Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Amazon ratings
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Amazon ratings
Saw that the NFL game last Thursday drew average 13 million viewers. Better than they were expecting even.
09-22-2022 08:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
RE: Amazon ratings
(09-22-2022 08:16 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Saw that the NFL game last Thursday drew average 13 million viewers. Better than they were expecting even.

I heard there were some technical difficulties.
09-22-2022 08:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
I am sure there was a novelty factor and people were curious what an NFL game would look like on a streaming only service. But those numbers must be inspiring for Amazon.

Of course, the real test comes in the next couple weeks to see how much of the initial audience is retained from week to week.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2022 08:26 AM by goofus.)
09-22-2022 08:25 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(09-22-2022 08:25 AM)goofus Wrote:  I am sure there was a novelty factor and people were curious what an NFL game would look like on a streaming only service. But those numbers must be inspiring for Amazon.

Of course, the real test comes in the next couple weeks to see how much of the initial audience is retained from week to week.

Yeah I agree with you. Also when the game matchups aren't as great. Not going to have a better one than Chiefs/Chargers all year long.
09-22-2022 08:28 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I think these NFL numbers are very important for every sports league (whether college or pro) for providing context on the potential viewership on streaming. If the NFL viewership numbers were terrible, for instance, there would be a sense of, "If people won't even watch a great NFL game on streaming, what chance do our much less valuable sports have?" On the flip side, if the NFL viewership numbers exceed expectations, it can break down a lot of the very real concerns of people running both pro and college sports leagues about whether streaming provides enough sufficient exposure compared to linear TV.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2022 09:25 AM by Frank the Tank.)
09-22-2022 09:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeatWestern! Online
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
(09-22-2022 09:25 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I think these NFL numbers are very important for every sports league (whether college or pro) for providing context on the potential viewership on streaming. If the NFL viewership numbers were terrible, for instance, there would be a sense of, "If people won't even watch a great NFL game on streaming, what chance do our much less valuable sports have?" On the flip side, if the NFL viewership numbers exceed expectations, it can break down a lot of the very real concerns of people running both pro and college sports leagues about whether streaming provides enough sufficient exposure compared to linear TV.

Frank is on target!
09-22-2022 09:31 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(09-22-2022 09:31 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  
(09-22-2022 09:25 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I think these NFL numbers are very important for every sports league (whether college or pro) for providing context on the potential viewership on streaming. If the NFL viewership numbers were terrible, for instance, there would be a sense of, "If people won't even watch a great NFL game on streaming, what chance do our much less valuable sports have?" On the flip side, if the NFL viewership numbers exceed expectations, it can break down a lot of the very real concerns of people running both pro and college sports leagues about whether streaming provides enough sufficient exposure compared to linear TV.

Frank is on target!

as is typical!
09-22-2022 11:21 AM
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
Streaming is not good for the Georgia Techs of the world who play in big markets, but have a questionable following in those markets. With streaming, you can only charge people whoa actually watch a team's games.

Maryland and Rutgers should be extremely thankful they got into the Big 10 when they did. Regardless of what value they might have had to the Big 10 in 2012 (and to some extent possibly now), it's probably doubtful they'll still have value 10 years from now.
09-22-2022 11:26 AM
BeatWestern! Online
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Some more perspective on last week's Chargers-Chiefs TNF matchup on Amazon Prime:

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/statu...CTstQrAAAA

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/stat...mNotQrAAAA
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2022 12:34 PM by BeatWestern!.)
09-22-2022 12:22 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
I thought the numbers would be lower. I was wrong.
09-22-2022 03:15 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
(09-22-2022 03:15 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I thought the numbers would be lower. I was wrong.

Agreed (on the expectation, not jumping on to say I agree you were wrong!).

