Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bengals-Steelers
Bookmark and Share
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Bengals-Steelers
Burrow may not make it through this first game without getting hurt. The Bengals offensive line is having trouble.

The starters could have used some real playing time in the preseason.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2022 12:38 PM by bearcatfan.)
09-11-2022 12:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCBearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
RE: Bengals-Steelers
disaster so far

09-11-2022 12:36 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Jonah Williams is getting destroyed

09-11-2022 12:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Burrow does not look good. He has a bit of an excuse due to his appendectomy.

09-11-2022 01:06 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Nice to see the improvement in the second half. This looks like it could go to the wire now.

09-11-2022 02:12 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

The Bengals did everything they could to lose the game....and did.

09-11-2022 03:47 PM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Taylor kicking on 3rd down with a backup long snapper is exactly what i talked about with his playing for fgs costing the Bengals games.

09-11-2022 03:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-11-2022 03:50 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Taylor kicking on 3rd down with a backup long snapper is exactly what i talked about with his playing for fgs costing the Bengals games.

The one FG he SHOULD have went for, he didn't. With 8 minutes left in regulation he chose to go for on 4th and 6 instead of trying a FG and only putting them down 3.

He coached like a JV football coach today. Too many coaching mistakes to list. I definitely think he needs to relinquish his play calling duties.

09-11-2022 04:05 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
"We apologize for the unexpected performances by the Bengals in January and February and now return to our originally scheduled program, "All My Bungles," which we join in progress. Do not adjust your set."

09-11-2022 04:53 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(09-11-2022 04:05 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  
(09-11-2022 03:50 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Taylor kicking on 3rd down with a backup long snapper is exactly what i talked about with his playing for fgs costing the Bengals games.

The one FG he SHOULD have went for, he didn't. With 8 minutes left in regulation he chose to go for on 4th and 6 instead of trying a FG and only putting them down 3.

He coached like a JV football coach today. Too many coaching mistakes to list. I definitely think he needs to relinquish his play calling duties.

Very weird game. On a certain level, they definitely deserved to lose, but another it feels like they should have won. I hope this isn't a game they are kicking themselves over as the season winds down.

I agree that coaching was among the many problems they exhibited today, but I'm not sure I have a problem with either of those two plays. Do we know when Harris left the game? I know he was out on the 3rd down FG and I highly suspect he was out for the punt with a little over 8 minutes left.

I get where they were going with the 3rd down FG attempt with the backup snapper. If it's a bad snap, you can hopefully just jump/fall on it and try it again on 4th down. Distance wasn't really the issue and although the kick was eventually missed it was WAY off anyway.

On the punt decision we all want to think Money Mac is always going to be money but that's simply not the case especially on what would have been a 53-yarder (presumably with the backup snapper.) Make it and we're still down 3. Miss it and Pitt gets the ball on their 43 and doesn't need to move it very far to get a FG themselves to put them up by 9 (aka 2 scores) with who knows how little time left. The punt would have looked a lot better had they downed it inside the 5 or 10. Get a 3 and out and we'd be back in business.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2022 05:04 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
09-11-2022 05:03 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

And they should have challenged the TD that was ruled down at the one. Even the CBS review expert said it would have been a TD.

09-11-2022 05:30 PM
Advertisement

Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
It’s fairly simple. Everything played out exactly as they could’ve hoped for. Score with no time left in the 4th quarter. Chance to win on an XP. Missed the XP because the backup snapper executed the snap so poorly even an XP could be blocked. Zac had the data point he needed to make all decisions in OT. Instead of realizing on 1st and 10 from the Steelers 15 that they would have to score a TD to win he thought he was in a different universe where his regular long snapper was still in the game. He played for a FG when that wasn’t even an option.

09-11-2022 06:34 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

One last thing - Out of all of the players on the roster, it's kind of odd that an NFL team can't be prepared to have a capable backup center/snapper in case the starter gets hurt.

09-11-2022 06:40 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Coog'd it.

09-11-2022 08:00 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(09-11-2022 05:30 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  And they should have challenged the TD that was ruled down at the one. Even the CBS review expert said it would have been a TD.

Agreed. Big fail by the official and the extended coaching staff responsible for not challenging:

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2022 09:07 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
09-11-2022 08:53 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Meh, ultimately that didn’t matter. Scoring the TD when they did was preferable.

09-11-2022 09:20 PM
Advertisement

RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
I agree. They don't get a ton of time to review that and in real time Chase's body doesn't cross the line. Unless it's immediately obvious just score on the next play on a QB sneak from 6 in. Where Taylor blew this was in overtime I didn't think he coached aggressively enough to have a great chance at scoring a TD in a situation where a gimme FG was no longer a gimmie. Then the punt with 15 seconds left was the difference between a tie and loss. That 1/2 game could end up costing them the division or a wild card spot.

09-12-2022 06:10 AM
BearcatDave Offline
All American

I Root For:
I'll take a close loss in the regular season over one in the playoffs. Hopefully they learned something from this one..

09-12-2022 08:44 AM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I still contend that this play was the difference in the game:

Quote:4th & 6 at PIT 36
(8:23 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass short middle intended for T.Boyd INTERCEPTED by A.Witherspoon at PIT 23. A.Witherspoon to PIT 23 for no gain (S.Perine).

If the Bengals kick (and make) a 46 yd FG there, they are down 3 with 8 minutes left. Their next series they got down to the 2 and went for (and failed) on 4th and 2. Had they kicked the FG earlier, all they needed was a FG there to tie. Their last series was the TD to Chase. Which would have been the game winner had they kicked (and made) the earlier 46 yard FG.

Granted, Harris getting hurt, may have factored into the decision not to try for the 46 yard FG.

09-12-2022 09:53 AM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(09-12-2022 09:53 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  I still contend that this play was the difference in the game:

Quote:4th & 6 at PIT 36
(8:23 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass short middle intended for T.Boyd INTERCEPTED by A.Witherspoon at PIT 23. A.Witherspoon to PIT 23 for no gain (S.Perine).

If the Bengals kick (and make) a 46 yd FG there, they are down 3 with 8 minutes left. Their next series they got down to the 2 and went for (and failed) on 4th and 2. Had they kicked the FG earlier, all they needed was a FG there to tie. Their last series was the TD to Chase. Which would have been the game winner had they kicked (and made) the earlier 46 yard FG.

Granted, Harris getting hurt, may have factored into the decision not to try for the 46 yard FG.

Add 18 yards from the LOS. That would’ve been a 54 yard FG. Not a gimme by any stretch.

09-12-2022 10:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.