Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Vball HC out
Bookmark and Share
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Vball HC out
Volleyball head coach Ray Gooden, whose contract expires 6/30/23, is not being renewed. See link to official website statement ...

https://niuhuskies.com/news/2022/11/18/w...ogram.aspx

That explains Gooden's restrospective comments following the loss to WMU and not getting into the MAC tournament. Fade2Black posted that on the "Vball getting it done ?!" thread, which IMO answers *that* question.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2022 06:20 PM by pvk75.)
11-18-2022 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
RE: Vball HC out
This completely shocks me. Ray has been a very successful coach. The team’s performance had slipped in recent years, but, I certainly assumed he would retire from NIU.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2022 06:35 PM by HuskieDave.)
11-18-2022 06:33 PM
epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Very surprised. Gonna be hard to find someone willing to make so little money and lead the program for as long.

Although, this gives me hope maybe he will have the strength to fire Hammock if we have another losing season.

BTW, did we fire the baseball coach yet? That program has been terrible compared to volleyball.
11-18-2022 06:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
Of all the ****** programs we have, seems weird to fire the coach of a sport that’s been decent
11-18-2022 07:08 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

(11-18-2022 06:58 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Very surprised. Gonna be hard to find someone willing to make so little money and lead the program for as long.

Although, this gives me hope maybe he will have the strength to fire Hammock if we have another losing season.

BTW, did we fire the baseball coach yet? That program has been terrible compared to volleyball.

I only have my own slim knowledge to work with, but there's something about the whole baseball stadium, program, coaching, fund-raising thing that doesn't feel right somehow. Not saying anything nefarious, but the whole process of everything has been kind of herky-jerky.

As to Gooden, his salary under the current contract was/is about $112,500. That's more than a bunch of other head coaches (and may be due somewhat to longevity).

I am more concerned with the top talent Gooden drew and what those student-athletes will do. Women use the portal too. Recall when the Buffalo women's bball HC went to Syracuse and a bunch of her players went with, or elsewhere. A Fade2Black pointed out in another thread, NIU has some really good personnel. The Huskies were one win shy of going to the MAC tournament.

For once, though, I agree with STF at least in part ... every year I speculate/hope this will be a great season, and every year for a half dozen have been disappointed. IMO, the length of time Montgomery was here in a state of general futility in mbball (and his contract expiring) may have put such things in STF's mind.
11-18-2022 07:15 PM
Advertisement

Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(11-18-2022 06:16 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  Volleyball head coach Ray Gooden, whose contract expires 6/30/23, is not being renewed. See link to official website statement ...

https://niuhuskies.com/news/2022/11/18/w...ogram.aspx

That explains Gooden's restrospective comments following the loss to WMU and not getting into the MAC tournament. Fade2Black posted that on the "Vball getting it done ?!" thread, which IMO answers *that* question.

I heard STF secretly did not renew Goodens contract.
11-18-2022 08:56 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

The Huskies MVBall finished the 2022 season with a 17-11 overall record, 10-8 in MAC play.

If Mark Mongomery had this record in men's basketball, he would have received a
four-year extension with a 20% annual raise.
Of course, The Northern Star would inform us several months after the new contract was signed.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2022 09:02 PM by NIU75.)
11-18-2022 08:59 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

(11-18-2022 08:59 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  The Huskies MVBall finished the 2022 season with a 17-11 overall record, 10-8 in MAC play.

If Mark Mongomery had this record in men's basketball, he would have received a
four-year extension with a 20% annual raise.
Of course, The Northern Star would inform us several months after the new contract was signed.

Comments by epasnoopy, 7 and you make me wonder if there is more to this than having a winning record but just not enough of a winning record. I have no way to find answers, but maybe somebody who knows more about the vball program may. One thing ... a whole lot of what STF does just happens somewhat strangely.
11-18-2022 09:58 PM
NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
The program devolved to mediocrity. Six years of not making MAC tournament is more than enough reason to not renew his contract. He has not recruited top talent because if he had then he would have been retained and if your definition of success is not making the conference tournament then sure he's been "successful".
11-18-2022 11:09 PM
Advertisement

HuskieDave Offline
All American

(11-18-2022 11:09 PM)NIUSAE Wrote:  The program devolved to mediocrity. Six years of not making MAC tournament is more than enough reason to not renew his contract. He has not recruited top talent because if he had then he would have been retained and if your definition of success is not making the conference tournament then sure he's been "successful".

He is 357-295 and our all-time winningest coach in program history, with multiple MAC championships and NCAA appearances. We have virtually no one else in the department with anything even close to his accomplishments.

And just which of our programs are recruiting “top talent”?

There is no doubt in my mind that he has been successful.
11-18-2022 11:18 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(11-18-2022 11:18 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  
(11-18-2022 11:09 PM)NIUSAE Wrote:  The program devolved to mediocrity. Six years of not making MAC tournament is more than enough reason to not renew his contract. He has not recruited top talent because if he had then he would have been retained and if your definition of success is not making the conference tournament then sure he's been "successful".

