UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Possible football candidates
stc Offline
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

I Root For: UAB!!!
Possible football candidates
At this point I think we all realize Vincent won’t return next season. What direction do you all think we might go?

An established coach? We have much to offer now.

An up and coming assistant?

Any possible UAB connections we reach out to? Tyson Helton? Bryan Ellis?
10-29-2022 11:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
RE: Possible football candidates
I’d personally like an up and comer, someone who is hungry for a P5 job and wants to use this as their proving ground. A coach like that is ultimately what will help us breakthrough our glass ceiling of 8 or 9 win seasons.
10-30-2022 12:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Golden-Ticket Online
1st String

I Root For: UAB
I’d rather go with a proven coach to at least get us through the AAC transition. It would need to be a pretty well known OC/DC for me to be like ohh this is a good hire
10-30-2022 08:07 AM
hooverblazer Online
Promoter of UAB

I'd rather get someone with head coaching experience.
10-30-2022 08:49 AM
Marathon Blazer Offline
Heisman

I think someone with head coaching experience that might not be as eager to take a P5 job, since we’re transitioning into a tougher conference. My favorite would be Matt Rhule. Other possibilities: Paul Chryst, Tom Herman, or Gary Patterson.

I’d prefer to stay away from an up and coming OC/DC. For better or worse, we’d likely be looking for another coach in 4 years, and one bad hire might take years to recover from (see Ellis Johnson at USM). If we could get a scenario that brings Bryan Ellis back as OC, that could get me on board. I’m not sure he’s ready to be head coach, but I think he would within 4 years.

One thing’s for sure, the coaching pool will be a hell of a lot deeper than our last football coaching search.
10-30-2022 09:02 AM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
(10-30-2022 08:49 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  I'd rather get someone with head coaching experience.

The problem with hiring someone with head coaching experience is that there is a reason he is looking for a job. Do you want a former G5 hotshot who stubbed his toe at the P5 level and hope he can recapture the old magic? Someone like Frost, Herman, or Strong? (Just examples). Or do you want a FCS star who wants to move up the ladder?

Would you want someone who has been successful in the past but is now 60 years old and looking for something to do for ten years and retire?

I do think y'all will attract a deeper pool of applicants joining the AAC than you would if you were still in CUSA.
10-30-2022 09:56 AM
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

...how much $$$ do y'all think will be 'provided' for the next hire?

From general info, it appears the 'basement' for a typical AAC coach is $2 million/year, with some upwards of $5 mill... IIRC, Clark was netting about $1.5 mil, so looks like that will have to roughly double in order to get a fair AAC level hire... [GTS STILL needs to make a 'money emoji'...03-lmfao]
10-30-2022 10:06 AM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

Someone who had a long, successful tenure at their former job, but just got worn down & stale & needed a break...
10-30-2022 10:08 AM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(10-30-2022 10:08 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Someone who had a long, successful tenure at their former job, but just got worn down & stale & needed a break...

...I wonder about Gary Patterson... not sure what the 'endgame' was for him at TCU, but he was a VERY solid coach who set the general foundation to what they are doing now... Tom Herman is another one... the 'Texas Connection' these coaches have may also be a good thing, as there are (at least) 4 AAC teams in Texas for 2023... 03-idea
10-30-2022 10:31 AM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
Patterson will be 63 in February so he might be willing if he wants one last shot as a head coach. But would he was at TCU 1998-2021 and is now a "special assistant" at Texas. Would he want to pick up and move to Alabama and deal with all the headaches of being a head coach?
10-30-2022 10:43 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
(10-30-2022 10:31 AM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  
(10-30-2022 10:08 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Someone who had a long, successful tenure at their former job, but just got worn down & stale & needed a break...

...I wonder about Gary Patterson... not sure what the 'endgame' was for him at TCU, but he was a VERY solid coach who set the general foundation to what they are doing now... Tom Herman is another one... the 'Texas Connection' these coaches have may also be a good thing, as there are (at least) 4 AAC teams in Texas for 2023... 03-idea

Those two are near the top of my list.
10-30-2022 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MAN4UAB Offline
All American

Would Patterson or Herman be interested in us?
10-30-2022 11:45 AM
Marathon Blazer Offline
Heisman

Just thought of another one: Chris Petersen.
10-30-2022 11:51 AM
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

Now that we know Vincent won't be it, when will we see articles on "Top 10 Candidates for UAB Job" or rumors that Coach Candidate #1 was in contact with UAB?
As soon as Charlotte fired Will Healy there were articles on Underdog Dynasty and The Athletic about their potential replacement candidates.

These type of articles are good marketing tools for UAB (especially if the candidates are names we are throwing around) and would help spark some excitement for the future for UAB fans. We're down right now, but if we start hearing rumors or see articles that Herman, Patterson, and Rhule can be potential candidates, then that can spark some excitement - similar to AK's rumored hiring and then official hiring.
10-30-2022 12:01 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(10-30-2022 12:01 PM)blazerblazer Wrote:  Now that we know Vincent won't be it, when will we see articles on "Top 10 Candidates for UAB Job" or rumors that Coach Candidate #1 was in contact with UAB?
As soon as Charlotte fired Will Healy there were articles on Underdog Dynasty and The Athletic about their potential replacement candidates.

