Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Western Athletic Conference Sues Texas School for $2 Million
Bookmark and Share
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Western Athletic Conference Sues Texas School for $2 Million
Quote:The Western Athletic Conference hit the University of the Incarnate Word with a $2 million lawsuit alleging the school reneged on its agreement to join the conference.

It's behind a pay wall
10-18-2022 01:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
RE: Western Athletic Conference Sues Texas School for $2 Million
Well deserved. Screw UIW. Lamar next.
10-18-2022 02:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Outsider Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & Tulane
UIW needs to pay every cent for screwing over the WAC and schools they had already scheduled with. I expect an out of court settlement though.
10-18-2022 06:32 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Even an out of court settlement resolves some of the damages caused by the sudden move.
10-18-2022 07:00 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

(10-18-2022 07:00 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Even an out of court settlement resolves some of the damages caused by the sudden move.

It would definitely help. Hopefully it also helps set a precedent in all this reshuffling to keep promises even if deciding to make a move.
10-18-2022 08:17 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
More details in this article:

Quote:The Western Athletic Conference is suing Incarnate Word for $2 million plus additional damages connected to the university’s decision to retain membership in the Southland Conference rather than follow through with a planned move to the WAC.

A complaint filed Friday in a Colorado District Court alleges UIW breached a contract signed in November 2021 outlining the program’s shift to the WAC targeted for July 1, 2022.

UIW announced June 24, just seven days before the scheduled shift, that the program had “recommitted” to remaining in the Southland. In a statement Wednesday, UIW argued the contract with the WAC was not considered effective until the date of the move.

“Contrary to the assertion in this lawsuit, the University of the Incarnate Word was at no time in breach of a contract with the Western Athletic Conference since the contract between the two ended prior to its effective date,” a UIW spokesperson said in a statement. “As such, the University of the Incarnate Word was never a ‘member institution’ according to the bylaws of the Western Athletic Conference and therefore not subject to exit fees. We look forward to a successful resolution of this matter.”

Though the WAC declined to comment on the lawsuit because of the pending litigation, the league’s complaint notes that UIW was involved in discussions and granted voting privileges for any decisions that impacted 2022-23 and beyond.

“Representatives of UIW attended board meetings of the WAC and were allowed to vote, participated in scheduling for sports competitions commencing the academic year starting July 1, 2022, and proceeded as a member of the WAC,” according to the filing.

The WAC also waived UIW’s entrance fee and agreed to pay $150,000 of the program’s exit fee from the Southland.

Per WAC bylaws cited in the complaint, a notice of withdrawal must be submitted before July 1 of any year, taking effect June 30 the following year. An institution that provides proper notice prior to departure is subject to a $1 million exit fee if the withdrawal comes after less than three years of membership, and that fee is doubled if proper notice is not provided.

UIW notified the WAC that it did not intend to proceed as a member in a letter dated June 24, per the league’s filing, violating a “clear and unambiguous promise.”

The university has “refused to pay” the exit fee, per the WAC’s complaint, and the league is also suing “for additional damages incurred as a result of the Defendant’s breaches,” including scheduling disruptions impacting travel expenses and housing costs.

Speaking in June after UIW announced its decision to remain in the Southland, athletic director Richard Duran said he did not believe UIW would be subject to any penalty from not joining the WAC.

“We were officially supposed to join on July 1. We notified them prior to that date,” Duran said. “So, right now, we think we never left the Southland Conference, never officially joined the WAC, so we’re excited to continue in the Southland and thank the WAC for the consideration and opportunity.”

“July 1 was definitely the trigger date for our official membership,” Duran continued, “and when all of the different bylaws or the rules as part of their conference would fall into place.”

Link
10-20-2022 12:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT
Does this mean Lamar and Sam are paying 1 million apiece?
10-20-2022 01:21 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(10-20-2022 01:21 PM)TallTexan Wrote:  Does this mean Lamar and Sam are paying 1 million apiece?

NMSU is paying an $85,000 exit fee. SHSU’s is probably the same. They didn’t leave the conference the way Lamar did.
10-20-2022 02:46 PM
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT
(10-20-2022 02:46 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(10-20-2022 01:21 PM)TallTexan Wrote:  Does this mean Lamar and Sam are paying 1 million apiece?

NMSU is paying an $85,000 exit fee. SHSU’s is probably the same. They didn’t leave the conference the way Lamar did.

