Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

London Classic
Bookmark and Share
geewizNU Offline
All American

I Root For: Northeastern
London Classic
After getting thumped by Syracuse Saturday, NU is across the pond for the inaugural London Classic.

NU will face Manhattan College at noon on Thursday. The winner faces Princeton/Army on Saturday. As of now, I don't think the games can be seen online.

Manhattan is 1-2, but their only win was against a DII team. If NU is going to get a W this is the game to get it from.

https://twitter.com/GoNUmbasketball/stat...V2QSWkDChg
11-22-2022 08:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NUGUY Offline
1st String

I Root For: nu
RE: London Classic
(11-22-2022 08:53 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  After getting thumped by Syracuse Saturday, NU is across the pond for the inaugural London Classic.

NU will face Manhattan College at noon on Thursday. The winner faces Princeton/Army on Saturday. As of now, I don't think the games can be seen online.

Manhattan is 1-2, but their only win was against a DII team. If NU is going to get a W this is the game to get it from.

Did you get an email from coach Murphy about streaming the game?
11-23-2022 08:31 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

(11-23-2022 08:31 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  
(11-22-2022 08:53 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  After getting thumped by Syracuse Saturday, NU is across the pond for the inaugural London Classic.

Did you get an email from coach Murphy about streaming the game?

I just saw it.

However, the NU hoops Twitter page has a link to the game via YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_xRRnkUoDQ
11-23-2022 09:01 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

Nice to get a win and see the team smiling.

Did they say where Troutman was?

The two bigs did more than I expected of them combining for seventeen rebounds and five blocks.

Cormier picked a great time to get his first assist of the game.

Welcome aboard Joe Pridgen

What is an illegal substitution?

We killed them on the boards. Great group effort.

This is why most people say Coen is the best x and O coach in the league.
11-24-2022 05:52 PM
Advertisement

NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

I don't know what the poor people of London did to deserve the two games they saw today, but we should issue an apology on behalf of our country. It was nice to get a win but I'm getting really concerned that we might stink. I will give it the month of December still but if we are still turning it over 20 times per game at that point, it will be a forgone conclusion. I’m also getting really concerned about late game management. 2019-2020 was an absolute debacle. 2021-22 had horror movies at W&M and Hofstra. And now this year already has the Harvard mismanagement as well as the illegal substitution debacle today (not properly reporting sub to the table after a fee throw). Most conference games are very close so we really need to button up.
11-24-2022 09:53 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

(11-24-2022 09:53 PM)NUFan35 Wrote:  I don't know what the poor people of London did to deserve the two games they saw today, but we should issue an apology on behalf of our country. It was nice to get a win but I'm getting really concerned that we might stink. I will give it the month of December still but if we are still turning it over 20 times per game at that point, it will be a forgone conclusion. I’m also getting really concerned about late game management. 2019-2020 was an absolute debacle. 2021-22 had horror movies at W&M and Hofstra. And now this year already has the Harvard mismanagement as well as the illegal substitution debacle today (not properly reporting sub to the table after a fee throw). Most conference games are very close so we really need to button up.

35......I think you're right to say, "let's give them more time to see what we've got here." 2019-2020 and 2021-2022 should be in the rear view mirror. This is an almost a completely new collection of players.
11-25-2022 12:41 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
In terms of the illegal substitution, I wonder how many basketball experts have ever seen a game where a player earned two or more free throws from the same foul (not counting if a player shoots for a technical, then the other team, then the first player for a personal) and had the other team attempt a free throw in between. It is extremely unusual, but when something like that happens in a mid-major game, but many people find out it happened. I watched overtime. Unlike Hofstra's and Towson's tournaments that charge, the London Classic is free to watch.
11-25-2022 11:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

I agree with NUGuy. It's ridiculous to give up on the season after 5 games. We all knew there would be struggles when you incorporate 6 freshman and a transfer.

Great to see Pridgen's breakout game. Now we just need Doherty of get games in with Telfort, Pridgen and Stucke before league play. Then add in Woods, Cormier and the others...

I'm not sure what's up with Troutman. I had in the back of my mind watching the replay that we're missing someone.

Quick highlights of the 69-67 OT win.

https://twitter.com/GoNUmbasketball/stat...78qDrHffuQ
11-25-2022 05:32 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

With Princeton, Georgia Tech and Davidson still ahead od us we not likely to finish the preseason with fewer than seven losses but I'm anxious to see if there is a payoff in conference play.

Looks like the Tech game is on the ESPN app.
11-25-2022 08:51 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

NU +7.5. Over under 138.5
11-26-2022 10:56 AM
Advertisement

NUGUY Offline
1st String

I figured out what the illegal substitution was. In Coen's post game talk he mentioned an over excited freshman mistake. Cormier missed his first free throw and made his second. Metcalf and Turner were kneeling ready to enter the game after checking in and one of then came onto the court not realizing that Cormier had another shot coming.
11-26-2022 03:09 PM
NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

I'm not giving up on this team even though my head tells me we stink. We will get better during the year, somewhat, but I don't think there will be a lot of success. With all these freshmen, this is a long-term play at the best case (worst case involves them leaving for the portal).

