Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coogs don't look good at UTSA
Bookmark and Share
The WEST is the BEST Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
You knew the RoadRuinners were waiting for Houston. But jeeezzz.....
09-03-2022 04:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: Coogs don't look good at UTSA
Great comeback by Coogs to tie the game and then get the win!

Two great teams! UTSA is for real. New players and coaches and they look better than last year.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2022 06:42 PM by The WEST is the BEST.)
09-03-2022 06:38 PM
tmoney86 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Houston
Okay we were favored by 4, on the road, against a team returning their offense and our defense to a big ole fat fart tonight.

UTSA will win double digit games this year and this will be viewed in our favor at the end of our season.
09-03-2022 07:08 PM
Special Teams

I Root For:
(09-03-2022 07:08 PM)tmoney86 Wrote:  Okay, we were favored by 4, on the road, against a team returning their offense and our defense to a big ole fat fart tonight.

UTSA will win double-digit games this year and this will be viewed in our favor at the end of our season.

The first game of the season was jitters for both teams. This may have been the highest-ranked team to play at the Alamo Dome. And UTSA had marked this game as the bar for the 2022 season. All in all the final score is what was expected - a close game. Great recovery by the Coogs. Let's see how UH does against the Raiders next week. That stadium in Lubbock will be packed waiting for the Coogs.
09-03-2022 08:41 PM
HornFrogFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TCU
I live in San Antonio and this one was absolutely circled on UTSA's calendar. They were doing all they could to get as many people into the Alamodome as possible for this game.

No offense to our UH friends, but I was pulling for the home team in this one a little. But good game to everyone involved. I think both teams will have good seasons this year.
09-04-2022 10:57 AM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(09-03-2022 08:41 PM)The WEST is the BEST Wrote:  
(09-03-2022 07:08 PM)tmoney86 Wrote:  Okay, we were favored by 4, on the road, against a team returning their offense and our defense to a big ole fat fart tonight.

UTSA will win double-digit games this year and this will be viewed in our favor at the end of our season.

The first game of the season was jitters for both teams. This may have been the highest-ranked team to play at the Alamo Dome. And UTSA had marked this game as the bar for the 2022 season. All in all the final score is what was expected - a close game. Great recovery by the Coogs. Let's see how UH does against the Raiders next week. That stadium in Lubbock will be packed waiting for the Coogs.

We hosted #13 Oklahoma State in 2013 (3rd year of our program). Despite Houston cracking the top 25 in the preseason rankings, there really wasn't any one game definitively marked as the bar for this season. Congrats on the win. Great game!
09-04-2022 11:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Holgarson epitomizes "Coogin It"
09-04-2022 01:21 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
(09-04-2022 01:21 PM)doss2 Wrote:  Holgarson epitomizes "Coogin It"

Except he won so…

Sent from the Warp via the ruinous powers of Chaos!
09-04-2022 02:46 PM
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
12-2 team beat a 12-2 Conference Champ. UTSA is very very good team. First game for both teams who wanted the W badly. Happy to get the W on their home turf. On to TT
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2022 03:05 PM by BIgCatonProwl.)
09-04-2022 03:04 PM
Attackcoog Online

Yup. UTSA is a well coached team with a nice home field advantage. Its very hard to win on the road. My view is any road win is a good win---especially in the first game of the season when teams are most likely to still be mistake prone and the bugs are not yet worked out of the offensive and defensive schemes.
09-04-2022 04:53 PM
bear2be2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(09-04-2022 04:53 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Yup. UTSA is a well coached team with a nice home field advantage. Its very hard to win on the road. My view is any road win is a good win---especially in the first game of the season when teams are most likely to still be mistake prone and the bugs are not yet worked out of the offensive and defensive schemes.
Jeff Traylor is a badass. I hope he stays at UTSA for a while, but I'll surprised if he's there for more than another couple of seasons at the most. That guy's got rockets attached to his shoes.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2022 07:58 PM by bear2be2.)
09-04-2022 07:58 PM
Advertisement

Satchel1906 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Texas Tech
He ignored Tech’s interest in him. Decided to wait for the UT job to open up next year.
09-04-2022 08:47 PM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies
(09-04-2022 11:06 AM)Volkmar Wrote:  

