TXST Head Coach Search
11-28-2022 10:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The WEST is the BEST Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: TXST Head Coach Search
(11-28-2022 10:33 AM)slycat Wrote:  https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-sta...ing-search

Add the TAMU OC (Dickey) to the list as he was relieved this morning.
11-28-2022 02:07 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(11-28-2022 10:33 AM)slycat Wrote:  https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-sta...ing-search

Not particularly enamored with that list. What's your thoughts?
11-28-2022 02:13 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(11-28-2022 02:13 PM)CatMom Wrote:  

Not particularly enamored with that list. What's your thoughts?

Not an overly exciting list but maybe that is what is needed. Really need to not take a risk and go for something more proven. Keeler wins where he goes. So does Carthel. Keeler has a 10-1 record against Carthel, Morris, Kinne, and the Texas A&M-Commerce guy whose name gets thrown around.
11-28-2022 02:34 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

Per the editor of the University newspaper. Seems fast.

11-28-2022 05:04 PM
GreenDaddy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall
I think you go with Keeler here. He is old, but has enough left in him to set your program on solid ground, and make it more attractive for the next hire.
11-28-2022 05:38 PM
Advertisement

Was SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mustard Buzzard
(11-28-2022 05:38 PM)GreenDaddy Wrote:  I think you go with Keeler here. He is old, but has enough left in him to set your program on solid ground, and make it more attractive for the next hire.

Do this never! We learned the hard way. Only way to go for our programs is to find the guy that’s hungry and desperately wants the next job.
11-28-2022 05:45 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

(11-28-2022 05:45 PM)Was SoMs Eagle Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 05:38 PM)GreenDaddy Wrote:  I think you go with Keeler here. He is old, but has enough left in him to set your program on solid ground, and make it more attractive for the next hire.

Do this never! We learned the hard way. Only way to go for our programs is to find the guy that’s hungry and desperately wants the next job.

We thought Spav was that guy
11-28-2022 05:47 PM
Was SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mustard Buzzard
(11-28-2022 05:47 PM)slycat Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 05:45 PM)Was SoMs Eagle Wrote:  

We thought Spav was that guy

We are not going to strike gold every time but the guy that says “I want this to be my last job” is not the guy you want.
11-28-2022 05:49 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

Speaking of Keeler....

11-28-2022 05:55 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
I knew San Marcos was close to UT but 30 miles?? Could this be one of the problems? I know being closed to P5's has been brought up as problems EKU and EMU. It doesn't get any bigger than the Longhorns.
11-28-2022 09:15 PM
Advertisement

chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(11-28-2022 09:15 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  I knew San Marcos was close to UT but 30 miles?? Could this be one of the problems? I know being closed to P5's has been brought up as problems EKU and EMU. It doesn't get any bigger than the Longhorns.

Yes, the answer is yes. UT will always been the 800 lb gorilla in the room. Gameday goes to Austin, the sexy "made for TV" games in Austin, and the media flocks to Austin to tell us how it amazing it is.

Our local media comes from Austin. Radio, TV, and print promote the horns over the Cats. Because of this (and the fact that they are the richest program in the nation), Townies look at UT (not TXST) as their home team.

TXST is that big tax "hole" in the middle of downtown that crowds our city with drunken delinquents and drives up property values.

However-

Texas State has 40k students.

San Marcos population is 70k.

Hays County (home to TXST), and neighboring Comal and Guadalupe Counties have a combined 600k people.

Austin MSA is 2.3M

San Antonio MSA is 2.5M

The stadium holds 30,000. You don't need 101,000 like UT Austin. You need a quarter of that. If you win and make it entertaining, people will come.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2022 09:50 PM by chrisattsu.)
11-28-2022 09:49 PM
bcp_jmu Online
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
If you are not familiar with KCK...oof "I've got a PhD in playoffs" ..
11-28-2022 10:07 PM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
Don't go with Scotty Walden. He was really immature and hyper when he coached us. I was glad they didn't stick with him. He has a super corny personality like P.J. Fleck.
11-28-2022 11:59 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(11-28-2022 09:49 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 09:15 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  I knew San Marcos was close to UT but 30 miles?? Could this be one of the problems? I know being closed to P5's has been brought up as problems EKU and EMU. It doesn't get any bigger than the Longhorns.

