Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Come Play For Us! - Support the Band (not an NIL)
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Some good ideas regarding doing some things to help the Marching Owl Band (aka: MOB) do some higher-level things on- and off- the field, in order to enhance the student-musician experience, as well as game-day atmosphere and school spirit.

My initial proposal for consideration is to improve travel opportunities for band members, we find ways to help the band travel to 4 or 5 events a year, instead of the 1 or 2 they currently support (I’m counting as “currently” one away football game plus the conference basketball tournament held annually in the DFW area)

We also noticed what looked like a successful fundraising drive by the band to secure funding to travel to the football season opener at USC. (Hopefully that will stand on its own and the university will still fund the bus-distance road trip we usually make for another road game).

Usually that funded road game is picked based on both proximity and game or campus significance.

But we play six road games a year. What if you’re an alum or supporter in a town that’s not on the A list for the regular circuit? What if you live in Ruston and you’re afraid the band won’t travel up there for another farewell to our conference performance (shades of the most awesome ‘Welcome to the Best Western Athletic Conference’ show, but I digress…)

The answer, is for all cities where Rice Football is playing in the season to “bid” for the band to “Come Play For Us”. All the funds raised go in the travel kitty, and the band is able to schedule road trips to as many destinations as funds allow. And as student time demands allow. The USF road trip next year doesn’t have to be a requirement, and it’s cheaper to load up a small bus for an extended road trip than take the entire production (much like the Basketball Owl Band - BOB approach).

Ultimately this should encourage student participation without generating an onerous ask. Play the six home games plus travel to at least one road game, you can pick which one. And with the right momentum we can have presence at every single road game on the schedule.

And how I’d love for Memphis to get the *opportunity* to fully experience the Rice Band’s “Johnny Football” treatment.

Go Rice!
Go Rice Band!
Rice Supporter of Bands since 1982.

(I’m just a Rice SOB)

The MOB came up around post #42 here:

New Rice President
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?s...source=app

Let’s keep some good ideas flowing!
08-20-2022 10:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Texasowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice University
RE: Come Play For Us! - Support the Band (not an NIL)
Why doesnt the MOB sponsor volunteer activities to raise additional funds for travel such as a fun run on campus, beer drinking contest, bingo night etc in addition to just asking for funds. I think you will be surprised how much money you can raise if you make it a fun activity for students and supporters.
(08-20-2022 10:33 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  Some good ideas regarding doing some things to help the Marching Owl Band (aka: MOB) do some higher-level things on- and off- the field, in order to enhance the student-musician experience, as well as game-day atmosphere and school spirit.

My initial proposal for consideration is to improve travel opportunities for band members, we find ways to help the band travel to 4 or 5 events a year, instead of the 1 or 2 they currently support (I’m counting as “currently” one away football game plus the conference basketball tournament held annually in the DFW area)

We also noticed what looked like a successful fundraising drive by the band to secure funding to travel to the football season opener at USC. (Hopefully that will stand on its own and the university will still fund the bus-distance road trip we usually make for another road game).

Usually that funded road game is picked based on both proximity and game or campus significance.

But we play six road games a year. What if you’re an alum or supporter in a town that’s not on the A list for the regular circuit? What if you live in Ruston and you’re afraid the band won’t travel up there for another farewell to our conference performance (shades of the most awesome ‘Welcome to the Best Western Athletic Conference’ show, but I digress…)

The answer, is for all cities where Rice Football is playing in the season to “bid” for the band to “Come Play For Us”. All the funds raised go in the travel kitty, and the band is able to schedule road trips to as many destinations as funds allow. And as student time demands allow. The USF road trip next year doesn’t have to be a requirement, and it’s cheaper to load up a small bus for an extended road trip than take the entire production (much like the Basketball Owl Band - BOB approach).

Ultimately this should encourage student participation without generating an onerous ask. Play the six home games plus travel to at least one road game, you can pick which one. And with the right momentum we can have presence at every single road game on the schedule.

And how I’d love for Memphis to get the *opportunity* to fully experience the Rice Band’s “Johnny Football” treatment.

Go Rice!
Go Rice Band!
Rice Supporter of Bands since 1982.

(I’m just a Rice SOB)

The MOB came up around post #42 here:

New Rice President
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?s...source=app

Let’s keep some good ideas flowing!
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2022 04:12 PM by Texasowl.)
08-20-2022 04:10 PM
flash3200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice/EOLRRF
(08-20-2022 10:33 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  What if you live in Ruston

LMAO. Have you been to Ruston?

Rest of the post was good. I'm sure there a few that are fine with supporting the MOB on some conditional level.
08-20-2022 08:59 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(08-20-2022 08:59 PM)flash3200 Wrote:  

Rest of the post was good. I'm sure there a few that are fine with supporting the MOB on some conditional level.

At least a half dozen times for mountain biking, plus the first Rice game at LaTech after they were added to the WAC.

There are at least three good restaurants and some great piney woods just outside of town.

But ok probably not a huge Rice alumni base.

Hopefully get Tulane on heavy rotation starting next year…
08-20-2022 10:34 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(08-20-2022 10:34 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  

At least a half dozen times for mountain biking, plus the first Rice game at LaTech after they were added to the WAC.

There are at least three good restaurants and some great piney woods just outside of town.

Been to Ruston three times, twice for football, once for baseball.

Might as well include Shreveport as part of the greater Ruston Metropolitan Statistical Area - that is where you will find most Rice alumni in NW LA. Include Marshall, Tyler, and the rest of NE Texas. I am sure our alumni in those areas would be happy to go to see the revitalized MOB (and revitalized Owls).
08-21-2022 09:38 AM
cthrockmorton Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
These are fun ideas!
As our numbers continue to recover, we will be able to have a "pep band" that doesn't cause all our upper-classpeople to fail their academic classes.

This sounds fun.
Chuck Throckmorton
Director of Bands
08-22-2022 01:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
flash3200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice/EOLRRF
(08-21-2022 09:38 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-20-2022 10:34 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  

Been to Ruston three times, twice for football, once for baseball.

Might as well include Shreveport as part of the greater Ruston Metropolitan Statistical Area - that is where you will find most Rice alumni in NW LA. Include Marshall, Tyler, and the rest of NE Texas. I am sure our alumni in those areas would be happy to go to see the revitalized MOB (and revitalized Owls).

I hail from Bossier City originally and have had a few family members live in Ruston...just trolling you a bit. Getting the MOB on the road more would be a nice thing to see regardless of where they end up even if it is Ruston.
08-25-2022 06:54 PM
Grungy Offline

I Root For: Rice

New Orleans Bowl
(08-22-2022 01:11 PM)cthrockmorton Wrote:  These are fun ideas!
As our numbers continue to recover, we will be able to have a "pep band" that doesn't cause all our upper-classpeople to fail their academic classes.

This sounds fun.
Chuck Throckmorton
Director of Bands

This.
It's not as much of an issue early in the fall, but when the performances for basketball start, there are a lot of performances, and it is exhausting.
I can't imagine how the students find the time, and as Chuck is mentioning, sometimes they don't.
08-26-2022 09:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.