He is 357-295 and our all-time winningest coach in program history, with multiple MAC championships and NCAA appearances. We have virtually no one else in the department with anything even close to his accomplishments.

And just which of our programs are recruiting “top talent”?

There is no doubt in my mind that he has been successful.

Does it matter which programs are recruiting "top talent"?

Isn't that subjective?

Hey look...I am way out over my skis when it comes to sports liked volleyball and quite a few others. I have no clue what it takes to get "top talent" or how good the conference is or what it takes to get into the MAC Tournament. Hell...I'm not even sure how many teams qualify.

With all of that said. I'm going to question comparing the recruiting of the volleyball team vs the recruiting of the football or men's basketball team. Seems like these aren't comparable components just based on the emphasis on those two sports vs something like volleyball which is more of a regional sport regarding importance and in no way....anywhere...has as much of a spotlight on it as football or MBB.

I'm probably talking out of my bung. I've been guilty of that plenty of times.

But I just don't get comparing these programs as if it's apples to apples.
11-19-2022 12:48 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

Nobody compared recruiting volleyball with recruiting another sport. The question about which of our programs are recruiting “top talent” would necessarily have to be discussed sport by sport anyway.

Back to volleyball and Gooden ... if you accept STF's explanation about the last six years, then it makes sense. If you are going to make a change, you do it in the last year of a contract after the actual season is over. That is what happened with men's basketball and Mark Montgomery. NIU cannot afford buyouts.

Unfortunately, sometimes, in the real world it is about "what have you done for us lately." Gooden's overall 21-year record is 357-295. But over the past six seasons (2017-2022) it is 68-104 overall and 49-57 in conference. True that in the past two years, it got better (33-24/20-16) but with a contract coming up, when/do you make a change?

The same was asked about Montgomery, whose extensions carried him out to 10 years. Why did STF keep extending? We don't know, obviously. Also, I mentioned earlier ... IMO that STF had that Montgomery run in mind. And also (bean counter that he is), Gooden's $112,500 annual had to be on STF's mind ... more than most other HCs, and an extension would mean what in $ terms?

I repeat also ... NIU has some really good players who have set records and won MAC accolades. I hope they stay for the next chapter. And I wish Coach Gooden all the best.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2022 03:13 AM by pvk75.)
11-19-2022 03:10 AM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
I have a feeling this will bite the vball team/athletics in the rear. For a non revenue sport Gooden seemed to always have them in the MAC champ conversation every few years and won it a couple. Will be hard to duplicate that especially for the pay. Time will tell.
11-19-2022 09:35 PM
Advertisement

DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
(11-19-2022 09:35 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  I have a feeling this will bite the vball team/athletics in the rear. For a non revenue sport Gooden seemed to always have them in the MAC champ conversation every few years and won it a couple. Will be hard to duplicate that especially for the pay. Time will tell.

+1
11-19-2022 10:06 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
This is enough for me: "past six seasons (2017-2022) it is 68-104 overall and 49-57 in conference." This season wasn't horrible, but Gooden had more than enough to time to show if he was capable of getting to a dominant position in the MAC.

Now if only STF would apply that same logic to himself and resign 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2022 08:45 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
11-20-2022 08:10 AM
Fade2black Online
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ALLNIU
I wonder if the decision not to renew was made a while ago. I noticed that the alumni night during the last homestand was well attended with some of the best players Gooden ever had play for NIU. I wonder if they already knew his fate. There are several alums of the program who have followed a coaching career path who I imagine might apply. Alexis "Pookie" Gonzalez was a dynamic player and has been an assistant coach at several stops since she graduated. She has a Masters in Sports Management. I think she'd bring a lot of passion to the job. Not saying that alums have a better chance of being successful, but they might better understand what's needed for success. My guess is that the hire will be a women. We have four women's sports that are coached by men, so I can understand wanting to have more balance in that regard.
11-21-2022 10:20 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I am NOT promoting any candidate for new HC. This is just more info on Gonzalez, since her name was mentioned ...

https://nmuwildcats.com/sports/womens-vo...onzalez/68

She was on teams that went: 2015 (19-11/10-2) ... 2014 (21-10/14-2) ... 2013 (19-13/10-6) ... 2012 (21-15/10-6) ... Totals: 80-49/47-16.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2022 03:50 PM by pvk75.)
11-21-2022 03:36 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

(11-21-2022 03:36 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  I am NOT promoting any candidate for new HC. This is just more info on Gonzalez, since her name was mentioned ...

https://nmuwildcats.com/sports/womens-vo...onzalez/68

She was on teams that went: 2015 (19-11/10-2) ... 2014 (21-10/14-2) ... 2013 (19-13/10-6) ... 2012 (21-15/10-6) ... Totals: 80-49/47-16.

That is an extremely light resume for a D1 HC. No thanks.
11-21-2022 03:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.