11-27-2022 11:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: Wisconsin is targeting Cincinnati Bearcats Coach Luke Fickell
(11-27-2022 11:20 AM)Maize Wrote:  

...the thing about this is who will Cincy go after if he leaves? The ol' "domino effect"...
11-27-2022 11:23 AM
SouthEastAlaska Offline
1st String

I Root For: UW
(11-27-2022 11:20 AM)Maize Wrote:  

I'm not sure if coach Fickell is interested but it would be a hell of a hire if the Badgers could pull it off.
11-27-2022 11:24 AM
djsuperfly Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
Or he could just wait because, despite going 45-5 at OSU, Ryan Day will enter next year on the hot seat.
11-27-2022 11:27 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Shoot. This is definitely the biggest threat Cincinnati has faced so far. When Michigan St offered, that was still a program who had to play Michigan, Ohio St, & Penn St every year. Wisconsin will only be playing each of those teams in 50% of years, which makes it easier for Fickell.
11-27-2022 11:29 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(11-27-2022 11:29 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Shoot. This is definitely the biggest threat Cincinnati has faced so far. When Michigan St offered, that was still a program who had to play Michigan, Ohio St, & Penn St every year. Wisconsin will only be playing each of those teams in 50% of years, which makes it easier for Fickell.

It may come down to who he has coming back next year. If he sees next year as a 9 win or less season, he might want to leave this year even though it's not ND or tOSU.
11-27-2022 11:36 AM
Advertisement

otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
Cincy is now a P5 program next year, plus the Big 12 is a much easier path to the playoffs compared to B1G. He stays......
11-27-2022 11:38 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(11-27-2022 11:36 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(11-27-2022 11:29 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Shoot. This is definitely the biggest threat Cincinnati has faced so far. When Michigan St offered, that was still a program who had to play Michigan, Ohio St, & Penn St every year. Wisconsin will only be playing each of those teams in 50% of years, which makes it easier for Fickell.

It may come down to who he has coming back next year. If he sees next year as a 9 win or less season, he might want to leave this year even though it's not ND or tOSU.

No … it going to come down to who is willing to give Fickell that bag … Mark Stoops at Kentucky and Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss are now $9 Million Men Annually … Fickell is worth more than that and that is the floor to get him … my hunch is Wisconsin is willing to go over $9 Million Annually
11-27-2022 11:40 AM
djsuperfly Offline
Special Teams

(11-27-2022 11:40 AM)Maize Wrote:  

No … it going to come down to who is willing to give Fickell that bag … Mark Stoops at Kentucky and Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss are now $9 Million Men Annually … Fickell is worth more than that and that is the floor to get him … my hunch is Wisconsin is willing to go over $9 Million Annually

Meh. I mean, it's not like Fickell's agent hasn't been called on nearly every single P5 opening over the past couple/few years. And yet, Fickell still roams the sidelines at UC. Not saying he's never leaving, but money doesn't appear to be the ultimate determination.
11-27-2022 11:45 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
IMO it's a good time for Fickell to move and cash in with B1G money. He's probably crested at Cincy. It will only get a lot tougher to win in the nB12.
11-27-2022 11:47 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

(11-27-2022 11:45 AM)djsuperfly Wrote:  

Meh. I mean, it's not like Fickell's agent hasn't been called on nearly every single P5 opening over the past couple/few years. And yet, Fickell still roams the sidelines at UC. Not saying he's never leaving, but money doesn't appear to be the ultimate determination.

At the end of the day …. Money always matters … 07-coffee3
11-27-2022 11:48 AM
Advertisement

WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH

Taking the Wisconsin job lowers his chances of getting the tOSU gig. I think he passes.
11-27-2022 11:48 AM
Glenn360 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The ones I bet on
(11-27-2022 11:27 AM)djsuperfly Wrote:  Or he could just wait because, despite going 45-5 at OSU, Ryan Day will enter next year on the hot seat.

That's just fans/media nonsense no one is firing a coach that wins 90% of their games
Its disappointing to lose to your rivals but The wheels would have to completely fall off
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2022 11:53 AM by Glenn360.)
11-27-2022 11:50 AM
djsuperfly Offline
Special Teams

(11-27-2022 11:48 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(11-27-2022 11:45 AM)djsuperfly Wrote:  

At the end of the day …. Money always matters … 07-coffee3

Like I say: If it was "just" about the money, there are scores of high-paying P5 jobs he could have already taken.
11-27-2022 11:50 AM
djsuperfly Offline
Special Teams

(11-27-2022 11:50 AM)Glenn360 Wrote:  
(11-27-2022 11:27 AM)djsuperfly Wrote:  Or he could just wait because, despite going 45-5 at OSU, Ryan Day will enter next year on the hot seat.

That's just fans/media nonsense no is firing a coach that goes 11-1 yearly

You really believe that Day could go 110-10 over the next 10 years while going 0-10 vs. Michigan with no national championships, and they wouldn't fire him in Columbus?
11-27-2022 11:52 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

Things are heating up in Madison, Wisconsin … looks like Fickell is gone to Wisconsin

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2022 11:59 AM by Maize.)
11-27-2022 11:58 AM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech

Maybe they've changed but for all the Big Ten money and 80,000 seat stadium sell outs they've always been cheap with their coaches. That's why a successful Bielema was hired away by Arkansas. There were other issues but it doesn't happen if the money wasn't there.
11-27-2022 12:00 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

(11-27-2022 12:00 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

Maybe they've changed but for all the Big Ten money and 80,000 seat stadium sell outs they've always been cheap with their coaches. That's why a successful Bielema was hired away by Arkansas. There were other issues but it doesn't happen if the money wasn't there.

Fickell is ssssoooo gone …. Good hire by the Wisconsin Badgers

11-27-2022 12:06 PM
Glenn360 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The ones I bet on
(11-27-2022 11:38 AM)otown Wrote:  Cincy is now a P5 program next year, plus the Big 12 is a much easier path to the playoffs compared to B1G. He stays......

Coaches have egos and think they can win at tougher places

Wisconsin may pay staff and assistants way more money than Cincy is willing to pay.
11-27-2022 12:08 PM
Just Joe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama

I don’t know about the hot seat. I think Day is more the type to get out of town before the mob forms, either looking at NFL jobs this year or next.
11-27-2022 12:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.