Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football Coaching Carousel (22-23 Edition)
Bookmark and Share
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: William & Mary
As of today, 11/28, these are the vacancies at the FCS & FBS levels. There are bound to be more. Each has a domino effect on HCs & Assistants at our level.

FCS
Arkansas-Pine Bluff (SWAC)
Charleston Southern (Big South)
Houston Christian (Southland)
Idaho State (Big Sky)
Lamar (Southland)
Lehigh (Patriot)
North Alabama (ASUN)
Northern Colorado (Big Sky)
The Citadel (SoCon)
Texas A&M-Commerce (Southland)
Towson (CAA)
VMI (SoCon)
Wofford (SoCon)

FBS
Alabama Birmingham
Arizona
Arizona State
Auburn
Charlotte
Colorado
Georgia Tech
Nebraska - Hired former NFL coach Matt Rhule
South Florida
Wisconsin
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2022 08:25 AM by mrjoolius.)
11-28-2022 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

There is speculation that Coach Prime is in the running for the Colorado & USF jobs. I think he'd be foolish to take either.
Money isn't really an issue for him and he is building a special legacy for himself at Jackson St.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 12:15 PM by mrjoolius.)
11-28-2022 12:14 PM
TribeinVB Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: William & Mary and ODU
RE: Football Coaching Carousel (22-23 Edition)
(11-28-2022 12:14 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  There is speculation that Coach Prime is in the running for the Colorado & USF jobs. I think he'd be foolish to take either.
Money isn't really an issue for him and he is building a special legacy for himself at Jackson St.

But they're not playing for anything. I understand the financial reasons for skipping the playoffs in favor of their televised bowl against another HBCU, but he has his team highly ranked and no way to see if they could win a FCS national championship. I would think that would be frustrating.
11-28-2022 12:26 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(11-28-2022 12:14 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  There is speculation that Coach Prime is in the running for the Colorado & USF jobs. I think he'd be foolish to take either.

I disagree about the legacy aspect. FBS, and especially P5, is where college coaches build and maintain a legacy. No one cares about FCS legacies unless you are Eddie Robinson and coached for, what, more than 50 years. (Laycock coached 38 or 39 years, built a great program here, but few people outside of W&M or CAA know him on a national level anymore). I absolutely think Prime will leap at a P5 job...and he will probably have his choice among several of them.
11-28-2022 12:29 PM
tribeintexas Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
(11-28-2022 12:29 PM)Zorch Wrote:  

I disagree about the legacy aspect. FBS, and especially P5, is where college coaches build and maintain a legacy. No one cares about FCS legacies unless you are Eddie Robinson and coached for, what, more than 50 years. (Laycock coached 38 or 39 years, built a great program here, but few people outside of W&M or CAA know him on a national level anymore). I absolutely think Prime will leap at a P5 job...and he will probably have his choice among several of them.

If the Tribe advance to semi or final, Coach London should get some calls from bigger programs.
11-28-2022 12:38 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-28-2022 12:29 PM)Zorch Wrote:  I disagree about the legacy aspect. FBS, and especially P5, is where college coaches build and maintain a legacy. No one cares about FCS legacies unless you are Eddie Robinson and coached for, what, more than 50 years. (Laycock coached 38 or 39 years, built a great program here, but few people outside of W&M or CAA know him on a national level anymore). I absolutely think Prime will leap at a P5 job...and he will probably have his choice among several of them.

You are missing what Sanders has said publicly about elevating the status of HBCU schools and programs. He has a nice niche since he is able to attract and sell 4* players into playing for him. Jackson St is the biggest ticket in FCS football. It got college GameDay. This Saturdays FCS playoffs are being streamed on ESPN+. Jackson St. and the SWAC championship is on the national ESPN channels. If he is able to build a consistent national power at an HBCU, he will absolutely have a legacy.

I agree Prime may make the leap, but it won't be for just any program. Will his ability to market and recruit be enough to win in the big leagues? The rubber hits the road when your opponents have the same 4 & 5 star guys that you have. Can he coach? It's TBD at this point. Hell of a marketer for his programs though.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 12:56 PM by mrjoolius.)
11-28-2022 12:52 PM
Advertisement

TDenverFan Online
All American

Tulsa fired their coach.

GJ Kinne, UIW's HC, is a Tulsa alum. I think he would be a good hire for Tulsa.
11-28-2022 01:17 PM
Tribal Offline

I don’t think London has any desire to leave. His father isn’t well, W’burg is an amazing place to live, and he has the best job security in college football. There comes a time when chasing the big program and big money is no longer a motivating factor.

I could be very wrong but that’s my hunch. How about let’s offer him a 5 years extension and see if he accepts it.
11-28-2022 02:51 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

(11-28-2022 12:52 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 12:29 PM)Zorch Wrote:  I disagree about the legacy aspect. FBS, and especially P5, is where college coaches build and maintain a legacy. No one cares about FCS legacies unless you are Eddie Robinson and coached for, what, more than 50 years. (Laycock coached 38 or 39 years, built a great program here, but few people outside of W&M or CAA know him on a national level anymore). I absolutely think Prime will leap at a P5 job...and he will probably have his choice among several of them.

You are missing what Sanders has said publicly about elevating the status of HBCU schools and programs. He has a nice niche since he is able to attract and sell 4* players into playing for him. Jackson St is the biggest ticket in FCS football. It got college GameDay. This Saturdays FCS playoffs are being streamed on ESPN+. Jackson St. and the SWAC championship is on the national ESPN channels. If he is able to build a consistent national power at an HBCU, he will absolutely have a legacy.