These type of articles are good marketing tools for UAB (especially if the candidates are names we are throwing around) and would help spark some excitement for the future for UAB fans. We're down right now, but if we start hearing rumors or see articles that Herman, Patterson, and Rhule can be potential candidates, then that can spark some excitement - similar to AK's rumored hiring and then official hiring.

I agree with the fact that it could bring excitement for the fans. However, I wonder if that would finish tearing up the team? On another note, do we have a reporter that is willing to do such an article? Irvine, I think is still too connected to current staff to write such an article and I am not sure Dudley would actually do it either.
10-30-2022 12:07 PM
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

(10-30-2022 12:07 PM)ICB Wrote:  
(10-30-2022 12:01 PM)blazerblazer Wrote:  Now that we know Vincent won't be it, when will we see articles on "Top 10 Candidates for UAB Job" or rumors that Coach Candidate #1 was in contact with UAB?

I agree with the fact that it could bring excitement for the fans. However, I wonder if that would finish tearing up the team? On another note, do we have a reporter that is willing to do such an article? Irvine, I think is still too connected to current staff to write such an article and I am not sure Dudley would actually do it either.

I don't expect local media to do any of that digging, but they might since we're 4-4 right now. Underdog Dynasty or Chris Vannini (The Athletic) could do some digging.

And with tearing up the team, if they know he's not gonna get it may they'll fight harder for his last season with the team. Also, he is INTERIM HC, it's not like a Will Healy situation where he was HC for a few seasons. He is a transition coach as we do a national search. But right now it's not the players grit, it's the play calling. And the only game left I see us winning is La Tech, but it's on the road so it could be a tossup.
So things couldn't get worse. It's already gonna be tough to be Bowl Eligible so might was well rip that bandaid off now.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2022 12:17 PM by blazerblazer.)
10-30-2022 12:15 PM
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

(10-30-2022 12:15 PM)blazerblazer Wrote:  
(10-30-2022 12:07 PM)ICB Wrote:  

I don't expect local media to do any of that digging, but they might since we're 4-4 right now. Underdog Dynasty or Chris Vannini (The Athletic) could do some digging.

And with tearing up the team, if they know he's not gonna get it may they'll fight harder for his last season with the team. Also, he is INTERIM HC, it's not like a Will Healy situation where he was HC for a few seasons. He is a transition coach as we do a national search. But right now it's not the players grit, it's the play calling. And the only game left I see us winning is La Tech, but it's on the road so it could be a tossup.
So things couldn't get worse. It's already gonna be tough to be Bowl Eligible so might was well rip that bandaid off now.
Yeah those might do it. The only sources they would have would be agents… Ingram runs a very tight ship on coaching searches. On the players, I just know after the Rice/Liberty loss, several players took to Twitter to voice their support.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2022 12:52 PM by ICB.)
10-30-2022 12:51 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
Whoever it is I think they have to have certain characteristics

-Be young enough to work 90-100 hours a week in season. Off season is a mere 60 hours
-Someone who has forgotten the conventional offensive wisdom and gets the ball to play makers. Stress the defense
-Be ready willing and able to sell the UAB brand to the local community. Be prepared to be the vehicle to sell the brand outside the metro
-Be relatable to recruits. It's a tough sales environment right now. But you NEED to be able give them the opportunity to show their skills to get to the next level. Be the destination for guys in the transfer portal.

To say this hire is critical is an understatement. Someone is going to have a very wide skill set and have the staff to delegate
10-30-2022 12:52 PM
uabblazer2012 Offline
All American

(10-30-2022 12:52 PM)biglizard Wrote:  Whoever it is I think they have to have certain characteristics

-Be young enough to work 90-100 hours a week in season. Off season is a mere 60 hours
-Someone who has forgotten the conventional offensive wisdom and gets the ball to play makers. Stress the defense
-Be ready willing and able to sell the UAB brand to the local community. Be prepared to be the vehicle to sell the brand outside the metro
-Be relatable to recruits. It's a tough sales environment right now. But you NEED to be able give them the opportunity to show their skills to get to the next level. Be the destination for guys in the transfer portal.

To say this hire is critical is an understatement. Someone is going to have a very wide skill set and have the staff to delegate

Coach Prime
10-30-2022 01:22 PM
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

(10-30-2022 01:22 PM)uabblazer2012 Wrote:  
(10-30-2022 12:52 PM)biglizard Wrote:  Whoever it is I think they have to have certain characteristics

Coach Prime

He does tick every box there, but I still believe the speculation that he'll try for Georgia Tech or Auburn. But I would gladly take him for a few 10+ win seasons before FSU starts calling him back.

Apparently, someone on Facebook said we have been in contact with him and his agent twice already.
10-30-2022 02:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.