Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Report: West Virginia-Cincinnati Pair for Future Big 12 Basketball Schedule
Bookmark and Share
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
MyBB Report: West Virginia-Cincinnati Pair for Future Big 12 Basketball Schedule
Report: West Virginia-Cincinnati Pair for Future Big 12 Basketball Schedule

[Image: IMG_0831.jpg?w=828&ssl=1]

Quote:As a source told CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein, West Virginia and Cincinnati will pair up for future Big 12 men’s basketball schedules when the league moves to 14 teams in 2023. Rothstein reported seven matchups that will be protected as the league will move away from a balanced conference schedule.

This pairing guarantees two games, one at each home venue.

New Big 12 MBB Pairings:

Cincinnati / West Virginia

Kansas / Kansas State

Oklahoma / Oklahoma State

Texas / Texas Tech

Baylor / TCU

Houston / UCF

Iowa State / BYU

If true, these matchups are perfect for the new era of Big 12 basketball. Rothstein also reported that the conference will stay at 18-game schedule and is committed to continuing the challenges with the Big East and SEC.

Cincinnati is slowly turning things around as second-year head coach Wes Miller is looking to return the Bearcats to relevancy. After Mick Cronin departed for UCLA, Cincinnati has been trying to find the right person to lead the program. First it was John Brannen, now it’s Miller’s time. Miller coached Cincinnati to an 18-15 record, upsetting Illinois in the process. Miller is one of the fastest up and coming coaches in the country, recording 203 career wins just at the age of 39...

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2022 11:42 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
10-13-2022 11:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
RE: Report: West Virginia-Cincinnati Pair for Future Big 12 Basketball Schedule
So we just play West Virginia for all our conference games? Cool.

10-14-2022 08:01 AM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I think they used to call the arrangement "travel partners" in the Big Ten. I imagine there will be a week where we play Kansas during the week and West Virginia plays Kansas State, then the opponents are reversed during the weekend.

10-14-2022 08:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(10-14-2022 08:07 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I think they used to call the arrangement "travel partners" in the Big Ten. I imagine there will be a week where we play Kansas during the week and West Virginia plays Kansas State, then the opponents are reversed during the weekend.

I think this has more to do with an odd number of scheduled games in basketball with 14 members, and protecting a potential "rivalry" within that. Obviously not necessarily for us, more for the teams that have established rivalries and want to keep that happening twice a year. I don't think this has anything to do with travel arrangements.

10-14-2022 08:55 AM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(10-14-2022 08:55 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(10-14-2022 08:07 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I think they used to call the arrangement "travel partners" in the Big Ten. I imagine there will be a week where we play Kansas during the week and West Virginia plays Kansas State, then the opponents are reversed during the weekend.

I think this has more to do with an odd number of scheduled games in basketball with 14 members, and protecting a potential "rivalry" within that. Obviously not necessarily for us, more for the teams that have established rivalries and want to keep that happening twice a year. I don't think this has anything to do with travel arrangements.

Yeah I think that's the main idea here. 14 teams means 13 games and they are committing to an 18 game schedule. So you play 5 teams twice and 8 teams once. UC will play WVU twice (presumably home and away annually) as one of our 5 teams. But of course the conference will lose Texas and OK and may add teams and/or re-align so it's all subject to change in the near future.

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2022 12:44 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
10-14-2022 12:32 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(10-14-2022 12:32 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(10-14-2022 08:55 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Yeah I think that's the main idea here. 14 teams means 13 games and they are committing to an 18 game schedule. So you play 5 teams twice and 8 teams once. UC will play WVU twice (presumably home and away annually) as one of our 5 teams. But of course the conference will lose Texas and OK and may add teams and/or re-align so it's all subject to change in the near future.

Bolded, that's a good summary of where we are I think. It's a natural with West Virginia, but as television news always says, "stay tuned". Personally, I feel TX and OK will work a deal to exit after next season and we'll see four or more Pac 12 teams entering the following season.

It's still unfolding, but the Big 12 may turn out bigger and better than we ever imagined when invited a little over a year ago.

10-14-2022 03:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.