GAME DAY INFORMATION FOR BROWN VS TEXAS A&M CC
Saturday, September 10 at 7:00PM
Parking Lots Open - 5:30pm
Doors Open - 6:00pm

GAME DAY INFORMATION FOR RICE VS TEXAS TECH
Sunday, September 11 at 2:00PM
Parking Lots Open - 12:30pm
Doors Open - 1:00pm
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2022 08:44 PM by dragon2owl.)
09-08-2022 08:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dragon2owl Online
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
RE: Volleyball hosting Adidas Invitational I
If anyone wants my ticket to any of the matches (except Rice vs Brown), please PM me.
09-08-2022 08:43 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(09-08-2022 08:43 PM)dragon2owl Wrote:  If anyone wants my ticket to any of the matches (except Rice vs Brown), please PM me.

This weekend should be a good tune-up for next weekend against a very tough Kansas State squad and #17 Creighton. Brown and TAMU-CC should both be blowout sweeps, but Texas Tech on Sunday should be a competitive match. They're currently 6-0 and have beaten a quality Notre Dame team and Georgia-- both on the road.
09-08-2022 09:34 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Typical of Rice to schedule the Brown match at 6:00 to conflict with the ONLY time we have a home Cross Country Meet. It would not have taken too much effort to schedule it at 7:15.

Idiots.
09-08-2022 10:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Texas Tech (7-0) easily sweeps A&M-CC (19, 15, 19). They hit .337 offensively, had 9 services aces and a whopping 13 blocks.

I'd be very disappointed if we don't easily sweep both Brown tonight and A&M-CC tomorrow afternoon. I want to see a more aggressive offense that is in better sync than our last two matches.
09-09-2022 04:38 PM
dragon2owl Online
Heisman

Samojedney is no longer on the roster. So that's 3 players we lost this year that we weren't expecting to. With Shore being the most significant.
09-09-2022 06:22 PM
Advertisement

Texasowl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice University
Why did they leave?Any idea?
(09-09-2022 06:22 PM)dragon2owl Wrote:  Samojedney is no longer on the roster. So that's 3 players we lost this year that we weren't expecting to. With Shore being the most significant.
09-09-2022 07:00 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
(09-09-2022 04:38 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Texas Tech (7-0) easily sweeps A&M-CC (19, 15, 19). They hit .337 offensively, had 9 services aces and a whopping 13 blocks.

I'd be very disappointed if we don't easily sweep both Brown tonight and A&M-CC tomorrow afternoon. I want to see a more aggressive offense that is in better sync than our last two matches.

Rice sweeps Brown by a similar score (19, 18, 15)
09-09-2022 07:41 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(09-09-2022 06:22 PM)dragon2owl Wrote:  Samojedney is no longer on the roster. So that's 3 players we lost this year that we weren't expecting to. With Shore being the most significant.

Shore being the only significant....and Freshman MB Lademi Ogunlana looks really good.
09-09-2022 08:05 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(09-09-2022 07:41 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  
(09-09-2022 04:38 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Texas Tech (7-0) easily sweeps A&M-CC (19, 15, 19). They hit .337 offensively, had 9 services aces and a whopping 13 blocks.

Rice sweeps Brown by a similar score (19, 18, 15)

Not exactly an impressive showing against a weak Brown squad, but at least the offense got back on track (though still far too many "love taps" vs. aggressive kills for my liking). Second consecutive match Anota was unstoppable (13 kills, 2 errors, 17 attempts, .647), and both Bichelmeyer (12 kills, 1 error, 21 attempts, .524) and Courtley (12 kills, 2 errors, 25 attempts, .480). On the negative side, Maruska continues to make far too many unforced errors, which really is no longer acceptable this being her 3rd year. However, she is playing good defense; better than Nicole, IMO. On the really negative side, our service game is pathetic-- 11 service errors to only 1 ace. It's what kept Brown in the match. Also, only one block in each of the first two sets. That's not going to cut it against a Top 50 team.

Overall, we hit .407 as a team and held Brown to .140, thanks largely to stellar defense in the 3rd set when we held Brown to .040 hitting and had 4 blocks.