We hosted #13 Oklahoma State in 2013 (3rd year of our program). Despite Houston cracking the top 25 in the preseason rankings, there really wasn't any one game definitively marked as the bar for this season. Congrats on the win. Great game!
As young uns like to say "that's cap". You could tell by the demeanour of Coach Traylor during his conference that this game was very meaningful for the team.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
09-05-2022 08:52 AM
Volkmar Offline
All American

(09-05-2022 08:52 AM)uhmump95 Wrote:  

As young uns like to say "that's cap". You could tell by the demeanour of Coach Traylor during his conference that this game was very meaningful for the team.

Anyone who loses a home opener in the way this one was lost (3OT) will have the same demeanor. Add in the fact that one of our team leaders (RT Makai Hart) who was injured in the 2nd quarter will be out for an extended time, and I'm sure it dampened his feelings even more.

We lost two starting offensive linemen in our first game at Illinois last year and had to play musical chairs with our O-line the rest of the year. We didn't want a repeat of that to start this season also, especially with games at Army and Texas the next couple weeks.
09-05-2022 01:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coogaholic Offline
2nd String

I Root For: 3rd Ward Coogs
(09-05-2022 01:37 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  

Anyone who loses a home opener in the way this one was lost (3OT) will have the same demeanor. Add in the fact that one of our team leaders (RT Makai Hart) who was injured in the 2nd quarter will be out for an extended time, and I'm sure it dampened his feelings even more.

We lost two starting offensive linemen in our first game at Illinois last year and had to play musical chairs with our O-line the rest of the year. We didn't want a repeat of that to start this season also, especially with games at Army and Texas the next couple weeks.

LOL come on man That would have been the biggest win for your program thus far. Watch his post game interview as well. You can hear it in his voice
09-05-2022 03:00 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

(09-05-2022 03:00 PM)Coogaholic Wrote:  
(09-03-2022 08:41 PM)The WEST is the BEST Wrote:  The first game of the season was jitters for both teams. This may have been the highest-ranked team to play at the Alamo Dome. And UTSA had marked this game as the bar for the 2022 season. All in all the final score is what was expected - a close game. Great recovery by the Coogs. Let's see how UH does against the Raiders next week. That stadium in Lubbock will be packed waiting for the Coogs.

LOL come on man That would have been the biggest win for your program thus far. Watch his post game interview as well. You can hear it in his voice

Well, we've beaten you before, and in Houston. I can still see how that argument can be made though, but only because you guys went into the game ranked and we have yet to beat a ranked program. Still, it was a preseason ranking, which isn't quite the same as being ranked two or three weeks in.

I think he also really felt we should've won that game though, and let it get away. He mentioned how big the penalty was that we got for having 12 men on the field. Some feel that was a turning point in the game. We were up 21-7 with a couple minutes left in the 3rd, you guys had a 4th down and short on your 30-something yard line and went for it. We stuffed y'all and it looked as though we were about to take over, already in FG range, and potentially go into the 4th with a 24-7 or 28-7 lead. Turned out our return man was still deep down the field, expecting a punt, and he got off the field too late. I've been a season ticket holder since year one for our program, and that's the first time we've ever done that.

We still had other chances to win it though, and chances to keep y'all from winning it, and couldn't get it done, so you guys earned it regardless.
09-05-2022 05:13 PM
Advertisement

Coogaholic Offline
2nd String

I Root For: 3rd Ward Coogs
(09-05-2022 05:13 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(09-04-2022 11:06 AM)Volkmar Wrote:  We hosted #13 Oklahoma State in 2013 (3rd year of our program). Despite Houston cracking the top 25 in the preseason rankings, there really wasn't any one game definitively marked as the bar for this season. Congrats on the win. Great game!

Well, we've beaten you before, and in Houston. I can still see how that argument can be made though, but only because you guys went into the game ranked and we have yet to beat a ranked program. Still, it was a preseason ranking, which isn't quite the same as being ranked two or three weeks in.

