Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gun Rights v Federalism
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
Gun Rights v Federalism
This case presents two topics I definitely believe in squarely against one another.

https://reason.com/2022/08/19/a-case-tha...ederalism/

Relevant background: 2005 Shrub "signed into law the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA), a statute designed to protect gun makers, dealers, distributors, and importers from being sued "for the harm caused by the misuse of firearms by third parties, including criminals.""

Pennsylvania state case, where a kid accidentally killed his friend, thinking the semi-auto was unloaded because the magazine had been removed. There was 'one in the chamber'.

Dead child's family sues, and the Penn appellate court had to face the PLCAA, and found it unconstitutional -- citing that tort law is the province of the states themselves.

Edited to add specifically -- the family sued the gun manufacturer.

This still has to go to the Penn Supreme Court, and almost certainly land in Federal court. The wild thing is how this will shift positions of 'political' views.

Anti-gun activists will now be clamoring for stronger 10th Amendment considerations more typically voiced by conservatives and libertarians. All the while gun rights supporters will be supporting less 10th Amendment interaction more typically voiced by progressives.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2022 03:07 PM by tanqtonic.)
08-19-2022 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Gun Rights v Federalism
According to the article, the defendant is the gun manufacturer, but the article doesn’t say who that was. Who is it, and what is their presence in PA?
08-19-2022 02:46 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-19-2022 02:46 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  According to the article, the defendant is the gun manufacturer, but the article doesn’t say who that was. Who is it, and what is their presence in PA?

Debating how much of a smartass answer I can get away with ---

The cause of action is entitled Gustafson v. Springfield, Inc. per the article

I would hazard a guess the family is not named Springfield, Inc. 03-wink

Are you now asking the Con Law 101 question on personal jurisdiction? Springfield sells literally millions of firearms per year across the nation. I would expect some of them a directed specifically into Pennsylvania.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2022 03:11 PM by tanqtonic.)
08-19-2022 03:10 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
I mistook your opening post for an invitation to have a discussion. My apologies, and I’ll leave you to it.
08-19-2022 05:15 PM
Advertisement

tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-19-2022 05:15 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  I mistook your opening post for an invitation to have a discussion. My apologies, and I’ll leave you to it.

I would love to hear your points in discussion. The company is Springfield and they sell a lot of guns -- most likely a lot of guns into Pennsylvania as well.

The company was denoted in the cause of action, and I thought the (winky) emoji would suffice as being a note of the comment not being attacking.
08-19-2022 07:42 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
The PLCAA has always bothered me... not because it is wrong, but because it SHOULD be unnecessary. I HATE laws that have to codify common sense
08-21-2022 11:34 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
close enough...

another example of...well, you know what I'm sayin'....

VIDEO: Man tries to rob hotel clerk at gunpoint, she pulls gun on him instead
02-13-2023 01:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.