Tomorrow against A&M-CC should be even easier, then a real test against Tech on Sunday, when we're going to have to bring our A game.
09-09-2022 08:14 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Here's Genny's post-match assessment, pretty much in line with my observations above...

Quote:Postgame Reaction - Head Coach Genny Volpe
"I'm really pleased with our offensive production today. It was a big goal of ours to be more efficient than we have been and it's something we've been working on. I thought Carly did a great job of balancing the offense and all of her hitters were ready. Anota had an amazing game with some really dynamic kills and she was very tough to stop and I think that opened up some of the other attackers as well. We'll need to be a little better with our block the rest of the weekend, as well as our serving. We can be proud of this performance though because Brown is a really strong team who won the Ivy League last year and they gave us some trouble in certain areas tonight."
09-09-2022 09:29 PM
Advertisement

Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(09-08-2022 10:46 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  Typical of Rice to schedule the Brown match at 6:00 to conflict with the ONLY time we have a home Cross Country Meet. It would not have taken too much effort to schedule it at 7:15.

Idiots.

How did the CC meet go this evening?
09-09-2022 09:50 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(09-09-2022 09:50 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  
(09-08-2022 10:46 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  Typical of Rice to schedule the Brown match at 6:00 to conflict with the ONLY time we have a home Cross Country Meet. It would not have taken too much effort to schedule it at 7:15.

Idiots.

How did the CC meet go this evening?

Men and Women both won!
09-09-2022 10:15 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Owls got off to a fast start vs TAMUCC, but then sloppy play has allowed the Islanders to comeback. 12-10 Owls. Genny calls TO.
09-10-2022 03:17 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Owls win 1st set 25-20. Made it a lot harder than it should have been
09-10-2022 03:31 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

After a slow start in the 2nd set, Owls play gets a little crisper. Owls up 20-12. TO Islanders.
09-10-2022 03:50 PM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Owls win 2nd set 25-17.
09-10-2022 03:55 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Owls win 3rd set 25-20.
09-10-2022 04:27 PM
dragon2owl Online
Heisman

Townson has a nice 4-set with over Pitt.
09-10-2022 08:37 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
A second consecutive sweep at hom, but another less than stellar outing against what should have been an overmatched opponent. Offense struggled yet again, and yet again, far too frequent passive playing at the net, choosing to weakly tap the ball over the net while passing up a well positioned kill opportunity. And again our service game is a liability (8 service errors vs. 6 aces, but half of those aces were lucky bounced balls that hit the net a trickled over to the other side). Our blocking game was a bit better than yesterday (not that that took much doing), but it certainly wasn't elite level.

Bichelmeyer had a second consecutive strong outing (8 kills, 0 errors, 17 attempts, .647, 2 blocks) and Courtley was solid (8 kills, 2 errors, 22 attempts, .273, 3 blocks), but that was pretty much our offense. Anota had an quiet day, attempting only 10 attacks, and Maruska was once again error-prone-- mostly unforced (5 kills, 4 errors, 18 attempts, .056), but she did play excellent defense (11 digs). Here's Ginny quandry as I see it-- our best two outside hitters are Bichelmeyer and Courtley, but both are liabilities defensively and, consequently, have to be regularly subbed out during rotation. These two are also better blockers. Maruska is frustratingly inefficient on offense, despite the obvious talent, but contributes strongly to our defensive game and, consequently, plays the majority of minutes. I know Ginny is a big believer in balanced offense, but the solution could be to cut down on the number of kill attempts for Sahara, and give more-- much more-- to Anota. (BTW, the true Freshman MB is a Adunleke look-alike on office. She's going to be a good one, and Ginny has been increasing her minutes in recent matches.

We have to stop playing down to the level of the competition. We play like we did today and yesterday against Tech tomorrow, and we're going to get blown out. They are now 8-0, made very short work of Brown today (who gave us a good fight yesterday), and beat both Notre Dame (and post-season club last year) and Georgia on the road.

BTW, after what I gather was a good student turnout for our home opener on Tuesday, there have been virtually no one in the student section the past two matches. It would certainly help if they show up and support the team tomorrow.
09-10-2022 09:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2022 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.