Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Matt Brown on Beyond Kennesaw State
Bookmark and Share
TexasTerror Online
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
Matt Brown on Beyond Kennesaw State
Via D1.Ticker

Extra Points purveyor Brown writes further on potential Conference USA expansion beyond the report last week of Kennesaw State joining the fold: "Multiple industry sources have told me that while Eastern Kentucky is very interested, Western Kentucky has made it very clear that they do not want the Colonels in the league. Tarleton State has not been shy about expressing their interest in joining the league, but multiple industry sources have told me that Conference USA is not nearly as interested in them...at least right now. Missouri State, I'm told, remains focused on hoping to eventually join the Sun Belt, not Conference USA. Stephen F Austin, I'm been consistently told, would prefer not to make an FBS transition at this particular moment due to costs and infrastructure requirements. Unless a new school emerges, the candidate pool would likely just be the remaining ASUN football programs, like Central Arkansas, Austin Peay, or North Alabama."

Link
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2022 06:54 AM by TexasTerror.)
10-11-2022 06:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eku05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EKU & U of L
RE: Matt Brown on Beyond Kennesaw State
As I was saying, there are legitimate legs, from both EKU and non EKU sources to WKU working hard to keep us out. I'm not even saying they're wrong for doing it. It's their prerogative, but it absolutely is happening.
10-11-2022 07:13 AM
BeatWestern! Online
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
(10-11-2022 06:53 AM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Via D1.Ticker

Extra Points purveyor Brown writes further on potential Conference USA expansion beyond the report last week of Kennesaw State joining the fold: "Multiple industry sources have told me that while Eastern Kentucky is very interested, Western Kentucky has made it very clear that they do not want the Colonels in the league. Tarleton State has not been shy about expressing their interest in joining the league, but multiple industry sources have told me that Conference USA is not nearly as interested in them...at least right now. Missouri State, I'm told, remains focused on hoping to eventually join the Sun Belt, not Conference USA. Stephen F Austin, I'm been consistently told, would prefer not to make an FBS transition at this particular moment due to costs and infrastructure requirements. Unless a new school emerges, the candidate pool would likely just be the remaining ASUN football programs, like Central Arkansas, Austin Peay, or North Alabama."

Link

Yes, EKU's invite to C-USA is contingent upon WKU's departure.
10-11-2022 07:15 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
Hard to understand the reasoning.
Wished TUNA would get an invite. JSU has no problem competing with anyone. KSU is in our backdoor and if the league is expanding I welcome the Owls.
10-11-2022 07:24 AM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EKU, Louisville, NAVY
(10-11-2022 06:53 AM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Via D1.Ticker

Link

IF this IS true and they can prevent EKU from an invite it’s beyond petty and disgusting. This is what I meant regarding any influence that might be hard in Frankfort. Maybe there is nothing there, but we all know politics can influence people and situations ( political pressure on WKU to stop it). To chose Peay, Tarleton or UCA over EKU, who has clearly done the work, preparation and is ready for this move, for any one of those three is clearly biting your nose off to spite your face!
Maybe they can persuade CUSA to invite UVA-Wise or Lincoln Memorial-Tennessee, be no fear of legit competition there.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2022 07:51 AM by LexColonel.)
10-11-2022 07:45 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I wish WKU would have also kept KSU out.

Come on Hilltoppers, step it up.
10-11-2022 08:41 AM
Advertisement

galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
I may be in the minority, but I have no problem with EKU being in. At this point, WKU should want to be part of a geographically friendly conference with teams that interest fans. We are not going to be in a P5. We are not winning a national championship. I want an attractive league that is competitive and easy to travel. EKU does that.

Kennesaw State doesn't bother me, either, except they need to learn what basketball is.

The other schools I'd like to see join C-USA are Chattanooga and Missouri State.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2022 09:09 AM by galojah.)
10-11-2022 09:08 AM
eku05 Offline
Special Teams

(10-11-2022 09:08 AM)galojah Wrote:  I may be in the minority, but I have no problem with EKU being in. At this point, WKU should want to be part of a geographically friendly conference with teams that interest fans. We are not going to be in a P5. We are not winning a national championship. I want an attractive league that is competitive and easy to travel. EKU does that.

Kennesaw State doesn't bother me, either, except they need to learn what basketball is.

The other schools I'd like to see join C-USA are Chattanooga and Missouri State.

I think a lot of WKU fans feel that way. I'm certainly not waging any kind of war with the WKU fan base. I'm literally married to a WKU alum. I have a lot of positive associations with that school for other reasons too.

But I think there are (or at least were) a lot of WKU fans who were in denial that this was really a factor of any kind. There can reasonably be different opinions about what WKU is doing. Some may view it as a shrewd move, and it's totally reasonable to have that opinion. At this point, it's not reasonable to pretend it isn't happening, though.

Kudos to JSU's administration for liking the idea of bringing in an exciting rivalry, because it's going to be great for their program to have exciting things happening on the football field in years to come.
10-11-2022 09:34 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
Would love Chattanooga but not a big fan of Missouri State.
EKU
Delaware
SFA
McNeese
would be the top of my list. Even over several FBS schools.

