Word is ETSU fires softball coach.
11-15-2022 06:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buc'ed_Up Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
RE: SOFTBALL
had to know this was coming after all the allegations. not sure why it took so long.
11-16-2022 10:19 AM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(11-16-2022 10:19 AM)Buced_Up Wrote:  had to know this was coming after all the allegations. not sure why it took so long.

Potential lawsuit? . The university would be wise to hire a new AD with a law degree to keep these buy-out clauses out of future coaches’ contracts. What is the university paying this one to get canned? Are we still paying Steve Forbes, for example?
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2022 12:06 PM by Buc66.)
11-16-2022 12:00 PM
Buc'ed_Up Offline
1st String

When there are title 9 allegations, typically the university can get out of paying buyouts
11-18-2022 05:32 PM
Buc76 Offline
Special Teams

No, ETSU didn't pay Steve Forbes anything when he left.

Coachs have agents who protect and demand many things in a contract.
Obviously your not paying attention to the outrageous sums of money being paid by other Universities to get rid of coaches.

I guarantee you, ETSU would not be giving away money to the now departed coaches just to be nice.
11-20-2022 07:48 PM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

When does softball season begin? I know we have no coach but do have some players?
12-08-2022 11:46 AM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

We now have a softball coach! Welcome Coach Milligan.
12-14-2022 01:50 PM
WingedWarrior Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Go Bucs!
(12-14-2022 01:50 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  We now have a softball coach! Welcome Coach Milligan.

According to the report I see, Coach Milligan is being named as interim coach. Is it unusual to bring in an external person as an interim?
12-14-2022 02:18 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
(12-14-2022 01:50 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  We now have a softball coach! Welcome Coach Milligan.

I can't decide whether to describe this as ironic, hilarious, or Maybe Karma has a sense of humor

03-old
12-14-2022 03:10 PM
Advertisement

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2022 02:18 PM)WingedWarrior Wrote:  

According to the report I see, Coach Milligan is being named as interim coach. Is it unusual to bring in an external person as an interim?

Read to see the point of "interim", and how that could easily change:

Sander discusses hire and potential going forward

(And this fits with what I thought was going to happen - i.e. Sander naming a coach before another AD comes in.)
12-14-2022 10:01 PM
Efan Offline
Special Teams

(11-16-2022 12:00 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(11-16-2022 10:19 AM)Buced_Up Wrote:  had to know this was coming after all the allegations. not sure why it took so long.

Potential lawsuit? . The university would be wise to hire a new AD with a law degree to keep these buy-out clauses out of future coaches’ contracts. What is the university paying this one to get canned? Are we still paying Steve Forbes, for example?

Just for the record, Forbes/Wake had to pay ETSU around $500K for a buyout. Most of that money was turned around and handed to Jason Shay for his buyout a year later, though. Randy Sanders didn’t finish his contract, but since he retired, I assume didn’t have to pay a buyout to ETSU.
12-15-2022 06:12 AM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
Softball team is now 10-27. Was it really the coach?
04-13-2023 08:34 AM
etsubuc Offline
All American

(04-13-2023 08:34 AM)BucDoctor Wrote:  Softball team is now 10-27. Was it really the coach?

Since starting the program in the 2000-01 season, the team has never been very good. Almost every season has been under .500 record.
04-13-2023 01:40 PM
Advertisement

Buckyball Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-13-2023 01:40 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  
(04-13-2023 08:34 AM)BucDoctor Wrote:  Softball team is now 10-27. Was it really the coach?

Since starting the program in the 2000-01 season, the team has never been very good. Almost every season has been under .500 record.

She’s been here four months, and is playing mostly with the players who were here when she got here. And they are playing better than last year, but could sorely use more pitching. One starter has won the majority of their games.
04-24-2023 04:47 PM
Buckyball Offline
Bench Warmer

SOCON Softball Tournament in Chattanooga: The girls lost to the #2 seed 4-2, but now have beaten/eliminated the #3 seed and beaten/eliminated the #4 seed—we eliminated all the purple from the tournament. There’s going to be 4 teams left going to tomorrow, and we have a reasonable shot at winning the early game tomorrow. If they get by that game it could get interesting.
05-11-2023 07:09 PM
Heisman

09-21-2023 03:10 AM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(09-21-2023 03:10 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Assistant hired:

https://www.etsubucs.com/softball/news/2...ant-coach/

Is this a revenue generating sport? Live too far away to attend ETSU athletic events and don’t purchase tickets. Could someone please share those sports at ETSU that generate revenue through ticket sales and media income? How much is it costing to subsidize the ETSU Athletic Department ($22+ million) through student fees? For the non-revenue generating sports, how much of that support comes through designated donations?
09-21-2023 07:18 AM
Advertisement

Buckyball Offline
Bench Warmer

The answer to the first question is "not through ticket sales," as I've been to quite a few games over the years and they don't sell tickets or charge admission. They may make a bit off concessions and merchandise. I have no idea how the media package with the conference and advertising revenue from softball games gets distributed, and whether or not they make enough to pay the costs of putting the content on ESPN+ or not. Not all regular season games are broadcast, but all the tournament games are on online, and I assume that they do make something or else they wouldn't broadcast them.

The rest of your questions would have to be answered by someone at the top of the athletics department, and I'm just a die-hard fan with kids of both genders who like to go to games. Like all D1 schools, we have some sports that are not revenue generating, but we have to have them for Title IX compliance. At least in East Tennessee, I believe softball, basketball, and soccer seem to be the women's sports with the most interest, attendance, and participation at the middle school and high school level right now, so it's a low-cost women's sport that makes the most sense (at least to me) for us to have. It is extremely difficult to coach baseball or softball even at the little league level (I've tried it...) without an assistant coach, and it may be an NCAA requirement too.

(09-21-2023 07:18 AM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(09-21-2023 03:10 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Assistant hired:

https://www.etsubucs.com/softball/news/2...ant-coach/

Is this a revenue generating sport? Live too far away to attend ETSU athletic events and don’t purchase tickets. Could someone please share those sports at ETSU that generate revenue through ticket sales and media income? How much is it costing to subsidize the ETSU Athletic Department ($22+ million) through student fees? For the non-revenue generating sports, how much of that support comes through designated donations?
09-21-2023 07:57 AM
Buc76 Offline
Special Teams

Your not to far away to donate to the Athlectic Dept.
09-21-2023 01:04 PM
Heisman

(09-21-2023 07:57 AM)Buckyball Wrote:  The answer to the first question is "not through ticket sales," as I've been to quite a few games over the years and they don't sell tickets or charge admission.

That's interesting - because I tried to go to a game about 3 or so years ago, not too long after the 'stadium' was built, and they *were* charging admission - so I left.
Not saying you're wrong............but if you're right the policy must have changed at some point.
09-22-2023 02:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.