Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

QB Position in 2023
Bookmark and Share
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
QB Position in 2023
Is your starting QB returning next season?

If not returning, do you feel good about a QB currently on the roster or do you need a portal addition?

Southern Miss will have 3 or 4 QBs returning (depending on if Trey Lowe comes back or not) that took snaps at QB this season.

Redshirt Freshman Ty Keyes began the season as QB1, but sustained a concussion just before halftime in the first game. He returned and played some in game #3 and looked really good although it was against an FCS team. Then in game #4, he broke his wrist on the first snap that he took in the game at Tulane and missed the rest of the season.

True Freshman Zack Wilcke started games 2 - 9 and was erratic and inconsistent, although he did have some bright moments (win over Tulane and game winning drive at Texas State). Wilcke was a turnover machine and did not see the field the remainder of the regular season after the 1st half of game #9 vs GA State.

Trey Lowe finished that game as the QB and started the final 3 games. Trey was a steadying force at QB. He has his limitations, but also has a rocket for an arm. He struggles putting touch on his passes, but turnovers were greatly reduced once he got behind center. Trey already has his masters degree and is working on his doctorate. It is uncertain if he will choose to come back and play his final year of eligibility.

Sophomore Jake Lange played in a few games and led the comeback victory vs Ark State, but will not be in contention for the starting role next season.

So, Keyes and Wilcke will definitely be back (unless they choose to hit the portal), but most Southern Miss fans expect Will Hall to look for a portal QB. He looked to the portal last season, but set his sights a bit too high.

Most Southern Miss fans think the Golden Eagles would have won a few more games with better QB play this season (was any team in the Sun Belt worse at QB than USM?) and that it is a must to improve this position through either development or addition(or both) for the 2023 season.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 11:33 AM by Eagleholic.)
11-28-2022 11:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
RE: QB Position in 2023
Troy's current starter Gunnar Watson is coming back... but that's not saying a whole lot.

I believe the 4-star freshman transfer Peter Costelli is the future, and will be vying for the starting spot next season (unless he transfers). He's got too much talent and speed to not be in the mix.
11-28-2022 11:37 AM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
Fancher has made strides. He will be back. We have a stable of what will be RS Fr behind him, with rumor that Pennington's kid, Cole, will be #2.

If Fancher improves over the next year commiserate with what he's done over the last 4 games, he will be one of the greats to play here and a legit dual threat. We will have Ali back and could have Laborn back. Will be a nightmare for defenses, instead of a smoke break.
11-28-2022 11:39 AM
jmu007 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
- Is JMU's starter returning.
No.

- Do I feel good about the QBs on the roster. (r-So Billy Atkins, r-Fr Alanza Barnett)
Not really. The immediate backup (Atkins) likely won't be on the roster in 2023. The next QB left will be a r-Fr with only a handful of snaps under his belt. JMU has already hit the portal and is expecting to add to the roster at the QB position. See below. I fully expect McCloud to come in and win the job. Should Alanza Barnett win the job, good on him and we'll have a stud on our hand for 4 years. Hopefully with him have 2 years of eligibility left, JMU will be able to recruit a few more bodies to come in and complete by 2025 as well.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 11:41 AM by jmu007.)
11-28-2022 11:39 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Hatcher is back but better not be playing. We have NCST and Baylor transfers that need to see the field.
11-28-2022 12:12 PM
stingingeagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga Southern
Ours is gone. I assume it's transfer portal or bust. Haven't seen any indication that we a guy lined up.
11-28-2022 12:15 PM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(11-28-2022 11:37 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Troy's current starter Gunnar Watson is coming back... but that's not saying a whole lot.

I believe the 4-star freshman transfer Peter Costelli is the future, and will be vying for the starting spot next season (unless he transfers). He's got too much talent and speed to not be in the mix.

Grateful for where Gunnar and Doege have gotten us. Really need a baller at that position though, and I'd like to see Costelli or Kilcrease be the guy, or get a quality, experienced transfer that has at least two years to play. No one and dones for the starting position.

Grab a couple of receivers and offensive lineman out of the portal, and I think we're set.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 12:19 PM by TroyFootball05.)
11-28-2022 12:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
Carter Bradley will return for USA, along with nearly every other key starter (assuming we avoid portal havoc).
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 12:29 PM by USAJag2011.)
11-28-2022 12:28 PM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM
Chandler Rogers (not Caleb Evans) will be back. Okay, Okay....it is time for me to go into assisted living.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 01:08 PM by InjunJohn86.)
11-28-2022 12:35 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
Good news for Troy is.... barring something happening in the transfer portal... we only lose 3 starters on offense, and 4 starters on defense.