Not sure what to do about FIU and a partner, Stetson appears the only reasonably close option. Not sure of the university's desire. West Florida would be a great school for FBS but havnt wanted to even move to FCS yet.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2022 03:38 PM by Gemofthehills.)
10-11-2022 09:35 AM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty, Army
(10-11-2022 09:08 AM)galojah Wrote:  I may be in the minority, but I have no problem with EKU being in. At this point, WKU should want to be part of a geographically friendly conference with teams that interest fans. We are not going to be in a P5. We are not winning a national championship. I want an attractive league that is competitive and easy to travel. EKU does that.

Chattanooga would be a really interesting add. I was just thinking about them.
10-11-2022 09:54 AM
XYZ Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Various
(10-11-2022 09:35 AM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  Would love Chattanooga but not a big fan of Missouri State.
EKU
Delaware
SFA
McNeese

Not sure what to do about FIU and a partner, Stetson appears the only reasonably close option. Not sure of the university's desire. West Florida would be a great school for FBS but having wanted to even move to FCS yet.

I highly doubt FIU remains in the league long. FIU needs to either start investing in athletics or drop football and go to the ASUN. To keep up with peer institutions like USF and FAU they are almost forced to start putting more money into sports. If they start doing that they should quickly move on to the AAC.
10-11-2022 09:58 AM
Advertisement

Soccer7 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Liberty
(10-11-2022 09:35 AM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  Would love Chattanooga but not a big fan of Missouri State.
EKU
Delaware
SFA
McNeese

Not sure what to do about FIU and a partner, Stetson appears the only reasonably close option. Not sure of the university's desire. West Florida would be a great school for FBS but having wanted to even move to FCS yet.

In a world where we could get what we wanted I feel the best two adds would be Missouri State and Florida Golf Coast (if they could be convinced to add football). That would make a great 12 team conference. If we went to 14 UTC and EKU would be great pickups.
10-11-2022 10:04 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(10-11-2022 10:04 AM)Soccer7 Wrote:  Florida Golf Coast (if they could be convinced to add football).

You want to add a school that doesn't even have a football team yet?

What the heck?
10-11-2022 10:44 AM
eku05 Offline
Special Teams

(10-11-2022 10:44 AM)inutech Wrote:  
(10-11-2022 10:04 AM)Soccer7 Wrote:  Florida Golf Coast (if they could be convinced to add football).

What the heck?

Not to argue against my own cause, but I can kind of see that. I think it's highly likely that an FGCU football program would explode into success really quickly. I could see it in the same sense that you buy a stock while it's still low so you can reap the profits when it rebounds.

They also have a really nice basketball program both in terms of team and facilities for whatever that adds.
10-11-2022 11:03 AM
Soccer7 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Liberty
(10-11-2022 10:44 AM)inutech Wrote:  

What the heck?

I said if they could be convinced to add a football team. That is a solid school athletically and I think it would not take them long to be strong in football. If gives the conference two schools in Florida, helping FIU. It helps in recruiting for others schools and makes the league stronger in all other sports.
10-11-2022 11:06 AM
Cruhawk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rutgers
Seems like for C-USA its basically down to the ASUN 4 (EKU, APSU, UNA, UCA) as most likely candidates, with a couple WAC schools (namely Tarleton and SFA) on the periphery, I'll throw in McNeese as unlikely dark horses.

My interpretation of the candidates:

EKU - would be blocked by WKU
APSU & UCA - Not sure if they have the facilities/resources, but haven't heard much on them RE: FBS ambitions anyway
UNA - just jumped to DI, may need more time and resources

SFA - Has bigger problems to worry about on a university level and wouldn't be able to justify the costs/resources required right now...but would be open to it later if they can stabilize
Tarleton - would be in the same boat as UNA if not for being located in Texas and being an A&M system member - and having obvious FBS ambitions based on their planned facilities upgrades

ACU - Has the money and nice (albeit small) facilities, I think they could pull it off if they wanted to, but I haven't heard their name pop up much. Basically Tarleton but without as much active desire.

McNeese - lynchpin member of the Southland , has desire but maybe not necessarily the facilities or finances to make it work. Plus they just got their old rival Lamar back. If New Orleans votes to add football and stabilizes further, They may stick around for a bit yet (especially since they'll have a good amount of influence in the Southland).

Think after KSU, C-USA would likely stand pat for now, but secretly hope that SFA joins a larger Texas university system and hires a president amenable to sports to stabilize, then the pitch to jump to FBS may be more palatable (solid basketball home, revives "Battle of Piney Woods", LA Tech relatively closely). If that happens, I could see C-USA adding SFA and either McNeese or Tarleton to get to 12 and split into 2 geographically distinct divisions, scaling back to 10 if NMSU and UTEP get poached by the MWC.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2022 11:30 AM by Cruhawk.)
10-11-2022 11:13 AM
Advertisement

galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
(10-11-2022 09:34 AM)eku05 Wrote:  

I think a lot of WKU fans feel that way. I'm certainly not waging any kind of war with the WKU fan base. I'm literally married to a WKU alum. I have a lot of positive associations with that school for other reasons too.