I agree Prime may make the leap, but it won't be for just any program. Will his ability to market and recruit be enough to win in the big leagues? The rubber hits the road when your opponents have the same 4 & 5 star guys that you have. Can he coach? It's TBD at this point. Hell of a marketer for his programs though.

Nah, I didn’t miss any of those comments. The fact is that unless Jackson St. leaps to FBS status there is nothing else that can be done there to elevate the status of HBCUs. There is the Celebration Bowl...but he’s been there, done that and after a few more he would probably be bored with it. It might be different, legacy-wise, if he won a few FCS national titles...but he’d have to convince the SWAC to let Jackson St. participate in the playoffs instead of the contractually bound Celebration Bowl. There is no way that Jackson St. becomes a “consistent national power” without beating the currently recognized big boys on the field in the playoffs. Lastly, IIRC, Prime himself went to Florida State so I don’t know how deep his allegiance goes with Jackson St..
11-28-2022 02:57 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-28-2022 02:51 PM)Tribal Wrote:  I could be very wrong but that’s my hunch. How about let’s offer him a 5 years extension and see if he accepts it.

I think that is the bottom line. Get him extended. If a higher level program wants to get him, they don't care about current contracts anyway.

Did I read correctly that London missing on coach of the year cost him bonus money, but making the playoffs tacked on an extra year to his current contract?
11-28-2022 02:58 PM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
(11-28-2022 02:58 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 02:51 PM)Tribal Wrote:  I could be very wrong but that’s my hunch. How about let’s offer him a 5 years extension and see if he accepts it.

I think that is the bottom line. Get him extended. If a higher level program wants to get him, they don't care about current contracts anyway.

Did I read correctly that London missing on coach of the year cost him bonus money, but making the playoffs tacked on an extra year to his current contract?

This is true. London has another year tacked onto his contract, so his contract now ends January 31, 2025.

Also, if you’re wondering, London has earned at least $27,500 in bonus money this season for hitting certain incentives, and one of those incentives was beating Richmond, haha.
11-28-2022 03:11 PM
Advertisement

W+M4TW Offline
2nd String

I Root For: William and Mary
He's eligible for some 50k in bonuses per RTD: https://richmond.com/sports/college/will...2b625.html

Throw in the fact that if he makes it to January 1, 2024 without being fired for cause (lol) he gets another 150k.

So base of >400k, a 150 bonus waiting next year and living in the best place in VA, I don't see him leaving. He also tried FBS, I like the heck out of the guy, but it didn't go great.

Stay and be our legend. I've grow in appreciation of London every year, I hope he stays until he's ready to hand it off.
11-28-2022 03:12 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

(11-28-2022 03:12 PM)W+M4TW Wrote:  Stay and be our legend. I've grow in appreciation of London every year, I hope he stays until he's ready to hand it off.

Let’s not go overboard yet. At W&M, he has made the playoffs once and, of course, hasn’t played yet so hasn’t won yet. Laycock is a legend; London has a ways to go yet. I’ll be happy to accord him legend status when he has earned it. A natty this year would be a great start.
11-28-2022 03:34 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Auburn hiring Liberty coach Hugh Freeze. I don't think he goes there, but I'd have to think Liberty would check in on London.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 03:57 PM by mrjoolius.)
11-28-2022 03:57 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(11-28-2022 02:57 PM)Zorch Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 12:52 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  

Nah, I didn’t miss any of those comments. The fact is that unless Jackson St. leaps to FBS status there is nothing else that can be done there to elevate the status of HBCUs. There is the Celebration Bowl...but he’s been there, done that and after a few more he would probably be bored with it. It might be different, legacy-wise, if he won a few FCS national titles...but he’d have to convince the SWAC to let Jackson St. participate in the playoffs instead of the contractually bound Celebration Bowl. There is no way that Jackson St. becomes a “consistent national power” without beating the currently recognized big boys on the field in the playoffs. Lastly, IIRC, Prime himself went to Florida State so I don’t know how deep his allegiance goes with Jackson St..

Sanders in his own words on 60 minutes on the potential to leave Jackson State (11:02 mark of video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz1YfvAw5Ow
11-28-2022 04:04 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

Wisconsin hires Luke Fickell (Cincinnatti)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...kell-coach
11-28-2022 04:09 PM
Advertisement

TDenverFan Online
All American

(11-28-2022 03:11 PM)TribePride52 Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 02:58 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  

This is true. London has another year tacked onto his contract, so his contract now ends January 31, 2025.

Also, if you’re wondering, London has earned at least $27,500 in bonus money this season for hitting certain incentives, and one of those incentives was beating Richmond, haha.

Didn't London make like $15 million over his time at UVA? I'm sure as a competitor and as a coach he loves hitting those incentives, but how much does the money really matter to him at this point
11-28-2022 04:27 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-28-2022 01:17 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  Tulsa fired their coach.

GJ Kinne, UIW's HC, is a Tulsa alum. I think he would be a good hire for Tulsa.
If this happens, I'd think our old friend Brennan Marion could be in play on his staff. Tulsa alum and from the same Malzahn tree. Though I'd think that Marion missing out on multiple staffs from that Tulsa tree (Malzahn and Norvell) makes me think he's not as desirable a coordinator at the FBS level as one might think.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2022 07:00 AM by mrjoolius.)
11-29-2022 06:05 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Marion to South Carolina is being rumored
11-29-2022 10:53 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(11-28-2022 03:57 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Auburn hiring Liberty coach Hugh Freeze. I don't think he goes there, but I'd have to think Liberty would check in on London.

Auburn just alienated a lot of alums for a retread instead of Cadillac Williams.
11-29-2022 11:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.