Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Notre Dame TV deal expected to exceed $60M annually.
ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
New Notre Dame TV deal expected to exceed $60M annually.
One interesting tidbit is that Notre Dame’s season as an ACC member had their highest viewership since 2005. Numbers dropped 50% the following season. Another bullet point for the ND admins to consider wrt staying independent.

https://frontofficesports.com/notre-dame...-annually/
08-17-2022 08:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eichorst Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Nebraska
RE: New Notre Dame TV deal expected to exceed $60M annually.
(08-17-2022 08:19 PM)ColKurtz Wrote:  One interesting tidbit is that Notre Dame’s season as an ACC member had their highest viewership since 2005. Numbers dropped 50% the following season. Another bullet point for the ND admins to consider wrt staying independent.

Really makes ya think that ND + ACC + some Pac-12 schools might be able to keep the B1G and SEC at bay.
08-18-2022 12:47 AM
Cleanface Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Legends/Leaders
(08-17-2022 08:19 PM)ColKurtz Wrote:  One interesting tidbit is that Notre Dame’s season as an ACC member had their highest viewership since 2005. Numbers dropped 50% the following season. Another bullet point for the ND admins to consider wrt staying independent.

Was CFB up across the board?? Everybody was home watching TV w COVID that year.
08-18-2022 01:34 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

Covid year. Not relevant to anything else.

If ND joined the ACC in full, it would not get the $80 million or so it will get as an independent from NBC, the ACC partial share and the ACC Network full share.

ND joining the ACC for football would not bump the ESPN and conference payouts to $80 million a year.

Why would ND football lock itself into a GOR for 14 more years AND make less money than this new deal?

That would be a poor business decision.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2022 06:06 AM by TerryD.)
08-18-2022 06:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(08-18-2022 01:34 AM)Cleanface Wrote:  

Was CFB up across the board?? Everybody was home watching TV w COVID that year.

I believe no, they were actually in general lower that season. Notre Dame was an exception, helped by the fact they went undefeated in the regular season before the ACC Championship Game and played a thrilling game vs. Clemson. The Big Ten only played an 8 game schedule, Ohio State only wound up playing 5 regular season games, Michigan-Ohio State was a COVID-19 casualty, Penn State started 0-5, Michigan struggled, etc.
08-18-2022 06:36 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
Save independence at all costs!
08-18-2022 07:56 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
$60 million strikes me as low. Yeah I know you combine in with ACC money for the other sports and it is more, but it still strikes me as low. ND's current deal doesn't expire for four football seasons, and rights fees seem to keep going up.

Unless NBC is willing to amend the current deal to boost payouts to $60m (or $50m, something a lot more than the current $22m I've seen reported) sooner than 2026, I think ND should wait a couple more years before beginning negotiations rather than do what the SEC did with its old CBS package and sign a deal 3 years in advance of when the old deal expires. IMO the SEC likely cost itself money doing that.

Recent history says if you wait, you get paid more, and if ND is going to get that IMO lousy $22m a year for the next four years anyway, it might as well wait.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2022 08:14 AM by quo vadis.)
08-18-2022 08:12 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(08-18-2022 08:12 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  $60 million strikes me as low. Yeah I know you combine in with ACC money for the other sports and it is more, but it still strikes me as low. ND's current deal doesn't expire for four football seasons, and rights fees seem to keep going up.

Unless NBC is willing to amend the current deal boost payouts to $60m sooner than 2026, I think ND should wait a couple more years before beginning negotiations rather than do what the SEC did and sign a deal 3 years in advance of when the old deal expires.

Recent history says if you wait, you get paid more, and if ND is going to get that IMO lousy $22m a year for the next four years anyway, it might as well wait.
Well a lot of these deals include renegotiating the last couple of years of the current deal. And a big question is how long the new deal is for.

Let's see, sources said that he ESPN turned down a 7-year Big Ten deal. So the big 10 is probably doing a 7-year deal that takes you to 2030.

So if Notre Dame signs a deal next week that bumps up the 23, 24, 25 money and extends the deal to 2030, I don't see any risk of Notre Dame getting outpaced by a new round of contracts.
08-18-2022 08:16 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-18-2022 08:16 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(08-18-2022 08:12 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  $60 million strikes me as low. Yeah I know you combine in with ACC money for the other sports and it is more, but it still strikes me as low. ND's current deal doesn't expire for four football seasons, and rights fees seem to keep going up.

Unless NBC is willing to amend the current deal boost payouts to $60m sooner than 2026, I think ND should wait a couple more years before beginning negotiations rather than do what the SEC did and sign a deal 3 years in advance of when the old deal expires.

Well a lot of these deals include renegotiating the last couple of years of the current deal. And a big question is how long the new deal is for.

Let's see, sources said that he ESPN turned down a 7-year Big Ten deal. So the big 10 is probably doing a 7-year deal that takes you to 2030.

