Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ready of Not, Here We Go
Bookmark and Share
falconplucker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Ready of Not, Here We Go
Toledo seems to go from one extreme to another, as far as nonconference opponents go. Toledo will go from LIU, to one of the perennial worst FBS programs in UMass, to OSU, and finish with one of the best Mountain West programs in San Diego State. The Rockets may be pretty hard to gauge, until the MAC opener against Central Michigan. At a minimum, Toledo will be 2-2. Perhaps, they could pull off a west coast upset. This is a Toledo team with maybe the best front 7 off all time on defense, and an offense full of question marks. It's not impossible for Toledo to become a championship team. IF the offensive line can reverse a trend of poor blocking and repeated attempts of leading the nation in penalties, it can happen. If the line holds, I feel like a combination of power running with Boone and the threat of a run or pass with Finn, could really open the offense. I'm not sure Toledo has a go-to-receiver, but the threat of a back and quarterback combination could allow one to develop.

If not, Toledo finishes in a 2nd or 3rd in the West, and Candle leaves.
08-31-2022 09:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
RE: Ready of Not, Here We Go
(08-31-2022 09:33 PM)falconplucker Wrote:  Toledo seems to go from one extreme to another, as far as nonconference opponents go. Toledo will go from LIU, to one of the perennial worst FBS programs in UMass, to OSU, and finish with⁶ one of the best Mountain West programs in San Diego State. The Rockets may be pretty hard to gauge, until the MAC opener against Central Michigan. At a minimum, Toledo will be 2-2. Perhaps, they could pull off a west coast upset. This is a Toledo team with maybe the best front 7 off all time on defense, and an offense full of question marks. It's not impossible for Toledo to become a championship team. IF the offensive line can reverse a trend of poor blocking and repeated attempts of leading the nation in penalties, it can happen. If the line holds, I feel like a combination of power running with Boone and the threat of a run or pass with Finn, could really open the offense. I'm not sure Toledo has a go-to-receiver, but the threat of a back and quarterback combination could allow one to develop.

If not, Toledo finishes in a 2nd or 3rd in the West, and Candle leaves.

Campbell has been mentioned for the Nebraska job, probably late season and Penn State in two seasons. Iowa State will be open. Wouldn't be surprised if the Rocket win the MAC to see Candle offered the Cyclones HC job.That would be two MACC, something that not many Rocket FB HC's have not achieved.
08-31-2022 09:55 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think Newton can be a go to receiver. he's dynamite in the open field and seems to have pretty good hands. not sure about his route running, but if Finn and the power run game is good he won't need to run perfect routes to get open. that said, I'm wait and see on this football program outside of the defense. everything else: the offense, special teams, penalties and inability to close out many big games kind of spoils the fact that we have very good MAC talent and will always have a winning league record based on that alone. super excited to watch the defensive line and box. could be the best Dline and LB units in a long time. LIU's QB better run
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2022 01:50 AM by pono.)
09-01-2022 01:49 AM
UTfanBGalum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT
I think the difference between a good and bad season hinges on Finn avoidiing injury or not. He can mitigate much of the issue of below avg O-line play, but it increases odds of injury. QB injury is always a big factor in season outcome of course but I think this year it is more of an issue and could even make the diff between first and last place.
09-01-2022 02:05 AM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-01-2022 02:05 AM)UTfanBGalum Wrote:  I think the difference between a good and bad season hinges on Finn avoidiing injury or not. He can mitigate much of the issue of below avg O-line play, but it increases odds of injury. QB injury is always a big factor in season outcome of course but I think this year it is more of an issue and could even make the diff between first and last place.

Finn seems to have a better sense than our last running QB, when to run, slide, avoid... As long as he doesn't try to do it all, I think he'll be ok. Fairly new set of receivers isn't it?