The defense loses LB Carlton Martial, but most of the other big-time key players are back.
11-28-2022 12:40 PM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Our QB will likely be back but he was possibly the worst starting QB in the SunBelt so Im not sure what that says.

Mack will be gone.

Clark, in theory, could be back. He's a former ND QB that tore up his knee and hasn't been the same since.

The others are freshman/redshirt freshman.

I hope we hit the portal.
11-28-2022 12:48 PM
Advertisement

Eagleholic Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(11-28-2022 12:35 PM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  Caleb Evans will be back.

Chandler Rogers maybe?
11-28-2022 12:55 PM
KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

(11-28-2022 12:15 PM)stingingeagle Wrote:  Ours is gone. I assume it's transfer portal or bust. Haven't seen any indication that we a guy lined up.

What Stinging said.......

We have a ton of people in the QB room, but we know nothing about them. Cigelski came in the couple times that KVT got banged up for a few plays, so that doesn't say much about the two transfers and the FR behind him. From what we saw of Cigelski last year, he's not the answer. Dallas was in street clothes rehabbing all year so he might be good but who knows.

I'm hoping that with KVT breaking passing records (not hard to do at GS because of the triple option) and being 3rd in the country in passing yards this season, that we will have a good transfer look our way. We'll have to wait and see though.
11-28-2022 01:02 PM
Was SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mustard Buzzard
(11-28-2022 11:32 AM)Eagleholic Wrote:  Is your starting QB returning next season?

If not returning, do you feel good about a QB currently on the roster or do you need a portal addition?

Southern Miss will have 3 or 4 QBs returning (depending on if Trey Lowe comes back or not) that took snaps at QB this season.

Redshirt Freshman Ty Keyes began the season as QB1, but sustained a concussion just before halftime in the first game. He returned and played some in game #3 and looked really good although it was against an FCS team. Then in game #4, he broke his wrist on the first snap that he took in the game at Tulane and missed the rest of the season.

True Freshman Zack Wilcke started games 2 - 9 and was erratic and inconsistent, although he did have some bright moments (win over Tulane and game winning drive at Texas State). Wilcke was a turnover machine and did not see the field the remainder of the regular season after the 1st half of game #9 vs GA State.

Trey Lowe finished that game as the QB and started the final 3 games. Trey was a steadying force at QB. He has his limitations, but also has a rocket for an arm. He struggles putting touch on his passes, but turnovers were greatly reduced once he got behind center. Trey already has his masters degree and is working on his doctorate. It is uncertain if he will choose to come back and play his final year of eligibility.

Sophomore Jake Lange played in a few games and led the comeback victory vs Ark State, but will not be in contention for the starting role next season.

So, Keyes and Wilcke will definitely be back (unless they choose to hit the portal), but most Southern Miss fans expect Will Hall to look for a portal QB. He looked to the portal last season, but set his sights a bit too high.

Most Southern Miss fans think the Golden Eagles would have won a few more games with better QB play this season (was any team in the Sun Belt worse at QB than USM?) and that it is a must to improve this position through either development or addition(or both) for the 2023 season.

Even with the QB problems we would have won 2 and maybe 3 more games this year ‘IF’ we could score TDs with 1st and goal.

But on to QB… no doubt we will be better with experience and practice. Wilke was a 4th string true freshman with hardly no work when thrown to the wolves. Hopefully a bowl will get us some more practice time.
11-28-2022 01:05 PM
Panthers347 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GSU
QB Position in 2023
Darren Grainger will be back.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
11-28-2022 01:06 PM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM
(11-28-2022 12:55 PM)Eagleholic Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 12:35 PM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  Caleb Evans will be back.

Chandler Rogers maybe?
03-lmfao yep. Freudian slip. I was thinking about Rogers and Kubic and some of the similarities. Damn, I am getting so old!!!
11-28-2022 01:07 PM
Advertisement

WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
Yep, we are pretty well set at QB for a while. Chandler (aka Caleb apparently LOL) is pretty secure but at least for now we also have Jiya Wright and we have the kid out of Florida supposed to sign. Everything else needs help.
11-28-2022 02:04 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Oh thank God. Best news of the day. We have lost three great players today which sucks so this makes up for it.

11-28-2022 03:22 PM
KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

(11-28-2022 03:22 PM)slycat Wrote:  Oh thank God. Best news of the day. We have lost three great players today which sucks so this makes up for it.

Is he trying to make his way around the SBC West and play for everyone?
11-28-2022 03:24 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I wouldn't be surprised if Gunnar Watson transferred but also wouldn't be surprised if he came back. Might depend on if Costelli shows sings of being able to take the starting job from GW.
11-28-2022 03:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.