Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is Duke out of the running?
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10

There was a time where the general consensus was that NC and Duke were joined at the hip.

Now I'm starting to see comparisons to Wake Forrest, suggesting Duke is likely to be left behind.

Also seeing pro-SEC people adding Duke to suggested B10 invitee lists, but without NC. (Which would seem to indicate "We don't want 'em, you can have 'em".)

All of which seems to suggest to me that Duke is falling out of realignment favor.

What do you all think's going on?
08-25-2022 12:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
RE: Is Duke out of the running?
I feel like Former AD Kevin White was a lot more connected and respected. Current AD Nina King replaced a legend and has big shoes to fill.

Former UCF AD Danny White was a rumored replace his father at Duke. I don't know if something happened internally. There were a lot of questions around Danny because he made the UCF National Title claim while on the field at the Peach Bowl. Now Danny White is the AD at Tennessee. If he does have an axe to grind with Duke, he's in a pretty good position to keep them out of the SEC.
08-25-2022 01:11 PM
Mav Online
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
Awful football and uncertainty about the basketball program's future without Coach K at the helm. If Coach K was 10 years younger, or his replacement was already there and winning at the same level, I'm sure you'd see them get more respect. They're a victim of bad timing.
08-25-2022 02:05 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Coach K was making like $10 mil a year. If people really are concerned about Dook’s basketball future just remember that number. That wasn’t paid for with TV revenue money. The Scheyer will be on a very short leash.
08-25-2022 02:10 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Duke is dead last at attendance for P5. They will bring down any conferences numbers in that aspects. If Duke and Wake Forest were ever serious about football? They would have upgraded their facilities in the 80s, and started winning then. Same with Baylor as well. I still remember seeing Baylor getting blown out in the 80s and 90s as the worst team in the SWC and Big 12. I say yes. Duke, Wake Forest, Kansas, Baylor and Boston College will all suffer because of their history. Same with Miami Florida.
08-25-2022 02:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(08-25-2022 12:29 PM)Skyhawk Wrote:  Is Duke out of the running?

Not all, IMO.

Adding Duke seems to be a key piece of the B1G's expansion strategy as a fit alongside Northwestern, Notre Dame and Stanford as the nation's premier (private) universities competing in the upper tier of Division I.

Also think Duke's administration chooses the B1G even if UNC and UVA go to the SEC and the Devils are stuck on a geographical island in Durham
08-25-2022 02:19 PM
Advertisement

GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Retired
(08-25-2022 12:29 PM)Skyhawk Wrote:  Is Duke out of the running?

There was a time where the general consensus was that NC and Duke were joined at the hip.

Now I'm starting to see comparisons to Wake Forrest, suggesting Duke is likely to be left behind.

Also seeing pro-SEC people adding Duke to suggested B10 invitee lists, but without NC. (Which would seem to indicate "We don't want 'em, you can have 'em".)

All of which seems to suggest to me that Duke is falling out of realignment favor.

What do you all think's going on?

It will be interesting to see if some of these schools get out of the football business soon. Put the focus on soccer which may pay off big in 25-50 years.
08-25-2022 02:20 PM
PeteTheChop Online

(08-25-2022 02:10 PM)esayem Wrote:  Coach K was making like $10 mil a year

... and pretty much rolling out the ball with those Nike-sponsored recruits the last few years
08-25-2022 02:20 PM
PeteTheChop Online

(08-25-2022 02:20 PM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  Put the focus on soccer which may pay off big in 25-50 years.

So 100k in the Big House or 80k at Doak attending a college soccer match with millions watching from across the country?

God help us all
08-25-2022 02:23 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

(08-25-2022 02:20 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(08-25-2022 02:10 PM)esayem Wrote:  Coach K was making like $10 mil a year

... and pretty much rolling out the ball with those Nike-sponsored recruits the last few years

Scheyer was doing a lot of the coaching if you paid attention.
08-25-2022 02:24 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

(08-25-2022 02:16 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Duke is dead last at attendance for P5. They will bring down any conferences numbers in that aspects. If Duke and Wake Forest were ever serious about football? They would have upgraded their facilities in the 80s, and started winning then. Same with Baylor as well. I still remember seeing Baylor getting blown out in the 80s and 90s as the worst team in the SWC and Big 12. I say yes. Duke, Wake Forest, Kansas, Baylor and Boston College will all suffer because of their history. Same with Miami Florida.

Didn’t you just suggest 10k seater Central Oklahoma could move to FBS? Seriously, how does your brain work?
08-25-2022 02:26 PM
Advertisement

Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
Realignment discussions today are all about maximizing T1 football payouts…Texas, Oklahoma, USC and ND (against Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State & Michigan) deliver T1 football viewership.

Duke athletics is out of its element in today’s discussions. Duke needs to help develop a way to better commercialize basketball, lacrosse and women’s sports.
08-25-2022 02:26 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-25-2022 02:23 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(08-25-2022 02:20 PM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  Put the focus on soccer which may pay off big in 25-50 years.

So 100k in the Big House or 80k at Doak attending a college soccer match with millions watching from across the country?

God help us all

All team sports start to tank in 2036 and will get hammered by 2056. After X'ers there is a dramatic drop off in participation at any age and every study shows that those who don't play at some level have no identification with them and don't watch.

