Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Silverfield isn’t a bad coach
Bookmark and Share
MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

I Root For: Memphis
Silverfield isn’t a bad coach
I don’t think Silverfield is a “bad” coach and certainly isn’t terrible. He’s just too by the book. He’s overly vanilla and really unlucky. Outside of a handful of decisions, he’s done what probably 75% of coaches in the country would do. But that’s striving for average. And the average coach doesn’t last but a few years in college.

He talks up analytics— and I’m as big of a stats guy as anyone. But if it were as easy as consulting a stat chart, anyone could coach. You combine vanilla decision making, a few WTF wild hair plays, and some incredibly bad luck and here we are

If he were an obviously terrible coach— like Porter, our decision would be easier. Instead we are left in a weird purgatory- a death by 1,000 cuts situation.

He’s got the stink of loser on him. I’m not sure if you can get that off. Some coaches like Les Miles and Ed Orgeron made dumb decisions but got lucky. Other coaches make conventional decisions and end up unlucky. We had Houston, ECU, and tonight. The ball didn’t bounce our way— and like it or not, that’s the thin margin that decides a coach’s future these days

So while he’s not a bad or terrible coach (some fans are arguing this and I think it’s hyperbole), I do think you have to look at replacing him.
11-26-2022 08:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: Silverfield isn’t a bad coach
He’s not the right coach for this program.
11-26-2022 08:41 PM
MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

(11-26-2022 08:41 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  He’s not the right coach for this program.

I’d agree with that.
11-26-2022 08:44 PM
MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

It’s possible the analytics work next year. We have SMU and Tulane at home and an easier conference schedule. Maybe the ball bounces our way and favorable matchups play out like they should.

One of the big things that had stood out to me about Silverfield is that his decision making seems completely agnostic to momentum. Analytics has a blind spot for momentum.

There was a lot of parity in the conference this year. You can’t rely on stats when they’re basically showing you a coin flip.

Momentum swings, fairly even matchups, and a young team can throw statistical models on their head.
11-26-2022 08:51 PM
MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

It would be infinitely less depressing if we had an AD or a president that inspired confidence. Instead, they are introverts that seem just as vanilla as the football coach. It’s fine to be an introvert— and I’m not arguing that all 3 might not be perfectly competent at their jobs— but this prez-AD-RS combo right now isn’t inspiring confidence
11-26-2022 09:01 PM
Seabee TIger Fan Offline
No Ma'am

I Root For: Merica
He’s not a good one either. He’s mediocre. Mediocrity breeds apathy and a loss of support.
11-26-2022 09:08 PM
Advertisement

UMTiger117 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The TIGERS!
Not suited for Memphis
11-26-2022 09:09 PM
MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

(11-26-2022 09:08 PM)Seabee TIger Fan Wrote:  He’s not a good one either. He’s mediocre. Mediocrity breeds apathy and a loss of support.

He could be. He could be stellar behind the scenes— I dunno. I won’t pretend to know the ins and outs of what goes on behind the scenes. He could be great at the finance end of things. What I do know is this particular alignment of personalities is uninspiring and a bit unnerving— especially coming from the Rudd-Bown-Norvel combo. No verve or personality
11-26-2022 09:12 PM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
Foxes are in the hen house. From the coach to the AD to the President. And they are destroying all momentum that their predecessors built for our football program. You couldn’t purposely try to destroy a football program and do a better job than they are doing.
11-27-2022 09:12 AM
EvilLore Offline
Caligula of the Toy Department

I Root For: Tiger blood
Caulkins dropped a sobering article this morning.

Summary -

* Silverfield is our coach, maybe for the long term. We don’t have the money to make the necessary changes.

* The BIG donors aren’t interested in keeping football relevant. If Tiger fans want to see the program stay alive, you’d better start donating to NIL.

* Internally, our administration thinks the P5 ship has sailed… maybe permanently. Thus, donors have little chance to see a return investing in the football program.

Nothing we haven’t heard before, but still quite disheartening to see in print.
11-27-2022 09:38 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(11-27-2022 09:38 AM)EvilLore Wrote:  Caulkins dropped a sobering article this morning.

Summary -

* Silverfield is our coach, maybe for the long term. We don’t have the money to make the necessary changes.

* The BIG donors aren’t interested in keeping football relevant. If Tiger fans want to see the program stay alive, you’d better start donating to NIL.

* Internally, our administration thinks the P5 ship has sailed… maybe permanently. Thus, donors have little chance to see a return investing in the football program.

I keep hearing all the NIL talk especially about SMU being way ahead of us. I know for sure they aren’t ahead of us in fan support. That stadium yesterday was ridiculous. Empty on 3 sides and the “home”‘side was maybe half full. Also are Tulane and ECU ahead of us as well? And if they are not what’s the point since the administration knows we will never get into a P5? We really need to take a hard look and wonder if we are sending good money after bad
11-27-2022 09:43 AM
Advertisement

Alanda Offline
All American

(11-26-2022 08:40 PM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  I don’t think Silverfield is a “bad” coach and certainly isn’t terrible. He’s just too by the book. He’s overly vanilla and really unlucky. Outside of a handful of decisions, he’s done what probably 75% of coaches in the country would do. But that’s striving for average. And the average coach doesn’t last but a few years in college.