Sounds like NMSU wouldn't get hit with the 1 million dollar fee bc they've been in the conference for more than 3 years.
10-20-2022 02:49 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

UIW is trying to split hairs. For all intents and purposes, they were indeed in the WAC, making schedules and votes. They left the WAC schools dangling in their wake. The WAC will be fine, but UIW needs to pay.
10-20-2022 05:18 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(10-20-2022 05:18 PM)Outsider Wrote:  UIW is trying to split hairs. For all intents and purposes, they were indeed in the WAC, making schedules and votes. They left the WAC schools dangling in their wake. The WAC will be fine, but UIW needs to pay.

The WAC will be “fine”, as long as Seattle, CBU, GCU, the 3 Utah schools, and to some extent UTA don’t find other conferences to play basketball in.

WAC football is far from being “fine”.
10-20-2022 06:14 PM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
(10-20-2022 06:14 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(10-20-2022 05:18 PM)Outsider Wrote:  UIW is trying to split hairs. For all intents and purposes, they were indeed in the WAC, making schedules and votes. They left the WAC schools dangling in their wake. The WAC will be fine, but UIW needs to pay.

The WAC will be “fine”, as long as Seattle, CBU, GCU, the 3 Utah schools, and to some extent UTA don’t find other conferences to play basketball in.

Kennesaw State leaving the A-Sun for C-USA has made the A-Sun just as dependent on the WAC and the WAC is dependent on the A-Sun for FCS football. And as long as the A-Sun is in the same situation as the WAC, both conferences will continue to need each other to form an FCS conference.
10-20-2022 06:29 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(10-20-2022 06:29 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  

Kennesaw State leaving the A-Sun for C-USA has made the A-Sun just as dependent on the WAC and the WAC is dependent on the A-Sun for FCS football. And as long as the A-Sun is in the same situation as the WAC, both conferences will continue to need each other to form an FCS conference.

Sure, assuming that only 1 other Texas school leaves, there are no other defections, and UTRGV actually starts football.
10-20-2022 06:44 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

(10-20-2022 06:44 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

Sure, assuming that only 1 other Texas school leaves, there are no other defections, and UTRGV actually starts football.

I expect more movement.
10-20-2022 08:02 PM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
(10-20-2022 08:02 PM)Outsider Wrote:  

I expect more movement.

Outside of Tarleton, which is totally dependent on an invite, who else is a potential departure? For me, the only school who could leave is SUU going back to the Big Sky. ACU and SFA don’t seem to me as schools wanting to go back down to the Southland.
10-20-2022 08:42 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

(10-20-2022 08:42 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  
(10-20-2022 06:14 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  The WAC will be “fine”, as long as Seattle, CBU, GCU, the 3 Utah schools, and to some extent UTA don’t find other conferences to play basketball in.

I expect more movement.

Outside of Tarleton, which is totally dependent on an invite, who else is a potential departure? For me, the only school who could leave is SUU going back to the Big Sky. ACU and SFA don’t seem to me as schools wanting to go back down to the Southland.

I don't see us going anywhere.
10-20-2022 09:08 PM
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(10-20-2022 08:42 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  
(10-20-2022 06:14 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  The WAC will be “fine”, as long as Seattle, CBU, GCU, the 3 Utah schools, and to some extent UTA don’t find other conferences to play basketball in.

I expect more movement.

Big Sky doesn’t need SUU. Would be a charity case.

ACU and SFA might not want to go back to the SLC, but might have to do it to “survive”.

Texas and Oklahoma ruined what the WAC was building.
10-20-2022 09:09 PM
Heisman

Why would they have to to survive. SFA despised what the SPC had turned into, a FCS-first conference with other sports near the bottom of the NCAA. SFA and ACU want a competitive all-sports program. The WAC gives them that. I can’t see either program going back for football.
10-23-2022 05:10 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(10-23-2022 05:10 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Why would they have to to survive. SFA despised what the SPC had turned into, a FCS-first conference with other sports near the bottom of the NCAA. SFA and ACU want a competitive all-sports program. The WAC gives them that. I can’t see either program going back for football.

What are they going to do, compete as football independents? That is not a viable path to FCS glory. They need to be in a conference. If the WAC, ASun, or any hybrid combo doesn’t have an automatic bid, they will have no choice.
10-23-2022 05:58 PM
Heisman

There are plenty of conferences that would have them for football-only.
10-24-2022 07:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.