But I think there are (or at least were) a lot of WKU fans who were in denial that this was really a factor of any kind. There can reasonably be different opinions about what WKU is doing. Some may view it as a shrewd move, and it's totally reasonable to have that opinion. At this point, it's not reasonable to pretend it isn't happening, though.

Kudos to JSU's administration for liking the idea of bringing in an exciting rivalry, because it's going to be great for their program to have exciting things happening on the football field in years to come.

Some may be reflecting on the longstanding rumor that EKU got WKU kicked out of the OVC (when we were a football-only member.). Which, ended up being a great thing for WKU. We joined the Gateway Football Conference, won a I-AA National Championship, and was able to piviot to I-A.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2022 11:32 AM by galojah.)
10-11-2022 11:31 AM
eku05 Offline
Special Teams

Quote:Some may be reflecting on the longstanding rumor that EKU got WKU kicked out of the OVC (when we were a football-only member.). Which, ended up being a great thing for WKU. We joined the Gateway Football Conference, won a I-AA National Championship, and was able to piviot to I-A.

I have no reason to believe we were alone on that one, but even if we were, I will note the fact that WKU wasn't actually kicked out as a point of fact. They were offered the chance to rejoin as a full member or terminate associate membership. They chose not to pursue full membership (which was ABSOLUTELY the right call, and I don't blame them for a moment).

But my point is that it is, at best, an oversimplification to say that a school was "kicked out" of a conference that was, in no uncertain terms, offering them full membership. It wasn't a matter of wanting to keep WKU out. It was a matter of preferring that they be all in. It was WKU's choice to leave the OVC to begin with (also the right call for sure).

Associate membership is tough to rely on, and it's why I've always advocated against EKU making the FBS move if that's all we had to go with. It didn't work out well for UMass in the MAC either. They were, after the initial four-year contract essentially offered the same choice that the OVC offered WKU.

That said, I personally would have allowed the associate relationship to continue. I'm sorry the powers that be in the OVC at the time didn't see it that way. I'm always in favor of more rather than less of the "Battle of the Bluegrass."

Side note: NKU fans have been under the mistaken impression for years that EKU tried to keep them out of the OVC. On the contrary, we were one of their biggest proponents, and them not being admitted was one of the many straws that broke the camels back for EKU and the OVC. It was primarily the Tennessee schools who were against NKU membership. Instead we went with...SIU-Edwardsville???
10-11-2022 12:04 PM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(10-11-2022 12:04 PM)eku05 Wrote:  
Quote:Some may be reflecting on the longstanding rumor that EKU got WKU kicked out of the OVC (when we were a football-only member.). Which, ended up being a great thing for WKU. We joined the Gateway Football Conference, won a I-AA National Championship, and was able to piviot to I-A.

I have no reason to believe we were alone on that one, but even if we were, I will note the fact that WKU wasn't actually kicked out as a point of fact. They were offered the chance to rejoin as a full member or terminate associate membership. They chose not to pursue full membership (which was ABSOLUTELY the right call, and I don't blame them for a moment).

But my point is that it is, at best, an oversimplification to say that a school was "kicked out" of a conference that was, in no uncertain terms, offering them full membership. It wasn't a matter of wanting to keep WKU out. It was a matter of preferring that they be all in. It was WKU's choice to leave the OVC to begin with (also the right call for sure).

Associate membership is tough to rely on, and it's why I've always advocated against EKU making the FBS move if that's all we had to go with. It didn't work out well for UMass in the MAC either. They were, after the initial four-year contract essentially offered the same choice that the OVC offered WKU.

That said, I personally would have allowed the associate relationship to continue. I'm sorry the powers that be in the OVC at the time didn't see it that way. I'm always in favor of more rather than less of the "Battle of the Bluegrass."

Side note: NKU fans have been under the mistaken impression for years that EKU tried to keep them out of the OVC. On the contrary, we were one of their biggest proponents, and them not being admitted was one of the many straws that broke the camels back for EKU and the OVC. It was primarily the Tennessee schools who were against NKU membership. Instead we went with...SIU-Edwardsville???

Although WKU chose to leave rather than be forced into full membership, in some people's view, it was in essence being kicked out. The OVC invited WKU in as football only but after one season they then said that in order to remain, you must bring the rest of your sports. WKU was a football only member in 1999 and 2000 and left for the Gateway Conference.
10-11-2022 12:14 PM
eku05 Offline
Special Teams

Quote:Although WKU chose to leave rather than be forced into full membership, in some people's view, it was in essence being kicked out. The OVC invited WKU in as football only but after one season they then said that in order to remain, you must bring the rest of your sports. WKU was a football only member in 1999 and 2000 and left for the Gateway Conference.

I certainly know the history, and I understand how some people feel about it. But if we're trying to compare a school being, at least in effect, being blackballed from an entire subdivision to an incident in which another left a conference (for the second time) after being offered full membership, well...that really doesn't strike me as apples to apples.
10-11-2022 12:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.