He talks up analytics— and I’m as big of a stats guy as anyone. But if it were as easy as consulting a stat chart, anyone could coach. You combine vanilla decision making, a few WTF wild hair plays, and some incredibly bad luck and here we are

If he were an obviously terrible coach— like Porter, our decision would be easier. Instead we are left in a weird purgatory- a death by 1,000 cuts situation.

He’s got the stink of loser on him. I’m not sure if you can get that off. Some coaches like Les Miles and Ed Orgeron made dumb decisions but got lucky. Other coaches make conventional decisions and end up unlucky. We had Houston, ECU, and tonight. The ball didn’t bounce our way— and like it or not, that’s the thin margin that decides a coach’s future these days

So while he’s not a bad or terrible coach (some fans are arguing this and I think it’s hyperbole), I do think you have to look at replacing him.

The vanilla decisions help create that unluckiness.
11-27-2022 02:29 PM
bluecrew Offline
1st String

I Root For: A stable conference
(11-27-2022 09:38 AM)EvilLore Wrote:  Caulkins dropped a sobering article this morning.

Summary -

It’s just now setting in for some people.

It’s sad. It’s extremely unfair. But it’s definitely over.
11-27-2022 02:33 PM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(11-27-2022 02:33 PM)bluecrew Wrote:  

Summary -

Life wasn’t suppose to be fair
11-27-2022 02:57 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

Summary -

It's unfortunate. I mentioned before that the effort to build the football program has only been there for ten years. Some of the biggest programs have built their brands for over 100 years. This is why I hope the effort would continue because it needs more time. And as long as Kevin Warren is looming over the PAC and ACC, an opportunity to move up isn't gone.
11-27-2022 03:09 PM
steves Offline
All American

I Root For: DA'TIGS'
P5 may have sailed but this don't mean doodoo !!! This is our cities football team. PERIOD !!! You want to sit around while it turns to ... doodoo ... Then go F yourself and watch th SEC on your Big Screen TVs. Buy your SEC merchandise, put SEC stickers on your car. And don't come over here on this board and complain ... Ooooh we can't win our league cause SMU donates more money than we do !!!
Get off your azzes, go to our football games ... And donate to our NIL !! If you don't realize it ... We're competing with the Boise States and Appalachian States for football relevance. Tulane is probably going to the Cotton Bowl this year. You telling me we can't keep up with those schools !!! Kiss my azz !!! 04-chairshot
11-27-2022 03:10 PM
Advertisement

steves Offline
All American

I Root For: DA'TIGS'
(11-27-2022 03:10 PM)steves Wrote:  P5 may have sailed but this don't mean doodoo !!! This is our cities football team. PERIOD !!! You want to sit around while it turns to ... doodoo ... Then go F yourself and watch th SEC on your Big Screen TVs. Buy your SEC merchandise, put SEC stickers on your car. And don't come over here on this board and complain ... Ooooh we can't win our league cause SMU donates more money than we do !!!
Get off your azzes, go to our football games ... And donate to our NIL !! If you don't realize it ... We're competing with the Boise States and Appalachian States for football relevance. Tulane is probably going to the Cotton Bowl this year. You telling me we can't keep up with those schools !!! Kiss my azz !!! 04-chairshot

And Silverfield can't win football games ... He can play competitive ... Just can't win. Fact !!07-coffee3
11-27-2022 03:16 PM
former guest Online
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(11-27-2022 09:43 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

Summary -

I keep hearing all the NIL talk especially about SMU being way ahead of us. I know for sure they aren’t ahead of us in fan support. That stadium yesterday was ridiculous. Empty on 3 sides and the “home”‘side was maybe half full. Also are Tulane and ECU ahead of us as well? And if they are not what’s the point since the administration knows we will never get into a P5? We really need to take a hard look and wonder if we are sending good money after bad

Unfortunately, even with their measly fan support, they don’t seem to mind providing their program with $$. It appears our fan base doesn’t have the means to support the program at a similar level. It is like the old maxim: It takes money to make money. We are starting 20+ years too late and the leadership isn’t real interested in pushing for this in today’s climate.
11-27-2022 05:30 PM
RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

(11-27-2022 02:57 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

Summary -

Life wasn’t suppose to be fair

Our only option now is to focus on being the best G5 team and get the CFP bid. Whatever that looks like.
11-27-2022 06:21 PM
ImaTiger Online
We fight like Tigers!

I Root For: I am a 901Tiger
ECU fan base is wealthier than the Memphis fan base. Tulane and SMU are ALOT wealthier than the UofM alumni. We have our rockets but most of our alumni are first generation college graduates and don't have the discretionary income those schools do. 20$ increase in anything generates bitching.

Yet we compete! We do. There is the hope. Our walk up fans and our talent base are better than those 3. Somehow; So...

We need to find a good person, who is an ok coach, who doesn't cheat and who loves our town and school. Support him with increasing NIL donations and attendance for a decade. Then good things will happen.

Seems our current coach has lost his nerve. Maybe he'll find it? I don't know. He will or he won't. He's got one more year; maybe.
11-27-2022 07:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.