Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oregon fans display religious bigotry
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Oregon fans display religious bigotry
https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-sp...ingling-on

"...@uoregon
The University of Oregon sincerely apologizes for an offensive and disgraceful chant coming from the student section during yesterday’s game against Brigham Young University. 1/2
September 18th 2022

Ugly chant steals the show at Autzen Stadium
Oregon’s terrific win over BYU on Saturday was overshadowed by a disappointing and disgraceful development. Some fans in the student section at Autzen Stadium broke into a “F—k the Mormons” chant during the game.

I didn’t hear it from the press box. But the student section is located completely across the stadium from where media sit. As much as I’d like to be writing more today about a sterling defensive effort from UO, great play calling, and a terrific performance from quarterback Bo Nix, that ugly chant has now stolen the show.

It’s an example of how a thin stripe of fans can turn what should have been a wonderful day into something disappointing and offensive. It’s become a national news story.

The university apologized to BYU, calling the chants “offensive and disgraceful....”"

Will they ban the students from the games?
09-19-2022 10:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
RE: Oregon fans display religious bigotry
(09-19-2022 10:33 PM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-sp...ingling-on

"...@uoregon
The University of Oregon sincerely apologizes for an offensive and disgraceful chant coming from the student section during yesterday’s game against Brigham Young University. 1/2
September 18th 2022

Oregon’s terrific win over BYU on Saturday was overshadowed by a disappointing and disgraceful development. Some fans in the student section at Autzen Stadium broke into a “F—k the Mormons” chant during the game.

I didn’t hear it from the press box. But the student section is located completely across the stadium from where media sit. As much as I’d like to be writing more today about a sterling defensive effort from UO, great play calling, and a terrific performance from quarterback Bo Nix, that ugly chant has now stolen the show.

It’s an example of how a thin stripe of fans can turn what should have been a wonderful day into something disappointing and offensive. It’s become a national news story.

The university apologized to BYU, calling the chants “offensive and disgraceful....”"

Since the new SCOTUS majority said it’s cool to effectively force high school kids to be coerced into adult-orchestrated school prayer, lest we violate the rights of every would be dipshit Dabo wannabe, then I for one fully support the Oregon student body for exercising their religious right to pillory the most absurd version of Christianity in public. BYU and Baylor deserve each other.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2022 11:22 PM by CarlSmithCenter.)
09-19-2022 11:20 PM
andybible1995 Offline
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
(09-19-2022 10:33 PM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-sp...ingling-on

"...@uoregon
September 18th 2022

No. None of the fans that took part in the chant will be banned. They would do the exact same thing if they played Notre Dame, and Liberty, although I doubt they would play Liberty in the first place. But if they did, they would escalate their bigotry by assaulting fans from Liberty and by calling them Nazi's or whatever the insult of the day is.

Oregon is far left liberal state. Portland is the unofficial national headquarters for Antifa since all the riots have been taking place there over the last few years. The governor and the University of Oregon attempting a meely mouth apology for what happened is pathetic. They are all just as stupid and evil as the fans who led the chant. They hate religious people, except Muslims, because we all know what would happen if Muslims were given that treatment.

And the worse part of it is, many of the citizens in Oregon think it's ok to do this. They are just as stupid and evil as the students, the governor, and the officials at the university.

Oregon is a forever lost state, just like California and Washington.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 10:49 AM by andybible1995.)
09-19-2022 11:21 PM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

(09-19-2022 11:21 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  

"...@uoregon
September 18th 2022

No. None of the fans that took part in the chant will be banned. They would do the exact same thing if they played Notre Dame, and Liberty, although I doubt they would play Liberty in the first place. But if they did, they would escalate their bigotry by assaulting fans from Liberty and by calling them Nazi's or whatever the insult of the day is.

Oregon is far left liberal state. Portland is the unofficial national headquarters for Antifa since all the riots their have been taking place over the last few years. The governor and the University of Oregon attempting a meely mouth apology for what happened is pathetic. They are all just as stupid and evil as the fans who led the chant. They hate religious people, except Muslims, because we all know what would happen if Muslims were given that treatment.

And the worse part of it is, many of the citizens in Oregon think it's ok to do this. They are just as stupid and evil as the students, the governor, and the officials at the university.

[Image: insanely-idiotic-things-ive-ever-heard.gif]

The West Coast rules. Being vocal in one’s dislike for Liberty, Baylor, BYU, or Notre Dame isn’t necessarily bigotry, especially if you dislike sexual assault, racism, or the negligent homicide of student volunteers.
09-19-2022 11:32 PM
NJMark Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers
(09-19-2022 11:20 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  

"...@uoregon
September 18th 2022

Since the new SCOTUS majority said it’s cool to effectively force high school kids to be coerced into adult-orchestrated school prayer, lest we violate the rights of every would be dipshit Dabo wannabe, then I for one fully support the Oregon student body for exercising their religious right to pillory the most absurd version of Christianity in public. BYU and Baylor deserve each other.