Yes, the answer is yes. UT will always been the 800 lb gorilla in the room. Gameday goes to Austin, the sexy "made for TV" games in Austin, and the media flocks to Austin to tell us how it amazing it is.

Our local media comes from Austin. Radio, TV, and print promote the horns over the Cats. Because of this (and the fact that they are the richest program in the nation), Townies look at UT (not TXST) as their home team.

TXST is that big tax "hole" in the middle of downtown that crowds our city with drunken delinquents and drives up property values.

However-

Texas State has 40k students.

San Marcos population is 70k.

Hays County (home to TXST), and neighboring Comal and Guadalupe Counties have a combined 600k people.

Austin MSA is 2.3M

San Antonio MSA is 2.5M

The stadium holds 30,000. You don't need 101,000 like UT Austin. You need a quarter of that. If you win and make it entertaining, people will come.

CHRIS!!! Where have you been son?
11-29-2022 12:10 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(11-28-2022 10:07 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  If you are not familiar with KCK...oof "I've got a PhD in playoffs" ..

Many JMU fans thought Keeler was a whiney, pretentious prick. I say that with all due respect to the man. Delaware fans now wish he had never left the blue chickens. Keeler definitely knows what he’s doing as a HC. He’s a little long in the tooth now (63?) for a sustained rebuild, but he’s won at every level he’s coached, and at each school he’s led. San Marcus (and Central Texas) beats the heck out of the Soft Houston location.

Other advantages would be the bigger salary TXST can offer a HC, and the RobertCats already have a gorgeous stadium and related football facilities in place (compared to the small, craptastic High School setup and unbuilt, delusional dreams of grandeur Soft Houston plays on). Furthermore, TXST (dare I say it?) is a real university, compared to SHSU.

Keeler can recruit, and getting situated in a place where he can really sell his school to future players will pay quick dividends. It will also be a big advantage to be recruiting to, and playing in the SBC (as opposed to CUSA).

Keeler would be a solid hire (and the rest of us would enjoy cursing at his vanity and stylish shades).
11-29-2022 01:12 AM
Advertisement

Bobcats2011 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TXST / SMU / All of TX
(11-29-2022 01:12 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(11-28-2022 10:07 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  If you are not familiar with KCK...oof "I've got a PhD in playoffs" ..

Many JMU fans thought Keeler was a whiney, pretentious prick. I say that with all due respect to the man. Delaware fans now wish he had never left the blue chickens. Keeler definitely knows what he’s doing as a HC. He’s a little long in the tooth now (63?) for a sustained rebuild, but he’s won at every level he’s coached, and at each school he’s led. San Marcus (and Central Texas) beats the heck out of the Soft Houston location.

Other advantages would be the bigger salary TXST can offer a HC, and the RobertCats already have a gorgeous stadium and related football facilities in place (compared to the small, craptastic High School setup and unbuilt, delusional dreams of grandeur Soft Houston plays on). Furthermore, TXST (dare I say it?) is a real university, compared to SHSU.

Keeler can recruit, and getting situated in a place where he can really sell his school to future players will pay quick dividends. It will also be a big advantage to be recruiting to, and playing in the SBC (as opposed to CUSA).

Keeler would be a solid hire (and the rest of us would enjoy cursing at his vanity and stylish shades).

I definitely enjoy shitting on SAM as well but in my eyes this is comical because it’s a university named after a president talking smack about an another university named after a president lol. I have no doubt in my fine whose academics are better for the record, was just pointing out some Texas humor.
11-29-2022 03:00 AM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(11-29-2022 03:00 AM)Bobcats2011 Wrote:  I definitely enjoy shitting on SAM as well but in my eyes this is comical because it’s a university named after a president talking smack about an another university named after a president lol. I have no doubt in my fine whose academics are better for the record, was just pointing out some Texas humor.

Only the president of Texas. That barely counts. 05-stirthepot

TXST is getting KC Keeler.
11-29-2022 10:18 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

They both owned slaves so they have that in common
11-29-2022 11:04 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(11-29-2022 03:00 AM)Bobcats2011 Wrote:  
(11-29-2022 01:12 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

I definitely enjoy shitting on SAM as well but in my eyes this is comical because it’s a university named after a president talking smack about an another university named after a president lol. I have no doubt in my fine whose academics are better for the record, was just pointing out some Texas humor.

One namesake President was responsible for helping craft our Constitution. The other…? Was Sam Houston even literate? 05-stirthepot
11-29-2022 11:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.