What I'm talking about is something completely different. It's the last 4 minutes of these games. Similar to the NFL, this is a very different part of coaching in this day and age. Our staff is definitely excellent at x's and o's but has not shown an ability to execute successfully in the last 4 minutes for a few years now. On top of that, there have been some of the craziest things imaginable happen. Even today, we had four chances to inbound the ball away from traffic and get a quick three but we continued to inbound the ball where we could easily get fouled. That's a tougher criticism and is asking for graduate level execution. But also, it seems like most times we have a big possession, we don't even get a shot up. If someone was objectively looking at another team, the very valid criticism would be that the staff did not have them ready to execute in those situations. If it happens year after year for a series of years, the analysis would be even more condemning. That’s the problem I hope we address and fix.
11-26-2022 03:18 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

(11-26-2022 03:18 PM)NUFan35 Wrote:  I'm not giving up on this team even though my head tells me we stink. We will get better during the year, somewhat, but I don't think there will be a lot of success. With all these freshmen, this is a long-term play at the best case (worst case involves them leaving for the portal).

What I'm talking about is something completely different. It's the last 4 minutes of these games. Similar to the NFL, this is a very different part of coaching in this day and age. Our staff is definitely excellent at x's and o's but has not shown an ability to execute successfully in the last 4 minutes for a few years now. On top of that, there have been some of the craziest things imaginable happen. Even today, we had four chances to inbound the ball away from traffic and get a quick three but we continued to inbound the ball where we could easily get fouled. That's a tougher criticism and is asking for graduate level execution. But also, it seems like most times we have a big possession, we don't even get a shot up. If someone was objectively looking at another team, the very valid criticism would be that the staff did not have them ready to execute in those situations. If it happens year after year for a series of years, the analysis would be even more condemning. That’s the problem I hope we address and fix.

With Princeton up by three they were going to foul whoever the inbounds pass came into. There is no scenerio where they leave someone open for a three pointer.

That being said I do have a comment in the coaching category. I rewatched the last eight minutes again and we played differently during that time. There was too little ball movement and too much standing around watching the ball handler. We wasted possessions throwing up a couple buzzerbeaters that were missed, throwing the ball away and forcing up shots that were blocked.

The other thing is that at that eight minute mark Princeton was shooting fg's at about fifteen percent for the half. It's too much to expect that would keep happening and they finished the game making a lot of plays.

Congrats to Alex...our new full time backup center.
11-26-2022 05:31 PM
Advertisement

NUGUY Offline
1st String

Wiz, I'm anxious to see your thoughts. Was this a net positive or a net negative?
11-26-2022 11:25 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

(11-26-2022 11:25 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  Wiz, I'm anxious to see your thoughts. Was this a net positive or a net negative?

I needed some time to digest how NU lost this game, because they blew this one.

That scoreless sequence in the 2nd half when we failed to extend a 9 point lead (both teams went ice cold) only to see us go cold again the last 3+ minutes of the game as Princeton regained the lead for good… really pissed me off.

I mean some of the missed shots rolled around the rim, but the lack of 3-point shooting came to roost. Although you have to give some blame to Coen and the staff for not trying to get Stucke more shot attempts. I mean he only had two shots and one 3 point shot attempt for the game? That can’t happen. He’s too important now for him to hoist so few shots. I know they keyed on him, but still.

I LOVED Ngawha’s game today. He was a terror on the boards (17) and active around the rim to record his first double-double. Like you said NUGuy, he cemented his place as the backup to Doherty. And in many ways he’s more athletic than Doherty.

Chase needs to be better for this team to at least finish 6th. He’s not selling himself to grab the starting role from McClintock. There was going to be ups and downs with him, but I thought he’d be better by now. Obviously there’s still plenty of time but he needs to be better.

Woods made some untimely turnovers and Metcalf has to go up strong. But his shot blocking is a plus. But he too needs work. Troutman missed the tournament and I don’t know why. I hope everything is okay with him.

This one stings because we led most of the game and we pissed away chances to put an upper tier Ivy team in a deep hole.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2022 02:11 AM by geewizNU.)
11-27-2022 02:08 AM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

Yeah, it feels like Alex has finally arrived. This wasn't a case of rebounds bouncing his way for a couple of games. It's like someone flipped a switch and suddenly he had a rebounder's mentality. Maybe all he needed was more playing time. In any case it looks like one of our two main weaknesses is now a strength.

I forgot to mention Stucke. In prep school he was one dimentional and he kind of still is. He needs someone to get him the ball for an open look. I like him because he never takes bad shots but there are a lot of games when his stat line is pretty empty for the amount of minutes he gets.

I hate to see us lose...especially a come from behind loss against a team we were expected to beat. Princeton wasn't a team we were expected to beat, though. We are currently ranked 279 while they are at 134. The fact that we played them even for much of the game makes the loss a little less painful for me.
11-27-2022 12:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.