In exactly what case did they rule that?
09-19-2022 11:32 PM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

(09-19-2022 11:32 PM)NJMark Wrote:  
(09-19-2022 11:20 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  

"...@uoregon
September 18th 2022

In exactly what case did they rule that?

Article on SCOTUS decision
09-19-2022 11:35 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
I am not naive-- but I still don't get the reason/need for this chant. Drunk? Why not chant FOR Oregon or at the worst BYU s***s!

IMO students should be banned for one game-- this would show the University is serious.

I say these opinions even though I am one of those who thinks political correctness has gone too far.

But this was just very disrespectful.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2022 11:40 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
09-19-2022 11:36 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs

"...@uoregon
September 18th 2022

Oregon is far left liberal state. Portland is the unofficial national headquarters for Antifa since all the riots their have been taking place over the last few years. The governor and the University of Oregon attempting a meely mouth apology for what happened is pathetic. They are all just as stupid and evil as the fans who led the chant. They hate religious people, except Muslims, because we all know what would happen if Muslims were given that treatment.

There's all kinds of stupid on message boards, but you just blew most of that out of the water. Solid work, friend.
09-19-2022 11:41 PM
andybible1995 Offline
All American

(09-19-2022 11:41 PM)geef Wrote:  

"...@uoregon
September 18th 2022

There's all kinds of stupid on message boards, but you just blew most of that out of the water. Solid work, friend.

So in other words, you're condoning what happened. Thanks for proving my point. Also, I'm not your friend. Your sarcastic humor will not work with me.
09-20-2022 12:03 AM
andybible1995 Offline
All American

(09-19-2022 11:32 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  

"...@uoregon
September 18th 2022

[Image: insanely-idiotic-things-ive-ever-heard.gif]

The West Coast rules. Being vocal in one’s dislike for Liberty, Baylor, BYU, or Notre Dame isn’t necessarily bigotry, especially if you dislike sexual assault, racism, or the negligent homicide of student volunteers.

The West Coast may be a cool place.for you, but for many people, especially those who have left California, it isn't. I will agree that Baylor has gotten off easy from the homicide investigation and the sexual assault investigation, and should have received harsher punishment that didn't involve any mention of the death penalty. But, screaming racism has gotten so old to the point where it doesn't really have that much of an effect anymore. Has it ever occurred to you that there may be some decent people that go to these universities that just want to get a degree to get ahead in life, and that they aren't associated with the people who run these universities?
09-20-2022 12:07 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

(09-20-2022 12:03 AM)andybible1995 Wrote:  

"...@uoregon
September 18th 2022

So in other words, you're condoning what happened. Thanks for proving my point. Also, I'm not your friend. Your sarcastic humor will not work with me.

Sarcastic? Humor? No, I was just pointing out your awful post. Carry on.
09-20-2022 12:08 AM
Advertisement

andybible1995 Offline
All American

(09-20-2022 12:08 AM)geef Wrote:  

"...@uoregon
September 18th 2022

Once again, you've proven my point. You called what I posted stupid. That means you're defending the actions of the students.
09-20-2022 12:09 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

(09-20-2022 12:09 AM)andybible1995 Wrote:  
(09-19-2022 11:21 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  No. None of the fans that took part in the chant will be banned. They would do the exact same thing if they played Notre Dame, and Liberty, although I doubt they would play Liberty in the first place. But if they did, they would escalate their bigotry by assaulting fans from Liberty and by calling them Nazi's or whatever the insult of the day is.

Once again, you've proven my point. You called what I posted stupid. That means you're defending the actions of the students.

Your post rivaled the stupidity of the students' chant, wouldn't you agree?
09-20-2022 12:16 AM
andybible1995 Offline
All American

(09-20-2022 12:16 AM)geef Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 12:09 AM)andybible1995 Wrote:  
(09-19-2022 11:41 PM)geef Wrote:  There's all kinds of stupid on message boards, but you just blew most of that out of the water. Solid work, friend.

Your post rivaled the stupidity of the students' chant, wouldn't you agree?

Not at all. There are people who would read what I said that would agree with me, either based on similar opinion, or by experiencing life in Oregon. However, they would not be inclined to respond because they would have to deal with nonsensical world salad responses from you.
09-20-2022 12:23 AM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams

"...@uoregon
September 18th 2022

Agree that it was a brainless, childish chant. If they have a legitimate beef with BYU's conservative politics, they could have come up with a much more intelligent chant that would have made the crowd think about their viewpoint. A humorous/sarcastic anti-BYU chant(s), combined with appropriate (not profanity-laced) anti-BYU protest signs or roll-outs would have been more acceptable and would have made their point.

Better still, they could have done something much more creative. They could have organized a whole section of students to dress up in rainbow colors, with gay flags flying, etc. Throw in a few gay "Queens" for shock value, and some bright balloons, and it could have been quite hilarious - yet would have made the point clearly.