It's no wonder we all of a sudden heard a lot more noise about them in regards to conference deals and such. The proof is in the numbers, they can get millions of viewers with the right product, so now they can try and find the right college product with that in hand.
09-22-2022 03:52 PM
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(09-22-2022 08:16 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Saw that the NFL game last Thursday drew average 13 million viewers. Better than they were expecting even.
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2022/09...rs-chiefs/

Last week’s Chargers-Chiefs Thursday Night Football game averaged a 6.4 rating and 13.03 million viewers on Amazon Prime, a figure that includes local over-the-air simulcasts in the home markets. Excluding those simulcasts — around 602,000 viewers on LA FOX affiliate KTTV and 555,000 on KC NBC affiliate KSHB — Amazon Prime alone averaged in the neighborhood of 11.8 million.

Notably, Amazon portion of Chargers-Chiefs averaged comfortably more viewers than the ESPN portion of the Monday Night Football audience in weeks one and two. ESPN and ESPN2 combined to average 9.9 million viewers for Broncos-Seahawks in Week 1 and 7.9 million for Titans-Bills in Week 2.
09-22-2022 03:54 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
Fox went from the weekend network with the Simpsons to a network that competed with ABC, NBC, and CBS when they added the NFL.

For Amazon, this is the link to whatever they wish to do.
09-22-2022 04:23 PM
bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M

Yeah, I bet Kliavkoff and Yormark are paying particularly close attention to these numbers. And Warren is keeping one eye sort of on it, if the numbers significantly exceed expectations then that could be the thing that he needs to convince some of the B1G Presidents to get to "Yes" on some/all of the PN4.
09-22-2022 04:26 PM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Steelers vs Browns tonight. Some big fan bases there, particularly Pittsburgh. Should pull some good ratings.
09-22-2022 04:52 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(09-22-2022 04:52 PM)72Tiger Wrote:  Steelers vs Browns tonight. Some big fan bases there, particularly Pittsburgh. Should pull some good ratings.

They have a pretty good schedule
09-22-2022 04:53 PM
Advertisement

e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
I decided to see if my wife setup prime video on our tv, turns out she has. The whole process was simple as hell to get to:

Click "Amazon Prime" button on my remote
Click her profile
Click first thing (since it's TNF on the bar)

One hell of an easy process, especially with the actual button built into the remote (only prime and netflix have their own buttons on mine). Quicker process than getting ESPN+ on the TV here. This would be a great streaming solution for a conference.
09-22-2022 06:09 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
They did have more signups for the free month of Prime than at any day befoe, including Black Fridays, Cyber Mondays, or Prime Days. Their retention rate with actually billing those folks next month is more important to Amazon and shareholders.
09-22-2022 06:15 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis

I agree. That mental barrier is probably the last thing remaining to get college conferences open to the idea. Once that gets torn down, then we likely see more conference movement which I think with be with the B1G first and foremost. The Big 12 might have a shot though I doubt they would be a priority.

(09-22-2022 03:15 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I thought the numbers would be lower. I was wrong.

Same even though I watched the game.

(09-22-2022 04:23 PM)chess Wrote:  Fox went from the weekend network with the Simpsons to a network that competed with ABC, NBC, and CBS when they added the NFL.

For Amazon, this is the link to whatever they wish to do.

The good ole days. Simpsons, Married with Children, America's Most Wanted and Cops are the ones I remember the most.

(09-22-2022 06:09 PM)e-parade Wrote:  I decided to see if my wife setup prime video on our tv, turns out she has. The whole process was simple as hell to get to:

Click her profile

One hell of an easy process, especially with the actual button built into the remote (only prime and netflix have their own buttons on mine). Quicker process than getting ESPN+ on the TV here. This would be a great streaming solution for a conference.

Yeah they did a good job with the ease of access.
09-22-2022 06:27 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(09-22-2022 06:09 PM)e-parade Wrote:  I decided to see if my wife setup prime video on our tv, turns out she has. The whole process was simple as hell to get to:

Click her profile

IT would. The question is, is it a great deal for Amazon? If there aren't enough diehard PAC-12 fans to get the P12n on basic cable, are there enough to goose Amazon Prime subscriptions, or to drive viewership to Prime Video?

(Same questions apply for the Big 12, Big East, G5 leagues with expiring deals, etc etc)
09-22-2022 06:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.