Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A different take on the USC/UCLA move- another reason why
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
A different take on the USC/UCLA move- another reason why
I apologize for the very wordy title, but I suddenly had this thought, and wanted to publish it.

I recall awhile back that Stanford University was having a real problem, and they were trying to come up an outside-the-box solution. The problem was that many of the students they had recruited from the Midwest didn't want to return to the Midwest after graduation. They wanted to stay in the Bay Area. As different type of solution, Stanford had its big money donors get together and come up with a new scholarship: not only was tuition covered, but I believe room & board was covered as well. The only catch?? You had to return to the Midwest after graduation.

I just got to thinking about that when I was really going through the full ramifications of USC & UCLA going to the B1G. Then it hit me!!! Part of the reason why they are doing this is not just because of the $$'s, but it gives them another source of regular students as well. Students that could get in on their own merits and not have some famous parent(s) trying to force them in. I might be totally off-base, but I seriously have to wonder if that played some role in their decision making.
08-16-2022 01:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
RE: A different take on the USC/UCLA move- another reason why
(08-16-2022 01:24 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  UCLA by charter has 99% of it's domestic students from California. Out of state students tend to be 4.0 Valedictorians on merit scholarship not bringing any more cash in than a dead broke Hispanic kid from San Bernadino. UCLA did have 20-25% foreign students, which before Covid were over 80% from the PRC; not sure the break down right now.

USC recruits more internationally than in the Midwest. It makes little difference to them. It's all about athletics and athletic funding for the Trojans.

BTW, Stanford and Arizona are the two schools who recruit significantly outside the Pac-12 footprint, mostly in Texas.

https://admission.ucla.edu/apply/student-profile

Fall 2020 had:
46% SoCal
29% Rest of Cal
16% USA (non-Cal)
9% International

It looks like the transfer stats line up with your ~1% being from the "rest of the US" though.
08-16-2022 10:13 AM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
(08-16-2022 01:04 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  I apologize for the very wordy title, but I suddenly had this thought, and wanted to publish it.

I recall awhile back that Stanford University was having a real problem, and they were trying to come up an outside-the-box solution. The problem was that many of the students they had recruited from the Midwest didn't want to return to the Midwest after graduation. They wanted to stay in the Bay Area. As different type of solution, Stanford had its big money donors get together and come up with a new scholarship: not only was tuition covered, but I believe room & board was covered as well. The only catch?? You had to return to the Midwest after graduation.

I just got to thinking about that when I was really going through the full ramifications of USC & UCLA going to the B1G. Then it hit me!!! Part of the reason why they are doing this is not just because of the $$'s, but it gives them another source of regular students as well. Students that could get in on their own merits and not have some famous parent(s) trying to force them in. I might be totally off-base, but I seriously have to wonder if that played some role in their decision making.

Why would Stanford grads who opt to stay in the Bay Area be a problem for the school? Why would Stanford care where its graduates opt to reside and work? Stanford probably should worry more that its most successful students don't even graduate. They dream up something when they're freshmen or sophomores, make billions overnight, and drop out.
08-16-2022 10:43 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(08-16-2022 01:04 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  I apologize for the very wordy title, but I suddenly had this thought, and wanted to publish it.

You're referring to a scholarship from the Stanford MBA program specifically - there's a scholarship for students from Midwestern states that will be applied provided that they return to the Midwest to work for at least 2 out of the 4 years following graduation.

Stanford undergrad provides zero merit scholarships at all outside of athletic scholarships. However, they provide a lot of need-based financial aid purely based on income. Whenever a non-athlete says that they received a "scholarship" to Stanford for college, what they really mean is that they received need-based financial aid. (This is the same for the Ivy League schools except that they also don't provide any athletic scholarships, so anyone that receives money to attend an Ivy is based solely on financial need.)

In any event, it's all in the other direction where the Midwestern Big Ten schools are trying to get California students (particularly the ones that *didn't* get into Stanford, Cal, USC and UCLA) to come out-of-state as opposed to the other way around. All of the top California-based schools are completely flooded with applicants from everywhere and their main problem is the perception that they aren't giving enough consideration to in-state students as opposed to attracting out-of-state students.
08-16-2022 10:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(08-16-2022 01:24 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  UCLA by charter has 99% of it's domestic students from California. Out of state students tend to be 4.0 Valedictorians on merit scholarship not bringing any more cash in than a dead broke Hispanic kid from San Bernadino. UCLA did have 20-25% foreign students, which before Covid were over 80% from the PRC; not sure the break down right now.

USC recruits more internationally than in the Midwest. It makes little difference to them. It's all about athletics and athletic funding for the Trojans.

BTW, Stanford and Arizona are the two schools who recruit significantly outside the Pac-12 footprint, mostly in Texas.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/...diversity/
UCLA gets 14.4% of their U.S. students from out-of-state and 12.33% from out-of-country. The UC schools like to bring in students from out-of-state or out-of-country because those students pay a higher tuition.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/...20country.
USC gets 49.85% of their U.S. students from out-of-state and 15.19% from out-of-country.

As for recruiting, Stanford recruits nationwide, as those Oregon. In the 2022 football recruiting class, Arizona got 14 of their 23 football recruits in the 2022 recruiting class from California, with 13 of those 14 from Southern California. They also got 4 recruits from Arizona, 1 from Utah and 1 from Hawaii. Only 3 came outside the Pac-12 footprint (1 each from Maine, Massachusetts and Florida). None came from Texas. Arizona recruits Southern California heavily in all sports.

USC/UCLA are leaving for the Big Ten because of the money. If the Big Ten media deal was $50 million per school, they would be staying in the Pac-12.
08-16-2022 11:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.