What they did instead was to make themselves look like idiots.

Banning the known offenders from attending any more home fb games this year would seem like an appropriate response. In addition, the University should probably implement some kind of educational project to educate the student body about the importance of religious tolerance.

I'd like to see U. Oregon do a special speakers' series, in which they invite a few esteemed Mormons to participate in scholarly (non-political) presentations on campus, to make it clear that there are some wonderful Mormons in this world, just like there are wonderful people of all faiths (and non-faiths).

At the same time, I'm wondering what may have triggered this anti-Mormon outburst. Perhaps the most likely explanation is that there's a general revulsion of Mormonism on campus, due to Mormon discrimination/bigotry toward gays, lesbians, and trans-gendered people. Perhaps the students who exploded with their angry chants were frustrated because they objected to Oregon scheduling BYU, in the first place.

If the student body at Oregon doesn't want to compete in athletics vs. BYU, they have every right to petition the university or demand a cessation of scheduling of games vs. BYU. No one should force them to have contacts of any kind with a university that promotes bigotry, in the form of anti-LGBT discrimination.

I, for one, strongly support LGBT rights, and would be very strongly opposed to my alma mater scheduling any sport event vs. BYU, Liberty, or any other institution that has anti-LGBT policies and institutionalized discrimination against such people.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 01:08 AM by Milwaukee.)
09-20-2022 01:03 AM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams

SUGGESTION: PLEASE CONSIDER REVISING THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD TO:

"GROUP OF OREGON FANS DISPLAYS RELIGIOUS BIGOTRY."

The way the title is currently written, it suggests that all of the Oregon fans displayed religious bigotry, when the truth is that a fairly limited number of them did so.

To attempt to tar the entire student body at the U. of Oregon with an accusation of hate speech could itself be a type of stereotyping and thus, bigotry.

. . . .

btw, I found this video, which shows some of the chanting. There may be others.

The way it appears to me, the chanting may have been done by a relatively small group of (50-100) obnoxious morons.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 01:21 AM by Milwaukee.)
09-20-2022 01:16 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
The Duke volleyball player that made up the story about racial slurs during her volleyball game should be jailed.
While her ruse wasn't as elaborate as Jussie Smollett's, she should be punished.
09-20-2022 04:36 AM
lofi Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
I wish this thread was on the MAGA board.
Politics ruin everything.
09-20-2022 05:38 AM
natibeast2.0 Offline
Banned

I Root For: -
Non opportune time while also whoring yourself to the Big Ten. Big Ten is a conference of class and this isn't good in that regard. 05-stirthepot
09-20-2022 05:46 AM
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(09-20-2022 01:03 AM)Milwaukee Wrote:  

"...@uoregon
September 18th 2022

Agree that it was a brainless, childish chant. If they have a legitimate beef with BYU's conservative politics, they could have come up with a much more intelligent chant that would have made the crowd think about their viewpoint. A humorous/sarcastic anti-BYU chant(s), combined with appropriate (not profanity-laced) anti-BYU protest signs or roll-outs would have been more acceptable and would have made their point.

Better still, they could have done something much more creative. They could have organized a whole section of students to dress up in rainbow colors, with gay flags flying, etc. Throw in a few gay "Queens" for shock value, and some bright balloons, and it could have been quite hilarious - yet would have made the point clearly.

What they did instead was to make themselves look like idiots.

Banning the known offenders from attending any more home fb games this year would seem like an appropriate response. In addition, the University should probably implement some kind of educational project to educate the student body about the importance of religious tolerance.

I'd like to see U. Oregon do a special speakers' series, in which they invite a few esteemed Mormons to participate in scholarly (non-political) presentations on campus, to make it clear that there are some wonderful Mormons in this world, just like there are wonderful people of all faiths (and non-faiths).

At the same time, I'm wondering what may have triggered this anti-Mormon outburst. Perhaps the most likely explanation is that there's a general revulsion of Mormonism on campus, due to Mormon discrimination/bigotry toward gays, lesbians, and trans-gendered people. Perhaps the students who exploded with their angry chants were frustrated because they objected to Oregon scheduling BYU, in the first place.

If the student body at Oregon doesn't want to compete in athletics vs. BYU, they have every right to petition the university or demand a cessation of scheduling of games vs. BYU. No one should force them to have contacts of any kind with a university that promotes bigotry, in the form of anti-LGBT discrimination.

I, for one, strongly support LGBT rights, and would be very strongly opposed to my alma mater scheduling any sport event vs. BYU, Liberty, or any other institution that has anti-LGBT policies and institutionalized discrimination against such people.

I can't find it, but buried somewhere in these posts is a news story about a BYU fan shouting racist remarks at a volleyball match vs Duke. I tend to believe it was in retaliation for that incident. Doesn't excuse it, but I think that's what led to it.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/14/112297738...cial-slurs
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2022 06:07 AM by DawgNBama.)
09-20-2022 05:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.