Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Property purchased
Bookmark and Share
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
Property purchased
I just learned that ETSU has purchased the Earthfare plaza property. This is huge and something that has been needed for many years. Can we now imagine a new event center arena for the region?
11-18-2022 09:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bakline Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Property purchased
Just over 5 acres for the university. This is a good acquisition and opens up many possibilities for future development.

I’m partial to seeing an on campus basketball arena but still feel like Freedom Hall is a great venue.
11-20-2022 01:52 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

The plot **MAY** be thicker than you all realize. Not too long before the "announcement" about the Earth Fare Plaza, the Bojangles adjacent to it changed hands. Maybe a couple of weeks. I do not know who purchased it, but do know it was because the seller said "it was too good an offer to pass up". That's pretty interesting terminology - and that was relayed to me first-hand by someone in a position to know. And I also know the deed hasn't been filed yet, which is mildly curious, but not necessarily quite what I'd call "odd". So stay tuned for that. The timing could be a total coincidence, but also maybe not. Could Mitch Cox be stepping into the breach a little bit left by the recent passing of one of ETSU's all-time benefactors (and not just in terms of dollars), Louie Gump? Just speculation, but one wonders.

That said............I suspect some of you who were so strongly urging that an on-campus basketball+ facility of 9-10-12,000 be built are perhaps thankful that didn't get done yet, given the sagging attendance all around the country. And I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to want that - but the way things are playing out at the moment, it would have been premature. IMO.

All *that* said..............the wording (and timing) of the "announcement" were a bit peculiar, as we all know. And the "it may not be needed for 20 years" (paraphrased) sound an *awfully* lot like "well.........if we ever want to build an arena". That's reading between the lines, but I didn't need glasses for that reading. And layer onto that it was the Foundation who bought it - not the university (who would have had to go thru the state). All sheer speculation; heck, it could be a KFC or DQ going in there.
11-30-2022 09:31 PM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

We have to understand that IF a new event center is built it would not solely be for ETSU basketball but instead for major concerts that are too big for Freedom Hall. The Bucs would only need the lower deck for basketball. We do not want to make the ETSU mistakes of the past and build something small that would still not give the region a major event center. Either build it big or do not build it. We have to quit thinking that basketball is going to fill it because it will not. Major concerts by popular artists will fill it. That is the real purpose.
11-30-2022 09:48 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(11-30-2022 09:48 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  We have to understand that IF a new event center is built it would not solely be for ETSU basketball but instead for major concerts that are too big for Freedom Hall. The Bucs would only need the lower deck for basketball. We do not want to make the ETSU mistakes of the past and build something small that would still not give the region a major event center. Either build it big or do not build it. We have to quit thinking that basketball is going to fill it because it will not. Major concerts by popular artists will fill it. That is the real purpose.

.......which is all why I wrote "basketball+" instead of just "basketball".
11-30-2022 09:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.