I think he also really felt we should've won that game though, and let it get away. He mentioned how big the penalty was that we got for having 12 men on the field. Some feel that was a turning point in the game. We were up 21-7 with a couple minutes left in the 3rd, you guys had a 4th down and short on your 30-something yard line and went for it. We stuffed y'all and it looked as though we were about to take over, already in FG range, and potentially go into the 4th with a 24-7 or 28-7 lead. Turned out our return man was still deep down the field, expecting a punt, and he got off the field too late. I've been a season ticket holder since year one for our program, and that's the first time we've ever done that.

We still had other chances to win it though, and chances to keep y'all from winning it, and couldn't get it done, so you guys earned it regardless.

Yall beat us in the Tony Levine era nine years ago when there was no expectations for our program nationally and still that win meant everything for your fanbase. Come on man. Shoulda Coulda Woulda. We played our worst 4 quarters and still found a way to win. Yall played your best and still found a way to lose in your stadium and on the day yall raised your CUSA championship banner. That game was everything for yall.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2022 11:27 PM by Coogaholic.)
09-05-2022 11:25 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

(09-04-2022 11:06 AM)Volkmar Wrote:  We hosted #13 Oklahoma State in 2013 (3rd year of our program). Despite Houston cracking the top 25 in the preseason rankings, there really wasn't any one game definitively marked as the bar for this season. Congrats on the win. Great game!

Going into this game I thought houston would win by two TDs, but damn it was as decided on the last frickin play !, Tim brando said yesterday on sic’em365 that Harris should be in the Heisman race and I think so too
09-06-2022 07:32 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Week one is always a mess, you never know what you will get. Only thing that matters is you get the win. UH did that against a decent G5 team. Hopefully you work out the kinks and move forward.
09-06-2022 07:33 AM
Volkmar Offline
All American

(09-05-2022 11:25 PM)Coogaholic Wrote:  
(09-05-2022 08:52 AM)uhmump95 Wrote:  As young uns like to say "that's cap". You could tell by the demeanour of Coach Traylor during his conference that this game was very meaningful for the team.

Yall beat us in the Tony Levine era nine years ago when there was no expectations for our program nationally and still that win meant everything for your fanbase. Come on man. Shoulda Coulda Woulda. We played our worst 4 quarters and still found a way to win. Yall played your best and still found a way to lose in your stadium and on the day yall raised your CUSA championship banner. That game was everything for yall.

1) Beat you in the Tony Levine era when there were no expectations for your program nationally? That's a "shoulda coulda woulda" right there. It's not as though we had any expectations either. Nice excuse, with the history UH has, for losing at home to a team in the 4th year of our football program, on the day you christened your new stadium. No credit given to us there by you.

2) You played the worst 4 quarters and we played the best 4 quarters and you still won? Seriously? First of all, NO ONE plays their best 4 quarters in the first game of the season. It's sad that I even have to explain that to you. And once again, you don't wanna give us any credit. Wouldn't surprise me if you're one of those fans who thought it was gonna be a fairly easy win.

3) Let's not talk about finding ways to lose when "Coogin' it" is a motto associated with your school, not ours.

4) And I wasn't making excuses for the loss with my remarks. You're the one who brought up Coach Traylor's press conference remarks, and I was trying to explain to you what I believe Coach Traylor was thinking. I've listened to the man speak every week for over 2 years now, and was giving you my take based on what I've gathered about him and his personality during that time.

In fact, far from making excuses, the first thing I did on the AAC board was to say the better team won. You can go back and check it. I said the same thing on our own page (rowdytalk.com). You can check that also. I also said on our website that I felt the turning point was when your defense batted the ball in the air and intercepted it, setting you up for that tying touchdown, not the 12-man penalty. That's another one you can check me on. Unlike you apparently, I make it a point to do my best to be objective and thoughtful in my remarks on fan pages, and give credit where credit is due.

5) The better team did win, but UH is only better by the slightest of margins right now, and you're in error if you think otherwise. We have a rematch next year in Houston, your first game as a P5. You may win that one also, but that's gonna be every bit as tough a game for you guys as this one was, and not because we happened to catch you on your worst day when we were on our best, but because we're actually a good football team.
09-06-2022 08:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.