So, the much ballyhooed "Soccer" and "Lacross" proponents will not escape the demographic and cultural change any more than baseball, softball, basketball, or football.

We had better return to that recruitment ad about an Army of 1, because those recruits won't grasp team concepts either. Group tactics and survival go hand in hand in a hostile world. We had better un-geek, lose safe spaces, and wake up!
08-25-2022 02:35 PM
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Retired
(08-25-2022 02:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

God help us all

All team sports start to tank in 2036 and will get hammered by 2056. After X'ers there is a dramatic drop off in participation at any age and every study shows that those who don't play at some level have no identification with them and don't watch.

So, the much ballyhooed "Soccer" and "Lacross" proponents will not escape the demographic and cultural change any more than baseball, softball, basketball, or football.

We had better return to that recruitment ad about an Army of 1, because those recruits won't grasp team concepts either. Group tactics and survival go hand in hand in a hostile world. We had better un-geek, lose safe spaces, and wake up!

By soccer, I obviously meant the VR version. They can convert the stadiums into giant herb gardens.
08-25-2022 02:40 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

God help us all

While I think your point is well taken, when we look at the popularity of esports, or motorsports, and actually, when we look at the popularity of the Roman Coliseum - one did not need to be a former gladiator to want to go and enjoy the game.

So I don't think it's going away.

That said, sports will likely change and evolve, like anything else.

We already are seeing it in the rise of lacrosse, etc. And the shifting of boxing, etc.
08-25-2022 02:42 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
...IF the ACC implodes, it will interesting to see if Duke doesn't just pull a 'UCONN' (yeah I said it 03-drunk ) and go indy in football, and join the BigEast for bball...

...OR, become a 'all sports EXCEPT football' member of the B1G (yeah B1G doesn't do that but they might make an exception here, ESPECIALLY if NC gets in the B1G). Strange times call for strange actions, y'all... IF that happens, then the B1G could add Navy as football only (altho I would rather they remain in the AAC) to further entice ND.
08-25-2022 02:43 PM
Advertisement

Skyhawk Offline
All American

(08-25-2022 02:43 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...IF the ACC implodes, it will interesting to see if Duke doesn't just pull a 'UCONN' (yeah I said it 03-drunk ) and go indy in football, and join the BigEast for bball...

...OR, become a 'all sports EXCEPT football' member of the B1G (yeah B1G doesn't do that but they might make an exception here, ESPECIALLY if NC gets in the B1G). Strange times call for strange actions, y'all... IF that happens, then the B1G could add Navy as football only (altho I would rather they remain in the AAC) to further entice ND.

Well, following this logic, just add Duke and ND in all sports except FB.

Keeps the numbers even.

And if they open the doors to non-football members, I wonder if any current members of the B10 might also drop fb.
08-25-2022 02:49 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(08-25-2022 02:49 PM)Skyhawk Wrote:  
(08-25-2022 02:43 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...IF the ACC implodes, it will interesting to see if Duke doesn't just pull a 'UCONN' (yeah I said it 03-drunk ) and go indy in football, and join the BigEast for bball...

Well, following this logic, just add Duke and ND in all sports except FB.

Keeps the numbers even.

And if they open the doors to non-football members, I wonder if any current members of the B10 might also drop fb.

...if so, they could snag Gonzaga for hoops, especially if (when) the ORWA combo joins the B1G...

But I figure the P2 won't have any 'partial members' or whatever you call that... IF they would, Duke and/or ND (like you mentioned) would be the most likely candidates... although I figure the B1G would want an 'all or nothing' ultimatum for ND membership...
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2022 02:57 PM by GreenFreakUAB.)
08-25-2022 02:57 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(08-25-2022 02:16 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Duke is dead last at attendance for P5. They will bring down any conferences numbers in that aspects. If Duke and Wake Forest were ever serious about football? They would have upgraded their facilities in the 80s, and started winning then. Same with Baylor as well. I still remember seeing Baylor getting blown out in the 80s and 90s as the worst team in the SWC and Big 12. I say yes. Duke, Wake Forest, Kansas, Baylor and Boston College will all suffer because of their history. Same with Miami Florida.

Sounds like some good conference mates for Memphis. This is actually encouraging in a way.
08-25-2022 02:58 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-25-2022 02:42 PM)Skyhawk Wrote:  

God help us all

While I think your point is well taken, when we look at the popularity of esports, or motorsports, and actually, when we look at the popularity of the Roman Coliseum - one did not need to be a former gladiator to want to go and enjoy the game.

So I don't think it's going away.

That said, sports will likely change and evolve, like anything else.

We already are seeing it in the rise of lacrosse, etc. And the shifting of boxing, etc.

On the contrary, Rome fell, because the gladiators were captives, and their armies were full of conscripts from regions they once conquered, including Vandals and Goths, etc. Their stolen wealth led to political corruption and a spoiled upper class. Sounds familiar, huh?

No Skyhawk the demographics are quite clear and the correlation quite clear as well.

Esports? Wow, you were joking right? Motorsports are at a nadir compared to NASCAR, Formula I, & Indy Car racing days, etc. And those aren't really team sports.
08-25-2022 03:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.