Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Media contract
Bookmark and Share
Huan Offline
1st String

I Root For: TTU, USA,
Media contract
The big12 media contract doesn’t end till 2025 so presumably we renegotiate in 24. This will give the new 4 teams a season in the nBig 12, likely including games against OUT before renegotiation. But the hesitation of the corner 4 to jump may be in part because we don’t have hard $ numbers to quote. Should we hold the course or should the conference renegotiate early to get hard numbers? Would the $ numbers be much different early/this year versus in 24/2 years from now?
08-23-2022 11:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dave108 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: cincy
RE: Media contract
(08-23-2022 11:08 AM)Huan Wrote:  The big12 media contract doesn’t end till 2025 so presumably we renegotiate in 24. This will give the new 4 teams a season in the nBig 12, likely including games against OUT before renegotiation. But the hesitation of the corner 4 to jump may be in part because we don’t have hard $ numbers to quote. Should we hold the course or should the conference renegotiate early to get hard numbers? Would the $ numbers be much different early/this year versus in 24/2 years from now?

i think we'll see some moves this fall. i don't know that the PAC has gotten any better
numbers, from anyone - esp. if UO moves, you'll see one or two come to the B12. then, the B10 will just gut the PAC, and the B12 may get one or two more. Just give it some time.
08-23-2022 02:23 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I don't think there is much we can do now. I doubt ESPN or FOX wishes to start talks this early. Only move might be adding SD State to start in 2024, blocking that move for PAC. Odd # doesn't matter short term with no divisions for championship game.
08-28-2022 09:27 AM
The WEST is the BEST Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(08-23-2022 11:08 AM)Huan Wrote:  The big12 media contract doesn’t end till 2025 so presumably we renegotiate in 24. This will give the new 4 teams a season in the nBig 12, likely including games against OUT before renegotiation. But the hesitation of the corner 4 to jump may be in part because we don’t have hard $ numbers to quote. Should we hold the course or should the conference renegotiate early to get hard numbers? Would the $ numbers be much different early/this year versus in 24/2 years from now?

Discussions have already been in process. Big 12 has been provided early numbers for expected candidates. Right now, we are waiting on the B1G taking four additional PAC12 members - which will happen. The fact that B1G was informed of the value of new members beyond USC and UCLA was a clear indication of their intentions. Especially in light of the response by the president of the univ Of Cal system concerning UCLA not receiving permission from the system for the move. The threat of a lawsuit and UCLA, not joining will force this decision. It's just a maker of time.
08-28-2022 11:05 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
With the loss of Big10 content----it would not surprise me if ESPN opts for an early renegotiation to insure they have the rest of their current P5 content locked down.
08-28-2022 01:42 PM
Advertisement

Huan Offline
1st String

I Root For: TTU, USA,
(08-28-2022 01:42 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  With the loss of Big10 content----it would not surprise me if ESPN opts for an early renegotiation to insure they have the rest of their current P5 content locked down.

But would it benefit us to go earlier or wait till after at least the 23 season
08-28-2022 02:05 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(08-28-2022 02:05 PM)Huan Wrote:  
(08-28-2022 01:42 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  With the loss of Big10 content----it would not surprise me if ESPN opts for an early renegotiation to insure they have the rest of their current P5 content locked down.

But would it benefit us to go earlier or wait till after at least the 23 season

Yormark isn't going to wait if there is an opportunity to make a move. The P12 waited and to some extent so did the old B12 in terms of aggressiveness in expansion negotiations. The nB12 isn't going to make the same mistake twice. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Yormark and Warren have had some "unofficial" talks...
08-28-2022 02:42 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
I think the current media partners would have to agree to a look-in this early. My guess is, like with the Big Ten, they'd wait until the Pac-12 deal finalizes. ESPN/FOX want firm numbers from one before moving on to the next.

Until then, the Big 12 can float numbers to pundits that make it look like the Pac-12 is going to dissolve, hoping teams get cold feet and make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It does seem the Big Ten is looking to secure a conference's worth of Pac-12 money from ESPN for adding 2 more PTZ teams ('maybe' 4 more half-share PTZ teams?).

The ball is in ESPN's court. How do they want to fill those late time slots? 4 teams in the ACC? Can they keep the whole Pac-10 together on the cheap? If they want to get PTZ teams to the Big 12, they might have to start "hinting at" some $30M+ numbers for the league.
08-28-2022 02:46 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I wouldn't expect contract talks to open up much before the scheduled time. Easier on networks to wait and see what happens between now and then.
08-29-2022 07:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.