So if Notre Dame signs a deal next week that bumps up the 23, 24, 25 money and extends the deal to 2030, I don't see any risk of Notre Dame getting outpaced by a new round of contracts.

I agree.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2022 08:47 AM by quo vadis.)
08-18-2022 08:42 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2022 07:56 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  Save independence at all costs!

Welcome aboard !!!
08-18-2022 09:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-18-2022 06:05 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

If ND joined the ACC in full, it would not get the $80 million or so it will get as an independent from NBC, the ACC partial share and the ACC Network full share.

ND joining the ACC for football would not bump the ESPN and conference payouts to $80 million a year.

Why would ND football lock itself into a GOR for 14 more years AND make less money than this new deal?

Terry, I get you don't think/want ND to join the ACC, especially in view of B1G $$$. Agreed, end of story.

However, the fact that ND got its best TV numbers since 2005 while playing a full ACC schedule (i.e. competing for the conference championship) cannot be attributed to "Covid year". Now, did novelty play a factor? I'm sure it did. Does ND historically get better numbers playing ACC teams than most others? Yes, they do.

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2022/...tings.html
08-18-2022 01:54 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(08-18-2022 01:54 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Terry, I get you don't think/want ND to join the ACC, especially in view of B1G $$$. Agreed, end of story.

However, the fact that ND got its best TV numbers since 2005 while playing a full ACC schedule (i.e. competing for the conference championship) cannot be attributed to "Covid year". Now, did novelty play a factor? I'm sure it did. Does ND historically get better numbers playing ACC teams than most others? Yes, they do.

Perfect regular season combined with no patsies on the schedule and limited B1G alternatives was like a perfect storm for ND that year. Rather than showing how great ND is in the ACC, I think that it shows how great ND can be from a ratings perspective when they're really good on the field.
08-18-2022 02:16 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2022 02:16 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

Perfect regular season combined with no patsies on the schedule and limited B1G alternatives was like a perfect storm for ND that year. Rather than showing how great ND is in the ACC, I think that it shows how great ND can be from a ratings perspective when they're really good on the field.

ND went 9-0 in the ACC regular season that year. There were patsies on the schedule. (without naming names)

Other than Clemson, the ACC schedule was underwhelming and that experience further solidified football independence among ND fans. They didn't like it.

ND was grateful for the opportunity but disliked playing 9 teams from the same conference.
08-18-2022 02:21 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

For the record, I don't want ND to join the Big Ten, either, especially now that it is getting a big raise from NBC.

I thought ND would pull the trigger and have to join to stay competitive, but am very happy that did not happen.
08-18-2022 02:23 PM
GeminiCoog Online
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
(08-18-2022 02:21 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

ND went 9-0 in the ACC regular season that year. There were patsies on the schedule. (without naming names)

Other than Clemson, the ACC schedule was underwhelming and that experience further solidified football independence among ND fans. They didn't like it.

ND was grateful for the opportunity but disliked playing 9 teams from the same conference.

For the record, I'm a Houston fan first, but I still like/pull for Notre Dame more than I probably should. lol Anyway, I'm not gonna lie. I liked the fact they played a full conference schedule, especially the first game against Clemson. That game was why I thought they should've maintained full ACC membership.

But again, that's just one college football fan's opinion.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2022 02:35 PM by GeminiCoog.)
08-18-2022 02:34 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(08-18-2022 06:05 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Why would ND football lock itself into a GOR for 14 more years AND make less money than this new deal?

Pity?
08-18-2022 02:47 PM
Advertisement

BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
I just don’t see NBC dumping that amount of money on top of what they just did with the BigTen deal. I understand you are combining what the Irish get from the ACC as well, but with all the cord cutting and cable not even being what it use to be I find it hard for NBC unless they put ALL their games on Peacock where subscribers would have to pay for the premium to watch. If this is the case then maybe, but I’m having hard time seeing it.

Also if the Irish joined the ACC I’m sure the negotiations in doing so would be an agreement with the conference and ESPN dropping the GORs to a more reasonable timeframe than 14yrs.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2022 10:35 PM by BigOwensboroCard.)
08-18-2022 10:33 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M

There were some bad ACC teams, sure, but no C-USA or Pac teams at least.
08-18-2022 10:58 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA

So why would Notre Dame want to join the B1G??? You make my point for me, TerryD. 05-stirthepot 03-shhhh
08-18-2022 11:04 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-18-2022 02:34 PM)GeminiCoog Wrote:  
(08-18-2022 06:05 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Covid year. Not relevant to anything else.

For the record, I'm a Houston fan first, but I still like/pull for Notre Dame more than I probably should. lol Anyway, I'm not gonna lie. I liked the fact they played a full conference schedule, especially the first game against Clemson. That game was why I thought they should've maintained full ACC membership.

But again, that's just one college football fan's opinion.

Too young to remember Joe Montana and the ice bowl in Dallas. I got on a plane and UH was up 20 late in the 3rd or early in the 4th. Got off the plane and they had lost to ND.
08-18-2022 11:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.