a bipartisan way and say, look, what can we do to protect the public. Nobody wants to take anybody's guns away. Your second amendment is there to protect everybody. But so is the First Amendment, but there's not unfettered..." Clyburn added.

Link
11-28-2022 07:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
RE: Top House Democrat Compares Buying Firearms to Buying Slaves
Another in a LONG list of politicians that are poster children for term limits.
11-28-2022 07:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BartlettTigerFan Online
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
How do people with the IQ of a banana get elected to Washington.
11-28-2022 07:49 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(11-28-2022 07:42 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
Quote:House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-SC) told CBS News that while it is legal to buy firearms in the United States, that does not mean it makes it right. He said he tells people all the time it is like when it was legal to buy slaves before the practice was abolished.

"Just because it’s legal does not make it the right thing. I tell people all the time, the institution of slavery was legal, but it was not right. Just because they purchased these weapons legally does not mean that’s what the law ought to be. We need to change these laws," Clyburn said.

"Unfortunately, I’m going to be here in my district on Wednesday speaking at the funeral service of one of those young football players from the University of Virginia who died at the hands of the weapon that was, from all indications, legally purchased. That’s not the problem," he continued. "Chesapeake, Virginia, that gun was purchased legally the morning of the event. We have to visit these laws and do what’s necessary to keep these guns out of the hands of people who should not have them."

The shooting that took place at the University of Virginia Clyburn referenced involved a suspect who was convicted of possessing a concealed firearm without a license in 2021 but the sentence was suspended, according to the Washington Post. He told the officer who made the vehicle stop that lead to the discovery he paid $500 for the handgun and bought it for protection.

"We need to sit down in a bipartisan way and say, look, what can we do to protect the public. Nobody wants to take anybody's guns away. Your second amendment is there to protect everybody. But so is the First Amendment, but there's not unfettered..." Clyburn added.

Link

That is a blatant lie. It's vital to the success of the authoritarian/totalitarian state they wish to create that the citizens of that state lack the ability to properly defend themselves. They don't want to take your guns so that the amount of gun violence and deaths is reduced. They want to take them so they can run rough-shod over the rest of your rights.
11-29-2022 08:13 AM
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
The only slaves he knows are the ones that vote for him. He lives on top of the hill while they live off the scraps he throws at them.
11-29-2022 09:15 AM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
This is right on schedule. As soon as the Democrats lose their majorities, they start promising things they could never do anyway.
11-29-2022 09:36 AM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
I feel guilt for all the targets and milk cartons that my guns have destroyed.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2022 10:20 AM by Bear Catlett.)
11-29-2022 10:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.