As far as schedule, I imagine it was planned that way, weaker opponent before OSU. What does that mean if we get a large lead? Continue to practice the first team or sit them early to keep them injury free?
09-01-2022 06:24 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(09-01-2022 06:24 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(09-01-2022 02:05 AM)UTfanBGalum Wrote:  I think the difference between a good and bad season hinges on Finn avoidiing injury or not. He can mitigate much of the issue of below avg O-line play, but it increases odds of injury. QB injury is always a big factor in season outcome of course but I think this year it is more of an issue and could even make the diff between first and last place.

Finn seems to have a better sense than our last running QB, when to run, slide, avoid... As long as he doesn't try to do it all, I think he'll be ok. Fairly new set of receivers isn't it?

As far as schedule, I imagine it was planned that way, weaker opponent before OSU. What does that mean if we get a large lead? Continue to practice the first team or sit them early to keep them injury free?

Given what happens during a season, I think depth is very important. If our first team is still on the field mid-way through the 3rd quarter, that’s a bad sign, imo.
09-01-2022 06:35 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

I have concerns about entire offense to be honest.

The 2 line injuries are not good. Those losses really sting. Kendall Major will be pushed to his limit and beyond. I will be watching him all game tonight from snap accuracy to blocking assignments. So much hinges on him stepping up. He has hardly played at all and would barely qualify for a letterman's jacket yet here he is starting tonight. Ocasio not even listed as back-up as that has dropped to Rogers. Very dangerous situation at C.

Offense must be solid to win consistently. We cannot have multiple collapses like against CSU last year.

Here's hoping the D is all that we anticipate. It's almost a must for this team to be successful.

Where is T. Taylor on depth chart???? he was a major force last season at edge/OLB. Is he injured or in dog house. He's on the roster.

I've been waving red flag about receiver depth and quality since last spring and still am worried. Big plays with deep balls may be rare this year. We must do more than just toss dinks. I expect Turner and Torres to be near top in catch count.

This is a veteran team. Very likely Toledo's most experienced team in 7 years.

I'm still curious how many snaps Gant, Holt, and Boone experience. Their visibility seems lower than expected. I'll need a program to track the players. I used to know all the numbers but not anymore.

Here's to a great season with few injuries for everyone's sake.

Go Rockets !
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2022 08:22 AM by IamN2daRockets!.)
09-01-2022 08:04 AM
Advertisement

Springboromark Offline
All American

Another look at LIU. Derek Green 6-4, 215 may give UT trouble unless we can get a pass rush on him and with this defense I don't see a problem with that. Their TE transfer from Penn State is the real deal. TE Owen Glascoe is considered a NFL prospect. The D must shut him down. He had 36 catches on last season's team and is a first team all conference. They also have WR Justin Weller, transfer from Penn St.

Defensively, OLB Donnie Hardin, transfer from Alabama and DL Michael Thompson, who came in from Oklahoma.
09-01-2022 11:56 AM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Ready of Not, Here We Go
I am most excited for the delay of game, false start and holding penalties. Those signal “fall is here” more than a pumpkin spice latte.
09-01-2022 12:42 PM
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

Might be only one but looking forward to seeing the 3rd string offense.
09-01-2022 12:48 PM
Advertisement

PaulJ Offline
1st String

(09-01-2022 12:42 PM)adunifon Wrote:  I am most excited for the delay of game, false start and holding penalties. Those signal “fall is here” more than a pumpkin spice latte.

03-lmfao
09-01-2022 12:49 PM
Kid Rocket Offline
Bench Warmer

LIU in way too deep, next week with Don Martin head coaching will be more interesting. Go UT. 52-6
09-01-2022 01:07 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

I don't know about that score, how about 37-14
09-01-2022 02:14 PM
Advertisement

adunifon Offline
Heisman

Ready of Not, Here We Go
(09-01-2022 02:14 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  I don't know about that score, how about 37-14

Rowland at the blade says 63-3.
09-01-2022 03:30 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
Whole season hinges on the O-line play. If they fall apart, the run game sucks and Finn gets beat up which means the defense is out on the field too much and loses gas come November.

We still have the same O-line coach that nobody wanted back and injuries are piling up. I’m beginning to think 7 wins might be asking too much
09-01-2022 05:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.